Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I filled out my FAFSA for fall 2011 at community college and since last year I made $28k-ish I'm not eligible for any grants or whatever. I want to take out a low interest student loan so I can pay off my truck and motorcycle and not have any bills while I'm going to school.

First, is that even legal?

Second, do I go through my school to apply for a loan or do I have to apply with someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone know how the VA scores hybrid classes? Want to sign up for one this fall (in class and online workload) but I don't want to be shorted on BAH.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Let's just say I'm glad I'm working almost 30 hours a week at my stupid part time job thanks to the new post 9/11 bill rules. I won't be able to have any fun til October, but I'm still not paying for college so I guess it evens out.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I was starting to get worried for a second, but no one got paid yet. I got my august back pay yesterday, just shy of $300, and momentarily freaked thinking that was all I was going to get.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

The VA sent me this letter telling me either myself or my school changed my enrollment on Jan 14 (This is the day payments are due for regular students). Obviously, the VA adviser at the school told me not to worry about making a payment on that date since I would be getting my benefits. Well, now the VA thinks I'm not taking any classes and wants its $1073 back. I told the school and they said everything on their end is good, so I called the VA and the little old lady I was talking to wasn't much help, saying I have to file an appeal or some poo poo.

I don't loving understand what the problem is or why I'm getting these letters, I've been enrolled in my classes and everything was going fine. Somehow the VA thinks I dropped all 14 credit hours. Oh, and I got another letter today saying I was overpaid by $76 for some other random poo poo and I'm even more confused. I don't even know where to start trying to fight this and explain to them that this poo poo is loving retarded.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Vasudus posted:

VA funding is non-discretionary. The payments themselves aren't going anywhere, much like the sequester, but I can't say that the people that process them are safe.

The 1-800 number isn't working, I'm assuming neither are the GI bill folks. Even some parts of the eBenefits website aren't working anymore.

Speaking of which, I returned to the same school after a year off and I am currently attending classes, 2 on campus, 3 online only. E-Benefits shows the right number of credit hours but the fall semester is split into several terms (full, first 8 weeks, last 8 weeks, etc.) which has my credit hours divided all over the place, even though for the majority of the semester I am taking 12 hours or more (17 currently). I have a feeling that this is loving up my payments. I received about $830 in payments (I'm assuming for books and a week of BAH) on August 30th and then $190 on September 30th. So obviously somewhere down the line someone got confused and they aren't paying me the proper amount.

The school is aware of the situation and have verified my documents have been submitted to VAOnce.

Ebenefits is showing the current enrollment and credit hours for the various terms of the semester.

Enrollment Period: 09/09/2013 to 12/15/2013
CUYAHOGA COMMUNITY COLLEGE WESTERN(Facility Code: 14800735)
Residence Hours Distance Hours Type of Change Change Effective Date
4.0 4.0

Enrollment Period: 08/26/2013 to 12/15/2013
0.0 6.0

Enrollment Period: 08/26/2013 to 10/20/2013
0.0 3.0

I'm wondering if I need to submit something online in order to get the benefits processed correctly. I did not fill out a FASFA for this semester, but I didn't think I had to. Am I dumbass? Any help is appreciated.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Fill out your FAFSA. It's not too late. Get free money.

That order is...complicated from a certifying official's standpoint. If I were your official, I would be moderately stressed at making sure I put everything in correctly. If they can verify that they did in fact enter it correctly, all you can do is wait out this shutdown. Give the 'Ask a Question' feature a try, you might possibly have luck with it.

I managed to get someone on the phone the other day and they verified my enrollment and said that my money was a few days behind due to the complicated nature of my course schedule. This morning I checked my bank account and found a very plump deposit from the VA.

I filled out the FAFSA but I'm not interested in taking any more loans, and I think my income was too high last year to qualify for any grants or "free" money.

Thanks for your help.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I should really know this by now, however I still have to ask:

Should I have gotten a full bah payment today for being full time, full month of classes? Or was the partial bah payment I got with my book stipend all I get until March?

Post 9/11 100% GI bill eligible.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

classes started January 11th. I got two deposits from the va in my bank account around that time, books and a partial bah (i think).

i was hoping to receive a full bah payment feb 2nd for the month of feb, since I already got my partial for January.

second best sponge fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Vasudus posted:

You'll get paid on the 27th for the full month of Feb. It's always the last working day*

*funds are actually released a day early. Depending on your bank you may be paid 12:01 the 26th.

Thanks. I thought so but I wasn't sure. I'm working full time while taking classes so I'm not hard up for money, I just like having more of it sooner.

• Locked thread