Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So I'm going to be attending a school of continuing studies at tulane to start my degree in a couple days and while taking to their veterans affairs lisason I realized that they don't participate very much in the yellow ribbon program.

Effectively I'll receive 1000$ off of the price of admission (approx 46k a year) if I decide to stay on at tulane after this year and transfer from their school of continuing studies into the actual university

So since that would be retarded I'm just double checking that the only obsticles to me transfering to another school after this year with the credits and accrue at the tulane school of continuing studies is gonna be acceptance of transfer credits and the like right? I'd still be able to inform the VA that I'm switching schools and get my tuition and bah shifted to a school that won't cost me 20K+ a year to attend in addition to my G.I benefits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

kombatMedik posted:

I had a friend go there, he had an awesome time down there, but yeah it's very unfriendly to Vets. It's fun around Mardis Gras, though.

hahah yeah. When discussing how else I would be able to make up the difference in tuition their veteran affairs liaison suggested that maybe I could just use my housing stipend to pay for it in addition to getting a pell grant and maybe a partial academic scholarship.

Around that time I realized that I needed to start saving up to move to another area after this year to attend a college that isn't just trying to bleed me as much as possible.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
uhhh so I'm having a bit of a problem with one of the courses I'm currently enrolled in. I'm considering dropping the course and receiving and incomplete which in turn would take me from 12 credit hours to 8 or 9 credit hours depending on if I have to drop the associated lab.

I was curious what the impact on the G.I benefits would potentially be. I read that you can essentially drop up to 6 credit hours without having to provide a reason to the VA and that as long as you are greater than 6 credit hours there would be no effect on my housing benefits?

The only reason I don't want to see the class through to completion is due to the fact that I'm going to be trying to transfer to a different college after this year and am concerned about my school's policy regarding retaking courses for failures.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vasudus posted:

If you drop from 12CR to 9CR, your BAH will be adjusted from the time of adjustment to be 80% of what you currently get. Math is (9/12=.75, rounded to .80). 8 credits will drop you down to 70% of rate. When you say dropping and getting an incomplete do you actually mean an I or a W?

If it's a W, then the above applies. If it's an I, and you complete the grade later, then there isn't an adjustment necessary.

That's what I initially thought but this website states otherwise

http://army.com/blog/benefits/if-i-withdraw-class-while-using-post-911-gi-bill-benefits-will-i-have-pay-money-back

I haven't had time to check with my schools VA representative about this yet but that website matches what I have read from a couple other sources that I don't consider quite as reliable as this thread so I just wanted to double check

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nuke school and qualifications account for 0 credits at CU Boulder. Not that I really learned anything

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I am considering accepting a direct subsidized student loan to cover some expenses in order to maintain my mutual fund intact as I await my VA C&P judgement. I'm wondering if / how stupid an idea this is and whether there are any available alternatives.

It'd basically be 3 grand to repair my truck, which would ideally I would be able to repay in its entirety either A) When my C&P backpay arrives after my judgement or B) By liquidating a portion of my mutual fund at the completion of my education, when the loan would start accruing interest.

Anyone got any advice?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You probably need to talk to your schools certifying official / veterans dept. Are all the classes listed as being online distance learning courses?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cole posted:

how is that usually calculated? is there already a set rate? or is it like 11 out of 31 days so i get 11/31 (a little over 33%) of my money.

But those days get saved up for usage later!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yes. Its a pain in the rear end budgeting wise but if you're going for an advanced degree it extends the number of semesters that will be funded, as 1 day will pay for a semester but provide only 1 day of bah

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

Wait, are you sure? I've never heard that the BAH will be cut off mid-semester.

That's how it was explained to me but I'm not positive.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vasudus posted:

My last semester of grad school was fully paid with 6 days of GI Bill. Ended up being like uh, 20k or something total.

Thanks, GI Bill.

Did you receive BAH throughout the entire semester?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

If I'm in over my head in a class and it looks like I won't be able to get my poo poo together is dropping (and going under full time) going to result in me paying the government way too much money, or is there more to it then just credit hours or whatever?

If you withdraw, as opposed to drop, you'll also be responsible for the unrefunded cost of the class. Some universities have programs that can help offset this cost. So you would be responsible for the cost of the class and you would lose some % of future BAH payments. I think.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CaptainStag posted:

Thanks. I was under the impression it was pro-rated somehow? I've got a VA briefing tomorrow so I"ll probably just ask a billion questions there and get it cleared up.

Main motivation is securing a federal job which normally requires a bachelor, but exception is made if I apply while still AD.

You could take a mix of online and weekend classes and if you do it correctly still receive full benefits.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

does my time in A-school and C-school count towards my GI bill?

Every day in service counts towards the GI bill starting at 6 months AFAIK and ending after 36 months provided you get an honorable discharge.

There are extenuating circumstances if you get med boarded/ medical discharge

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

suicide bi cop posted:

So it would take me from 36 months of benefits when I get out to 34?

They prorate to the day but yes, provided the classes only lasted 2 months.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I retook classes that I had previously taken 8 or so years ago with no problem. The school I retook them at did not know I was repeating them however, so I'm not sure that it was strictly speaking allowed. You should probably ask the certifying official at your school how they handle these type of situations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Just had a few questions about the GI Bill and about your personal experiences with private institutions.

1. With the GI Bill, I have my own, but I found out my dad had actually transferred some of his to me before he was med boarded out. Is it possible for me to use both the time he allotted to me and my own?

2. I'm looking into various schools and a friend of mine suggested I use Service To School to see if I could get into a private institution. I spoke with one of their reps and he said that they actually have pretty good grants at private institutions to pay for a veteran to attend, ending up with a decent amount of money that you can actually live off of. Have any of you had success with this? I can't find anything that says they're a scam, it just sounds really good to be true, especially for someone that plans on working towards a PhD in Biochem as time in school can get really expensive.

3. Has anyone here done something in Biochemistry outside of the mil or worked in a lab while in school? I did some work in high school through a program the university had with them. What are the chances at scholarships or is there a person with a particular title at a university I should speak with concerning this?

I attended Tulane, a private university, and CU Boulder and the financial situations couldn't be more different. Tulane did not offer complete coverage through their yellow ribbon program, meaning a portion of my Pell grant money was used to cover the difference before I could collect the remainder. At CU Boulder all University expenses, including my health insurance, are covered by my GI Benefits (had to opt out at Tulane or pay.) Additionally CU Boulder matches pell grant contributions, giving me about 14k+ in grant money each year, which on top of my housing payments is pretty sweet.

There are work study positions for lab work and required lab sessions for classes. I'm not really following what you're asking about scholarships

Are your highschool transcripts any good? If not attending a community college for a semester or two might be worthwhile. Really you should just contact the financial aid office of any University you are considering attending to get a complete rundown on the money side of things from them specifically, as different schools do very different things.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

The list will be: zero. I go there and I did not get poo poo, and I was in a technical field in the Navy.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was a Submarine Nuke and while I got no credits other Sailors in different rates at my University did.

With that said I wouldn't really expect much credit for your time in the Navy. If you think you know a subject well though it might be worthwhile to try and CLEP out prior to getting discharged as I believe those tests expenses are covered by TA and would reduce the number of credits you need to graduate.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

sharkbomb posted:

Calling all benefit pros - let's get into a hypothetical about using the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

I am entering medical school with about 10 months of benefits remaining. Each 'term' maxes out my annual tuition payment at $21,084 (note that tuition is ~$23,000/term). For example, my school certified me for 32 credit hours for the period of August to December: I get a 21,000 tuition payment this fall term, but for spring term I won't get any tuition benefit because I'm already at the annual cap.

If I only certify my enrollment for the fall terms, I can stretch my benefits into three consecutive fall terms for a total of 63,000 dollars. This means I won't be using my benefits during spring semesters because I wouldn't get a tuition benefit anyway (I would only be getting the BAH payments). When I'm not using my GI Bill I will be taking out the standard medical school loans.

Someone tell me why this won't work.

You'll lose your housing benefits for the second semester but that's about it. I did the same thing when I was transferring schools.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 16, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

sharkbomb posted:

That's what I figured, but it would be okay. I have 10 months of benefits remaining, and I think if I ONLY use benefits during Fall terms I will be able to squeak into a third fall with a handful of days left, thus giving me the benefits for the full term.

Did the VA or school certifying officials give you any grief about stretching benefits like that?

No one mentioned it to me. I just explained to the certifying official that I wouldn't be using my benefits for that term, they said OK, and that was that.

Seems like a totally reasonable way to use your benefits to me. The yearly cap doesn't apply to state school tuition expenses for undergrad so I doubt anyone really cares all that much. People at the VA tend to seem pretty apathetic.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 17, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

There was an absolutely 0% chance my college would've accepted me based on my stunning high school 2.3 GPA. In the USAF, I had a 2.7 from the college courses I took.

Basically being a vet owns. I'm pulling in a no effort 3.5 now.

I'll be putting this theory to test when I start applying to law schools.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm clearing just over 15k in grants this year. I really wish I had started out at CU Boulder instead of transferring after two years at Tulane. Don't leave any potential money on the table, you'll want it eventually

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sacrilage posted:

Here's another protip; if you're <100% GI Bill, go to grad school at a public school. MBA programs, M.Eng programs, Law School...all 40-70K/year. If you are 80% and go to a public grad school, however, they will pay 80% of that entire tuition, fees, school medical insurance, etc, whereas if you go to a private school, you get 80% of $21,084, the national private school cap.

All in all, can easily save you ~$100K. Especially if you leverage a top school acceptance to get grants/scholarships from a lower rated public school. In the end, a few ranks makes little difference, while 100K...yeah, it's a lot.

This reflects exactly my situation at Tulane VS CU Boulder. At Tulane I had to pay out of pocket two of my 3 semesters even with 100% benefits and had to take a semester break because I had exhausted my GI benefits towards tuition for the financial year, even with grants. At CU I receive 100% of my grant money, receive free health insurance, and a couple other perks that have made the entire process much more affordable and easy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

I can't remember how to print that GI bill eligibility letter that lists how many days you have left and so forth. On eBenefits it's not listed under "letters" and the VONAPP website only lists what seems to be an application for using the post 9/11 GI bill. I've already used some of mine, but I should have plenty left. Where is that proof?

edit. Okay, I resubmitted a GI bill application through VONAPP. For some reason I thought the process was the other way around. Anyway, how long does it take for a response usually?

Is this your first request? Depending on some factors it can take a couple weeks in my experience. I simply printed a screenshot of the educational benefits section of ebenefits to prove Eligibility in the short term to my schools certifying official. It has your current remaining time and % on it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Falli Wagga posted:

I've been trying to get all my paperwork in order to start this fall, but the cut off for turning in my Certificate of Eligibility for the post 9-11 is this Friday and I still have not gotten it in the mail. All that I get when I call the VA is some old fart who can't use a computer telling me that it is processing and that it will take some amount of time between now and the end of time then it will be mailed to me. When I first started I would check the website under status of my gi bill enrollment and it would pop up with an error, this last time I checked it had a page called Education Enrollment Status with my name and all this info including benefit level and remaining entitlement, does anyone know if this means my claim went through? Is this page good enough to give the vets center on campus? Is there like a signature or something on the Certificate of Eligibility that makes it so only that form works? Does the VA know its 2015 and they can email things?

I used that page ad proof to my university that I qualified for GI benefits until my CoE got in so you might try that

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SperginMcBadposter posted:

How does dropping a class in the first week of the semester work? Does the school give the money directly to the VA or do I have to get it and send it to them? 19 credit hours is too many for me.

If its a state school and you're on 9/11 GiB and you're still full time then it shouldn't change anything on your end.

19 credit hours is too many for anyone unless like 4 of them are a PE course

Iirc you said your benefits are running out but if you have a day left worth of benefits that will cover you for the whole semester

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

I've done 18 and 20 hour semesters and got all A's, its just about good time management.

Your innate insufferability no doubt made you some sort of rhetoric savant

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

life is killing me posted:

Ok, question for other milgoons:

I used my Post-9/11 last year and due to my job and long hours, was only able to attend one class during a summer semester, and at night.

Now I have received a call from a bill collector representing the school I attended (a local community college). I got a VM from them and called back within 20 minutes after I listened to the VM to figure out what the hell was going on, and when they told me it was the school trying to collect a debt, I told them that I had filed all the paperwork and was told by the relevant school representatives that I was good on paperwork and had it all completed. The debt collector rep told me she'd communicate this to the school and I haven't heard anything else. Should I call back and see what's up, or should I contact the school directly?

Better yet, does the Post-9/11 require me to attend class continuously? I was told I needed to follow a degree plan and choose a degree I wanted to get, which I did--the class I took was part of that degree plan but was a core class and not necessarily a class that pertained to the degree itself, just something the degree plan said was required.

So is it more likely the paperwork was wrong and something needs to be corrected there, or that I have to attend class continuously and have used up my Post-9/11 benefits unwittingly?

And while I'm here, is it true I could only have transferred my benefits to my children while I was still in the military and that I cannot do it now?

What do you mean attend class continuously? If you drop a course or get a W you will be responsible for paying for it depending on these situation. If you dropped out then there's a good chance you owe money, but I would think that someone would have contacted you before a bill collector.

If you mean do you have to use it for 36 months continuously then the answer is no, you can use it in portions however you see fit for the 10 years it lasts after you separate.

I was you I would call the school directly and ask them what the gently caress is up because having a bill in collections is bad for your credit score. They're gonna know alot more than the piece of poo poo working at the collections agency.

I dunno about transferring benefits but using the GI bill to attend 1 night class seems like an awful waste. You don't get nearly as much BAH $$$ and the benefits run out based on days used, not money spent. Call the VA to check your benefit status and call the school to see why your bills are in collections

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

life is killing me posted:

I didn't drop out, I finished and passed the class.

I had intended to keep taking classes but I work 60+ hours a week. I don't know when I'll be able to start back up again.

I know the debt collector rep won't know anything, but I basically disputed the debt and didn't know what, if any, steps to take afterward. I don't really need the BAH and do not have the time to take the amount semester hours needed to be eligible for BAH. I mean, I could stop working and just focus on school, but my wife and I need my income to supplement hers, and it's currently higher than what I'd be getting out of BAH.

I'd call your schools registrar office and certifying official to see exactly what they have to say

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Thump! posted:

If I pick up another class in the first week, raising my credit hours from 12 to 15, do I have to resubmit anything to the VA or my financial aid peeps? I'm at 60% on my Post 9/11 GI Bill, if that helps.

If 12 credit hours is full time at your school then it shouldn't make a difference. You should probably inform your certifying official anyway, they're the one who will pass on any relevant information to the VA.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

That seemed to be true in my case, but I got a lot more than 5800

Not from the pell grant you didn't, genius.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

From unemployment. Pay attention to context.

You're loving dead

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Leather Bear posted:

Has anyone else been having delays in getting their pell grant and loan money paid out to them? I usually have those refunded to me within two weeks of a new quarter.

nope. You checked with your school's financial aid / registrar and everyone to make sure they haven't hosed up? I got my grant money in august

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Leather Bear posted:

I'm gonna contact them this week. Ebenefits is making GBS threads the bed too, so I can't see if the VA paid up yet.

edit: per my tuition account status, the VA hasn't paid up the 5K or so for the quarter, so that's the hold up.

Is this your first semester or have you been attending school at this university? I'd contact your certifying official ASAP and ask them why the VA hasn't sent your money. There could be any number of reasons that are holding up the process, but the actual dispersal of money hasn't taken very long after all the steps have been completed in my experience.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So I was just informed that as part of my GI Bill funding I'm entitled to 1200 dollars worth of tutoring over the course of my time at college? I'm asking about this because it appears that the only stipulation for who can tutor me is that they cannot be a relative. Is this true? Can I have my friend tutor me in a class I've taken I tutor him in a class I've taken and we both get paid?

1200$ in 100$ increments would do me alot of good.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TheQuietWilds posted:

Yeah how do I go about getting this tutoring money? That sounds amazing.

There's a form you fill out to get reimbursed. 100$ a month. My student veteran services office had em sitting out.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

vitamin the d posted:

What? I've failed a class before without withdrawing and still owed them money back.

Yeah if you fail a class and don't get any credit you still have to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

jonhyb9 posted:

This is good to hear. Going to ask F.aid tomorrow. I've also run into this issue, all my classes are paid for already (took my pell and state need grant) but the VA has not paid the school so no refund for me yet, never had an issue like this at the C.C level, seems like the VA reps at the 4yr schools either have too many vets to deal with or just skate as gently caress (I had submitted my enrollment stuff back in June, they didn't file paperwork until Sept... ).

It usually is a product of your student VA dept and how early everything is submitted. If you're getting hosed around then typically the Head student Liason seems like the person to talk to. After that it's probably the Dean or whatever but YMMV

• Locked thread