Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I just got out this month and want to use my 9/11 GI Bill stuff. What do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Vasudus posted:

1) Apply online at gibill.va.gov. This will take approximately 5 weeks to generate a Certificate of Eligibility, which will be mailed to you.

2) Find a school that you want to go to and see what the requirements are to apply. Chances are, being a nontraditional student you will not have to take the SAT/ACT, but it depends wildly on the school. If you're getting a hard time with admissions, talk to someone that isn't working the front desk. You're still in the prime window for Spring 2013.

3) Attend school, get paid more money than while deployed, enjoy life.

4) Get Bs, smoke trees.

The AF still sends DD214's through the mail. Do I need to wait for it before I can apply?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Alright I just finished my app. I needed a contact number to complete it, and I just got a phone today. :toot:

Kinda think I want to do computer science, which LSUS does.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is there a way to see which jobs a degree translates into? I want to go for a computer science degree, but I don't know which concentration I should pick.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

For the school I'm at full time is 12 credit hours or more, and I will be taking 10 credit hours worth of stuff.
Does that mean I will be getting 83% of whatever the post-9/11 BAH amount is for my area?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ch 33 benefits aren't taxable are they? Want to verify before I do my taxes.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Summer classes can be a negative thing in that you're burning both benefit time and might be running close to your cap/YR cap. Basically, if you're going to do summer, do summer. Don't take one class and leave it at that, if you can help it.

How does this work? I thought benefits were burned proportional to how many credits you were taking or something.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Will taking summer classes burn up an entire semester worth of chapter 33 benefits? The amount of credits for full-time is 6 instead of 12 like a normal semester, and the summer semester runs on some kind of compressed schedule.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The VA paid me a full months extra housing allowance during the spring semester and I got a letter saying they want it back. This isn't a big deal since I haven't gone out and just pissed away all my money, but I'm not sure if owing them money back prevents them from paying for my fall semester classes I'm about to register for.
The wording in the letter is:

quote:

If you are currently enrolled in classes, the debt will be withheld from any benefits you are due. Please be aware that if a debt still exists at the end of your current enrollment, the debt will be withheld from your last check for that semester regardless of previous payment arrangments.

To me it reads like they won't pay tuition or anything else until they get that money back. Can anyone confirm whether that is how it works?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Vasudus posted:

They take a percentage. Exactly how much is up to your BAH rate and the amount they overpaid. In theory it shouldn't be more than 25% of your BAH until the debt is cleared.

So they don't take any of it out of tuition?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does the letter the VA sends after you sign up for classes have the months of the upcoming semester deducted already from your remaining benefits?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How does dropping a class in the first week of the semester work? Does the school give the money directly to the VA or do I have to get it and send it to them? 19 credit hours is too many for me.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's the difference between withdrawing from a class and getting a 'W' instead of staying in it and failing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What? I've failed a class before without withdrawing and still owed them money back.

• Locked thread