Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I live in WI and am Guard who has never deployed.

So bascially, CH1606 + state tuition waiver, + FAFSA = get monies, go to school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In state tuition is free so the only thing Post 9/11 would give is a little more via BAH I guess. Right?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are any of you familiar with state programs like the WI NG Tuition Grant? I'm curious if it can be used in conjunction with FTA or if they'll just deduct the FTA from what they pay me back.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A bit confusing, but correct me if I'm wrong, full time Title 32 time in the Guard doesn't count towards any benefit with the exception of AGR types, no?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How does it work if I'm using CH1606 and later qualify for Post 9/11?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So basically if I am retarded and exhaust my $350 a month from CH1606, I then get another year of Post 9/11 but if I switch to Post 9/11 when I become eligible I subtract the months of CH1606 I used if I'm understanding this right?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's not so bad since there are state programs where I live that pay all tuition at state schools. Thus my use of CH1606 isn't as bad of a deal as it sounds. 28 months of Post 9/11 at 60-80% should be plenty considering other financial aid and getting reimbursed for tuition at state schools at the end of each semester.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

But why would I use 1607 if I can get 60 to 80% (When I likely deploy it should put me very close to 24 months of active duty time) Post 9/11? Even 60% would be $600 a month in BAH plus the fact the state repays me tuition in the form of a grant at the end of each successful semester.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interesting, so use 1607 for a short period then switch to Post 9/11?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interesting, does it work the other way around, for example use up all your Post 9/11 and then have 12 months of 1607?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FAFSA will put you in for state grants. Depending on your state there might be other paperwork you need to fill out such as my getting free tuition in Wisconsin from the state.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No, but you need active duty time beyond training. I have nearly a year of active duty for training that doesn't count now but likely will once I deploy and have more than 24 months cumulative active service.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interesting. That's kind of lovely if so.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Since my state reimburses tuition it almost seems like a better deal to use and exhaust REAP once I theoretically get back from a deployment then and then take the 12 months of Post 9/11 at 60%-80% if it works that way. Roughly $1,000 a month (which would be very similar to the BAH I'd receive under Post 9/11) while having to pay for tuition each semester up front. The tuition is then reimbursed by the state at the end of each successful semester. Unless I'm missing something here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm not an expert here but the gist I get from reading is that you don't lose qualification for the MGIB just because you're serving in a reserve component now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Holy poo poo. DePaul awarded me 46 credit units from my transcripts. My awful math breaks that down to 30 semester hours. Best news I've gotten all day! And some of the classes transfer over!

Nice. Living the life in Chicago on BAH money.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Got paid my state tuition grant for last semester today to the tune of almost 2 grand. Posting this from my impulse bought (not really, had been planning to get one) iPad Mini. :downs:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No Wisconsin GI Bill benefits?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Tricare-SR $50ish a month. :smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are any of you familiar with this program: http://www.nsep.gov/ ?

Seems like a pretty good deal if you're interested in government work.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Heh. Did you save the LES for that one?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Type II BAH should be for your home which you're entitled to when on active orders such as AT or ADT. That would majorly suck if it cost you your Post 9/11 BAH though.

"but 99% of my reservists do not get BAH when they're away on AT"

That's weird. AFAIK they should automatically get Type II BAH for active orders shorter than 30 days and full BAH for tours > 30.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

WI does something similar.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How do Pell Grants, etc. work if you only have partial Post 9/11? I get a state GI Bill which pays 100% the balance left after what my partial Post 9/11 pays. My EFC should be $0, so in theory I should be receiving Pell Grants and possibly other aid once I enroll in school again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Can someone explain the bizarro situations in which CH 1607 (REAP) can pay more than Post 9/11?

Essentially, I'll have 60-70% Post 9/11 if I apply for it which equates to $900-$1100 a month in BAH whereas REAP would pay based on my understanding $1070-1220 (If the buyup is used). My tuition is fully paid by the state so the only part of the benefit that actually matters to me at the moment are payments refundable to me, unless I'm missing something.

• Locked thread