Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
OK, so BAH.

I was taking 7 credit hours last semester, one online and one physically attended. I got the equivalent fraction of BAH (7/12ths).

Summer semester, I'm taking 6 credit hours, but apparently (according to our VA counselor, whose opinion I'm trusting less and less) 7 credit hours is full-time in summer, so I'm getting almost the whole deal.

When I go back to fall semester and do 6 credit hours, I understand that my payment will drop. But, according to my counselor, I have to physically attend at least one class to get the BAH payment. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's E-5 with dependents rate, right?

poo poo, at my zip that's 1080/month. Enough to make it a wash between half that and half the national average. If so, I might as well take two online classes (so I don't lose two days of overtime a week).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm, poo poo. That'd mean a loss of August and September's BAH, plus a two-hundred dollar haircut per month after that. That's a vastly different story.

I don't mind physically attending classes, I just get sick of hearing the snide comments from the boss when OT comes up and I have to go to school. He's actually really cool about it (I've never had to miss a class because of work), but he does get kind of passive-aggressive snipey.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you haven't taken CLEP tests yet, for god's sake do so. I've already knocked out Microeconomics and CIS, going to hit Macroeconomics and English Lit next. That's an entire loving semester gone for 77 bucks a test (which the VA reimburses), a couple of weeks of cramming, and a 100 question test.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I remember a website I used to prep for two CLEP tests I took, they had practice tests and study guides.

I don't remember what the frigging website is, just that I got to it through some veteran's resource. Anyone want to help my totally useless, incredibly vague question?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TheUnhorse posted:

Was it petersens? Its like... petersens.com/dod or something right?

That's it.

I guess better hurry up, cuz:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODDiscProducts.aspx

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So my school isn't even giving half of a poo poo about HEOA compliance (ie, disclosing ISBNs of textbooks) and after hearing all the ladies in one of my classes complain, I sent an email to the head of the bookstore that apparently has stirred up quite a shitstorm.

I asked for the ISBNs to the texts to my classes (I already ordered them online, so no real need), and was shot down rather rudely. I emailed her back a link to Section 112 of the HEOA:

http://content.efollett.com/HEOA/library/HEOATextbookProvision.pdf

and asked how exactly they felt they were in compliance with the law. First she sent an email claiming I made that link up and she had never heard of that law. Then she sent another email claiming that it doesn't apply to community colleges :laugh: She didn't seem to notice I was CC'ing our exchange to every single staff email I could harvest from their lovely website.

Then I got a very polite phone call this afternoon asking if I could come speak to the dean of students at my earliest convenience, if it was possible. So tomorrow afternoon should be interesting in any number of ways.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

HClChicken posted:

so what happened?

Total anti-climax. Bookstore lady is a hard worker and was just mistaken, we're in the process of transferring blah blah and intend to be fully in compliance blah blah

I had a super-bad day at work before the meeting so I wasn't feeling up to being as antagonistic as I'm capable. I guess I can table the issue for when I'm feeling bored a few months down the line.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yes, Chapter 33 pays at the beginning of the month.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When someone withdraws from school, do they need to repay the BAH and/or tuition payments the VA made for that semester?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goddamnit. Go to class Tuesday night, both classes cancelled for low enrollment. It just so happens to be the last day of drop/add.

I get the head of the Business department to fit me into some daytime classes (have to quit my job now, no biggie guys, right?), and asked him to drop my nighttime science class. Checked my schedule last night- science class is still there.

Get up early, go to drop that class. Stop by VA counselor to let him know to change my paperwork. Am told that since it's after drop/add, I'm on the hook for half of the loving class. Despite it being the head of the Business school's fault. Can't go curse him out, he teaches one of my classes. So 19 credit hours and unemployment here I come.

I thought I was done swallowing weenie when I got my DD214. It continues.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TheChad posted:

This question isn't about educational benefits, but I don't know where to post it:

Has anyone here tried the VA home loan program? Here's my situation, currently my wife and I are living with my mother in law, and she owns the house but has about 35k left to pay off. Right now she is paying about 400 a month and 80% of that is interest. I was thinking that it might be beneficial if I received a home loan at a fixed 2.5% interest (that's what I think it is) purchased the house from her and then she would basically continue paying off the house by paying me 'rent' for that amount. End result is the house is paid off quicker due to low interest rates and we have a house to fall back on or resell some day.

Anyone see any glaring problems with this plan?

I concur with Vasudus. Save it for your big dream house.

Also, since the lender might not think to ask you, 30 percent disability (if you have it) and over means they waive the origination fees. That's a couple of grand right there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you're registering for summer term, apparently 7 hours is considered full time. Noice.

(Not that it matters to me, I'm taking 18)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

HeyEng posted:

So there's no proper "Separating out of the Military" thread but I do have a question that many of you probably had to deal with.

What the hell did you all do to prepare for going from full-time job to college student financially? Are some of you working now or living off of savings?

Bought a house last April, fixed up all the priority (for us, anyway) stuff I could while I still had a job making good money- new appliances, etc. I saved up about ten grand while I knew I could. Got laid off while I was taking classes part-time, decided to go full-time while I could.

GI Bill covers my mortgage, power bill and water/sewage/trash. My wife works for the government, her salary covers the rest of expenses plus living expenses. We cut our lifestyle back pretty drastically- no vacations, minimum of eating out or impulse spending. Both our cars are paid for. At that point, we actually still make enough to come out a little ahead month to month; we've only had to dip into savings twice for emergencies.

That's how I can take 20 credit hours and not work. Still, I doubt I can do this for two years until I finish my bachelor's; at some point I'll likely have to go back to work to replenish savings. A lot of what works for me is just unique to my living situation.

(I'm not using my unemployment benefits, either)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

From what I understand, 7 hours is considered fulltime in the summer for BAH purposes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have no problem with the idea of a CC but the one I attend is so ridiculously unprofessional that I can't even watch the show Community anymore

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

9 credits as a graduate student is considered full time.

Someone at South Alabama told me they wouldn't let grad students take more than a two class load. Even with the higher workload in 500 courses, that seems kind of hosed up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I feel late on the FAFSA train. I just submitted my 2013 one and am waiting for my drat school to see it in their system. I have a feeling last year's income will screw me from getting anything.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

I doubt actually working with patients is feasible due to HIPAA aside from pushing wheelchairs or hospital beds(which I have seen work study guys do) from/to the ER. However, there are definitely clinical positions available.

We're covered by HIPAA too; privacy and security seem to be the twin obsessions in this office. Not surprising, considering the sensitive subject matter (PTSD and sexual assault counseling). Granted, we only deal with names and phone numbers, but that's still enough to be considered a privacy violation if the wrong person found out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm sure they'd appreciate the knowledge in general office terms but if they'd actually make a work-study do that then :psyduck:

You're supposed to answer phones and poo poo

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

at what grade does a de facto or de rigeur requirement for a Bachelor's pop up? My wife just took a new job with a promotion to GS-7, and I've warned her she will cap out quickly if she doesn't get her paper.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Thanks- it should be much better than her current one (she's still in the Corps of Engineers, just different departments now), where she was a GS-6 doing department-head level budget planning (wayyyyy out of her job description). I hope she comes home less stressed out, anyway.

With her it's more of an issue of where do you make the transition from an executive assistant (secretary, let's be honest) to an executive? She's close to as high as she can get in that kind of career field; eventually she'll have to take a leadership position. That's where I think the lack of degree will really hose her.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have no idea how far she is. She always told me she was a few credits away from an associate's before she had to drop out to take care of her mom, but I'm not sure how true that is (not saying she's lying, just that she might be wrong).

She's civvie, so no GI Bill, but there's enough scholarship money in this state for vet's dependents that we can take a healthy chunk out of any tuition. And that's if her job wouldn't pay for the classes outright (they've already said they'll cover any stuff that applies to her current job). I'm not sure, past that, what kind of tuition benefits they offer. If it's anything like TSP, it's probably even better than active duty :haw:

I hate to say it, but probably how it will work is she'll continue to back-burner it until I get my degree in 2 years or so and go back to work. Then she'll be out of excuses.

e- Good for your friend. The only way I'd ever go near a shipyard again is in a khakis/white shirt job.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

It's a total desk job. One if his tasks last month was to write an SOP on welding even though he's never welded in his life or even touched a welder. It's pretty funny.

lol we went through engineers like Kleenex at our yard. The owner would literally hire them fresh out of school, then when they wanted a raise after a year or so he fired them.

My favorite one came onto the ship, looked at where we were working, and asked me "How do you think you're going to run it?" I sketched it out for him on the hull with soapstone, he clapped me on the back and said "Looks good. I'll draw up the blueprints." and I never saw him again in my life

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mentally geared up for 18 semester hours, first day of school. Nobody in business center's parking lot. Security guard says "poo poo we don't even register until Wednesday. School starts next Monday."

Felt kinda dumb, but it's like I just got another week of summer. Came home, fried up a deer steak, smoked a bowl.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You guys are seriously taking the joy out of my C in pre-algebra

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah but then you have to live in Ohio

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gently caress I barely broke even on textbooks this semester

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

What about grant money?

Wife makes too much.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh. GS-7 salary plus my VA money means we're doing decent. Not nearly as nice as when I was doing fulltime millwright work + VA money and her salary, but decent.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So when you're about to run out of 33 and are going to make the switch to Voc Rehab, what's the process like? Interviews, etc?

All I have to go by is our certifying official, and he's a proven dipshit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So blue-collar millwright/pipefitter getting his Business degree shouldn't be a problem, right?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

GD, don't wait until you're down to your last day on GI Bill to switch over, it's much better to get in on it as early as possible. It's not like the benefits stack. Eating into CH33 time also eats into CH31 time, you just get an extra year of benefits.

See this is where I'm confused. I was always told exhaust CH33 then you get a year of VR&E; if I go CH31 now I'd be covered under the same length of time that I would have been with 3yrs CH33 + 1 yr CH31?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Roulette table mofucka

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

Tuesdays and Thursdays off. :smugdog:

I was gonna have that dammit. M/W night class for Business Stats II got cancelled so I had to take an 11 AM Tues/Thurs class.

poo poo, those were gonna be my hunting days.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I could see why it wasn't a priority, because almost every state that doesn't completely suck has some kind of provision for it. I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that, but I'm not surprised that California would be the place to have it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I went overdrawn thanks to it and a few poorly timed minor emergencies.

Thank god my bank just sends it over to my credit card when that happens.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Appointment tomorrow with Voc Rehab counselor to start the process. Anything I should know?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

The VA is pretty much way, way behind. Even for their standards. My school hasn't been paid a single penny yet. As a result, when everyone's pell grant came in they went and kept it until the VA coughs up the dough.

Thankfully, my loans are about 11k over my tuition cost so at least I get some money.

Yeah they pretty well hosed my finances this month

My father laughed and joked about how whiny the 47 percent are (he's in on the joke, at 70 and retired military he's more tied to gubmint handouts than I am)

e- also leaving for the VRE interview so here we gooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Never did it for me, and I'm taking 18 hours.

By the way, the VR&E appointment was pretty painless. Watched a 15 minute video, talked with a lady from the state employment office who helps disabled folks get jobs, talked with the guy from the state employment office who places vets. Took a Wonderlic test (12 minutes, 50 questions), then a personality survey.

The personalized interview was pretty normal; told him my background, degree plan, and he agreed with it. Gotta drop my transcript and cert. of eligibility off later, and that's that for now.

• Locked thread