Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Exactly. I had to take a semester off while under the 9/11 bill, and I was able to start right up again. If you go to the same school you might not even have to refile your paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Correct, it's a simple form (VA Form 22-1995 found here: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-22-1995-are.pdf) and that's your only real obstacle outside of credits being accepted.

I had a look at their website, jesus gently caress is that place veteran unfriendly. 1k/1k is pretty loving awful.

I had a friend go there, he had an awesome time down there, but yeah it's very unfriendly to Vets. It's fun around Mardis Gras, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Vasudus rants are my favorite thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

elite_garbage_man posted:

get your butt down there and talk to somebody on Monday.

realtalk 99% of the time this is the only way to get poo poo done in a timely manner

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

Just so you know, when you transfer to a four year school they probably wont take ANY of those military credits.

You'd be surprised. I got 40 credits for Basic and medic school.

I know that's an exception rather than the rule, but it never hurts to get the ACE transcript sent.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wounded Warrior seems to be the favorite. I'm partial to Fisher House as well- they provide housing for families who have loved ones at Walter Reed/BAMC/other military hospitals.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Is that if you're doing all online classes only? Because I took a bunch of online courses when I was in and still got the full amount.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hey, don't know if this was posted in here or not, but if not it should be in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pjd1QEA0c

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

blue squares posted:

So in 2014 I had no income besides the GI Bill, which is tax free. So, I made no money in the IRS's eyes. Will I still get anything "back?" Like, is there some kind of credit that applies even if you make nothing?

You should be eligible for the Manti Te'o tax credit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CaptainStag posted:

This has probably been touched on in this huge thread and I think I already know the answer, but is going to school part-time practical at all under the Montgomery or Post 9/11? Or would I just be pissing money away?

I'd like to just attend full-time but I have my reasons for wanting to work full-time once I get out this fall, and I doubt I could juggle both.

The Post 9/11 is meant to pay for you so you can go to school. That being said I worked full time and did full time school, and was able to balance it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

does my time in A-school and C-school count towards my GI bill?

I believe so- It should start the moment you swear in at MEPS, iirc

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ckwiesr posted:

Quick question.

I'm a reservist that has 100% post 9/11 and I'm getting my stuff together to go back to school. If I do annual tour or any sort of orders that gives me BAH while enrolled will that mess with the BAH I get from going to school?

No. It does not work like disability, where you have to pay back money if you're currently drilling.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's your BAH for NYC?

code:
GRADE	WITH DEPENDENTS	WITHOUT DEPENDENTS
E01	    $3,474      $2,610
E02	    $3,474	$2,610
E03	    $3,474	$2,610
E04	    $3,474	$2,610
E05	    $3,759	$2,997
E06         $3,780	$3,228
E07         $3,897 	$3,492
E08	    $4,029	$3,765
E09	    $4,212	$3,771
W01	    $3,783	$3,366
W02	    $3,951	$3,762
W03	    $4,113	$3,774
W04	    $4,251	$3,807
W05	    $4,413	$3,927
O01E	    $3,924	$3,759
O02E	    $4,089	$3,768
O03E	    $4,275	$3,780
O01	    $3,762	$3,189
O02	    $3,777	$3,663
O03	    $4,104	$3,777
O04	    $4,476	$3,912
O05	    $4,740	$3,987
O06	    $4,788	$4,113
O07  	    $4,836	$4,194
Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/bah-rates-state/new-york/#ixzz3fR9K7knM

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sacrilage posted:

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

seriously please tell more about this because im not actively doing this but info like this is priceless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I have a medical question: If I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years, would it be respectable or dis-respectful to compare my PTSD to that of a shell-shocked war veteran's?

Honestly it doesn't matter, just do what you do man.

• Locked thread