Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zombie Zero posted:

Im guessing you didnt name them? Ive always heard that once you name something its no longer an animal, it becomes a pet.

Eventually I want chickens or quail (I'd love it if we were somewhere in the states next and the landlords didn't care). I'm considering rabbits or smaller livestock once we're somewhere permanently. I totally intend to name all of them. When I've had to feed live things to my snakes I've named them and didn't have a problem. I can't imagine I'd have much of a problem slaughtering anything I named for my own purposes instead of my snakes'.

How hard is it to get the drat feathers off? I've watched a few butchering videos, but most of the ones I see just strip the skin off with the feathers whole and quarter the animal out. Are plucking or the boiling method really my only options if I want a whole carcass with skin on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

its exodus dawg posted:

You could always adopt them out rather than kill them.

If the person is eating them or feeding them to pets or something, I don't really see a big problem with it. There's not many places or people that are going to keep hens that eat their own eggs just for fun pets until the end of their natural life.

Chicken wire question: Does it have to be chicken wire/fencing? Or can it be the really small-spaced mesh? The stuff that's solid metal, not the crap that's like flexible and plastic-y.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hey, I'm going to move this thread to Animal Farm. It is a good and healthy thread and as such will be a good addition to AF, which we are trying to open up more to non-pet animal threads (hence the name change).

eta: OP doesn't have PM's, so I'll leave this here for another day before I move it. Just a heads up.

:psyduck: But.. why, though? We already had a chicken keeping thread. And a chicken pictures thread. And bird crazies. I'm not bitching or anything, I'm just kinda confused.

Question about ordering chicks in the mail. D'you think it's better to get them from the closest facility possible? Or does it really matter if the chicks are overnighted to you anyway?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How do you guys feel about black australorps for a beginner?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:allears: The city we're scheduled to move to next has a 6 hen limit inside the city limits, with a $35 annual permit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is it that noticeably different to raise 25 as opposed to say, 8 or so? Clearly there'd be more food and more room necessary, but is it a -ton- more work?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aww, look at that chicken protecting it's next meal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jeez dude, just get the GL Wyandottes so I don't have to mix breeds when/if I get chickens. :3:

A lot of the order sites seem okay with letting you mix breeds and stuff when you order them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I was wondering the same exact thing. When (if) I get chickens, I decided I want a rainbow of different colors. I was thinking about a Rhode Island Red, a White Leghorn, a Welsummer, a Plymouth Rock and a couple Easter Eggers. I've been researching this, and the consensus is that it's bad to have a flock of one breed and one that is different because that one might be picked on, but if all of them are different, then the chickens have a broader vision of what it means to be a chicken.

Is this what other people observe?

Is this literally suggesting chickens are racist/breedist? Because that could be one really cool study to read.

I was thinking about 3 australorps and either 3 buff orpingtons or 3 easter eggers. You're allowed 6 in the city where we're moving, with permit, and most sites require you order 3-5. I figure if I split the flock down the middle like that, at least everyone will have someone to hang out with. If for some reason they don't just mix of their own accord.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

VS seemed kinda pissed off about running chickam last year, and she mentioned that she wouldn't be doing it because of internet connectivity, I thought?

E: Like didn't she say something about people being pissed off if she didn't show them "loving chickens" or something? I dunno if she was joking around or not. :ohdear: She seemed pretty irritated to me.

E2: I can't find it now. Maybe I imagined it? I did find her saying that she may not be able to do chickam due to internet stuff in 2011's chickam thread though.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 17, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: That's awesome!

The name is awesome too, but chickam is the best.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Uh, there are chickens meandering about my road. I herded them off once, but they keep walking out there and I live on a curve. I'm kind of worried they're going to get smashed. Is there any way to try to figure out where they came from?

E: And now they've disappeared. I hope they went home. :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 26, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think you should get easter eggers. :colbert:

E: Or speckled sussexes so I can live vicariously through you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Easter eggers aren't a breed specifically so they kinda end up all over the board, but I think they come in everything from 4-8 pounds. But um, I've only barely looked into chickens so don't quote me on that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

We've settled on letting our roommate attempt to build the coop himself but if it sucks we'll just buy one from somewhere.

The feed store nearest us doesn't have chicks and told us that the closest one that does is ~35 miles away. We called that one and they only have them sometimes (not now). Closest person selling chicks on craigslist is ~120 miles away. So it looks like we'll probably end up just going with hatchery chicks.

We do already have a heat lamp that should be suited to keeping the chicks warm enough for the first few weeks but will also be heating the room up warmer than we keep the rest of the house, since otherwise I think they would be cold in spite of the heat lamp.

Most feed stores should be getting chicks in less than two weeks because of Easter (because that's always a brilliant buy :downs: ) and spring and all that good stuff. Or they always used to when I was young, anyway. Why not spend a couple weeks building the coop and getting everything together then do the hatchery thing if they still don't have them "locally"?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Personally I think she should buy two more incubators. And add some peahens and quail to her flock.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: Oh my gosh, good job Roo! And out of those two they are going to be silliest silky looking chickens with giant feathery feet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zaran posted:

I hope said pitbulls are no longer around, if I was you I would be tempted to throw them some poison over the fence if they did that to my flock. (If I had one :()

Also get a Silkie or two, said fluffballs need more lovin!

You're going to poison dogs for eating chicken? It's not the dogs' faults. It's the owners.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zaran posted:

Yea, agreed, not thinking straight today at all my bad there.

Hey, don't worry. I got upset at the puppy when she found a chick in our yard, picked it up in her mouth and ran away with it a bit ago but it pretty much ended up just being me making her go inside while I checked the chick over and made sure it was alright.

I do hope the pits are better secured though. They're stubborn pups. The one behind us practically came over the 10 foot wall to try to get at the chickens that were wandering around after the dust storm last week.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

I'd like a Sebright, personally.

Get them, please. So you can tell us all about how grumpy they are and I won't desperately wish for them when we settle down. :3: They're so pretty.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

Holy crap! I think the Sebright is the breed for me! It's like a pen-and-ink drawing has come to life! Amazing!

Photo of a Sebright below:

Feh. Silver Sebrights aren't as awesome as Golden Sebrights:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

What color was the hen? Could it be a Jersey Giant? I know they come in two colors: black and white, and they are the biggest chickens in the world. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/BJG/BRKBJGs.html there you can see pictures of JGs.

Edit: Pfft, sebrights? Get one of these chickens, it's the chicken version of keeper! http://youtu.be/JUhc5YZZjTY

Man, I love Roo as much as the next chicken thread poster, but the idea of feathers on feet icks me out for some reason. There may not be more poo poo on them or anything but there's just something about it. And keeping them clean seems harder.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Fear not, you can get the same round chicken with featherfree feet. I just saw a picture of an orpington bantam and oh gawd it's so fluffy!!!

http://www.orpingtonbantams.co.uk/pics/gl_pull5.jpg

That's not a wyandotte or a sebright mix or some sort? Those feathers are really super bold. :3: But look at that fluffy little thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I sold my car last fall

I'm not sure how long dry chicken feed lasts, but I do have to question this. How are you going to take chickens to the vet without a car? Chickens have a certain ability to make a car smell like a barnyard pretty quickly and I can't imagine Zipcar would be too happy about that. D'you have a friend with a car that'd be willing to take you for that or something?

I only really bring it up because I imagine it'd be better to sort it out now (if you haven't already) than when you actually need to take one in. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

They will be working girls

:pervert: Gonna be cluckin' on the garden corner everyday.

But v:shobon:v yeah, I was just curious about intent and stuff. I don't know a ton in general about chicken health so I don't know if there's like, flock plagues/stuff that makes their meat worthless or whatever that can be treated by a vet or not. VS or Chido or someone would have to weigh in on that. I just know a few folks have mentioned vets and chickens in the thread and thought I'd ask.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Could you make a chicken e-collar? Or ones around his feet over the booties?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Roo is one spoiled princess :mad:

I'd be willing to bet money that you could find some literal Disney Princess toddler shoes on clearance to shove his feet in.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know, if I were closer, I'd offer to come over and take a swing at your mom. What a dick.

At least you tried to help out with the goofy featherball (fluffball?). I don't suppose the supplies are supple enough that you could form something, slide it on and tape it real, real quick while he's being an angry chicken, huh?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"If a vet isn't nearby, you should probably kill it instead of trying to take care of it" doesn't really sound reasonable to me, either, though. Yeah I'm aware of what happens with using antibiotics and stuff too much but it seems like a poor attitude toward a person's pet to say "Oh, well, you aren't a vet and you can't reach a vet, better grab the axe!". :( Surely there's something better.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

There should be a distinction between pet animals and production animals. If a pet animal gets sick, you take it to a vet. If a production animal gets sick, you really should be worrying more about the implications for the herd/flock than for the individual animal. That's where people get into trouble IMO, this grey area in between. It's not a rare problem and my opinion is by no means the only "right" one, but to me, the issue is pretty clear.

Yeah, the gray area is more what concerns me. With vets saying pet chickens are just something to eat, it's hard to find a way to fix a pet up in this case. Obviously if one of my dogs is ill, I can just go to a vet. If my quails are sick ( :allears: when I have quails), it seems like you should be able to take your pets in or have a farm vet come out and take a look. I realize farm vets are usually 'large animal' vets, though.

I mean, if we're talking pets, what would you even do to find a vet? Is there an online resource for this kind of thing? I dunno if you'd have that in front of you, but hey, honestly, it seems like something that'd be out there. After all, there are pages and pages of reptile, small animal and other exotic vet referral sites.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Do you have other ideas? When I finally do get my flock going, I’m going to pretty much follow Topoisomerase’s advice. Before I grab the ax I will isolate her, do some research, try some supportive therapies that will not do harm. If that time comes, I hope I have as strong of a stomach as Chido does. But the solution may be an ax.

Isolate, research, supportive therapies, yeah, pretty much. What tokomon said. If the animal can be fixed up, why axe it? And I thought that's what Topoisomerase was saying but I guess not.

Ideally there'd be a vet, but a cursory call of the local ones here finds me a single one that "might" be able to see a sick chicken if I called ahead. This seems like a really big oversight. I realize you said you weren't taking your chickens to the vet when you get'em (how goes getting that rear end in a top hat out anyway?), but for people who do want to you'd think somebody would want them to be able to, at least in more populated areas. I'm not exactly in a little podunk town. Maybe it's because this whole "backyard chickens movement" or whatever is really just starting (in the past 5-ish years or so) to make headway? I dunno. The idea of having a pet and not being able to provide care for that pet makes me sad. :smith: That's not saying I wouldn't be able to axe a hopeless chicken or whatever, but the idea that I can't even have the option is depressing.

E: :ohdear: That was a lot of words about chickens. sorry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

DIY might be able to help out. I don't see a carpentry thread anywhere though. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Greycious posted:

I ordered my chicks. They are coming in late July. :ohdear: :swoon:

Golden Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington
and Whiterock.

I ordered extra chicks because I want to make sure I get one of each that I want, and I know sometimes you lose a chick while raising them due to whatever abnormalities/failure to thrive stuff.

I want to keep 4, two wynadottes and one oprington and one white rock.

Now to get the coop thing finished before they arrive and are ready to go outside. I've got time. Already found someone local who has a coop they could deliver!

So, you sent me geckos. In like a decade can I barter hatching eggs out of you too? Because goodness, I'm going to be living vicariously through everybody's wyandottes. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

FluffyBunnies, I ordered a silver laced wyandotte for september... do you want brahma laced chickens next year? XD

Ugh, I wish I was in a position to do it. With us moving so much, I'm not doing any livestock until we stop moving. But oh my gosh I hope someone does. I wanna see it so bad. :3: And I can't wait for all these little chicks in this thread in a couple months. It'll be almost as good as Chickam!

Greycious posted:

Also, I really really want one of these:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Golden-Sebright-Bantam-p265.aspx

It is just the most adorable statue-looking giant-eyed little chicken I've ever seen. :3:

I have to limit myself though, and I want chickens that lay normal sized eggs!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post403068424 :hf:

I have the same issue with the little sebrights. I mainly want chickens for eggs. They lay teeny tiny eggs and they just don't lay them so well. But man, they are so drat cute. Phoenix roosters, too. Er.. being roos, I mean, clearly don't lay eggs but they're a decorative breed, not a laying breed, from what I understand.

Seriously though.

Beautiful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pucklynn posted:

Has anyone here ever tried more "exotic" birds like quails? My local organic grocery was selling quail eggs and it got me thinking about whether or not that might be a viable little side-business.

Anyone have any experience?

It's perfectly viable to keep quail, though I don't know about a side business. There's a goon in TFR that has a quail as a pet and tons of hatcheries sell them. I seem to remember there being some goons that raised quail in their basement, but I can't find the thread. As for information, http://www.backwoodshome.com/ has a few articles on it if you search them up. http://www.omlet.us/guide/quails/ has sort of a 101 about them.

I don't yet have any personal experience, just a bit of reading what I can find.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Yeah she got a beak trim right after. Most of the time they keep them filed down themselves but some are special little snowflakes too lazy to peck around to wear them down.

How d'you trim them? Is it like dog claws or do you use a file or..?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: Hell, dude. I've been meaning to catch up on the chicken thread. I'm sorry about Spaghetti, Chido, even though I'm kinda late.

That one girl Roo looks like her neck is about 20 miles long. What the hell.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

So, what is up (harhar) with "Penis Land" instead of Pet Island? Seems like they only went partway with this, with only Pet Island and Goons in Platoons getting peen references. Goons with Spoons should have been changed to "Your SA Cocking forum." :flaccid:

GWS is far from flaccid though.

Nettle, I'm sorry about Lazarus too. :(

The chickens that used to roam up and down the street over here came over to visit today. All of them. They were rounding them up by the time I got out there with a camera and asked me not to take pictures. I think they're a little worried about ASPCA or something, since we had like 45 chickens everywhere across like four yards.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Put the angry, broody, ghetto hens on the phone so they can scream at the dude and threaten to come wreck up his place if you don't get your money back.

:( But in all seriousness, I'm sorry Chido. And to everybody else in the thread who's lost chickens lately.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've always heard outstanding things about Blogger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Next time the lottery gets super high you should have the chickens pick the numbers, VS.