Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
edit: nevermind

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

That's assuming the school I want to attend is within driving distance.Also assuming I can get in touch with someone over the phone that won't tell me whatever they want.

Is there a listing of VA friendly schools/ how to get in touch with each of them.

Just loving Google, drat. Or search veteran or VA on your school's website. Or call them.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

http://studentaffairs.tamu.edu/veterans

quote:

Veterans Services Liaison
Student Assistance Services serves the needs of all veterans on campus and prospective student veterans, as well as military service members attending Texas A&M University. Our office supplements other campus units with special emphasis on the transition and retention of veterans. Our staff maintains productive relationships with offices, agencies and programs throughout Texas A&M and the Bryan/College Station Community in order to best respond to veteran needs and provide resources. We work intentionally with the departments within the Division of Student Affairs to proactively address needs presented by the veterans on our campus through campus wide programming.

To find out about our services, please call (979) 845-3113, or come by our office at Koldus Suite 112.

If you have questions about certification or benefits, contact the Veterans Services Office, (979) 845-8075

quote:

Veterans Services at UT Austin 512-471-5017 UTVeterans@austin.utexas.edu

quote:

http://utsa.edu/va/

That took all of three seconds.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 9, 2011

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Kaliber posted:

Really? Cause the VA been giving him a hard time about it. He was telling me all he was able to do was the Voc Rehab. But that they only offered him lovely rear end jobs. He was dead set on going to school and they been telling him no. Not sure if the person he's working with is a piece of poo poo or what.

Voc Rehab isn't even supposed to find you jobs? :wtf:

Your friend may just be retarded and/or lazy. He could also be lying too.

In any case. His best bet is to get in contact with a group like AmVets, American Legion, etc. They have people that can get your benefits sorted out. They understand the system and work with the same people at the VA all the time.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Rrail posted:

All of my friends that graduated from WSU make like sub-3k a month, hope this helps with your decision.

I honestly could not survive on that. I was just an uneducated E-6.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

second best sponge posted:

Anyone know how the VA scores hybrid classes? Want to sign up for one this fall (in class and online workload) but I don't want to be shorted on BAH.

Are you shooting for full time?

It should be okay. My rep said it was last semester but I didn't wind up taking the class so I don't for sure.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

CLEP tests and DANTES tests own so loving hard.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Roving Reporter posted:

Should I have anything to worry about for this or will the school take care of it? I do not want the VA raping me of money.

It's the school's problem.

moker posted:

I really hope the VA doesn't find out I stopped going to my first summer class but I'm sure they loving will :(

Why did you stop going?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

moker posted:

Nothing that will be seen as legitimate if they find out

That sucks, sorry dude.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Elendil004 posted:

For post 9/11 GI Bill...The website says that for online only you get half the national average. What if you're doing some locally and some online? How does that work? Can that even work?

If you take four classes and at least one of them are in class you get full BAH for your school's zipcode.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

Can you be part time to qualify for pell grants?

I think it all goes by income level.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

If I'm still in my first year out, actually, first six months, would I qaulify for FAFSA since I made money last year?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

moker posted:

You mean the Pell Grant? The FAFSA is what you fill out in order to determine eligibility for grants and loans. I got out 6 months into a year as an E-5 and still got a Pell Grant, probably about half of the maximum. Thank goodness for not counting BAH as income ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious if I'll qualify with my VA disability every month.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

bengy81 posted:

Question: I am filling out my VA Form 22-2990, it asks me if I am active duty, I say yes, it asks me if I am on terminal yet, I say no. Now I am wondering if the VA is going to think that I am going to be using my GI BIll while still active?
Is this something I need to worry about, should I put a comment in the additional comments box?
I put down my EAOS so hopefully they will figure it out

They will but it's an easy fix. Nothing to worry about.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Paid, USAA also.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jaysus posted:

I finally got through on the phone. They said my BAH was issued on the 31st of October. Still not in my account. It has my book payment in there, though. Should be $500, correct?

They also released the school payment to the treasury, but the treasury hasn't released the payment to me. Don't know when that will/should happen.

might've sent it by check if it's your first payment.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Hey Vasudus, I think you've answered this before but is it possible to take classes at two different schools? My ex wife is getting out on and is enrolling for the spring semester. Right now with the program she's in she can only get 9 credits because the other classes are filled or require prereqs. However, there is a class she can take at the local CC that would satisfy her one of her prereqs. Can she take that class there and would it technically count for 12 credits to get full time BAH?

Some background on her, she already has an AS in business, BS in finance and an MBA in public admin. She wants to be a gym teacher so all she needs to do is take the two years of gym teaching credits save a few bio prereqs that business majors don't have.

The other thing I would be confused about handling is the fact that one school would be registering her for 9 credits and the other for 3 so who would certify her for 12 so she can receive fulltime BAH?

Thanks, man.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Thanks for the info, vasudus. I appreciate it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Quick question. You know how if you elect post 9/11 over Montgomery you can never revert back on way or the other? If I used a couple semesters of post 9/11 can I switch to voc rehab (I meet and exceed the requirements for it).

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Axium posted:

First time using Ch33 so got a few quick questions:

1) Was certified in VA-ONCE Dec 1, and ebenefits shows my January month as being deducted from my benefit months. Still haven't got any word of them paying the school, how long should this realistically take if I've been certified and deducted the benefits for knocking at 40 days? Need that excess financial aid to "pay my bills" (read: buy poo poo I don't need).

2) I'm currently on terminal leave until my Feb 11 ETS date. I already have my DD214 in hand and turned this in to the VA office at school. The girl at the desk (who I'm pretty sure is south of 20 and is probably not associated with the VA at all) said I was "good" and I asked her if I would get BAH for Feb 12-28. She gave me an "uh-huh". Doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence. Is the DD-214 all that needs to be submitted to be re-certified as being off of active duty or do I need to do something else? Hopefully I can see the actual VA guy rather than taking some random girls word for it.

3) I qualify for the Army College Fund. On my original benefits application I specified this and submitted a copy of my contract showing that I qualified. Since I don't qualify for BAH since I'm still active duty receiving full pay will I still get whatever monthly benefit I'll get from the ACF (though I understand it's complete witchcraft whatever that payment ends up being) ?

For 2 and 3 I can speak on personal experience. For number two, you will definitely get bah for Feb 12-28. However, you're likely to get back payed for it in April. Your march pay check may be for the entailment for Feb 12-28 or it will be zero in which case in April you'll get all of March plus Feb 12-28.

For number 3. you will not receive ACF while active duty, period. You can expect a backpay/prorated amount for Feb 12-28 and then normal payments for time you're enrolled until you exhaust your entitlements.

In order to receive your college fund, it may not be enough to contact VA. The payment for all branch's college funds comes from DFAS as it is a DoD entitlement, I had to notify my service headquarters to finalize the payment, since then it's been smooth sailing. Some of my friends only told VA and got paid, some only told service HQ and got paid, some told neither and got paid and some told both and DIDN'T get paid. You have to keep on the line with service HQ and VA to ensure you get your college fund. Both operators MAY act like you're a loving Martian but you'll get your 250-500 dollars extra a month if you're diligent.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Axium posted:

If any private for-profit organization operated even half as inefficiently as the DoD and VA they would of been out of business, circa War of 1812.

Thankfully I had forethought to put away some money, as I see myself getting boned (and I WILL be the guy that gets boned).

I know it sucks but you'll get back pay and once everything is set up and going it's usually pretty smooth sailing semester to semester.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Vasudus posted:

No, it means that they aren't going to pay you the kicker amount until they have the documentation. You will get backpaid for the difference when you can produce those documents. Several of us have gotten back ~9 grand (I personally got ~12k).

It should be in your enlistment contract.

Also, as always, your kicker was 'up to' x amount of dollars. Don't expect anywhere near what they promised you.

Did you get your back pay from va or dfas/dod?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

So, if I went to school for '11 summer semester, '11 fall, I should still expect 500 for '12 spring semester?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

camino posted:

Scheduled a call back on Wednesday. That's not very comforting.

Don't wait until Wednesday. Just keep calling back until you get on hold. It works, trust me. Just dial em up every 15 or so.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

camino posted:

I call spammed them today and got an answer. I took 7 courses last semester and wound up dropping one because I'm an idiot and didn't read the OP. They came after me to get the book money back, and took it out of the book money for this semester leaving me $4 for textbooks. Good news is I'll be getting my prorated BAH in a couple of days.

Lesson learned: Read the OP.

Told you the call spamming would work.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

You're the poo poo dude, I knew that bitch was lying to me.

They forgot to send in my certification and I guess they thought they could just bullshit me and shut me up.

You have the worst loving luck, dude. Sorry.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I didn't realize there was any support for going to a CC as opposed to a full university especially with the GI Bill paying the way there. I think there is better opportunity especially going to UIUC for a degree based on name recoginition, and then later on I could go there for a graduate program, research opportunity, or having a shot at being hired by the bigger companies.

No one is saying go only to CC.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

It's also better if you don't want to do the lower division requirements of the university. For instance, I got my degree in science from a CC. I knew I wanted to major in math but I didn't want to do foreign language requirements and stupid poo poo like that at the university when I'm a math guy.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Xanzar posted:

Is that how it works everywhere? I got my degree from UIC in Computer Science (an engineering degree there), and I asked the Liberal Arts school about upgrading my Psychology minor to a B.S. and they said I still needed the foreign language.

I have no idea. In my area the major university has an articulation agreement with the CC. On all documentation for the degrees available it says the lower level division requirements are satisfied if the student has obtain and AS from the CC that they have the articulation agreement with. For me, that meant that I didn't have do a lot of the classes I had no interest in doing, such as foreign languages requirements. It also gave me a much better foundation for my actual degree. Instead of struggling to learn french or something. I was taking every advanced math class I could at the CC as an elective.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

xwonderboyx posted:

A in programming (300 level), b in networking (400 level) and b in political science (100 level).

Only one 400 level and two electives to graduate. drat it feels good.

how will you get fulltime BAH :ohdear:

Congrats though, that's awesome.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

BITCHTITS posted:

Unfortunately you must be going to school to obtain a degree higher than what you have i.e.

associates->bachelors->masters->doctorate

you can only go forwards not backwards :(

For active duty TA, not GI Bill.

I know someone that already has a master's but they're going to CC for an AS just because. I asked why do that and the reply was that they just wanted to gently caress off and get money.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

xwonderboyx posted:

I make sweet contractor dough and I'm finishing my degree so my mother-in-law gets off my back. I only get around 600/month in BAH because I'm not full time and it's online, but that goes to paying off credit cards and such.

I will begin a masters program at a local university in the spring so I should rake in a little more that way.

I doubt you'll rake in more. Unless you physically go and also do twelve credits. If anything, prepare to spend because books at 500 level and up are for whatever reason, way more expensive.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Vasudus posted:

9 credits as a graduate student is considered full time.

And graduate books are so goddamn expensive because they figure you're a big boy now and have zero choice in the matter :(

I forgot nine. My bad, didn't want to put out bad info.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

scavok posted:

So, I had this amazing plan to get my B.S. next summer at the same time that I separate, and I'd go straight into grad school for the fall semester using my GI Bill. However, it appears I hosed it up due to not realizing I needed a prerequisite for a certain class, and said prerequisite is only offered in the spring, so my summer semester would be far too loaded. The alternative is adding a semester after I'm separated and lightening the load on a couple of other semesters that I'm paying out of pocket for, which actually sounds pretty tempting now that I've typed it out.

But I just wanted to verify that there would be no problem if I were to use my GI bill to finish my bachelors in one semester, and then continue at a different school for a masters?

Is it possible to clep that prereq for free while you're still active?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I don't know where you heard your info about ODU not being highly regarded, even in the area. Of all the schools you mentioned, ODU is the only actual research institution. And you as an engineer should now that ODU has a banging engineering program.

But besides ODU, I know Strayer is taken seriously and not viewed as a diploma mill. It's not like going to Harvard Business School or something.

But you're in government service so you can literally get your PhD at University of Phoenix and be regarded as an academic extraordinaire. Any school you go to so long as it's accredited will serve it's purpose in government service.

Not interested in an MSE?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Zip posted:

Someone was telling me if I use my last quarter of the gi bill before Im approved for voc rehab that I wont be eligible for voc rehab.. so I should just take a quarter off if I'm waiting to be approved.
Any truth to this?

No truth. As per vasudus's advice and now my own personal experience, you can switch back and forth.

The voc rehab people in Hampton Roads are kind of a pain, they're a little resistant to using it just for school. They keep saying they're main goal is job placement, which is true, but gently caress that.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HeyEng posted:

I figured that I wouldn't be able to start school till Spring 2014 because my DOS is 23 Aug 13, but apparently you can start the process to get GI Bill benefits early while on terminal. How do I go about this so I can make the fall semester?

I used my GI Bill while on terminal. I was on terminal for the first month of the semester I got out. The way it worked was during my terminal time, I wasn't entitled to the BAH. Once my terminal was up, I was entitled to BAH. No hoops to jump through, just a simple conversation with the certifying official and a call to VA.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

GD_American posted:

at what grade does a de facto or de rigeur requirement for a Bachelor's pop up? My wife just took a new job with a promotion to GS-7, and I've warned her she will cap out quickly if she doesn't get her paper.

If she got the job she's good to go. To increase steps or paygrades it may be a requirement but it's a progression that should be made clear to her. It's a good bet that she'll need the degree. In fact, most GS-4 jobs I've seen require a degree (or comparable experience).

But there's no exact requirement. I've seen people get GS-12 without even an associates because their military experience was considered enough.

Congrats on her promotion. I hope she enjoys her job.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

GD_American posted:

Thanks- it should be much better than her current one (she's still in the Corps of Engineers, just different departments now), where she was a GS-6 doing department-head level budget planning (wayyyyy out of her job description). I hope she comes home less stressed out, anyway.

With her it's more of an issue of where do you make the transition from an executive assistant (secretary, let's be honest) to an executive? She's close to as high as she can get in that kind of career field; eventually she'll have to take a leadership position. That's where I think the lack of degree will really hose her.

Probably. Especially if she's up against other candidates that have one. Is she close to finishing, does she have GI Bill? Does goverment service have any education perks? My friend graduated with a degree in engineering and went to work in the shipyard and if he stays for I think eight years, they'll pay his student loans (he was never military).

It sounds like with your wife's job, business and accounting classes should be a breeze for her given her job expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

GD_American posted:

e- Good for your friend. The only way I'd ever go near a shipyard again is in a khakis/white shirt job.

It's a total desk job. One if his tasks last month was to write an SOP on welding even though he's never welded in his life or even touched a welder. It's pretty funny.

• Locked thread