Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
We've got a dozen chickens, five barred Plymouth rocks, three Easter eggers and four silkies, one of which I found out yesterday was actually a rooster and another one of which I'm suspicious of but have not yet confirmed. Anyway, today I found a dead rat in the garden and disposed of it but there were some maggots left in the dirt where the rat had been, the silkies went nuts for them. Then the biggest rock hen in the flock came up and tried to get some and the smallest of the silkies went berserk and attacked the big rock. It was hilarious, you could tell that the big rock hen was absolutely shocked at what was going on and she gave the silkies a wide berth until they finished their bugs.

Funny chicken politics aside I'm kind of concerned about how this might affect the health of the chickens. I know they eat bugs all the time and a lot of the bugs aren't exactly sanitary but what if the rat had died from eating d-con at a neighbor's house, is it possible this could have an effect on the birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for that, honestly I doubt it'll be a problem but I'll keep a closer eye on them for the next couple of weeks. On another subject the relationship my dog has with the chickens is hilarious, when they're resting in the yard he'll bed down next to them like they're his babies and when they're wandering around he likes to try to herd them back into their run. He's a great help in getting them to go back in at the end of the day.