Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
Hey everybody! Awesome thread, just read it from start to finish. I have two questions I hope somebody can help me with. First, do chickens eat snails? I have quite a snail population and being able to feed the snails to the chickens would really help out in that regard.
Secondly, I have a pretty average sized yard, enclosed by 6ft concrete walls. Would it be possible to let the chickens chill in the yard on the lawn etc without running the risk of them flapping over the walls or crossing into my neighbour's property? I really don't know what chicken capabilities are in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
I'm just wondering because although my two cats are of average size, and both are too lazy to attack a pigeon let alone a chicken, there is a rogue cat from the neighbourhood that sometimes passes through my backyard, and he is huge. Like lion huge. And I wouldn't want him scaring my chickens over the walls etc.

I live in South Africa, and I do know that some of our indigenous chicken breeds like the Venda and Ovambo will easily fly high enough to roost in trees, but I was just wondering about other breeds like the leghorn.

Also, how do you teach a chicken where to roost? I know you make it pretty obvious with a coop and all but I often hear stories of chickens deciding to roost in ridiculous places from from where the owner intended.

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
Ok thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. How much damage are 2 or 3 chickens likely to do to a lawn of 25m square if they are left to roam free every day? Sorry I have no idea what that is in feet. Apologies also for what might be inane questions, I just keep thinking of new ones... :/

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010

A flying piece of posted:

I'm picking up a small coop (converted rabbit hutch) and 2 hens tonight... pictures to follow later. The girlfriend isn't very happy about this. She'll come around when she sees the chickens.

Good luck bro, be sure to post any experiences that you have as a first time chicken owner for my sake! :) I'm starting construction on a coop tomorrow for 3 chickens, looking into getting hold of a local chicken breed, the Koekoek:

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
I'm a headstrong retard, and in my excitement to get chickens, I've built a coop without properly researching what is apparently required. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can so you guys can get a clearer picture but basically what I've got so far is a coop with two nesting boxes (I'm only getting 2 chickens) and ample space on the inside, but no perches (which is apparently what chickens sleep on?) Have I completely messed up? :aaa: