Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dik Hz posted:

The only bird of prey big enough to take down a full size chicken is a great horned owl. Maybe a full grown peregrine could get one, but I doubt it. Bantams are another story. I'd be much more concerned about alley cats than birds of prey for bantams, though.

My coworker lives in S Seattle area and swears that he's had hawks take 3 of his full grown chickens. He said he had them out in the afternoon for a bit of run around time, he would turn around and tend to his garden and then here a squak and then just a few feathers left over.

Raccoons are his biggest problem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Let Them Eat Cake posted:

How to pluck a chicken? Put up a kill cone, a scalding pot (something to hold boiling water), and make one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGZMoENjcU&feature=related

You can take a bird from clucking and making GBS threads to cleaned and in the oven in under ten minutes even if you're a newbie. A whizbang plucker is the difference between keeping a few roasters and being able to scale up to hundreds if you have the land.

Tig: I'm north of Seattle. Predators up here from most to least problems are: racoons (if you see one shoot it!), neighborhood dogs (gently caress people that don't keep them secure), hawks, golden eagles, and owls. Depending on your area you may have predators of the two legged variety, so always lock your coops at night!

edit: this video shows kill cones and more plucker hilarity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OMO73yFZ4s&feature=related

I'm in North Seattle too. Part of the reason I haven't gotten chickens is I would need a tight loving coop because people around my neighborhood must feed the raccoons. They are bold as poo poo and will walk right up to me during the day when i'm gardening. 20 blocks north of northgate mall.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Amethyste posted:

Oh yes :) Wonderful no?

Seattle raised its limit from 3 backyard hens to 8 this week!!! Viva La Revolucion!! Hopefully more major cities and towns as well as smaller areas will get off this "Chickens are farm animals!!" kick and see that having your own personal flock is a time honored tradition.

Go Seattle!! /cheer

I live in Seattle and while my backyard is sloped and it's pretty much impossible to put a coop back there, my neighbors have a flat yard. I was driving home last week and saw they got a coop kit and have at least 3 chickens in there! I squee'd and said in a few weeks ill go by and let them know that ill buy any extra eggs off them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Alterian posted:

3 might not be enough for extra eggs to sell. You should just try to find a way to get your own.

Even so, I figured it would be a less creepy way of letting them know I support them in their endeavors and they don't have to worry about complaints from us.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GenericOverusedName posted:

Depends on how well you like your neighbors, but maybe you could convince them to share your yards and chickenwork and chickens?

Maybe. I've never really met them. They've only been there for a few months and since we don't have yard work (natural northwest yard with ferns and trees yo) we don't meet the neighbors much.

Oh and I was staring through their fence and they have FOUR chickens! 3 buff and 1 black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love this thread - I do not have chickens of my own but I enjoy reading about them and many of my neighbors have them.

I was on a walk today down a street I had not been down recently and noticed 2 big chickens pecking in someones back yard and I exclaimed to my husband "CHICK ANS CHICK CHICK CHIKS!!!" and the came to my side of the fence to come look at me lol

I am excited for another year of Chickcam :3: