Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Vasudus posted:

Got my Army College Fund (kicker) backpay finally today. 9k retroactive, and they owe me an additional 1700 when Fall 2011 starts.

Congrats! Surprise money is always the best kind of money.

Question: Does the date on a certificate of eligibility matter? I got mine in 2008 before the IRR butt hosed my school plans and will be needing it in the Fall to start using my post 9/11 poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I read this thread to the best of my ability. Screen brightness is on its lowest possible setting and I'm running on very low battery power (my cheap Bahrain plug converter broke earlier).

My family lives close to a community college, and there are two good universities about an hour away. Could I live with them and collect the E5 BAH stipend pay, or do I need to provide documentation to someone claiming that I'm living at an apartment nearby college? I'd really like to save and apply that money to get my master's degree.

After reading this thread, I'd really like to go to college out of state. I like home, Indiana, but going to college somewhere else especially if they offer better programs or something better. Just living in another state would be awesome. Anyone have any experience with that?

You can live where ever you want, the BAH is based on the zipcode of the school you attend and not where you physically live. An hour each way to school might get really old really fast though so keep that in mind.

I moved to Michigan for school after my last deployment and I'm very happy with the choice. The only problem you might face is you'll be considered an out of state student for your first year which could be pretty costly depending on the school. Some states and some individual schools have residency waivers for veterans so that's one way to work around that.

I did my first year at a community college without using my GI Bill so I could save that year for a graduate degree. Community college is generally cheap as gently caress and you might be able to cover it just on grants/a part time job especially if you're living at home. ymmv of course.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Were I you I would actually start emailing Admissions for various schools in the states which you're looking at.

Yes, do this. My school gives all veterans the in-state rate no matter what but that info wasn't readily available anywhere. Asking the school directly is the way to go.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

How is rate of pursuit calculated if you have a mix of online and on campus classes? And you get full BAH as long as you're over what your school considers part time right? I'm taking 14 credits right now (6 at campus, 8 online) and I'd like to stop going/withdraw from my clac class which would bump me down to 9 credits (6 campus, 3 online). I'll grind my way along and try to bang out a passing grade if it will gently caress my BAH up but if not I'm outta that bitch.

edit: Think I found the answer, with the most recent gi bill version you need to be at or above full time to get the full bah rate. Online credits count towards full time as long as you have at least one on campus class. If this is wrong please let me know.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 8, 2012

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Thanks bros. Yeah it's a lot of work and it pretty much sucks butts.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Xanieth posted:

How is this going to work for my summer courses?

Get in touch with your certifying official or someone else at the school and ask what exactly they consider full time for summer. My school splits summer up into two different 10 week sessions and the word from them is that I just have to take a total of 12 credits during the entire summer to count as full time.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

You automatically get a free one time drop of up to 6 credits without any penalties. I withdrew from a spanish class a few weeks into last semester and then got a letter in the mail about not having to pay anything back due to the free drop. I think that still applies even if it's an F and I don't believe it will mess up your pell grant but don't quote me on that.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Seems reasonable to me unless I'm missing something here. I'd mail/scan/fax/drop off whatever paperwork they wanted if it kept me from getting screwed in case of a delay from the VA.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I have nothing constructive to add but drat do I feel dumb for taking a cash bonus over extra GI bill money. "College? gently caress that I'm going to be in the army forever!"

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

You guys are lucky. My certifying official is super strict about only certifying me for classes in my major/minor. As such I've had to change my major and minor several times already. This summer my major will be communications and theater arts or some poo poo with a minor in creative writing so I can have a chill summer maxin and relaxin all cool.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Name: Richiehimself
School: Eastern Michigan University
Major/Minor: History/Econ

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Not sure if this is common knowledge already but BAH increases/decreases take effect for Post-9/11 folks on August 1st instead of January 1st. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any extra BAH since the rate in my area went up $150.

Source: http://www.gibill.va.gov/community/announcements/general.html

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 1, 2013

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

When the VA sends that letter saying how many fat stacks you're getting for the semester and this is how much time you have remaining, does the time left not count the semester you're about to start? So like if it says you have 12 months left you'll have 9 or whatever after the semester?

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Vasudus posted:

They usually tell you in the letter 'after the period ending blah/blah/2013' how much time you'll have left.

Mine didn't, just said this is how much time you have left and you benefits expire on this date.

Victor Vermis posted:

ebenfits.va.gov is a lot easier to understand than those damned letters- I forgot all about the site until someone reminded me when I asked that same question on here.

Thanks man, that actually helped. Ebenefits didn't specify if the current period was included or not but it listed all the benefits I used. Some quick math showed that the listed time remaining is what you have left after your current enrollment period. I assumed that's how it worked but I've been burned before by things that seem obvious but aren't specifically stated. I'm trying to figure out exactly when my poo poo will run out so I'll know when/if I should switch to voc rehab.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

GD_American posted:

Also, the Student Org day was today, apparently they started an SVA chapter here. I know mileage varies by chapter, but is it a good organization?

Yeah it varies a ton based on school but it's generally a good thing. The chapter at my school can't seem to get people to come to meetings but they still do weekly meetups at a local bar and other random BBQs and poo poo throughout the year. The only meeting they had last winter was just me and a handful of chill dudes so it was cool but I imagine it'd suck if it's full of dudes rocking high and tights that want to tell you about that time they totally killed a guy.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't have Thursday night classes for once this semester so I can actually go to those things :toot:

Nice! I haven't been to any yet but it seems like an alright time.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

My grandpa used the GI Bill in the 70's and when I told him how sick the new one is it blew his mind. Literally. He's dead now.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

So has anyone ever got credit for those BS basic training/OSUT credits from the Joint Services Transcript, 11b w/ airborne specifically? It seems to me that if you go to an Actual Real-Person School that gives Real Degrees that you wouldn't get poo poo for stuff like "ethics" and "marksmanship" and "physical education-parachuting".

I sent the transcript in via the JST site anyway, but I will be really surprised if my school gives credit for it. There's nothing on the school's site about it other than "yeah go to JST and send it to the registrar".

I'm not airborne but 11b and my school gave me 18 credits for that poo poo and they counted as elective credits. My school has army ROTC and a military science minor so most of the credits fell under that department, got 3 credits for "Foundations of Officership" lmbo.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Has anyone had to deal with the VA debt management people before? How long is it going to take me to get one of them on the phone that can actually help me? They're trying to charge me for refunded tuition and fees that they already collected from my school.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

unlike calling the VA for something you need help with and waiting hours, you'll get on the line with someone at debt management right away 9 times out of 10. during busy times of the month when the wait on the main line is super long I've even called the debt management line to ask my question instead, if the person's not a dick they'll answer it and save me a couple hours

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Hey, don't know if this was posted in here or not, but if not it should be in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pjd1QEA0c

Hearing LBJ talk about his huge balls and say the word bunghole is loving hilarious. But seriously dudes, don't go to a for profit school and condolences to you normies out there that need student loans. I'm gonna send this to my bro who has a degree from Phoenix and is baffled as to why he's having such a hard time getting a job.

• Locked thread