Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Yes, they are. Well, it's an option. They offer job placement, but mostly focus on getting you trained/educated so they can place you in a career later, not some bullshit $8/hr job. If you take a job outside of what they can scrounge up, they're cool with that too. Dude's getting railed by someone at the VA.

The earlier question aside, how is one supposed to have higher than $8+ job without college? Are they talking about blue collar skills/training? Contracting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If you plan to get a Masters, is it better to wait till your Post 9/11 is used up before switching to Rehab or should I switch this fall?

Basically, if I switch this fall, I don't know if Rehab will say "Sure...keep going all the way through your Masters" or if they will stop me once I'm done with my BS.

Maybe its better to use up Post 9/11, then apply?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vasudus posted:

You can apply for Voc Rehab and tell them that your goal is to get your Master's, because of <insert reasons why> and they will approve it.

For me, I plan on telling them that I'm done with my BS in December, my Post 9/11 time is used up about the same time, and I need them to get my MBA.

I'm curious because I've heard a few interesting things before, namely that the counselor controls your class schedule each semester precisely, you report in to them, etc. Also, I've heard of veterans being denied Voc Rehab due to their service connection "aggravating" their desired career choice(IE PTSD does not play well with others), or other reasons. I'm guessing it depends a lot on the individual counselor and veteran as well.

Any experiences/advice for Voc Rehab that you can expand on from the OP would be great.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well, based on your non-guidance from the VA, I decided I'm going to wait till at least January to apply for Voc-Rehab.

My guess is that it will be like the Post-9/11 transition IE a shitstorm. :aaaaa:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

If you haven't taken CLEP tests yet, for god's sake do so. I've already knocked out Microeconomics and CIS, going to hit Macroeconomics and English Lit next. That's an entire loving semester gone for 77 bucks a test (which the VA reimburses), a couple of weeks of cramming, and a 100 question test.

Holy Christ, thank you for this. I just found out I can knock out my Fall/Winter/Spring 3 class sequences for both Calculus and Chemistry. Six less mentally taxing courses to murder my GPA with only two exams!

Awesome!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If anything, its like those fuckers who take convincing to finish college while trying to "go pro" in the world of sports. It may not be needed now but I'd sure as poo poo like something worthwhile to fall back on in case Option A doesn't pan out.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Rrail posted:

Like on what grounds did they admit you? What did they judge you based off of?

From what I read(this was 2 years ago), a lot of admissions places like to see passion in students about their university. A lot of high school students apply to 20 different colleges, so colleges are more quickly to dismiss them based on stats alone. I'm sure being a non-traditional student, and growing up quickly over the course of 4-6 years definitely helps as well.

For example, I had a poo poo GPA in HS(2.8), and applied to both Northeastern University and UMass-Amherst. Umass didn't ask for an essay but for Northeastern, I wrote about my military experiences tying into growing up along with visiting a few friends there and sitting in on a few courses while on leave. I actually ended up getting rejected from Umass but accepted by Northeastern, which is a top-100 school.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Should I have anything to worry about for this or will the school take care of it? I do not want the VA raping me of money.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just got word from my certifying official, who is quite on the ball like Vasudus's boss. If you're an out-of-state student going to a state school, fun's over.

The VA will only pay instate tuition rate to state schools from now on out. My Yellow Ribbon, for instance, will cover the difference only for fall and after that, its Pell Grant, and maybe Stafford for the rest of the terms. Hoping my VocRehab gets set up in time to avoid any debt.

tl;dr Apply for VocRehab now if your tuition situation is changing so you can be covered.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I was never asked for or about anything to that nature. Their questions involving disciplinary issues were all involving academic dishonesty, but if it were anything involving that, I'd definitely disclose it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Exactly. The biggest factors of the Yellow Ribbon Program are if your school partakes in it, how many slots they have total and the total amount of aid.

My old school had 165 slots for undergrad, grad, and law for $5000 each, so that was $10K extra in aid.

Just have to check with each school and the VA's website.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Happen to have 10% service connected (physical in place of ETS physical) or 20% rating by the VA (done after ETS)? You could do exactly what I'm doing. Voc Rehab pays 100%. Tuition, books, necessary supplies (expensive calculators) about $100~ for supplies if you go all spring, summer and fall semesters. The 60% will translate over to your BAH option (in place of old Voc Rehab stipend rate).

Don't have the rating? Well poo poo, enjoy. I took SLRP to pay off trade school loans, thinking I'd work that the rest of my life, and real college never crossed my mind.

I have my first meeting on Thursday to switch over. Any advice besides have a solid plan prepared and don't be a dumbass? :v:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sarah posted:

Rage

Agreed, the amount for books is not nearly enough. I'm dealing with 2 classes that require those activation code bullshit things this semester. As for the other stuff, 2-3 weeks seems to be about the norm nowadays, especially for fall term. If all that stuff is going on, I'd have to say it's the fault of your school and/or your vet certification guy, not the VA. Sadly it just depends on how they have things set up and 'vet friendly' they are. Schools like Vasudus's and my own are just fortunate enough to let them not gently caress with vets, even if they haven't payed yet. My old school was like yours though, and it loving sucked. I was even selling some of my firearms for cash in 2009 until they issued the $3000 checks because I was so broke.

Vasudus, I'm surprised you don't pimp Ch31 now over 33 for those eligible, especially with the BAH changeover. Everything has been smooth so far, plus all books and a MacBook Pro for next semester. I mean the VA literally has an expense account at our campus bookstore, WTF.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You just have to state that you need X and sell it to them. I asked for a laptop due to some hybrid classes since I only have a desktop. At first, they wanted to do a Dell(along with printer and ink to boot), but they said if I could convince them I needed a Mac, then I could have it.

Multiple articles on how Macs cost less over time than PCs/dual boot, a letter from the Department head in my program and a letter from the VA speech pathologist detailing how Macs are easier to use for vets in school. It's all about how much red tape you're willing to go through.

I'd rather have something I've seen last previously with awesome customer support(Apple).

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You should get it on the 30th. USAA pays you a day before, so I received mine today.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

In OR, they have a waiver to make it less than non-resident but more expensive than the resident rate. Come this fall, as a non-resident, my yellow ribbon would only cover fall before I would have been forced to dip into Stafford Loans. Pretty much three options if you're going to someplace that costs more than instate tuition.

1) Yellow Ribbon, see how much it'll cover the out of state fees.
2) Pell Grant and Stafford Loans
3) Voc Rehab if you qualify.

Otherwise, you have to wait a year to establish residency. I'm pretty sure you can't be in school during that year period(moving for the sole purpose of education).

I also know that if you're drilling in the Guard for Oregon, you are considered a resident. Not sure of the reserves but I'm betting they are similar. That might be your best bet TBO.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Uh oh. I'm at 60% and haven't been reporting it.

Time for some time in 'Federal-Pound-Me-In-The-rear end-Prison'. :(

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Hell, the best skill I received from the military was being proactive, at the verge of hounding, for benefits.

No one else is gonna do it, get yours while you can.:smug:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I try to have one months rent set aside, especially near/during the start of a new semester. Sometimes certifying is painfully slow and other times, it works fine.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Thank you for all the help and info. What the hell does this mean:

"Interval pay, or break pay, is no longer available between semesters. While this means that you cannot receive partial housing allowance over the winter break, it also means that you are not wasting your entitlement on only a few hundred dollars. Remember that you can start and finish an entire semester with only one month of benefits left, so that one month of entitlement that you used over winter break to receive housing allowance could actually be worth more than $10,000 later on. Just don’t forget to save"

It means that of your 36 months of benefits, only the time you are enrolled is deducted from the total. Say your semester is from Oct. 1 to Dec. 15th and doesn't start again till January 2nd. You only have 2 months and 15 days deducted from the total vs 3 months. Previously, if you went to school in both Fall and the Spring, you would get paid the full BAH for December and you would have used 3 months of benefits. Now, you get pro-rated BAH(less money) between semesters, but you save more time.

Later on, you start graduate school with only 13 days of benefits left in September. The VA will pay for that entire semester even if you only have 13 days of benefits left, hence the 'could be more than $10,000 later on'.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Question involving pro-rating both BAH and educational time remaining. I'm considering dropping to 8 credits next quarter for a breather vs my current (16). If you use VocRehab and elect the Post 9/11 BAH, do the same rules apply for part-time prorating? IE 12 credits is full time for me, so 8 credits would net me only 70% or is it a flat rate, like the old VocRehab stipend?

Also, if I were to go part time for one quarter, say 3 months at 8 credits, would they prorate my educational time remaining? So instead of subtracting a flat 3 months, it'd be closer to 2?

If I'm still going to use up the same amount of benefits, I might as well only drop to 12 and stay full time.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah I'm still curious/apprehensive on how VocRehab is gonna work out. I applied back in Sept, and accepted, then being I was told I would be contacted by my counselor between Nov and Dec for the next term in Jan. Still nadda. I know it's still early but I definitely want to get stuff straight for the next term.

Spongebob, I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow so I can ask some questions in detail about the program.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Same thing that has been covered previously, but if you can get 9/11 to cover your education, get it covered.

Voc-Reb is your ace in the hole. They cover the entire tuition cost, supplies, etc. The difference is that you're accountable to someone(a counselor), each semester/quarter and they have a goal to employ you in X, not educate you.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just got my ID badge for work study at the main hospital. Looks exactly like our CAC cards, so I guess that's the standard for everyone now. I start next week, gonna try getting a job in engineering or IT, because patient care of any sort is NOT my thing.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My process took most of last quarter in Oct till now. Part of that is the VA but also lack of following up on my part. I also had technical issues with the background check that I didn't follow up on. More on that in a bit.

-Turn in all the required paperwork/documents to work study. They verify attendance and you get an email in ~3 weeks confirming eligibility.

-Go to HR to get a PIV/CAC card with background investigation using e-qip. Fingerprints, personal info and instructions for the process. Not as invasive as an SF86, thank god. Usually takes 2-3 weeks ish. Note: due to new policy, I was just told if you have any sort of DOD clearance (Secret, TS, TS/SCI, Q, etc), you now can skip the background if you've been out less than 2 years. They cleared/transferred me from JPAS and printed my badge in 30 minutes while I waited there.

-Fill out a work study allowance agreement and return it. You need a new one of these every quarter and it basically says how many hours you can work. That, a TB test and then coming back to pick out a job can all be knocked out in a day or two.

So basically you're looking at 2 months or so from turn in if you streamline it, maybe less. My problem is that e-qip was messed up due to previous contractor applications and I couldn't access the system or remember my "golden questions". After dragging my feet due to school and going home during winter break. I finally went in yesterday to see them in person where they cleared me/transferred my DOD Secret over with a new badge right there.

Also, at least at my location, work study is known as a good "in" to a permanent job in the VA system, so that's kinda cool.

Sorry, I write these things and they always end up long as hell. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 6, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

Quick question. You know how if you elect post 9/11 over Montgomery you can never revert back on way or the other? If I used a couple semesters of post 9/11 can I switch to voc rehab (I meet and exceed the requirements for it).

Yeah, if you get accepted into the program(basically if your disabilities don't interfere with you working or your career path), then yes. I just switched from post 9/11 to voc rehab this quarter. Just make sure to give them your post 9/11 certificate of eligibility in order to get your BAH still instead of the $600 ish voc rehab usually pays.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Its a simple prorated formula based on the full month's BAH. For example, your monthly BAH is $1300 for a full 30 days. You're in school for only 20 that month. 20/X = 30/1300. Cross multiply and divide ends up being $866 for that month. I've had breaks that only last a week but they were taken away and prorated. Usually it goes off of your school's official academic calendar, so it's not YOUR last final day, it's the end of finals week entirely.

I'm pretty sure if you had 3 days left, the VA will pay for the semester tuition wise, but you'll only get 3 days prorated BAH for that first month and nothing more. Not sure on books though, I'm sure Vasudus knows more details.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I forget, does 24cr/year clock start Aug 1st or Jan 1st?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If Vasudus posted his Facebook, his wall would turn into the Educational Thread.

"Vasudus.....where's my $$$$!?!"

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah, the time not used or given BAH for isn't deducted from your total time.

Also, 4-6 weeks to process this term? Have you heard the same thing Vas or are they just doing a bit of CYA?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Still waiting to get paid for April.

gently caress their backlog. I thought they had this poo poo under control already.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

sharkbomb posted:

I was wondering the same thing. I'm a former Navy corpsman (thus no actual civilian certifications) and will be going to school for a career in the medical field. If I could get hospital/clinic experience while also using VA work study that would be great...

I doubt actually working with patients is feasible due to HIPAA aside from pushing wheelchairs or hospital beds(which I have seen work study guys do) from/to the ER. However, there are definitely clinical positions available.

They had 3-4 Research Assistant positions open in our job book when I was looking to 'apply' for one, so there are definitely science oriented ones. A lot of the more 'technical' work study positions put requirements down, such as wanting Bio/Science majors for the RA positions and perhaps some related experience. For my IT position, I had a technical mini-interview and some hands on tests. Its really up to the direct supervisor you're going to be working under.

Another idea I was told from the work study coordinator is that if I knew somebody in the hospital(my PCP, physical therapist, speech pathologist, etc), is to ask them if they or someone they know needs help since you're free labor to them. You just created yourself a job, and all they have to do is sign off on your hours sheet.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 17, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vas, with BAH rates changing in Aug to the 2012 rates, have you received any guidance on it? Will the change start with Aug 1 pay or Sept 1 pay?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sarah posted:

Yep, I'm counting them right. What was a 5 hour class for quarters is now only 4. The Bio and Chem = 8, plus throwing in a bullshit Communications class for 3. So that only gets me to 11.

I can't shove another class in the schedule either so I'll just stick with 11 credits. At least after fall I will finally be able to actually apply to the program I want.

Look at the PE classes if your school has them. My school has plenty of weightlifting, volleyball, karate, etc classes for only 1 credit and they're all pretty awesome.

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I have a confession, I slid so far into not giving a gently caress after I got out that I should probably be tried at The Hague for my first semester GPA, and now i'm on probation even though I did adequately last spring. I don't know if I should even go back to school now :cripes:

A lot of people here, myself included, have been through a rough patch due to that poo poo. Just make sure you get things good to go for the next quarter and GO TO CLASS.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My BAH backpay came for the last week of June, except it's in the form of a paper check. For CH33 and my disability, everything was USAA direct deposit but now I'm on VRE with no banking changes.

The educational hotline seems to have squat in their system when it comes to VRE and my [interim] counselor has blatantly told me he hasn't handled active cases before. Only thing is that my award was sent in on the 12th of July.

Best course of action to switch this over? I'd rather not go hunting for my BAH checks in the mail.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vasudus posted:

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/afism/AFISMFormRepository/SBS/tuitionfee/fall2012/UG%20Resident%20and%20Bordering%20County.pdf

Your school seriously charges on a per-credit basis all the way up to 19 credits? What in the flying loving what poo poo huh?

Welp, that totally destroys my '99.99% of schools work this way' statement. I've never encountered that, at least not up to 19 goddamn credits.

Yeah, I've never heard of the 'flat' fee you mentioned up until now. My school does the same thing on a per/credit hour basis, so its hardly worth the risk of dropping a class.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

SumYungGui posted:

So I'm guessing the institutions somehow manage to leech away all the profit? Someone for drat sure is making money off a hundred-dollar-or-more book that everyone has to re-buy every six months because they put different homework questions in.

If by institutions, you mean publishers. Why do you think there is a new 'edition' each year that you MUST have?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vas, you have any experience with this before? I'm going to call my counselor on Monday but I'm just curious what your take on this is.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

HClChicken posted:

For some reason imgur doesn't show up anymore in over here in the desert. What is your image?

Sent you a PM so my DropBox isn't destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well, a veteran on another forum posted this.

quote:

Do you mind if I ask what school you are going to? I have never heard of this happening to the extent of sending a letter to the students telling them to hound their VRC's. It is strange.

The usual process is that the invoices are sent to the VRC, who then approves them (we have a 48 hour turn around requirement in our office), who then sends them to the person charged with paying the invoices at the RO. VA invoices are supposed to be paid within 30 days. The actual invoice could be sent from the school via VAONCE, email, fax, or snail-mail.

I wonder if there is a break-down in that line somewhere...
I would imagine the VA would be concerned if they lost a school altogether because of this. I do know that one of the school's bookstores will no longer allow students to buy their books via 31.

They can purchase them outright and have the VRC reimburse them, or get them at another outlet, like Amazon. Apparently those invoices were not processed in a timely enough manner. It is hard to pin down who the culprit of that was, as the school is online, and close to about six states.

Sent him a PM, so I'm curious to learn what else he knows.

• Locked thread