Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was told to bring our new acquisition in here:

A student at the university got caught keeping a pet in the dorms. My wife wanted quail ever since we moved into this house, since we're not allowed to have chickens (there was no avoiding living in an HOA here), and happened to see it, so now we're gonna have quail. The cage is just temporary until the hutch she ordered arrives since the kid needed to get rid of her immediately. We'll also be acquiring more so she has some friends (and we have more eggs).

We're still in the process of naming, for some reason birds are tougher than cats.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently her name is Tammy after Rick and Morty.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tammy's doing so well. She really likes just being near people. The cats are doing fine aside from Iska who I will never trust around a bird ever. Rexie's just curious, as pictured here.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Tammy now has a place to live outside!

She's uncertain and wary, but given that she was living in a cardboard box in a dorm room her whole life, she's handling the transition well. She's just bouncing around her little yard checking everything out, enjoying the sand bath tub and the bedding inside the house.

The eggs are being picked up by my wife right now, USPS was smart enough to not put that box on a truck in the FL heat and called us to pick it up instead. Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Tammy is loving her new palace.

She's looking really healthy, her feathers are much better and whiter (she loves her sand bath tub), except for the very top of her head. I'm not sure why it seems like she's losing feathers up there? I've owned a parrot who plucked his feathers, but I've never seen it on the top of the head.

But it doesn't seem to bother her, the skin looks fine, and she's a happy little quail now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://i.imgur.com/bYNbf6L.mp4

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sorry to hear about that, that sucks :(

We did drop that down further. So far everyone seems to be thriving and they're all getting along (Peanut Hamper might be a little bit of a dick, but there's plenty of food and water access so they can't bully the others away, everyone's getting plenty).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't believe how fast these grow. Here's little Zapdos with their food coloring mohawk :3:

Didn't want to leave my hand, they're getting very used to humans.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Poor Petal. I don't handle animal death well since being a vet tech for a few years, so this quail adventure's gonna be rough but hopefully also help me work through it.

Right now we're still in the "omg the chicks are so tiny and cute" phase.

This one's Peanut Hamper. I was there when they hatched and they seem to have bonded to me. They always come running and just snuggle down into my hand when I pick them up :3: (the others are eager to escape and attempt to fly even though their little wing feathers are just starting to come in).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Gwaihir the Windlord is the easiest chick to pick out of the bunch.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Zapdos appears to be evolving.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We have liftoff!

https://i.imgur.com/NDyBWTf.mp4

Side note: how do you force uploads to various social media to use the original video quality? I feel like everyone else's videos are in like 172435336k while mine always get compressed to look like I filmed them with a potato.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Gonna bring Tammy inside later this evening where she'll remain until this surprise hurricane passes.

The chicks continue to grow at an alarming rate. They went apeshit earlier for the sand bath when Dienes gave it to them, I think she took video. I want to get video next time she gives them sprouts and worms, they absolutely lose their poo poo.

Here's the full roster of our covey:

Gerald Pancakes

Gwaihir the Windlord

Jeri

Korben Dallas

Kylo Hen

Lucky

Muad'Dib

Peanut Hamper

Quinlan

Volly

Wumbus

Zapdos

They're still a little too small for the leg bands so I wanted to get good images and good IDs before they lost what's left of their food coloring spots and baby patterns.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

one of my fat bird sons just poo poo on me so i've decided to evict them from my home. it was so warm. how do i move past this massive disrespect

The one thing I don't miss about when I had macaws: that uniquely warm and wet sensation of bird poo poo landing on your back and sliding down.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We finally coordinated to deliver worms to the brooder when I was available to get some video of the ensuing chaos:

https://i.imgur.com/U2YZoEG.mp4

And then a handful of sprouts:

https://i.imgur.com/IUrRmsa.mp4

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

:glomp: thank you, friend. happily, three nights have passed and the four survivors are doing great :h:

this is the sultan, whose favourite thing to do is climb up on top of the nest, panic because they can't see the other chicks, and scream! they also spent some time yesterday sitting on my shoulder like a parrot.

They look like they know their name and agree with it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

all the chicks are still alive :neckbeard:

:toot:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kylo Hen has become rather addicted to attention from humans:

https://i.imgur.com/Lrk8ZO5.mp4

Any time we open the brooder up they come running and jump at us until picked up. They also sound like a guinea pig when being petted.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Family photo. Kylo Hen had to be a show-off and stretch their newly functional wings.

Slightly better family photo for everyone else:

Tammy's been getting cuddlier with me. She likes to wedge herself into the crook of my elbow and poof up and make happy cooing noises.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Half the covey has graduated to the hutch outside as of last night (all the ones that had their head/face feathers come in). Initially it was just going to be Tammy going back outside after storm cleanup was complete, but we didn't want her to be alone. First it was just Zapdos...

But as soon as we closed them in, Zapdos started crying....loudly. We quick scooped up Windlord and all of the Pharaohs and added them and Zapdos settled down nicely.

Yes, their coop has a light on a timer. And a solar-powered bluetooth speaker :D

They're tentative, but as of this morning they're going in and out of the coop independently, clearly eating and drinking without issue.

This was not intentional, but I caught all 6 chicks in that image. You can see Windlord and Gerald Pancakes inside, and Peanut Hamper's peeking around the stairs.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's a mathematically perfect name!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://i.imgur.com/739VDZd.mp4

Korben Dallas and Quinlan (the two cinnamon(?) ones) graduated today and joined the crew outside.

Tammy has definitely begun to chill out. I think having to come inside for almost a week was rough, combined with suddenly having to share here home with these dang kids. She seems to be accepting them, though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Borbs are just borbing. It got down to about 50 last night (the FL equivalent of like -10 based on how everyone here acts), but they were fine.

That said, they still get a nightly hot water bottle.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The final batch has graduated to the hutch so all 13 quail are now together outside (and we get our craft room back).

Weirdly, Wumbus (the smallest and youngest, in the back) is the one who adapted fastest and is loving it. The others are still in the conservative exploration phase.

We did notice a weird thing: We put these 4 in the coop and the vererans fled outside for a second. When they came back in one at a time, most of them did a weird posturing thing? They'd open up their wings really wide and hold it for a second. Then they'd flap and jump around for a few seconds....then just went up to each of the noobs in turn and went back out.

No aggression, they all already knew each other from the weeks in the brooder and they're getting along great. That was just such a weird behavior, especially after more than one of the birds did it one after the other, like it was a ritual.

Birds are weird.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

your quail are delightful, you did an amazing job :3: this was the first brood you ever hatched?

Yup :D

My wife had been asking to have quail for a while (since I need to fight the HOA to allow chickens) but we had to get the rest of the house in shape first. Then last month a student at the university where she teachers got caught with a pet in the dorms: Tammy (not named Tammy, though). So a snap decision was made to take her and then to get a bunch of eggs.

To be clear: this is like 90% her, I'm just good at taking pictures of animals and posting them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They definitely look happy.

I went out and they were all in a big pile....except for Tammy who had to be in the wicker house by herself.

Then one stretched all the way out on their belly with both legs sticking back, I've never seen a bird do this:

It's weird, as soon as we go out there, they are like, "Oh poo poo, I forgot we can go OUTSIDE!" Then there's a mass exodus and they start playing with their toys and foraging and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/7TS7Uk0.mp4

Quail life is good. Everyone is getting along and they're enjoying all the enrichment materials in their yard....the video had sound but imgur chopped it, there's classical music playing on their bluetooth speaker.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

That flopped-over-legs-out pose is one of content and relaxation. That is a safe and happy quail.

Oh good :kimchi:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our quail kind of went viral on imgur over the weekend:

https://imgur.com/gallery/6yftymS

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
More quail!

Here's Peanut Hamper taking a bath (sound but not super important).

https://i.imgur.com/nq9HxiS.mp4

And here's Volly having some F E E L I N G S they needed to share I guess (sound on).

https://i.imgur.com/hTaALBu.mp4

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh poo poo. Dienes put in sod in the hutch today and they fuckin love it. As she's doing that....we got our first crow!

Not sure who it is, but it happened again later when I was out there. It came from out in their yard and at the time only 3 were out there, so it has to be one of those. I thought I saw Zapdos moving weirdly, so my money is on Zapdos being our boy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
IT'S A BOY :toot:

Korben Dallas is our first official rooster. He helpfully decided to crow right in front of me when no other quail were around just now. Snapped this picture immediately before anyone moved to be sure of my identification.

UPDATE: WE HAVE TWO ROOSTERS NOW! Wumbus crowed right in front of us.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 5, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Time for another first!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Heeeeeeeeeer'e's Wumbus!

https://i.imgur.com/n4kWoWd.mp4

If you haven't heard a quail crowing before, you're welcome. (sound, obviously)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I wish we could have chickens. Look at all those magnificent feathery bastards.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kylo Hen is the chillest bird. She'll sit in my hands like this forever just making happy quail sounds.

Meanwhile, Korben Dallas is gonna be in the recovery cage inside for a bit. He has a bit of a wound on his head.

Might have been fighting Wumbus, but might have been self-inflicted, I saw him pecking into the wire in the door of the hutch earlier which seemed odd.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

That does sound more like accidental injury from being a fence-pecking dingus.

Are you going to try to keep all of your roosters?

We have 13 total quail and 3 are roosters, so we should be fine with that ratio (just shy of 5:1).

If there were problems with aggression, we'd move the boys to their own separate hutch...just trying to avoid having to buy and find a spot to set up a second hutch if at all possible.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We just put Korben back out because his eye looked way better overnight.....and he immediately mounted Muad'Dib :doh:

Muad'Dib seems into it though? She started grabbing him back and they were doing a weird-rear end dance. Unless I mis-sexed Muad'Dib and we have gay quail? I know nothing of quail mating habits so this is all really weird to watch.

The other boys didn't bully him, though. Wumbus and Volly were both right there and Volly did some crowing but just went and borbed between some of the plants, Wumbus went inside to get out of the rain.

I'll just have to continue monitoring, and/or find a way to install a camera out there to record when we're not around.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

your voyage of discovery is a beautiful thing to see. the quail hold many secrets. exactly how stupid can an animal be? watch and learn

Turns out Muad'Dib and Zapdos are both roosters. Sooooooooooo I think we have two gay quail, he and Korben are inseparable.

That's now too many roosters, so I might be shopping for a separate enclosure for the boys.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this video will stay muted. i've heard enough quail crowing to last a lifetime

my boys keep mounting each other - does anybody have any advice as to how to get them to stop? i'm lending them to a fellow birblover in january for a week so they can breed with some of her females but i'd like to calm as much of their hormonal aggression as possible before then

I wish I knew. Korben and Muad'dib seem to have eyes only for each other. I can't tell if they're gay quail (I imagine that's possible, like penguins) or they're just dumb.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Go Moose!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
How are the quail handling the sudden cold here in Florida?

The same way I would: just borb up within easy reach of the food.

Either the cold has the same affect on them as a cold shower does on humans or else the initial onset of quail puberty has subsided, because there seems to be a lot less chasing and....mounting. Our egg production has also gone back up since I replaced the light I hit with the lawnmower.

Oh and Gerald Pancakes is a boy :sigh:. We're considering doing another hatching since we're at 7 girls 6 boys so no wonder the egg production is so slow. This time Dienes had the idea to just keep them numbered until they're old enough to sex so I'm less averse to eating the boys (or at least selling them off or something). We could also just get adult, sexed quail from her guy in Orlando to ensure we only get girls, but I do notice a distinct difference between the quail we hatched and the ones where we bought chicks to replace Wumbus the First....they're not as used to being handled by us, and they're noticeably smaller.

Either way I really need to map out the sprinklers today to see what kind of space I have to work with to get a second hutch to separate the roosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I sure hope so, because a bunch of my idiots are standing out in the rain today.