Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How do I find out if the college I want to go to when I get out takes credits from a school that I'm going to in Korea?

And if they don't take the credits (thankfully it's just been one class, but I wanted to get into school and only had a day to sign up so I was short on time to research) how hard is it to get my TA to transfer to another school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do you get the monthly BAH stipend in addition to disability benefits?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Vasudus posted:

Yes, they're two different programs.

Sorry for my utter ignorance but it doesn't matter if its benefits from the army OR the VA?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The only reason I want to go to college is to creep out freshman by being the 30 year old at dorm parties.

gently caress that class.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Obummercare

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'll be getting out in three weeks. THREE loving WEEKS HAHAHAHA SCRUBS STILL GONNA BE IN HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now that that's out of the way. What specific documents should I get together starting now, if any, to expedite my GI bill coming in? Also what's the delay on it? As it stands I would be able to get in for the summer semester back home (Tampa, FL) and I don't feel like waiting a day and forever for the payments, specifically the BAH so I can have more breathing room with my own place.

Could I even call the VA back home ahead of time to at least start the process? Keep in mind I'm completely clueless about the process.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Now am I specifically dealing with my schools VA? Are they the ones that handle the GI Bill disbursements?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
In what situations is the MGIB better than post 9/11?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I did the vonapp about four weeks ago. Is there a way to check the status on it? On ebenefits it says that I'm not eligible for GI Bill benefits.

e: acutally i just double checked and i submitted the application for it on the vonapp website on april 11.

Cole fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 19, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Are there any special grants I should look for? Or do I just apply for financial aid and take what I get?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

App13 posted:

I'm currently receiving 80% of my GI bill after being admin sep'd for a "medical condition not resulting in a disability".

Does that seem right? Everyone in the vet office at my school says they have never heard of that and that I should have disability/100% gi bill/things like that.

Is there someone who I can talk to about this stuff? I've tried enrolling in the VA when I got out 8 months ago, and didn't hear anything for a few months, then found out they never received my paperwork. (Which is a long way of saying that I don't have any contacts at the VA at the moment.)

Overall I'm getting a little ticked at everything and am having trouble affording the counseling, meds etc that I need. Maybe someone can point me to a more appropriate thread on that subject...

I know when I was at Fort Gordon they turned down guys who were getting medically retired at 90-100% disability rate who were 9 years in and wanted to transfer their benefits to a relative.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Just curious is the GI bill bah paid for the month that is coming or the month that has passed?

For example I got my first bah yesterday. Is that for July or August? Should I expect another one in a couple days?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Painsaw posted:

Welp, got my first round of missing money. Voc rehab BAH hasn't showed up, and the ebenefits website isn't even showing anything for august (usually shows first of month payments around a week early).

Played a bunch of phone tag only to get a few 'everythings good on our end, dunno whats up'.

Derp

Are you with usaa? They are having issues with their website and no transactions from today will show up.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Didn't they just change it so that the gi bill gives in state tuition prices regardless of residency?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MancXVI posted:

How long should it take from the start of the semester for the VA to certify my enrollment?

Depends on your certifying official at your school and when they decide to send your paperwork off. After that the VA will tell you two weeks or so, but mine was certified a week after it got sent off.

If you turn the paperwork in to your VA rep and nothing has happened, ask your VA rep first to make sure it's been sent off before you call the VA and deal with that nonsense.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
VA payments for the GI bill can be kinda screwy. I get $1671 BAH in my area. This last pay out instead of $1671, I got $600, $312, $500 all within a couple days of each other. . They have nothing identifying exactly what they are on the website and only say Post 9/11 GI Bill. I called and two were BAH and one was my book stipend.

I was out of school for a week in August between semesters and it cost me a good chunk of my Gi Bill. So don't think you're just automatically going to get the full BAH every month.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I took a subsidized loan and used it for the lower interest rate to pay off my debts. So basically my $3k loan was just debt consolidation for me. Best financial decision I've made in a long time. Went from something like 20% interest (among credit cards, mostly) to less than 5%. I paid it off early with no penalty and saved myself a shitload in the long run.m

I guess my point is loans for college are stupid unless you have a specific plan for them like I did. Or you're just flat rear end broke.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
CTC sucks. Stay away from it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

not caring here posted:

Are they still spouting that Warrior U thing? Because if they are, don't loving believe it. Yeah, the CG said you get Thursday afternoon off every week to go to school, even if you're in the field! translates to LOL gently caress your college, human being, we got a week of cold weather training.

Camp Casey was actually pretty good about this. But I was so disgruntled that I would usually just go to sleep.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So basically take all the classes you've already taken at a different school, just don't turn in any transcripts and start again as a freshman.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm sure you could get away with that if you have any certifying official worth a poo poo.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So am I right to be planning to get paid significantly less since I'm only going to school for the first 11 days of December? Or do I get the full month?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

zombie303 posted:

Much less.

how is that usually calculated? is there already a set rate? or is it like 11 out of 31 days so i get 11/31 (a little over 33%) of my money.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kawasaki Nun posted:

But those days get saved up for usage later!

you mean as far as total GI Bill eligibility time right?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If I run out of GI Bill before or during grad school, will voc rehab pick it up? I believe someone said if I can show that there is growth in the field I'm going for that they will, but I could be misremembering.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

HClChicken posted:

Remind me please, shows I am certified for the upcoming semester and I got an email last november from VA. When does it show the book/ other payment info and if it's not on the ebenefits website how do I find it.

My gi bill payments show up on ebenefits anywhere from a few days before to the day of payment. The one I get tomorrow (usaa) has been on ebenefits since last week.

Your book stipend will be paid out per semester hour (something like $45 per semester hour or some poo poo). No idea how that works. It kind of randomly showed up lumped in with my regular gi bill for me without paying any attention.

Oh and every payment is listed separate, but theres nothing on ebenefits to tell you which is which.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I did the math and I think I got shorted on my final pay but I was so loving happy to be out I just considered it a 'this is the last* stupid thing I have to put up with' tax and got really baked.

*it wasn't the last

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

blue squares posted:

So in 2014 I had no income besides the GI Bill, which is tax free. So, I made no money in the IRS's eyes. Will I still get anything "back?" Like, is there some kind of credit that applies even if you make nothing?

Also, do a lot of you apply for scholarships? I have thought about it, but I also feel guilty about it because I don't need the money, and I'd hate to take it away from someone who does.

How are your pool orgies going

That out of the way, no, you won't get a tax return because you paid no taxes. Your income also isn't taxable. Try to claim it and you'll end up owing the government for no reason (if you can even file).

Apply for every scholarship and grant on the planet that you possibly can. Seriously. It's free loving money. What's the worst that can happen? You don't get anything? Well that means you didn't lose anything but the time it took to apply. It takes like a few hours of paperwork and running around for the possibility ofseveral thousands of dollars or more. You'll be stupid not to try.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

You should be eligible for the Manti Te'o tax credit

gently caress

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What scholarships should I be looking out for? I'm applying for all the scholarships that my school offers, and the Tillman Scholarship as well in February. Any other specific ones? Most of the ones I have found online are dumb poo poo like "enter to win!" or raising points and cashing them in for a chance and other stupid poo poo. I would rather apply for merit based scholarships rather than luck based.

E: Oh and BAH for zip code 22802 in 2014 is $1218, but 2015 it is listed as $1380. Will I ever see that increase? And when? As of now I believe I am only getting $1218, but I haven't received my first full BAH payment (and won't until March 1st), so I may already be getting the $1380. This is going off of the DTMO.gov website.

Cole fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 12, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MancXVI posted:

I'm thinking about applying for it but I don't feel like I'd be hooah enough.

Its free money. I'll be as hooah as Audie fuckin Murphy for a few grand.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

second best sponge posted:

I should really know this by now, however I still have to ask:

Should I have gotten a full bah payment today for being full time, full month of classes? Or was the partial bah payment I got with my book stipend all I get until March?

Post 9/11 100% GI bill eligible.

Did you start school on January 1st? Or start your semester in late December?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm 27 and my classmates all think I'm in my early 20s.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I am actually going to need my book stipend this year since most of my money is going towards my new townhouse and furnishing it since I literally own nothing but a bed and a television, and all of my books cost over $300.

Semester starts Sept 1st. When does it come in?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Victor Vermis posted:

Stipend hits around 1-2 weeks before classes start in my experience.

Just snag a cheap/free couch and a desk from someone you know who isn't a dirty poor bedbug-haver. You don't really need anything else if you're just a college student. There are a lot of less expensive ways try and impress women GiP.

I'm 27. Just because I am in college doesn't mean I don't want to live like an adult. That's why I asked about bed frames earlier.

Next time I move, I want to require a moving van instead of being able to fit all of my stuff in the back of a corolla.

#finallyanadult #bigboydreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
:siren: IF YOU HAVE 30%+ DISABILITY RATING AND YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS AND REQUIRES HEALTH INSURANCE, YOU COULD BE LEAVING A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE:siren:

My school offers health insurance. You can only turn it down if you have your own health insurance. The GI Bill pays for the health insurance. I also have a disability rating of 30%+, so I have tricare. My school accepts tricare, which means I basically have two health insurance plans.

The school's health insurance for the fall semester is around $1400. After the GI Bill paid my tuition -- which included the health insurance premium -- I signed a waiver declining the school's insurance plan and received a $1400 refund in my student account, which meant $1400 in my pocket.

The GI Bill has hidden money everywhere. 

• Locked thread