Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

barbudo posted:

Okay, thanks. But you were eligible after 3?

http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/Breakdown_of_the_monetary_benefits_under_the_various_GI_Bills.pdf

You're eligible for some benefits at 30 days. At 3 years you get 100%. The % chart is near the end of the slideshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

No, you can start prior to being out. However, he needs to make sure that the very second he does get hit DD214, the VA gets it and confirms it so that he can get BAH.

Yup. Fill out the worksheet on their website and send it in. It takes a couple of weeks to process, but mine came back much faster than I expected (this was April, FYI).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's a mod. He just says so, and it is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Amazon. Sometimes books are available electronically, which is usually MUCH cheaper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who do I contact at the VA to make sure they have my 214 on file? My tuition has been paid, but I haven't seen that sweet, sweet, BAH yet. I realize it's unreliable and can arrive basically whenever, but I'd rather make sure everything is set up correctly instead of waiting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

You can call anybody at the VA. 1-888-442-4551.

And today I get the statement from the VA detailing what they're paying, which includes the BAH and $500 for books. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pell Grants aren't available, it shouldn't impact unemployment since it's an education benefit not income, and I don't know about the rest. But you'd be less than a full-time student, so that may change your eligibility for certain programs (yellow ribbon, etc).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus H Nyce posted:

I've been instructed that you only need to do 9 credit hours of graduate classes per semester to be considered full time while pursuing your masters for VA purposes. But I could have easily been misinformed.

It's whatever your school considers full time. But yeah, the hours are not equivalent to undergrad hours.

My point was that if you're spacing a 2 year program out over 4 years, you're taking half-time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Yep, you can either dual enroll (like say, doing some certification at a CC while you attend a university for something unrelated) or you can just use up the time afterwards. It's pretty easy to do.

I'm guessing that each one is counted against your time separately? IE, if you do two courses for a month, that counts as two months?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KetTarma posted:

Here's a question:
If I take 11 semester hours when full time student status is defined as 12 semester hours, how does that effect the BAH that I get?

Take a bowling class.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TheUnhorse posted:

Wait so AD using post 9/11 gets a book stipend now? What if I'm only taking like 6 credits worth of class?

Then use tuition assistance and save your GIB because you can get hundreds of dollars every month if you use it AFTER active duty. Is it worth ~6k (probably more) in BAH later to save yourself a couple hundred on books now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Finally got around to checking my bank account for GI Bill moneys, and it wasn't quite what I expected. I got two deposits for $250 each on one day (I assume this is for books), and a week later a deposit for $606.10. I assume the last one is BAH, but iirc the letter said 673.xx. Is BAH prorated or something? I'm doing a strictly online class.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, it's prorated to the day. So if your class starts on say, the 5th, you get ~83% of the BAH for that month. Being an online class, it would be off half the national BAH, working out to 673.44 for a full month. The 606 is probably correct in your case.

That's what I thought, but all my TAP paperwork/notes is boxed up in a moving truck somewhere. I'll double check the start date, but that's probably correct. Thanks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Just took my DAT after 6 months of studying. I'm feeling great about my chances of getting into dental school now. I might re-join as a dentist to pay for that poo poo. E-4 to O-3 would be a nice promotion but i'm inclined to avoid anything to do with the military if I can help it.

For comparison >
http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/documents/dentalschool_scores.pdf

Aside from knowing what's going on around you and making decisions, you did pretty loving well!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BAH is an allowance, not income. You never claim it on taxes for the same reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mine was deposited on the 31st, USAA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I wish Pell grants applied to masters :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

invision posted:

Where do I get scuba school

Any dive shop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

This is not the civ thread gents.

Oh sure, turn the civ thread back into mathchat. :( This one's at least about school.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

elite_garbage_man posted:

The Veteran's center is packed right now, so thanks for the quick response.

I'm guessing you're not the only one with that question.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually like the old Skilcraft mechanical pencils, the red transparent ones. I've still got one somewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

YOU GET THE POST 9/11 ANYWAY! Even if you enrolled in MGIB. I'm doing it right now, and so is half the forum. If you use all your Post 9/11 benefit, you also get your $1200 back.

There are ways you can use both, but I'll let someone else try to explain it, I didn't really understand it.

Edit: MEPS doesn't know poo poo, Finance doesn't know poo poo, and personnel doesn't know poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KICK rear end. I hope the bitch tries to take me to court!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does that include BAH or just school expenses?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Having taken an online course, I really can't believe how any online degree is accredited anywhere

:cant find can of worms emoticon:

Universal Life Church doesn't count as an online course.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Hit a soft spot mate? besides ur torso lol

ur dick

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KetTarma posted:

Has the VA shut down the ability to talk to a human being over the phone? No matter what time I call, I get an automated disconnect telling me that no customer service representatives are available. It wont even let me schedule a callback for later.

Is this the new thing? Apple does it too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

poo poo I haven't even applied for a job since getting out. Applied for one beforehand, but the start date was before I even got back from deployment, so that didn't work out...which sucks, it would've been about 130k for a year contract in loving Seattle.

But life owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You can definitely start the process before getting your 214 in the mail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Maybe I missed it in the first post, but for 9/11 you get up to $17,500 per year for tuition. My school probably charges about 4 grand for 18 credit hours, and to go above that I'd have to file a waiver. Will 9/11 cover that?

If it's a state school, they cover it. If it's private, that's the 17.5 limit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't have to do anything to switch over.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

You still have to switch over, it takes ~5 weeks currently. If your school is already paid for, what will happen is the VA will pay them again (probably 9 weeks from now, assuming you apply for Post 9/11) and that balance will be refunded back.

Also good news is that the 17,500 cap is now 18,300.

What form is it to "switch over?" All you have to do is select the right chapter when you apply for benefits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I'm taking that as he already has applied for it, in which case he needs to relinquish his MGIB to get Post 9/11. It's still super easy, but he needs to tick off a few extra boxes.

If he's in a service academy, he's not spending GIB money.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No Pell grants for grad school. Your undergrad GPA will only hurt you in your applications for schools, not for your benefits. If you get into a program, you have to keep your grades up though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Looks like one of the schools I am applying it is requiring proof of MMR (which I can't find). Will they take "hey I as in the military and it was required" as an appropriate excuse?

Don't you have your medical records? Isn't there a shots record in there?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

If it's anything like mine, it's a huge jumble of dates stamped over each other and arcane glyphs for signatures. I've gotten Heb B shots at least a half dozen times because they can't determine when I got it, therefor I need it again.

Mine were always fresh printouts. :) I always kept a copy of those for my own records...if the AF fucks up there was NO way I was going to have them stick me over again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Depending on the agency/organization the government doesn't recognize diploma mills either. Anything in DHS/DoS/DoD does not accept them anymore, with more and more agencies adding to that list as time goes on.

The AF basically promotes the use of diploma mills for officers. Masters' degrees are literally a yes/no checkbox.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Well, being a checkbox is one thing. Lots of places are like that currently because they don't know what the gently caress to do with graduate degrees. But for-profit diploma mills are a different animal, and they basically prey on servicemembers and working professionals. It's shameful.

I don't even know how many ITT/Phoenix MBAs I know because of this poo poo. It really is just another broken concept. Thank God I waited until I found something I gave a poo poo about instead of getting stuck with another worthless degree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Instead of picking a school first, why not decide what kind of degree you want, then see what schools offer it in online form, and pick from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's what it looks like to me. The VA hasn't been sending me a new letter.

• Locked thread