Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
How hard/easy is it to survive on E-5 BAH in most metropolitan areas? I have a couple years until I'm out, but wanted to live in a bigger city, probably Phoenix or LA. I've lived in cities like this before, but never while going to school, and have been shitpoor while doing so. Do you guys find yourselves being tight on cash, do you work jobs in addition to getting your BAH money? I'm a 68W and was thinking of doing EMT-B or EMT/Firefighter while going to school when I got out to supplement my income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
How hard/easy is it to get tail when you enter into college in your mid-twenties? When I ETS I'll be 25, and one of my way too moto buddies gives me poo poo that I'll be the creepy old dude when I start going to school. (will have about a years worth of credits done before I ETS)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
So you're saying I shouldn't grow out a luscious neck beard immediately after I ETS???

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What's the best program to transition military education into actual college credits that a real college will accept?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Vasudus posted:

Eh...

For the most part, no respectable school is going to accept more than a handful of credits at best. There's some exceptions, like if you were a medic going for an EMT program or something, but realistically no matter what you can expect anywhere from 0-15 credits accepted anywhere.

Be very, very cautious of anything that says they accept a shitload of military training.

Actually, I am a medic. I've been taking classes with UMUC and hoping when I get out I can find a decent school that will accept transfer credits from them. Does anyone know if colleges like UMUC and CTC are pretty good about being accepted by state schools? Does having an associates make it easier to transfer to a state school when youre going for a bachelors?

edit: Right now my "Degree Plan" is in general studies, not sure if that matters.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I'm AD army in Korea so taking in-person classes is a bit hard for me.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If I wanted to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill while on active duty to take 2 classes this semester because I tapped out my TA for the Fiscal Year, how would that count against my GI Bill? Have 4 years in and am trying to knock out as many classes as possible before I get out next year.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Godholio posted:

It counts just like everybody else, except you don't get the BAH. Depending on how much classes cost, it might be worth paying out of pocket. At least look into financial aid before burning GI Bill months. You're looking at hundreds of dollars per month, at least, in BAH that you don't get while on active duty because you're already receiving BAH.

Edit: For two classes there's no way I'd burn GI Bill time.

So it would take me from 36 months of benefits when I get out to 34?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Couple questions;

What are the best ways to get the most out of 9/11 GI Bill with regards to BAH vs possible cost of living in an area? I'm getting out next year. And have to try and support a kid and my wife who's also going to be going to school part time while working. (using student loans). My major is in Comp-Sci so there's pretty much school's everywhere, but we're aiming at preferably Co, Or, or Washington. Currently ~50 credits into my undergrad.

Does anyone have experience trying to collect unemployment while going to school full-time using their post 9/11? I tried to find out info about going to school while on unemployment but google just brought me to a bunch of people ranting and raving about kids now-a-days and how back in the day they got through college fine working part time.

• Locked thread