Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
PBS Frontline is currently airing a pretty decent program on the glut of Post-9/11 GI Bill money going to for-profit colleges.

It's making me alternately :saddowns: and :mad:. According to the VA, vets who choose for-profit schools are only graduating at a 28% success rate, versus 56% at traditional schools. So many are getting hosed out of degrees when they're refused accommodations, or they need to switch schools and the credits won't transfer.

Here ya go:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/educating-sergeant-pantzke/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

sharkbomb posted:

Question about college application process:

I left school and enlisted in the Navy about 5 years ago (my bad). This means I'll have to apply as a transfer student.

Every school wants a "College Official's Report" in which the dean/advisor discloses disciplinary problems and gives an evaluation. It's been 5 years... did schools still make you guys submit this form?

If yes, what is the process? Do I just mail the form to my previous school's dean and hope he will fill it out for me 5 different times?

All they'll ask for is a copy of your transcript, so depending on your initial school you may have to shell out cash for an official copy to be sent. Some schools are first-time-is-free though. Oddly enough, they may also want a copy of your HS transcript even if it's been a decade since you went.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

moker posted:

They took away 3,000 from my refund for some reason randomly....had to play phone tag for 45 minutes to get it back. Be sure to stay on top of y'alls poo poo because they seem to make plenty of errors often

This is a matter of the VA trying to recover the $3000 advances made to thousands of military members back when the Post-9/11 GI Bill wasn't properly financed. Except for some reason they are taking said advances back when the individual never took advantage of the bill.

In any case, they are required to notify you of their intent (even though several guys I've talked to got that notification over a year ago, forgot about it, and just now got their pension docked), and I'm glad they were willing to correct the fuckup in your situation.

• Locked thread