Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010
Vasudus,

It has been a while since I've read over this whole thread, so I can't recall if you have cleared an issue like this before; so I have yet to receive any BAH for the month of Oct. I received a letter from the VA saying that I was going to receive BAH from the 1st of Nov until 12 Dec, and I'm quite confused since I begun the quarter on the 24th of Sep, I mean the only issue I can see is that I was AD until the 3rd of Oct, but the Navy only gave me BAH for those 3 days of Oct, so I should still rate 28 days of G.I Bill BAH, right? or am pretty misinformed? your assistance with this will be very helpful. thanks.

Forgot to add some info: Rate 100% of GI Bill, have already received book stipend, attending Community in Seattle.

jonhyb9 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Many schools offer a fresh start program for people in your exact situation. I suppose it doesn't matter if you make it to the police force, but the option is there!

Thanks for the reply, Vasudus!. Yes I did indeed give them a call, and I wouldn't say that I raised hell, but I was pretty stern with them, trying to figure this out, although the VA guy was like " no need to get loud with me,,, Sir", haha, yeah I guess they get a lot of pissed Vets calling them about this bullshit. Well it's definitely good that I have money saved up for poo poo-uations like this, although I'm probably going to confused them more, because; I might have to drop 1 or 2 classes (I'm taking 4, 5 credit classes, stupid? yes now I know) because I don't want to screw up my GPA by getting a barely passing grade or failing it. So I'm guessing that's going to gently caress with my BAH rate and I'm going to have to pay back those classes to the VA, right? I hosed up this quarter either way, thanks again for the help.

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010

Vasudus posted:

You should be ok, since this is your first withdrawal. Obviously, don't try to repeat the same mistakes, but it's OK because nearly everyone fucks something up the first semester.

Thanks again for the input, Vasudus. I think I'm probably going to confuse the hell out of the VA; I just dropped 2 classes(5 credits each) and now I'm down to 2/5 credits classes (was taking 4), the issue is I was taking those 2 classes at a separate CC(they both fall under Seattle CC though) so I have no idea WTF the VA is going to do about my BAH(probably going to reduce it) and having to pay those 2 dropped ones back, have you dealt with a situation like this?

*To clarify; was taking 20 credits and now down to 10, also these schools are on Quarters instead of semester hours*

jonhyb9 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 21, 2012

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Uh, that's going to loving blow for whoever has to figure it out on the VA's side. I hope you're ready for a series of over/under payment notices until they figure it out.

Your BAH will be adjusted from the date of adjustment. So for easy numbers say you were getting 300 dollars for a 30 day month, or 10 dollars a day. If you drop on the 17th of that month to half time, your check would be 17x10=170 + 13x5=65 for a total of 235. You won't have to pay back anything unless your date of adjustment is after the pay period was distributed. So if you make an adjustment on the 17th of November, but it's not put into the system until December 5th, you were overpaid and you'll be getting a nastygram from debt services.

Ah, ok, thanks man. Yeah I figured my indecisions were going to cause a clusterfuck, pay wise. Oh well, good thing I qualified for sweet unemployment benefits! (god I love WA state).

jonhyb9
Jul 12, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Found what the hold up was. The school's financial aid rep forgot to request the refund.

This is good to hear. Going to ask F.aid tomorrow. I've also run into this issue, all my classes are paid for already (took my pell and state need grant) but the VA has not paid the school so no refund for me yet, never had an issue like this at the C.C level, seems like the VA reps at the 4yr schools either have too many vets to deal with or just skate as gently caress (I had submitted my enrollment stuff back in June, they didn't file paperwork until Sept... ).

• Locked thread