Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I have lest than a year left (only doing 4) and havent touched any benifits or anything education wise while in, how do I know I fall under post 9/11 bill? becuase that is the one I obviously want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I got a letter saying all my GI Bill stuff for this summer semester is good to go, ect, was just wondering in relation to when school starts (say, June 15th)...when should I be expecting my book stipend? If I read the letter correctly I swear its telling me that is posts the day before the semester in question starts (June 14th)

?

Also:

I know I qualify for the yellow ribbon program, I mailed in my copy of my initial contract and have it saying I qualify for it on the same letter as the ones I was describing above ^

Was wondering (FL resident) what other grants or money could I be going after? Anything im not taking advantage of? Other than the GI Bill

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I have no idea when the stipend hits. Seems like it comes at a reasonable time every semester, but if it's a huge concern just buy the books yourself and keep the stipend money.

The Pel Grant every year. Pays out Fall and Spring. Get on FAFSA and grab that one. It's pretty much guaranteed money. You might not get the full amount possible if you're coming straight off of active duty paychecks.

edit: If you're coming off fourish years of active duty(?) and you didn't squirrel enough away to buy books.. see if there's still time to re-enlist.

i did 6, thanks for being a smartass

Nah was just curiopus when it comes, not hurting, jus wanna know when that extra change will be coming in is all.

--Also, when should I expect my first GI Bill housing payment (in relation to my school starting June 15th)?

all apologies fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 11, 2015

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

not caring here posted:

So I assume things like the Pell get approved or cut down based on income? If so, how do measure your income, tax return?

I ask because my taxable income has hit nil since I get out of the army, and it's just the disability fun bucks. I did get in a full year's of work on my last tax return though.

I just uploaded my data with my IRS PIN that I somehow remembered, for 14-15 I got like 7 something, then next year 1,200. It just does it based off your tax info. I just did it too and it already hit.

The school said once my GI Bill payment comes to them it will offset the PELL grant and a few weeks into my first semester i will get some green piece of mail with a card in it asking me how I want my refund money

As I understood it, I dunno.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
When should I expect my first GI Bill housing payment (in relation to my school starting June 15th)?

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Anyone have any experience with the book stipend and when it hits? I start school June 15, i would like to buy these books soon(ish), hoping it hits soon..

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Also for YR I had to mail a copy of my contract to the VA, then I was good to go.

Looks like I got the PELL grant, when should I expect that re reimbursement? I signed up with my schools "green card" and selected deposit in my bank account, wonder when thast would come my way

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
gracias

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
So...I started class June 16th...how does the bah payment work? Will I see half a months worth on July 1st? Or am I going to be waiting two months for anything

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

FireTora posted:

You'll get BAH for June 16-30th on July 1st. Prorated by day I believe, as long as its been processed by the VA already.

Ok cool thanks and yeah it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Cole posted:

:siren: IF YOU HAVE 30%+ DISABILITY RATING AND YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS AND REQUIRES HEALTH INSURANCE, YOU COULD BE LEAVING A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE:siren:

My school offers health insurance. You can only turn it down if you have your own health insurance. The GI Bill pays for the health insurance. I also have a disability rating of 30%+, so I have tricare. My school accepts tricare, which means I basically have two health insurance plans.

The school's health insurance for the fall semester is around $1400. After the GI Bill paid my tuition -- which included the health insurance premium -- I signed a waiver declining the school's insurance plan and received a $1400 refund in my student account, which meant $1400 in my pocket.

The GI Bill has hidden money everywhere. 

oh cool, im going in tomorrow and asking about health insurance, i dont recall ever answering yes or no to anything health insurance related

• Locked thread