Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How does the Navy college fund/kicker work? It's the only thing I got when I enlisted. I think it was $500 every 2 weeks or a month? They just pay you that outright? I submitted a request to view my OMPF so I can get my original contract with that on it before I switch my GI bill to post 9-11 since you have the option to upload that during the application process. I have my original contract somewhere around here but gently caress if I know where it is.

Otherwise you'd just send your contract with the bonus to the VA education office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ no?

Nimmy posted:

Can I collect BAH for 4 years taking bullshit classes with no intention at all to complete a degree in order to supplement my income?

Pretty sure they have to be roughly in the same field and going towards a particular type of degree(s)

Also you usually need 6+ units a semester to get any benefits. And 12 to get 100% BAH. Not exactly sure if all 12 have to meet the above requirements.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So switched to post 911 and the "upload a file" option was broke as poo poo, as expected (even when I used internet explorer)

So I have a copy of my initial contract and specifically saved the parts that said I get the college kicker/bonus. Do I just mail a copy of that to the VA education department? Anyway I can just email it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also probably goes without saying but make sure you check how much terminal you can take. Some commands have dumb limits

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Pretty sure no I know I had to submit any and all transcripts I had prior to make sure I wasn't scamming by taking the same class again

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ah yeah I think I remember something about yeah if it was towards a specific degree it was ok. And aside from not accepting the transfer credits some classes "expire" too

Ugh don't listen to me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just call the regional VA education office and they can mail you one an official cert of eligibility stating how many months you have left the exact entitlements etc. The lady I spoke to was able to email it but I don't think they're normally allowed to

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya just keep in mind the start of semesters and summer school etc payments are a bit wonky and could be a month late

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My buddy in NYC just got out. Works at a bar, school, and I think unemployment

Pulling $7k/month

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

As long as you have a little foresight and play your cards right you can really be set up. They're just throwing money at me at this point and I still make almost double what I did while active duty not working? ......

Like on top of everything else I also got $2,400 of grant money for the academic year. Tuition includes books so there's another $800

Also my interviewer had a personal friend that was medical in the Navy in Vietnam and kept going on about that. Think that definitely helped. Wouldn't be surprised to find that some places have an unofficial veteran quota.

Echoing off of quietwilds I think some places are enthused to accept younger enlisted type veterans. As said it helps add to the dynamic and as long as you show a little dedication and all that.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not sure on the specifics I think it has to do with the fact that I had barely been out maybe 2 months if you don't count terminal

I could have cared less about the kicker bonus when I enlisted. Didn't even know I was entitled to it until I went to sign. But hell I'll take that extra $200/month

I do feel a little bad for the people talking about all their insane loans they had to take and their poo poo weekend jobs

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'll plan my EAS for a different time of the year when I reenlist

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I called because I didn't receive mine in the mail. The lady was actually able to email it to me because I really needed it but I don't think she was supposed to. Got it snailmail within 5 days after that

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

- edit lol nvm guess I just never checked that

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 20, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That being said my school required the actual official letter because they'll ask you a 100 times how much you have left. I think I remember the ebenefits but can you over if you need some proof.

Also I called and got the letter mailed and emailed but I don't think she was supposed to do the latter. I was just polite

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well BAH is factored off of your school's zip code not where you live. So you can just plug the zip into the BAH calculator. I'm sure you already know but you get e-5 BAH with the post-911, assuming you didn't get out as an e-5 or above

Also collecting unemployment while going to school depends on the state. In California you're not allowed to go to school and collect unemployment because if you can go to school you can look for work. That's the thought process anyways. I assume most states are the same. There are exceptions of course. They don't actually check any of the above nor have I heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. Know a lot of people that collected while using the post 911 for school. One of my buddies said his friend did click the "are you attending school, training, blah blah"'option and they called him for a phone interview to determine eligibility and he said he'd quit school if he got a job and that was good enough for them.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 2, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I could live just off of BAH alone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The gift that just keeps on giving, drat. Now that I don't have an income curious to see what that grant money will be here coming up next year and such :eyepop:

I hate when they pay you more than they normally do and you're just waiting for the "woops we overpaid you!" letter

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I get nervous crossing streets with garbage or huge crowds

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait what hold up how come I've never heard of this what's the catch. Not because I'm living off of Disney buxs paycheck to paycheck but so I can finish paying off my Camaro but hey free money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think GI bill will only pay for you to take it again if you fail? Correct me if I'm wrong I swore I heard someone say this

• Locked thread