Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.
Chicken thread!

I maintained a backyard flock for years at my old house. I moved last year though, and my situation is no longer ideal for keeping chickens :( I also have a husky with a strong prey drive towards birds, and at my last house it wasn't an issue; the chicken coop was far away from the fenced in portion of the yard for my husky. However, at my new house, there's only a single contiguous fenced perimeter around the house, so there's no safe way I can think of having coop + run and also keeping them safe from my dog.

I hope to be able to keep them again in the future!

In the meantime, I'll contribute to the thread with a few pics of my last flock! I mainly have a soft spot for Silkies :3: Silkies are a "fancy"/show breed. They're bantams, black-fleshed, have an extra toe, blue earlobes, vaulted skulls (no skullcap, giving them their crest), and their feathers lack barbs or quills, and as such they feel like very soft cats. They're pretty much only for the purpose of being pets. They're remarkably docile, and some of the broodiest chickens; silkie ROOSTERS will brood on occasion! I kept quite a few breeds though, these were just the pictures I could find right now.

Note: I know chicken wire is bad now, but that pen was constructed years ago, and later reinforced once I knew better :(

Partridge, white silkies

Splash silkie

White silkie

Barred Rock rooster joins the mix!

Also had a few Barred Rock roosters.
(muddy comb!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU