Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Its sort of a pipe dream for me at the moment, but I would like to raise hens for eggs at some point in the future. About how many would you need for a dozen eggs a week? How much space would they need? How do you deal with predators (foxes, hawks, semiferal dogs, etc. )?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So I've heard a lot about chickens being stupid... how accurate is that? Any amusing anecdotes about unexpected cleverness or profound stupidity?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
We have like 3 or four different chicken threads going, it's a bit silly.

Your birds are so pretty though!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Depends on how well you like your neighbors, but maybe you could convince them to share your yards and chickenwork and chickens?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Everything is edible, it just depends on how squeamish you are :colbert:

From my understanding, fertilized eggs don't start to get all bloody and veiny and gross until they've been incubating for a few days. If you collect every day, then it shouldn't be a problem.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How long does chicken feed keep for, assuming it is kept dry? I’m thinking those big plastic storage bins with the lid. Since I’m within the city limits of Boston, I don’t have a nearby feed store. The nearest one is about 20 miles away. I sold my car last fall, and while I do have Zipcar, I would rather not have to use it every 2 weeks, since it would cost $20 each trip. Can I buy 3 months at a time? Sort of a related question, are there places online that you can order from that would be reasonably competitive with a local feed store?

I'd imagine it would depend on what it is made of, but it probably will keep for a while as long as you keep it dry and in an airtight container.

Your main concern would probably be all of other things that could get into and eat it. Rodents, bugs, all that sort of stuff. So... take the same storage precautions you would with any other pet food.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Why are their eyes so big? Is it just from being a small breed / neoteny, or is it some other thing going on?

Showy chickens :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Chido posted:

Can chickens miss a flock member? It's been almost a week since Spaghetti died, and I've noticed the chickens hang out more often near the kitchen and the garage, and go into the garage and climb on top of the cage where I kept spaghetti. I don't know if it's just a coincidence and they are looking for shade and a cool spot, or they do miss her. :(

They are social animals, so they definitely at least notice that something is different than it used to be. I don't know if chickens mourn, but they do recognize loss.