Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Vasudus posted:

It changes once you reach a certain point, around the 70% mark. Until then, it is active duty time not to include training. They do some funky math when calculating benefits, like how a single deployment for a reservist is 60% but a followup deployment takes them to 80%. I don't really like that.

The cutoff for training time to count towards GI Bill is 80%. Since everyone starts out with 40% and you get 10% more coverage on your GI Bill for every additional 6 months of active duty service(Either as an AD servicemember or a Title 10 activated reservist/guardsmen), it makes perfect sense for a reservist to go from 40% to 80%(or 90% depending on the how long your schooling is) after 2 year+ deployments.

I get 90% but I've also spent a cumulative of 33months on AD orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Rrail posted:

I'm working overseas right now but I will look into that when I come back. I'm kind of afraid to take the SAT's this late in life, I'm like 8 years out of high school, I don't remember poo poo. I'd have to study for the ACT/SATs for sure.

Neither test is incredibly more difficult than the ASVAB. Spend $50 of your contractor dollars and get a study guide.

vains
May 26, 2004

What's the deal with break pay? Does it count against my total eligibility? Or is it BAH for a month, like December, in which I attended school for only part of the time?

How do I figure out how many months of benefits I have left? I looked on WAVE but it doesn't appear that the website updates for Post-9/11 GI Bill.

vains
May 26, 2004

GD_American posted:

So my school isn't even giving half of a poo poo about HEOA compliance (ie, disclosing ISBNs of textbooks) and after hearing all the ladies in one of my classes complain, I sent an email to the head of the bookstore that apparently has stirred up quite a shitstorm.

I asked for the ISBNs to the texts to my classes (I already ordered them online, so no real need), and was shot down rather rudely. I emailed her back a link to Section 112 of the HEOA:

http://content.efollett.com/HEOA/library/HEOATextbookProvision.pdf

and asked how exactly they felt they were in compliance with the law. First she sent an email claiming I made that link up and she had never heard of that law. Then she sent another email claiming that it doesn't apply to community colleges :laugh: She didn't seem to notice I was CC'ing our exchange to every single staff email I could harvest from their lovely website.

Then I got a very polite phone call this afternoon asking if I could come speak to the dean of students at my earliest convenience, if it was possible. So tomorrow afternoon should be interesting in any number of ways.

Why would they withhold the ISBNs? Once you know the name of the book and edition you can just punch it in Amazon and see what the ISBN is.

vains
May 26, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

That's in Arkansas, for reference.

Go West, young man, go West and sell yourself into wage slavery at the awful house.

vains
May 26, 2004

sharkbomb posted:

I registered for my fall semester (first semester) yesterday. What are some tips you all have for purchasing books and supplies? When I was in school in 2005, I just bought directly from the school bookstore... but now money is an actual thing I worry about so I'm trying not to give it away. Just wondering if you all had some websites/services you swear by.

bookholders.com if your school has it.

Koofers.com is good for exam studying.

vains
May 26, 2004

Jesus H Nyce posted:

I've been instructed that you only need to do 9 credit hours of graduate classes per semester to be considered full time while pursuing your masters for VA purposes. But I could have easily been misinformed.

That's because 9 credit hours in grad school is an equivalent workload to 12-15 credit hours in undergrad.

vains
May 26, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

You only burn what you use.

Pretty sure that you're wrong. Taking even one class a semester should burn a semester of benefits(but paid at a reduced rate). To get the most out of your benefits, you should at least be a full-time student for every semester in which you plan to draw GI Bill benefits.

vains
May 26, 2004

How hard is it to get a 20% VA disability after the fact? I just completed my contract fully in June(as in no IRR time left). I could legit claim tinnitus and anxiety(or PTSD I guess...?) without feeling like a scumbag. Do I just go to the VA and say "Hey, I want some disability?"

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Basically yeah.

Your hospital should have an OIF/OEF office. Call them and ask how to get started.

It's pretty easy to get 20% if you did pretty much anything.

and then I can hop on the Voc Rehab tit?

edit: Would a VA disability rating affect reenlistment? I know you can't take disability checks from the government and still be in.

vains
May 26, 2004

HeyEng posted:

Are there any gotchya's to attending a school in a state that you're not a resident of or is it pretty much the same as attending an in-state school?

You can establish residency immediately in a lot of states as a member of the Armed Forces.

vains
May 26, 2004

sharkbomb posted:

I was offered Federal Direct Subsidized Loans worth $2,250. With my GI Bill, I don't really need that money. Should I still take it and just keep it in my savings account? I plan on going to graduate school after I get my bachelors, so I'm going to be able to defer paying back the principal for AT LEAST 5 years.

If I decide to take the subsidized loan, do I have to get it through a private bank or does it come directly from the Federal government as the name implies?

Is there anything faulty with this reasoning? I'm very unfamiliar with this process...

Direct loans come direct from the government. I wouldn't take a loan unless you need the money.

edit: I guess you could take it and buy a 5 year certificate of deposit or something. Not going to get a great rate on that. The interest rate on savings accounts and money market accounts is so low that after 5 years you're going to have like 2272 dollars or something.

vains fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 27, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

Mad Pino Rage posted:

So I'm going for a bachelor's, but once I meet the requirements for an associates does that mean Pell Grants stop coming in? Do I automatically get an associates degree if I'm working for a BS in CompSci?

I just looked at my college's website, and there is no list for an associates for CompSci. I guess I'm good, but what about for others working for a bachelor's degree?

No, once you finish your first BACHELORS degree you will no longer be eligible for Pell Grants.

vains
May 26, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Ah, not so fast there. I wore out my Pell Grant 10 years ago with a trade school certification program. You can always find a way to waste it. I just had no idea at the time that I'd be going to a real college a decade down the road and didn't know about the one degree rule, didn't care. Hooray for being young and dumb. Got two disbursements out of it, what a loving waste.

Strange, maybe you should look into that further. An associates degree does not make you ineligible to receive a Pell Grant.
https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/scholarships-and-grants/what-is-a-pell-grant

vains
May 26, 2004

mokers dick is hard and calloused from constant abuse

vains
May 26, 2004

Shimazu posted:

If you google "the bonus army" you'll see into our future with the VA, by looking into the past.

you are a legit crazy/retarded person

vains
May 26, 2004

Nillerz posted:

If I was brought into title 10 active duty and am just about half a month shy of a year when I get back from my deployment, will I be eligible for 60 percent of the Post 911 GI bill? Do they get really finicky about that? I mean, it's not even a month but it's a huge financial difference...

How long were your orders cut for? If there is time on the backend of your activation, stay on active duty until you accumulate 1 year.

Your unit cannot force you to leave active duty prior to the completion of your orders.

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

PSU world campus or UMUC. Online, fully accredited from a real school. Get the diploma that says "University of Pennsylvania/Maryland".

I've been doing some research on this. UMUC, while still not bad, is not as good. The congressional committee that is looking into UoP and similar diploma mills, is also looking into UMUC. The outgoing president, who resigned suddenly, had encouraged some practices which lessened the academic credibility of the school.

vains
May 26, 2004

Bright Eyes posted:

e: Well Google comes up with this article in the Washinton Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/senate-chair-request-umuc-enrollment-workplace-records/2012/03/26/gIQAfrHpcS_story.html It looks like it was limited to the President.

That's what I'm talking about.

quote:

The chairman of the U.S. Senate education committee asked the chancellor of Maryland’s state university system Monday to hand over records on enrollment and workplace practices at the University of Maryland University College, where Susan Aldridge resigned as president last week.

HClChicken posted:

UMUC will hound you for years for you to come to them the second they find out that you are military (or that the applying person is a dependent).

Aggressive recruiting is kind of shady and might indicate issues within the school.

vains fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 27, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

I've been doing some research on UMUC and it looks like you get a diploma with University of Maryland-University College on it.

Does anyone have any actual experience with UMUC beyond taking some classes there?

vains
May 26, 2004

Beria posted:

I'm sort of confused about something. Are the University of Maryland you're referring to and UMUC the same thing?

UMUC is part of the University of Maryland system. There is no "University of Maryland". There is "University of Maryland-College Park", "University of Maryland-Baltimore County", "University of Maryland-University College" and so forth. UMD-College Park is the campus people mean when they say they went to University of Maryland but they're all part of the university system of Maryland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_System_of_Maryland#Universities

vains fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 5, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

DrCuntmuffins posted:

From what I see on AU for the Air Force, the only regionally accredited school that does online Computer Science degrees is Trident University.

Considering I'm overseas and all I can do is online stuff, this is where I enrolled.. I'm only one semester in, and for the most part, IT degrees are just checkmarks on a resume rather than a true measure of talent (that's what certifications are for)...

Am I totally in the wrong there? Should I have gone with something else?

You can do comp sci/IT stuff at UMUC or Penn State Online.

vains
May 26, 2004

hannibal posted:

UMUC does not have a Computer Science degree, only MIS and cyber security type stuff. My school (Capitol College) has one. James Madison has an online degree in infosec that they label as compsci I think. That's all I know off the top of my head and I've really only researched my part of the country. (Md/va/dc)

http://www.umuc.edu/undergrad/ugprograms/cmis.cfm

Comp sci/IT stuff

http://www.umuc.edu/undergrad/ugprograms/cmsc.cfm

comp sci

vains fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 5, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

DrCuntmuffins posted:

yeah, a lot of these places require you to take at least 4 credits in classroom at a university and attend the graduation though

which is, suffice to say, impossible for me to do

Are you on your first term enlistment? Why aren't you just planning on knocking out some classes when you can and then transfering the credits elsewhere?

vains
May 26, 2004

DrCuntmuffins posted:

This is something I've been wrestling with.
I have about 90 credits right now for my university, at my current pace I'd be done with my degree, totally on TA in about 2.5 years; meaning I'd have my degree before I left.

Yes, I'm a first termer. My 2.5 year mark just passed a few days ago, so I have 3.5 more years left (6yr enlistment).

I don't have a specific question about clearances, but I dont know if opsec/blabla would allow me to post it on the web, and my security manager didn't know about any specifics when I asked him it a few months ago.
without knowing the specific of your life situation:

1) Getting a degree at a brick/mortar institution is still better than getting a degree online. If you're a lifer, I guess it doesn't matter.

2) Once you get an undergrad degree, you lose eligibility for Pell Grants.

3) If your credits transfer and you have a good GPA, you could finish your degree at someplace more prestigious and get a better job for more money.

Just some thoughts. I don't really know what you're plans are or what your life situation is.

vains
May 26, 2004

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Well, without getting too in depth:

Get out of military
IT (network engineering)
Already CCNA/CCNP, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP/MCDST (previous civ job pre-mil)
Previous work as network administrator

E: I'm not retarded, I've done all the work basically required for a degree, the classes I am taking are a loving breeze (minus the math, that's new), but I have almost all the knowledge a degree would give me, I just need the certification that I HAVE the degree.

I mean, at this point I have three colleges under my belt, Trident U (only 8 creds this semester, because AD lyfe), NVCC (where I dropped out and joined the mil), CCAF

I just don't know. I feel like clearances expire as soon as you leave the military, so I'd want to get into the process of renewing ASAP, which is the main reason for trying to get my degree before leaving.

I guess I transition back to the states in June of 2013, but I still have no idea where I'm going. If I wait another semester, I feel like I won't be able to finish my degree before I get out, and would have to use my Post 9/11 for a one or two semesters to finish up my degree.

/clusterfuck

While regionally accredited, Trident U is for profit.

What are you saving your 9/11 GI Bill for?

Also, there are a ton of jobs on USAJOBS.gov(at least in the DC area) for summer/parttime IT interns. Maybe these will keep your clearance active while you finish up at a real place?

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

That's not so bad since there are state programs where I live that pay all tuition at state schools. Thus my use of CH1606 isn't as bad of a deal as it sounds. 28 months of Post 9/11 at 60-80% should be plenty considering other financial aid and getting reimbursed for tuition at state schools at the end of each semester.

If you deployed, you're eligible for 1607 which is an additional 12 months of GI Bill eligibility.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

But why would I use 1607 if I can get 60 to 80% (When I likely deploy it should put me very close to 24 months of active duty time) Post 9/11? Even 60% would be $600 a month in BAH plus the fact the state repays me tuition in the form of a grant at the end of each successful semester.

I probably misunderstood the intricacies of it but 1607 entitles you to an additional 12 months of benefits. These 12 months transfer to 9/11 GI Bill.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Interesting, so use 1607 for a short period then switch to Post 9/11?

I don't know. I used 1607 for a semester before Post 9/11 began.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

No, but you need active duty time beyond training. I have nearly a year of active duty for training that doesn't count now but likely will once I deploy and have more than 24 months cumulative active service.

I'm pretty sure that, as a reservist, you become eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill immediately but at the 40% rate.

Also, your training time doesn't count until you hit 24months of cumulative active duty other than training. Your training doesn't factor into the 24months requirement.

vains
May 26, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I'm still on active duty but I want to line up as many ducks as possible ahead of time, how do I transfer my benefits from montgomery to post-9/11?

You fill out a form electing to take 9/11 over old GI Bill.

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

To be more specific, you go to VONAPP and start filling out that form.

I thought you just did it at the registrars office. Its not some big bureaucratic nightmare though.

vains
May 26, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Be aware that earning a bachelors prior to getting out will put you at a loss for any FAFSA type benefits. Vas, correct me if I'm wrong there.

You're not eligible for Pell Grants after getting a bachelors.

vains
May 26, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

O ok

Just seems like grad school while working isn't a big problem so rest easy mate! : - )

around here most people ask about EIT and if PE is a goal more than grad school, which makes sense to me

A friend of mine is a CE with a masters in structural. He said he needed the masters unless he just wanted to design wastewater holding tanks and roads.

vains
May 26, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

A friend of mine(psydude) said that in order to get a good job, you should major in something stupid and pointless, and any job you want will be open. So do that

Oh okay. This should be in the OP. Its good advice.

vains
May 26, 2004

How much of an effect do letters of recommendation and work experience have in getting into a masters program in your career field? What about completion of a graduate certificate at a different school(as long as its not a for profit)?

vains
May 26, 2004

HClChicken posted:

Your dad is in a different era where people with masters were the select few who wanted to be experts in their field and the PhDs were those who absolutely loved their study and were considered the top or so. Now you need MS and PhD to be competitive. He has his contacts, employment and career all lined up. You can do a co-op program and get some work experience, but by the time you are done you're not going to have more than one year time on the job.

Great generalization of the every industry and employer in America.

vains
May 26, 2004

HClChicken posted:

Your point being? My generalization is more accurate than someone saying a BS will get you a job in the field you want. With a BS in a hard science you're not going to do poo poo but be a lab monkey, with a BA in social sciences you're not going to do anything but work at near minimum wage jobs. Many career fields are getting pushed towards requiring doctorates to do the same work bachelors allowed. PharmD is one field that sucessfully completed that push and now physical therapists is one that is attempting the change.

Here's another article showing the exact opposite from what that employment percentage summary did. http://chronicle.com/article/Millions-of-Graduates-Hold/136879/ Oh, and it's from the last few months, not four years ago.

I thought my point was pretty clear but I guess not. You cannot describe tens of millions of jobs from millions of employers with 1 paragraph and expect any significant degree of accuracy.

Your prospective career field might require higher education to secure entry level employment but the same is not true everywhere.

vains
May 26, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why would you be at 60%? it's 36 months of service to earn 100% of the Post-9/11.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001
http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Tim_the_Enchanter posted:

Vasudus, you've been helpful with all my other threads thus far, so in relation to getting out and my dream of working at NASA and all the other hoopla we spoke on, do you or any others know of solid, Vet friendly colleges near Quantico, VA? I am going to go for computer sciences to get my foot in the door, so if that makes any difference, I am just trying to compile a list of ones to start inquiries on.

George Mason, UMD-College Park. Mary Washington is in Fredericksburg if you really want to go to the closest school.

• Locked thread