Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Hi there poop-ranchers. We recently acquired some backyard chickens hatched and I want to share!

We started with two (Lucille Bluth and Ann Perkins) and added a third (Nadja) that was hatched from my dad's flock. He had an extra pre-fab coop kit that we are still using.

Lucille and Ann on their first day:

I have a Ring camera someone gave us and had that in the coop for the first few days to keep an eye on things. Eventually I replaced that with outdoor wireless Nest cameras (which started me down a home assistant/automation journey):

Outside of the coop I created a run area with PVC and plastic netting. Here is Nadja added to the group. She was picked on for a few days but everyone gets along now:

Recently we've started to let them roam around the yard. At first just before dusk and with close supervision:

Lately we've just let them out during the day if someone is home and they are getting more adventurous, digging dust bath holes, climbing on the patio furniture, and making GBS threads everywhere:

Today I noticed Ann digging around in our raised herb bed:

During one of my regular checks I found a little surprise:

And we have eggsign!

Next I want to establish a better run structure and look into a rainwater collection system for their water. I have a leak-detector sensor to measure their water level in one of their tanks but it needs more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I have some stuff coming today to heat our small coop as its forecast to drop to 30 F tomorrow night.

Also:

In other news all 3 of our birds are now egg laying machines!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That is terrifying!

We tried to do something similar. This started out as your standard triangle-features jack-o-lantern:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Does anyone else sometimes just stare out a window at their chickens and think:

"These are some weird, dirty rear end, goofy birds that are just constantly making GBS threads all over my stuff and loving up my mulch.

I really do enjoy watching them though.

I wonder if they pooped out another egg for me.

I should give them more worms."

Because this is what I do for at least an hour most days now.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Get you some, boy

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
One of our birds has figured out how to jump the backyard fence. She tries to jump the fence every single time we let them roam in the yard.

They are on coop arrest now and it sucks. We really want to let them roam around and explore but we can't have them escaping the backyard.

I'm looking into tunnels around the perimeter of the yard now.

Dumb rear end birds.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I also jacked it off... enjoy.

I'm here all night folks.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

freeedr posted:

Guys I know this is crazy, but I feel like I can share this with you.

…I like having pet chickens.

Is it crazy? Or is it crazy to make your own pog slammers to put on your "chicken shoes" (aka poo poo shoes)? I'm told these are called jibbitz but that name is stupid and I refuse to use it.

My wife now has a pog slammer kit:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
We did a thing yesterday. More specifically, a tunnel thing. Our hens now have a perimeter tunnel that goes around about 1/2 of our backyard fence. Now we can let them sorta range a little bit without them eating the entire garden and plant beds! Pretty pleased with how it turned out, and the ladies seem to be, too:

We'll be planting bunch of things along the edge of the fence to give them some shade, snacks and protection. We have a bunch of big hostas that we can split and transplant. Any recommendations for plants to add? Hostas, lavender, and rosemary are on the short list right now. There is some mint growing in one section already, and I hope they'll help keep it in check.

We also moved the coop/run trailer park into a shadier part of the yard. It's been getting hot here and their coop has been in the upper 80s. This is where the tunnel connects to the coop and their current setup:

And a short video. I love their waddle when they hear the worm bag:

https://i.imgur.com/5bALwu7.mp4

Next project: solar-powered PC case fans for better airflow in the coop! I have some parts but either my fans need too much power or my solar panel isn't providing enough juice.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I have some news.....our impending hatch will be live streamed!

I've got a camera hooked up to my Twitch channel here.

Nothing yet, but it's due to start any time now this weekend.
Come on streamer, do something!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Egg magic is happening on stream

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joburg posted:

This looks really great!

Depending on your grow zone you might be able to grow kale and collards over the summer. They will do better in a shady spot in the heat of summer than in direct sun. Sweet potatoes grow a ton of foliage and you can train it over the tunnel and sweet potatoes love intense sunshine. If you have room for fruit bushes or dwarf trees in the sunny part you can see what grows well in your area. I have a dwarf Mulberry, wild muscadine grapes, blackberries (very invasive) and blueberries and they love all of those. The Mulberry is everbearing and it’s already producing ripe berries this spring.

Thanks! I like the idea of something vining over the top. Appreciate the suggestions.

e: chicken for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joburg posted:

All 5 have hatched, one is fully feathered so it is probably from the White Rock rooster we had at the time these were laid. Two are still in the incubator drying off and three have graduated to the brooder.

pouring one out for the two in the incubator