Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think I may have messed up, folks. Part of my enlistment contract 9 years ago was a thing called the "Marine Corps College Fund", which I have heard in regular DoD parlance is called the kicker. Its supposed to tack on some extra money into my BAH payments whenever I start receiving them. Nobody knew what this was or how to explain it to me a decade ago, so I didnt think about it until now. It appears under the "ENLISTMENT BONUSES" section of my contract, however it's not on my DD-214. Am I screwed? Or can I submit this crap to the VA or my school's veterans reps to get this sorted out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Thanks, just did that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Deathy McDeath posted:

I think I may have messed up, folks. Part of my enlistment contract 9 years ago was a thing called the "Marine Corps College Fund", which I have heard in regular DoD parlance is called the kicker. Its supposed to tack on some extra money into my BAH payments whenever I start receiving them. Nobody knew what this was or how to explain it to me a decade ago, so I didnt think about it until now. It appears under the "ENLISTMENT BONUSES" section of my contract, however it's not on my DD-214. Am I screwed? Or can I submit this crap to the VA or my school's veterans reps to get this sorted out?

Vasudus posted:

You should use the 'Ask a Question' feature of the GI Bill website. Attach a scanned copy of your enlistment contract, or other paper documentation that verify your kicker. You'll get the money in like 4-5 weeks retroactively, and anything future will have it included in your BAH payments.

Hey Vasudus, just wanted to post an update to this question I posted a while back. I was getting frustrated since I posted it up on the 23rd of December and hadn't heard a single thing back since. But lo and behold, 5 minutes ago I got an email from the VA:

quote:

Dear Mr. McDeath,

After reviewing your file, your kicker bonus was processed with your application. Please allow ten business days for mail time to receive your Certificate of Eligibility.

Thank you for contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs.

lmm/4229
Muskogee RPO

Thank you very much for the advice on this! I can't wait to start up school and get my wizard-calculated cash! You are a great help and asset.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I only got 400 a month for my kicker :(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

It's dependent on some crazy sorcery math. If you live in a low (sub-1000) BAH area, your kicker is likely to be significantly higher than someone living in a very high BAH area (over 2000). I'm not sure if there is a hard cap, but with a 2225/mo BAH, my kicker was around 250ish.

I live in San Diego so BAH here is 2139. So....wizardry?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Vas, I got a new eligibility letter from the VA with my kicker money attached. Do I need to re-certify this with the school or VA?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

You fill out a form electing to take 9/11 over old GI Bill.

To be more specific, you go to VONAPP and start filling out that form.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just got my first ch 33 payment and....it's 323$. What gives?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

KetTarma posted:

When did you start classes? It's pro-rated.

January 28th

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Fellas, I want to take a brief minute out of your day to talk a little bit about an education program I just participated in called the Warrior Scholar Project (http://operationopportunity.org/). It's a donor-funded program aimed at taking recently-separated veterans and teaching them how to "do college". It takes place over two weeks on the Yale University campus, and teaches a variety of necessary skills, but is mostly focused on reading and essay writing. They also teach you about the little things that are inherent to being a veteran in college, like "how not to creep out the freshmen", and "don't be the 30 year old at dorm parties". But really, you learn a bit about how to relate your experiences in a scholastic setting, and other little intangibles, like how to deal with the dumb questions you're bound to be asked. Best of all: You live and eat on the Yale campus, and it's all taught by world-class Yale faculty. It was a real treat being taught by Pulitzer-prize winners and industry leaders. Stanley McChrystal was supposed to do a seminar with us, but he had to back out, unfortunately.

It was very intense, however. We were in the classroom from 8am until 11pm some nights, with our only breaks coming at meal times. You will read a lot. You will write a lot! It's akin to doing two weeks-worth of finals. But we were fortunate in that the program has a BIG staff of volunteer tutors who are all Yale graduate students and brilliant in their own right. They really helped get through the sludge of writing for hours a day. And yes, they helped fix the minor grammar and spelling errors that came up.

This program is planning to expand to Harvard and UMich next year, so if any of you goons think you need help brushing up on your college-ing, go ahead and apply.

http://operationopportunity.org/

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I know I posted about it in the Civ thread, but gently caress! I'm super excited because I got into Columbia!

Speaking with others who have gotten in, it seems like the only people who can actually afford it are: A) The very rich, or B) Veterans. What odd bedfellows.

But yeah, COLUMBIA

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

Be sure to come back and post about your smug sense of superiority over your fellow classmates because you served.

dude you dont understand

I'm going to columbia gently caress yes I can't wait gonna get so high all the time and bang 18 year old freshmen chicks who are impressed that I can do basic things like rent an apartment own a car and buy booze

Beria posted:

Wow how did you get into columbia? For what, undergrad?

Columbia loves vets. It's retardedly easy to get in as a veteran. If you have some college work done and kept a 3.5 or better, you can get in.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Beria posted:

Man you're real lucky, I wish I hadn't done so doo Doo as an undergrad

Well congrats bro, but whatre you studying, out of curiosity

Middle east studies, or some kind of IR thing. I know everyone keeps yelling "STEM DEGREE IDIOT!!" but gently caress em!

Seriously, you should all apply next year. Only catch is that you can only transfer 60 credits, which is kinda lame but understandable.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
                        What if this is all a post...within a post?
                                            /

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Free moker :911:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
So I just found out I won a lil' scholarship put on by the State Department :unsmith:
It's going to send me to Tajikistan for two months in June to study Persian, with all expenses paid and a small stipend while I'm there. According to the literature, they received 5,500 applications this year for around 600 spots (for all languages), so that's something like an 11% selection rate. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you have the College Fund tacking extra onto your BAH, then you switch schools, is the kicker amount recalculated or does it stay the same?

Edit: In a different zip code

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

OSU:
-I can teach from day 1
-Free / funded
-Totally opposite setting
-More access to professors
-Some people like small programs. Subjective

These details, especially the bolded part, really make OSU sound like a better deal.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

nwin posted:

But if I can get a Master's degree from a decent place, I figured that would be better. Why waste another 2-3 years getting another Bachelors? Admittedly, the first one is poo poo, but I dunno if many schools I would be interested would care too much about my UoP degree, since I had a decent GPA from there and the school is guaranteed easy money from the GI Bill for my Masters.

I'm not an officer, but I've known a few who have used the program you were talking about. You know, where the DoD puts you in a master's program on active duty. The ones I know whom have done it have all gone to top schools, including Yale and Harvard. I had an active SF officer in my Persian class this year. One of the dudes who mentored me when I got out went to Yale for IR. It's a great deal, especially if you have a family since it keeps you in one place for a few years. I say go for it.

EDIT: This reg is a little outdated, but it seems as though an MBA is on the list of approved programs http://www.uscg.mil/opm/Opm1/Opm1docs/PG/AY12Docs/AY12_PG-AdvEd_Process_Guide.pdf
Check page 23 "Civil Engineering – Masters of Business Administration"

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 29, 2015

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Did you apply for UAH at all or are you just going to look around?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Sacrilage posted:

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

I had no idea that this was the case. Do all of the top schools do this?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
One legit benefit of enlisting: riding the wave of national sympathy to a really good college, and being able to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I took 18 credits last semester at a decently hard school and I do not recommend it. The level of work involved (especially in the last two months) was brutal.

• Locked thread