Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Generally speaking exceptions can be made for most colleges. I just had a small victory a few weeks ago regarding one particular Veteran. Our MSW program has a strict, no poo poo cutoff of Jan 25th for the following fall semester. Dude calls me up from the korengal-motherfucking-valley on a DSN phone in mid May. He's getting back in August just in time to start the program but the secretary in the social work department is kicking him back.

I call the head of the department and a five minute conversation makes an exception to the no exceptions rule. Blammo.

This is why you need a vet rep at school.

So what process would you generically see when petioning a denial of acceptance? Would you expect that it would tend to be university-specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Start with stating that you got denied (duh) and offer an acceptable rebuttal to the reasons why (they should tell you why). If your grades were poo poo from high school, and that was several years ago, give them a dose of patriotic horseshit about serving the country and bettering yourself since then. List various military accomplishments that may or may not be really that impressive, but sound impressive none the less.

Depending on the school and the reason you were denied, it shouldn't be too terrible. They expect most of their incoming students to be snot nosed teenagers and I bet you 99% of them are scared off immediately.

I was more suggesting if you had knowledge of a typical process of rebuttal. Something along the lines of:

Denial Letter->Open Ended letter to admissions office/department of study/etc->Google to find dean of particular school etc...

Otherwise you would be looking at school policy set forth in writing, and then that would strike me as more of a formal school procedure (involving forms, etc) rather than an appeal to a member of the committee who are in charge of who gets in and who doesn't.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Rrail posted:

There weather rules what a great summer to stay here and go to school. :thumbsup:

Seattle infinite winter chat itt

Still waiting on WSU so I can plan the next move :/

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Rrail posted:

Oh. I was under the impression that they were actually pretty challenging.

I'd say its somewhere in the vicinity of Advancement Exams and the ASVAB.

Just different material, but its presented in the same 2 OF THESE ANSWERS ARE loving RETARDED DO NOT PICK THESE manner. Apparently there is some writing section on the SAT's now a days, which is kind of retarded. But I agree with the Study Guide sentiment.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

I'm applying to a few private universities for the Fall 2012 semester. Part of choosing which school to attend will be dependent upon willingness to give me the extra money under the Yellow Ribbon program. Some of the schools state that they give the award to X number of undergraduates...

My question is, what kind of timeline or process can I expect in determining if I'm selected for Yellow Ribbon?

I would presume that it would be attached to your financial aid statement after you get accepted to the university.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

I meant to add that. This is ONLY a Washington thing that I'm talking about. I have no clue about any other state.

I'll have to hit you up after I get back to Everett. I am heading into the same boat and I'd like to get the run down before I head to the unemployment office.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Can I apply for GI Bill without having been offered formal admission? I'm assuming its based on the university...

e: Went back, read the OP, starting the Ebenefits process.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 14, 2011

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

I am currently collecting my benefits while attending college in Northern Virginia, but my Dad who I was living with moved to Baltimore for a new job. I would like to transfer to a school up there so that I can continue to live rent free, but I cannot get a straight answer from any of the schools about a waiver for out of state tuition fees due to being a recently discharged veteran.

I know that the Post 9/11 GI Bill will not cover out of state tuition, but when I enrolled in school in Virginia they allowed me to claim in states tuition by providing a lease and registering my car in Virginia.

Do waivers for out of state tuition vary between schools/states? If they do where can I find this information other than the institutions website/counselors which have been no help.

Out of state is decided by the school if there is no overriding state legislation that tells them they can't charge you out of state.

Start with the state government websites to try to track down any policies on Veterans and tuition, then go to the school. The school obviously wants all of your money, there for getting them to accept In-state for people not already stationed there is a PIA. The school probably has specific guidelines for declarations of what is, and is not considered in-state, so make sure you make yourself aware of what those policies are.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

I am waiting on a call from one final person in their records department to verify their policy on out of state waivers. I did find some random chapter of the Maryland education code that says that dependents of veterans and active duty military can receive in state tuition, and since my dad is retired air force I think I still qualify under that as long as I am attending school and living with him.

While this isn't strictly a GI Bill question I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this decision. I am currently renting a room in Northern Virginia while finishing out my semester in Northern Virginia Community College. I opted for community college because I got out last minute and was not in time to apply for a regular four year school. This school has a degree transfer agreement with George Mason, the school I wanted to get my Bachelors at, and I figured it would be better to get started than wait a year doing nothing and burning up my savings. My fathers move was unexpected, but not a disaster I have the means to take care of myself it was just a money saver and a convenience to be able to move back home and have one less thing to worry about. My question is this. I would be saving myself 550 a month in rent by going up to Baltimore in addition to receiving an extra 440 a month by going to school in Baltimore instead of Northern Virginia. If I cannot get in state tuition should I skip a semester and tough it out? It would only take 3 months to be eligible and I did very well this semester and should have no problem getting into Towson next school year, which from reading is a fairly respected business school, or not waste any time and stick it out here and bite the cost of paying rent etc?

Thank you Vasudus and Squirrely for your prompt replies and information. I really wish that places would make this easier to understand, or at the very least have people at the schools that know how to do more than transfer you to another person that might have the answer.

Not going into the finer points of your situation, but if the worst case you have is needing 3 months to become in-state eligible, then you are a lucky motherfucker. PSU it was a year in many situations, 2 years most.

e: And also, I had a room in a townhouse in Canton for 400 a month. Baltimore (even in the city) is a hell of a lot cheaper than living anywhere south of Columbia.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

Thank you Vasudus and Squirrely for your prompt replies and information. I really wish that places would make this easier to understand, or at the very least have people at the schools that know how to do more than transfer you to another person that might have the answer.

While Vasudus has the background on the ins and outs of the VA system when it comes to GI Bill stuff, I've spent way too much time then I care to recount reading vaguely meaning state legislature briefs to find the exact wording of the law in question. If you are in any grey area, I suggest you do the same.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

Waiting to find out what schools I'll get into is even more nerve-wracking than it was during HS, especially since schools don't start notifying transfer applicants until around my EAS date.

You're telling me. Turns out my transcripts weren't sent out in February like they should have. I turned in my apps for January in July and didn't get notified until apparently 4 days into my last 31 day underway. So I sat here 4 weeks later trying to get everything in order.

They told me three weeks though, so that should be next weekish :( The waiting is killing me.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm not going to get accepted. I'm going to go down to the admissions office and try and sneak my way an audience with someone who is not a student working at the admissions office. I have terrible grades from high school, and I do understand that would be a reason why I didn't get accepted into the computer science program. Maybe they'll let me in on a probationary status or I can go in under exploratory/undeclared then switch later.

Like looking in a mirror. Except substitute lovely high school grades with lovely (lots) of college grades.

Just gonna apply for next fall with a few recommendations and a well-written explanation of the situation. I'd appeal to WSU this semester, but by the time I got a response would probably be 3 days before the semester starts and I'm going to need weeks to finalize all of my poo poo where I am now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Why aren't you going to a cc to get a better academic resume?

I've gone through a lot of different options in the last couple of days in 2 threads, that makes it look like I was waffling, which I am.

I am waiting to see what the local CC has to say when they look at my transcript. It appears that I only need a few classes for their cert just by looking at their program.

What Mad Pino says also comes in to play. There's only so long I can sit around and not do anything, and if I get done with this cert say this summer, its already to late to apply for fall, so I would have to sit around for an entire year until next fall (due to the fact that there was 1 school that I was planning on applying to that was accepting spring transfers into their engineering program). Its almost easier (and more efficient) just to apply to the BS university directly with an explanation to the situation.

What do I think is going to happen? I finish this Engineering Transfer thing in a couple of quarters at the CC, apply to WSU and UW for Fall quoting the situation, and probably get denied for both on the grounds they can't approve me until they actually see the certification complete. Then I sit around for 12 months and roll into UW as a 29 year old junior :(

e: And academic resume is the dumbest loving term ever. Just wanted to put that out there.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I can't tell if you can't get into UW/WSU or you can't get into the respective engineering schools. I'm not in my school's engineering school right now, because I haven't been in school forever and I didn't have the math background. They do have plans set out on what you can do to get in which is what I am doing now.

It's cool man. I understand you're trying to help.

Also, the consensus in GiP about unemployment during school is just not say anything yes? Everything I've read indicates its a grey area but it seems to be one of those things you can get nabbed for later if you do something more stupid.

Also, how serious does everyone take the job search required by unemployment offices? I've pretty much just been applying to 3 jobs a week, but it seems a little ridiculous if I know that I won't even be considered.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

vx15i posted:

My grades were terrible and my application to college was rejected. I made a trip to admissions and asked to speak to the administrator. After a maybe 10 second conversation he agreed to let me in. They only let me major in general studies but after a semester of good grades I was able to switch. I graduated yesterday.

Good for you. Gives me hope for the future.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Have to remember that most admissions places are used to dealing with traditional students: ie joe chucklefuck from high school whose single crowning achievement is being a member of the A/V club. You have things that set you apart even if you did the most boring, run of the mill admin job.

Always, always appeal that poo poo.

I'll make sure to do this in fall. An appeal for this semester would have been asinine logistically and I probably would have hemorrhaged cash trying to set everything up in a week. Assuming the classes work out the way they seem to be working out for this semester at a CC, I think I made the appropriate choice by not pursuing an appeal.

My only mistake was not including some sort of personal statement in my initial application, and also to make sure my loving former university remembered to send the god damned transcript when they said they were going to.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus, do you have any insight with the typical payout system for....how should I say it....cashs outs and reimbursements?

I got my initial application in for Ch 33 in late for Spring/Winter quarter (read: 2 weeks ago) and I anticipate cutting a check for tuition to be reimbursed later by a combination of CH 33/Financial Aid.

I assume it is Semester Due->CH 33->Financial Aid->Refund the excess to the student, but I just want to see if there is any difference if I pay the cash balance up front to ensure my academic standing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

670 bucks for 3 textbooks. I seem to recall why I was broke in college all the time.

(yes, I know I can circumvent this fleecing, but acquiring these items in a timely manner is more critical than their cost this semester. Hopefully never again though, although one can always hope for the well timed new edition)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Jesus God drat Christ, man, what classes are you taking?!

2 calc classes and Physics (electromagnetic). Curious to see how demanding they are in a CC setting.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sarah, your experience is typical. They started a lot of this online stuff my second year at PSU or so where the sort of just bundled a whole bunch of crap you needed. Its the scammiest of scams and I hate it.

But, I'm also used to it. So I sort of shrug my shoulders.

Also the 500 is a joke. Even if I liked the "nationally accredited" universities, I'm sure they know how much you get for books and inflate their prices accordingly. This is actually a process I learned about in Bud Day's biography when his biographer was talking about trying to get his education in and dealing with all of the small schools that popped up after WWII to soak up all the initial GI Bill money. It makes sense, but I hadn't thought about the breadth of possible University collusion until I read that little snippet i that book.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

It probably has something to do with how you were certified.

Also something like 80% of all Post 9/11 money goes to the University of Phoenix. It's a depressing as gently caress statistic.

Depressing, but I would argue predictable based on demographics. Curious to know if UoP had a big hand lobbying for the Post 9/11.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hey RB, I wrote about half of my personal statement and comes off to me as a little whiny. I was wondering if either you could take a look at it and see if the tone is right or shoot me a sample of the tone of one of the guys you were working with.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

Where can I get my Certificate of Eligibility? I tried clicking access my documents but none could be found. The status page shows I am 100% eligible with 36 months and 0 days remaining.

It tells me:

And calling the number is worse than useless.

I was told by the Veterans Office here that I would receive it in the mail after my application was approved.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sarah posted:

Edit: Actually, the only small pain in the rear end with PA was no one could tell me where to send my DD-214 in. It took some phone calls but finally got an address. Guess they don't get too many vets moving to that county.

Oh, poo poo I'm supposed to file that at the county courthouse or something huh.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I just got mail from the VA regional office saying they need more proof for my Gi Bill Kicker from basic (reasonable), and that they had already requested documentation, but it could take time.

Does this mean the whole of my benefit determination is being held up by this?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

No, it means that they aren't going to pay you the kicker amount until they have the documentation. You will get backpaid for the difference when you can produce those documents. Several of us have gotten back ~9 grand (I personally got ~12k).

It should be in your enlistment contract.

Also, as always, your kicker was 'up to' x amount of dollars. Don't expect anywhere near what they promised you.

I know that it is after the regular amount is exhausted, but I am going for my initial GI Bill Certification and I'm wondering if this notice is going to hold up the initial Certificate of Eligibility, which should be getting mailed to me right now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh, I think I said the wrong thing, I meant the 12 month 100$ Top Up thing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boom. Certificate of Eligibility. 29 days post application. Not bad.

Also probably managed a solid B on my first Academic Examination in 7 years today. 2 silly mistakes are gonna cost me, and it gave me a loving migraine (feels a lot like a pulled muscle lol).

Solid educational fuckin' day right there gentlemen.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea no problem. I'm on leave right now so give me a few days. Once I get to Tampa I'll give you my email.

I wish could stay on leave forever.

No worries, just shoot me a PM whenever. I've got the rough draft ready to go.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY GET!!!!

I am finally fully complete with signing up for school.

Six classes left until I am a college graduate. Eleven years after I started :unsmith:

Hi Five buddy! I just turned mine in yesterday morning!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Funny store from yesterday. I was dropping off my Gi Bill cert with the VA peeps, and in passing I asked if there was anywhere to get....you know....just regular coffee. The guy working the counter literally looked heartbroken that noone had told me about the Coffee Pot in the lounge. And then I dumped the coffee very appreciatively into my mug, and another lady that works in the office scurried in to make a fresh pot.

It was awesome.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So, I've got my CoE turned into the school and just got more mail from the VA today outlining the amounts paid to the school and my person.

Should I interpret this that all the correct buttons have been hit and I should be receiving fat stacks on the 31st?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh sweet, so since I wasn't in school for Fall, its just a flat 1k a year no matter when you started? That's pretty cool.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

If you start in Spring you have a maximum of 1,000 dollars split over 24 credit hours to be taken before August 1st. So if you're doing 15CR in the Spring, and take 9CR over the Summer, you will cap it. If you take under 24 credit hours in that time period, anything remaining is lost. Unfortunately, they don't just cut you a check for 1k without strings.

Capped, for the 11-12 AY. Thats a hell of a deal if you aren't using benefit months.

I mean, its only beneficial for a very specific situation, but that is my specific situation, so it kicks rear end.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

moker posted:

Yeah, my universities' department seems to have 2 kinds of math professor: person that can literally barely speak english(lol bigot) or old rear end tenured dudes that don't give a poo poo about teaching. Usually getting a TA is your best bet to actually learning in class which says quite a bit.

I am enjoying my upper math education right now by a factor of about*1000 right now compared to PSU.

At this CC its like something important, where at PSU your math experience needed to be as horrifying and indecipherable as possible to weed out the riff raff. If these three classes serve as any representative sample size, I wish I could go back in time and do the 2 lovely years at CC. The learning experience would have been so much different :(

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

moker posted:

Whats it like to have a junior level math course with less than 50 people in it?? I'd like to know :(

Its pretty much awesome.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Squirrely, your old avatar was much much better.

I don't even know who you are anymore.

It would still be there if WSU had accepted me :cry:

e: And also I couldn't resist the AV. I had wipped it up on request for someone wanting a Haley AV like 2 years ago, so I just had to spend 15 minutes changing the colors when he got hired with the Steelers.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2012

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Huh, so I guess I'm going to have to start going to work again soon.

The whole 6 months of extra unemployment is going away after February, unless I qualified for it before like the 23rd or something. My 6 months runs out in March. I guess it's possible for it to be moved up again, but drat that sucks if not.

You mean the 6 on top of the original 6 right?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

I wasn't formally matriculated into my grad program until earlier this week, so I had to pay everything up front and out of pocket. Our state tuition waiver applies for matriculated students only. Then I get a lovely automated email from the school this morning telling me that I'm getting my 5 grand back.

Feels good man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anyone else still waiting for acceptance letters :sigh:

• Locked thread