Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I am eligible for post 9/11 at 80%; have already used 2 semesters on nonmatriculated classes (aka just loving around); already have my undergrad (ROTC scholarship).

Can I get my money back that I've spent on my GRE test?

What about the costs of sending GRE scores to various grad programs?

What about application fees charged by said grad programs?

If/when I get into a grad program and score a fellowship, scholarship(s), and/or a TA role, is my GI bill income (I have 6 semesters left, yes?) affected by any of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Thank you for the GRE / grad school application responses!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm fat slampig

Zeris fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 12, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MancXVI posted:

I'm thinking about applying for it but I don't feel like I'd be hooah enough.

On what basis are Tillman Military Scholars selected?
http://pattillmanfoundation.org/apply-to-be-a-scholar/#tab2

quote:

Educational and career ambitions
Record of military service and/or community impact as a military spouse
Record of personal achievement
Demonstration of service to others in the community
Desire to continue to serve others and make a positive impact on your community
Leadership potential
Compelling, thoughtful, genuine and thorough essay question responses

About the Application

quote:

In order to best prepare for completing the application, please have the following information available during the process: military service history, educational history, enrollment plans, and expected academic/living expenses and income for the upcoming academic year.

The following documents will need to be uploaded in a digital file format:

Documentation of military service and/or community impact as a military spouse. All discharged service members must provide their most recent DD-214. Active Reservist or National Guard applicants may provide alternate military service verification forms. Note: all submitted military service verification forms will undergo validation.

Résumé including education, work, public service history, recognitions and awards earned.

The application will require responses to two essays exploring the following areas: military and public service motivation and experiences; and educational, career and service ambitions.

All Tillman Military Scholar applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for funding.

Idiot this is the highest ratio of time invested to money earned you will ever face in your lifetime.

quote:

The scholarship covers educational expenses, including tuition and fees, books and living stipend.

I will personally help you get your materials in order just because I need the karma if you can't manage this yourself. This is the kind of poo poo you need to milk as a veteran. It will take you a few hours to put together a resume/CV, another few to draft the essays and revise them, and you're done. The rest is just bits and pieces of poo poo you'd be compiling for other applications anyway.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pat Tillman window is Feb 3rd - Mar 3rd.

http://pattillmanfoundation.org/apply-to-be-a-scholar/

I have no experience applying but I am going to apply. I have applied to 9 MFA writing programs and had my application materials reviewed by about a half dozen people so I think I've got a shot at it. I am happy to review / edit anyone else's materials or give them ideas. Yes, my writing is better than my posting.

If you're thinking of applying, start immediately:

Thinking of who you will ask to be your Character recommendation from a third-party (letter of recommendation, basically). Community service? Former teacher? Civilian boss?

Also get ready to dig up: Two photos from military service or with your spouse and I hope you can pass a background check.

Source: http://pattillmanfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/ptf_onesheet_application2015.pdf

Zeris fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 22, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Pat Tilman window opened today, I am still willing to help anyone here with their applications who asks me. It's for any undergrad or grad degree, doesn't matter if you're halfway done or starting this year.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Nobody has ever asked me for my GPA in a job interview. The only thing it'll probably affect is admission to grad school, but even then they won't give a poo poo if you have a few years of work experience under your belt.

If your resume has cum laude / summa cum laude, that will look nice. It can't hurt.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Tillman Scholarship window ends in 1 week, I am finishing up my app and if anyone wants a second set of eyes with writing/editing experience on theirs, please PM me soon. I won't have time to review or give useful feedback after Thursday due to travel this weekend.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Goddamn I just got admitted to Columbia's creative nonfiction writing MFA program with 20k/year knocked off the tuition. GI Bill at 80% makes this pretty drat tempting.

Did anyone else submit for their Tillman scholarship? They said they won't have answers til mid-April, around the same time I'd have to make a grad school choice.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I hear these points and agree. Counterpoint - not that I've been admitted elsewhere yet (2 waitlists at very small writing programs) - we're talking a fine arts degree here. Does the world still give as much of a poo poo? Publishers for example dont care about your MFA location when they're reading your manuscript. Obviously it's a great school still. Just thinking it thru and wondering if you had considered the above in your replies.

Edit. I think this means I'd be likely to get a good teaching position afterwards, and the quality of writing instruction will be good but I'm not certain ivy league coolaid applies equally here. Not that Columbia isn't ranked 11th for my genre or anything. I didn't expect to get in / let alone receive an offer like this.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 9, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

OK fuckers. I believe you now. Thank you :3

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vasudus have you heard of anyone touching Yellow Ribbon money with less than 100% eligibility? Waivers or something like that? I have 80%.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm off the waitlist at Oregon State Univ for writing MFA. They admit 4 students/year. I have about 2 weeks to decide. Wyoming is still up in the air and I am visiting Columbia this week.

Has anyone been to Corvallis? It's about an hour south of Portland apparently.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

What does OSU have that Columbia doesn't? Serious question.

OSU:
-I can teach from day 1
-Free / funded
-Totally opposite setting
-More access to professors
-Some people like small programs. Subjective

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

These details, especially the bolded part, really make OSU sound like a better deal.

I wouldn't use my GI bill there but I would at CU, so the end balance sort of evens out, sort of. I don't have post graduate plans so there is no opportunity cost to spending 2 years of GI bill.

I'm coming up this morning to visit for admitted students night and checking out Oregon next week so I'll get the chance to decide based on personal experiences.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It's official, Columbia for creative writing MFA this Fall, see you then, Deathy McD. Who are the other NYC/area folks? EBB?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Congrats, fag.

E: For good measure

Check the last page for a other good Vasudus quote:

Vasudus posted:

If you get accepted to an Ivy there's no decision to be made. You're absolutely braindead retarded if you decide to go anywhere else.

I would legit go 100% out of pocket and sell my soul to Sally Mae to have the opportunity to do an Ivy. The advantages of having just the school name alone is well worth the cost of admission.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm looking at tuition for 2015-2016 cost of $53,484 -- Columbia University, 2 year program.

80% GI Bill Eligibility so 16,188/yr in tuition paid.

$20k/year scholarship.

So I'm eating $17,296 per year (assuming I don't get a TAship or other position for my 2nd year) in loans.

I'm eligible for federal direct unsubsidized loans through Columbia:

quote:

This loan is borrowed through the US Department of Education, is not based on financial need and you are responsible for all interest accrued while you are enrolled in school and during approved periods of grace and deferment. For the 2015-2016 school year, the interest rate is 4.29% for undergraduates and 5.84% for graduate/professional students. This loan also carries an upfront origination fee of 1.073%. For loans disbursed on or after October 1, 2015, however, the origination fee is 1.068%. Loan repayment begins 6 months after you graduate or cease to be enrolled at least half-time.

Is this reasonable? Should I look elsewhere for these loans?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NYC apartment hunting with GI bill as my income is really fun

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's your BAH for NYC?

I'm 80% qualified, so it's $2995 for E-5 in Manhattan.

People usually budget $1k or more to get by depending on how much of a loft-dwelling filthy Brooklyn vegan hipster lifestyle you're going for.

Considering my VA funbux and some part time work, I will effectively have a decent salary while in school, and may skate by with zero loans after 2 years.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

Did you apply for UAH at all or are you just going to look around?

I'm using OCHA -- UAH doesn't like pets.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Sacrilage posted:

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

What's your military background?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This type of post isn't welcome in resource threads. Please be mindful :)

I have difficulty believing there's a secret society of student vets & veteran administrators who give branch-qualified applicants a golden ticket to top tier education....at more than a few select schools. It sounds like a smart idea, but most schools handle veterans' issues so ineptly that I just can't believe it's true across the board. Key word, branch-qualified (co cmd, squad leader, whatever), here: almost every school notices the yes/no veteran binary, we're discussing whether they go a step further and read your ERB/ORB. Doubtful, in most cases.

THAT SAID,

It's worth the gamble to apply "out of your league" just in case, right? Columbia admitted me and knocked 40% off my tuition, I mostly wasn't a dirtbag while I was in, so I assume the two are related.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'd say there's a 0% chance they would have accepted me based solely on my undergrad performance.
VVV

same here: 2.7 undergrad GPA

Zeris fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Paging ActusRhesus to the Education thread...ActusRhesus to Ed, please.

I really enjoy the grad school / lawyer thread that is even more discouraging than the enlisting thread in GIP

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I can't remember how to print that GI bill eligibility letter that lists how many days you have left and so forth. On eBenefits it's not listed under "letters" and the VONAPP website only lists what seems to be an application for using the post 9/11 GI bill. I've already used some of mine, but I should have plenty left. Where is that proof?

edit. Okay, I resubmitted a GI bill application through VONAPP. For some reason I thought the process was the other way around. Anyway, how long does it take for a response usually?

Zeris fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 10, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is this your first request? Depending on some factors it can take a couple weeks in my experience. I simply printed a screenshot of the educational benefits section of ebenefits to prove Eligibility in the short term to my schools certifying official. It has your current remaining time and % on it

No, I have already used about a year of my post-9/11. I used to get those letters indicating days left for use, but can't dig it up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Does GI Bill certification come via snail mail / will an electronic version appear on ebenefits?

• Locked thread