Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Is there a table of maximum tuition payment for each state somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

There used to be, but the GI Bill changed a few years ago to make this no longer necessary.

Is the school public? Then everything is covered as far as tuition/fees goes.

Is the school private? Then you get $18,300/year (year starts 1 August)

Anything over $18,300/year is up to Yellow Ribbon to cover, which varies based on the university.

How do I calculate partial GI Bill?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The VA denied my application for post-911 benefits because I didn't relinquish Chapter 1607 benefits. I guess the two times I sent in the signed paper doing so didn't count.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

blue squares posted:

Nice.
Though the unemployment wasn't all for nothing. I got 11k out of it and paid off my credit card. I'll most likely be going straight to grad school, and have no interest in ever working for a for-profit company (except for MAYBE a publishing company), which just isn't something people here seem to understand. Making lots of money isn't going to make me a happy, fulfilled person (which is good since I probably never will).

Publishing is only technically for profit these days.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

You can't transfer benefits if you're not 100%, I just looked it up. He transferred 18mos to each child, which is paid out the same as any service member. They just have 18mos of bennies and not 36.

Could you link me where it says so?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

You need 6yr of active service to qualify for any transfer options, with additional obligations. Even if you took SLRP or any other incentive that pushes out your eligibility, you would be at 100% when it came time to transfer.

I'm on my phone but if you look at the criteria for transfer vs the criteria to be 100% Post 9/11 (even with SLRP/ADSO) it's impossible to not be 100%.

benefits.va.gov says

quote:

Has at least six years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval and agrees to serve four additional years in the armed forces from the date of election.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not allowing members to attend for-profit colleges would cripple the SNCO and officer ranks above Captain.

It's tradition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchase_of_commissions_in_the_British_army

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oneday for Life posted:

So if I decided to join the Reserves the day after I end Active Duty in order to continue to get health insurance and $350 extra bucks a month, do I still count as being in the military or do I count as Veteran? Will I be able to claim full 9/11 benefits or will it be as if I was still in the military?

Also, I'm guessing I won't be able to claim unemployment if I'm in the Reserves, so would it be better to just skip the Reserves and get free gov money for a short period of time (26 weeks in Texas?), or should I go with the guaranteed option of a smaller amount but cheap benefits for however long I decide to be in the Reserves?

When it comes to taxes in 2016, will I be able to even get a grant since I technically will have made a decent amount of money this year? I think BAH for here is like $1600, which is nice, but I'm kind of worried about making ends meet during breaks and poo poo. I'd love to get all the free disability money and poo poo people are telling me to get, but unfortunately I didn't get shot or anything. I broke my finger once, but that doesn't even qualify for 10%. I'm going for an engineering degree, so I'd realllly like to work as little as possible while I'm in school and still be able to live a semi-comfortable life.

You count as a veteran and in the military for whichever purposes you need, with a few exceptions. You can get full GI Bill and you also get a real CAC card for discounts and base access.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

Fair warning: You will pay 205$/month for healthcare that is not as good as active duty healthcare.

That's the family plan. Individual Tricare Reserve is like $50 and you can't beat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I get nervous crossing streets with garbage or huge crowds

Or huge crowds of garbage which is why you avoid St Patrick's Day?

• Locked thread