Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

WrathofKhan posted:

A bit of a chicken update. A guy I know from BYC had a bunch of cockerels that he didn't want to process, most of them were barnyard mixes of cuckoo marans and something else, but there was also a very pretty Barnvelder in there. He was really pretty, and they're supposed to be quiet and docile, so we are going to try having a roo again. I hope he's quiet and doesn't crow all day long. Today I saw him giving treats to some of the younger girls, so I think that is a good sign. We've named him Malcolm. :3

Don’t Barnvelder’s lay fairly dark brown eggs? Not quite as dark as Marans, but still pretty dark. Do you still have an Easter Egger? You should try hatching her eggs and see if you get an Olive Egger out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

I ordered my chicks. They are coming in late July. :ohdear: :swoon:

Golden Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington
and Whiterock.

I ordered extra chicks because I want to make sure I get one of each that I want, and I know sometimes you lose a chick while raising them due to whatever abnormalities/failure to thrive stuff.

I want to keep 4, two wynadottes and one oprington and one white rock.

Now to get the coop thing finished before they arrive and are ready to go outside. I've got time. Already found someone local who has a coop they could deliver!

Awesome! Mine are coming second week of August. Take lots of pictures.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Imagine a king walking regally through his castles courtyard,long flowing cape dragging behind and surrounded by his minions and whatnot. Now imagine his minions ate really bad chipotle covered mutton chop and all the toilets are out of order so they just take a dump wherever they happen to be standing. What you have is a king dragging a cape covered in turds over more turds.

It sounds so romantic when you put it that way. I’m sold.

I have been thinking about going the chicken tractor route instead of cutting all kinds of holes in my shed, knocking out windows, and attaching runs. I was thinking about something like this:

Is something like that adequate for winter? Or would this be their home for 9 months and I will need to put them in my shed during the depths of winter, maybe about mid December to beginning of March? If I put them in my shed I can give them plenty of room, but they won’t have access to the outside.

The other concern is their water freezing. I am thinking about getting this. If I could keep them in the tractor, I suppose there would be nothing preventing me from using an outdoor rated extension cord.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Feed-and-Water-Supplies/Electric-Water-Heater-Base-p481.aspx

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

Edit: I forgot to ask, what chickens are you getting again, Zeta?

I'm getting Barred Plymouth Rocks (yeah Massachusetts!), Welsummers, Acondas, and Easter Eggers. I picked these breeds for cold tolerance, efficiency laying eggs, and diverse egg color.

Funny how I am worried about cold tolerance. It is about 96 degrees and tomorrow will be hotter.

It gets colder in Wichita but when it does get cold there it is probably drier. Our winters tend to be windy, wet, often snowy, but not usually bitter cold.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Pucklynn posted:

Has anyone here ever tried more "exotic" birds like quails? My local organic grocery was selling quail eggs and it got me thinking about whether or not that might be a viable little side-business.

Anyone have any experience?

I don’t know anything about quail. I’m barely knowledgeable about chickens, and that is all book knowledge, not the hands on knowledge that others have. But I will put on my BFC hat here. Also I grew up on a dairy farm.

First, you should do it, but you shouldn’t jump into it. Do you have experience growing quail on your own? If not, get some and see if you enjoy doing it. That is the most important thing. There is no aspect of farming that is lucrative. Well :420: maybe. And it is not always fun, but if you don’t find it rewarding on some level, then there a thousand easier things you can do that will make more money. Next, there is a wide gulf between being able to produce food on a small scale and then being able to sell this food and get a high enough price for it to justify what you put into it. Someone who buys it is going to have different concerns. They need their suppliers to produce enough product to make it worth dealing with, and produce that product consistently. Also they want to make sure no one will get sick. A grocery store, even a small organic one will want to deal with a limited number of suppliers that are stable.

I don’t have the exact formula, and you will need to study how others do it and learn best practices. But it might look something like this: First, you get a few birds and see if you like to do it and if you are good at it. If you are, then you get more birds and start selling a few eggs on the side to like minded people who appreciate your quality and local nature of their food. Word of mouth and facebook and they tell their friends about you. You reinvest the money you get into increasing the size of your flock and improving your facilities and learn what you need to be official and legit and you start selling at farmers markets. If the demand is there, then you expand more and start talking to your local natural food stores. Maybe you keep expanding from there.

What you don’t do is to take a huge plunge and get a loan with the idea that you are going to hit a home run, and you don’t make big decisions by back of the envelope calculations knowing that a dozen sell for $5.00 and if you sell 20 dozen a day, and you need 300 birds to do that and you have the room and you can feed them for $25 a day and gently caress, that is a lot of profit!

So go slow, don’t borrow money, keep track of your expenses, and good luck. If this is something you are serious about, you are welcome to start a thread in BFC if you have questions about the management/financial/tax implications of this.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Standard Brahmas for Chido! I could only lure 2 out because a flock of tweety birds was sitting in a tree and OH GOD IT MIGHT BE A HAWK! So the rest were busy cackling at imagined danger.

Delicious watermelon.

Theres a whole melon sitting there but someone might steal it so I better eat a chunk as big as my head.And of course the other hen chases her for it because there must be something special about that particular chunk.

Vito enjoys melons too! Also jerking his head around right when I try to take pictures.

Please never stop posting pics.

I wanted to quote your production chickens, not to detract from the super cute silkies and the fantastically different other breeds, but because I think all of your birds look amazingly happy and even the ones that are common breeds that you might not be showing still hold themselves with dignity and majesty. If in my next life I am born a chicken, I hope I get to live with you.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I’m running ideas through my head on coop design, and will go with the chicken tractor concept with their coop being a box on top of the run. I’ve seen people talk about “poop boards” where they put a flat board under the perch and because a significant percentage of the poop falls on that, it keeps the remainder of the coop cleaner. What would happen if I just didn’t have a floor, or a wire floor immediately under their perch? It seems like wire floors are not recommended for the entire coop because it’s bad for their feet, but I don’t see the harm in having a solid floor for 90% of their coop but leaving a small part open. It should even help with ventilation.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious,

As you can tell, I am learning along with you, but you might find this article interesting. It was written by a guy in Southern Ontario who does not put himself in the category of "super cold" and is therefore adding more ventilation to his coop, even in the winter.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-coop-ventilation-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

WrathofKhan posted:

Zeta Taskforce: The only problem with that is that you'd still need a way of cleaning up the poop that ended up falling through the wire. Just leaving it there would get really stinky and breed flies like crazy. Cleaning off a poop board isn't that bad, it takes me about five minutes to do it, I use a cheap rear end whisk broom and dust pan, and a putty knife, for scraping any stuck on poo.

Greycious: I think that would make a really sweet coop. Go for it!

Sorry for the bad MS Paint drawing, but I was thinking something like this. I am thinking of a tractor that would have a coop portion with no more than 3 feet of headroom that I would access by hinged doors along the side. The coop would be partially above the run. I would be moving it around so I imagine I would get away with not having huge piles of poo poo build up. I could also get the old bedding out with a hoe and could collect it with a garbage can and then add it to my compost pile.

Also my roof isn't levitating, but I was thinking holes along the top below the roof eaves that would allow air to come in and precipitation to stay out.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I want to offer my condolences as well. The world would be an amazing place if all of us were as kind and gentle as you are.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Bantaras posted:

I've been lurking on this thread a while and thought i might show off the coop we built a few months ago. I found a picture on the web and went from there. I found out later there's actually a company that makes these and you can order kits. O well, mine was cheaper!

That looks awesome. What are the dimensions and how many birds do you have? I need to start building something soon and keep going back and forth between having a chicken tractor and blocking off a part of a side shed I have. Right now I think I will split it down the middle and block off part of the garage and build a run that detaches and can become a tractor for the warm months of the year.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Ceridwen posted:

Here's a cock:

That's Short Tail about a month ago, at 16 weeks. He shaping up to be a pretty roo. It's impossible to get a picture of him alone because he and the Easter Egger pullet I gave them spend almost all their time together even now (they've been living out at the farm since they were 8 weeks old). He's starting to romance the other ladies though.

And here's another egg:

This one was from Lucille. And we got confirmation that the first egg was from Maeby, since she laid another that look just the same as the first one about 2 hours after Lucille laid her egg. Two down, two to go.

They grow up so fast. It seems like just yesterday you were posting cute pics of them in their box. That is the most intense blue I have ever seen in a chicken egg. It looks like a Tiffany’s box. That said, it seems like everything is uncommonly blue except your hand which is sort of hot pink. What color is your egg similar to? Is it like a robin egg?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

I ordered mine through mypetchicken.com

Customer service was pretty awesome. Chicks arrived healthy and all alive and wonderful.

My only issue is their shipping costs...I paid for 2-day shipping on their website. However, they were sent USPS express which is overnight (which all live chick orders under 15 birds is sent)

What was stopping me from choosing priority and saving a bunch of $$? Also, I've shipped live animals through USPS before (reptiles) and I know it doesn't cost as much as I paid to ship overnight from one state over...so that has me all kinds of confused.

Maybe live chicks cost more.

I'm getting mine from there too. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them. I decided to order 16 which ended up being practically the same price as ordering 8. I figured I could sell a few extras, plus my luck I would get a few roos. Is this how chicken math starts?

I agree shipping is sort of steep, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt. New born baby chicks probably are more delicate and depend on each other for warmth. Reptiles being cold blooded just move slower if they get cold.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

^^^I hear you, but I think I should get away with it. MPC is in Connecticut and the post office considers New England to be one zone. Most regular first class mail sent anywhere in New England to anywhere else in New England almost always arrives the next day.

Chido posted:

Yep. I said at one point that 3 chickens was the limit. Then we got Roostroyer. Then we caught Dust. THEN we bought Spaghetti and Flake at the feed store... to yet then again we caught and kept Turkey and tissue... and I ordered 4 more large breed chicks from MPC. We're gonna have 12 chickens in total by the end of the year most likely @_@.

I promise that I will sell the ones I don’t want.

….unless someone knows someone in Boston with an extra Olive Egger or Lavender Orpington, I would soooo trade.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

:swoon: This is just too adorable

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but do silkies lay well?

I think it varies, they can lay good when they are laying, but they are very broody so I would think not very consistently. But they make excellent mothers. I'm trying to connect with other people in the area who have chickens and one woman said that anytime there is a pile of eggs, her silkie gets excited and immediately tries to sit on them.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

Cute little girls with cute baby chicks!

My little cheepers are growing so fast, I will try to get some more pictures soon.

There are too many layers of cuteness to count. :3:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

My chicks are being shipped today! I’m so excited and nervous. I’m going to set up my brooder tonight when I get home. They will be in my outdoor shed eventually, but I’m thinking it is better for the first couple weeks to set it up in my basement because the temperature will be more or less stable and I won’t be constantly needing to raise and lower the heat lamp with every change in temperature.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chickens arrived today! What am I getting myself into?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

12_String posted:

The chick with the adorable eyes is an Americaunas, commonly called Easteregger because they lay blue or green eggs.

I'm glad you know because I can't begin to tell them apart. I was looking at pics of baby chicks and trying to guess. I have 4 each of Barred Plymouth Rock, Aconda, Welsummer, and Easter Eggers. One thing I didn't realize until seeing them first hand was how much they move and how fast they can run .

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

jenelle posted:

Actually both breeds can have that pattern. The cute chick with eyeliner and puffy cheeks in the last pic is probably an easter egger, which come in lots of colors and patterns but the cheeks are the real giveaway. The two chicks by the waterer in the first picture look like Welsummers to me. They seem to have more 'defined' markings and a longer stripe of brown eyeliner than the EE's do. I have one of each and it was a bit hard to tell them apart when once they started feathering out. Zeta you may want to use this website to guess what they will look like as adults: http://www.plumjam.com/poultry/breeds/ee-colors.cfm

I also have good news - my girls laid their first egg today!

Congrats on the egg! I'm going to check that site out and spend more time this weekend with them. I think you are right about the Welsummer. They have the dark thick triangle mohawk thing going on. The aconda are the cream colored with the dark patches.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

More pics. They grow so fast, I took these last week and I can't believe how much they have grown even from then.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Inveigle posted:

LOL! Chickpile! One of the cutest things ever! I love how they have made a pile but some have stretched out flat to get comfortable. :3:

I waited so long with the camera to get a somewhat still chickpile. They would all be settling down and then one of them decided to readjust and that woke up the two who were using her as a pillow. They got all set again until another one walked by and decided they wanted to be at the bottom of the pile so she plowed her way in.

Not sure about the Welsummer at top. She must have had too much to drink because she was passed out flat on her face.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have a flock of 36 birds, 29 black sex link hens, 6 brown layer hens, and 1 penedesenca rooster. I've seen the rooster doing his job but the eggs I've collected from the brown hens (the sex link are a few weeks shy of laying age) don't seem to be fertilized.

I want the brown hens to eventually go broody so I can get more adorable little fuzzballs. Can I collect eggs for candling and replace the fertilized ones back into the nest box to encourage broodiness?

Is there a better method than candling to check eggs to see if they are fertilized?

Below is a file photograph of His August Majesty, The King of the Coop, Lord of the Chicken Yard, and Master of Hens being attended to by his adoring harem:

36 birds and you want more? High production breeds besides. I'm curious, do you really like eggs, or are you planning on selling them?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Raw_Beef posted:

We're unsure if where we're going to end up living will even have the yard space available to keep hens, and trying to rent and telling landlords you want to keep chickens is a good way to get denyed right away.

Its possible we could ninja-chicken, but as others have said in the thread, its a horrible feeling to have to worry that some neighbor or landlord might find out and land you with $$/day/chicken type fees.

Rent from me! I own a 2 family, really close to public transport.

I hear you completely though. Their legality is somewhat questionable in Boston. Farm and auxiliary animals are not allowed, but they do carve out exceptions for people raising them for shows, but the official exemptions are hard to get. Most people here get their neighbors on board and keep quiet about it.

I thought about it for a long time before I took the plunge but if I was still renting there is absolutely no way I would do it.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Little Miss RKO posted:

Man, I really wish Chicago winters weren't so snowy! Having chickens would be a blast, and I'd love to be able to go outside whenever I want some nuggets or eggs. :(

I think your problem is the chickens would be a lot tougher than you are. Seriously it is a certain measure of responsibility and if you do it you can't be in love with just the idea of. having chickens.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Finally finished the coop over Labor Day. I portioned part of the shed off. It is sort of L shaped with main part being 5 feet by 10 feet, and the other part coming out another 4 feet by 3 feet. I wanted to have that shape so they could have windows on 2 sides, not just one. I still need to build the nesting boxes, roosts, and the run. The coop is big enough that I'm going to have nesting boxes on the inside. I have a six inch area I will access through a (yet unbuilt) door so I will be able to have access to the eggs without disturbing the chickens.

It's time for a new feeder.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

Zeta Taskforce - looks like a great set up. Your chickens are so cute. Do you know what breeds you have? Any roosters?

I want a really colorful egg basket, so I have 3 Welsummers, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 4 Acondas, and 4 Easter Eggers. I used to have 4 of each, but until last week they were still in my basement, and I was having work done to my stairs going down there. I don't know why contractors bring dogs with them everywhere, but he did, and the dog heard chirping and managed to eat two of them before they could stop him.

I don't know if I have an roosters. I ordered all females, but that isn't done with 100% accuracy. My goal is to wait another month, and see what happens, get rid of the roosters, and sell the rest to get down to 2 of each breed. All my breeds are at least average to good layers, it would be reasonable to get 30 eggs a week, and that should be more than enough for me, my boyfriend, my next door neighbors who have done so much for me over the last few years, and still have enough to barter for trips to the feed store.

On second thought, that is a lot of people. I might need to keep all 14 of them. :3:

Chido, how is your eye?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

I woke up about half an hour ago to let :black 101" Roo and the henhoes out, and noticed my eye is not swollen anymore. It's a bit sensitive to the light and there is some redness, but I don't really feel any pain or anything atm, and the feeling of having something stuck in my eye has lessened. I'm debating whether to still go to the doctor today or wait one more day, since it seems to be healing well on its own. As dumb as it sounds, I don't like doctors :ohdear: so I really don't wanna see one unless I think my eye is getting worse :(.

I say this because I care, but you are as hard headed as my dad. See a doctor. They will either look at your eye and decide it's fine, or they will look at it and then do something to make sure it will feel better, heal faster, and make sure there is no damage.

Dad had a urinary track infection for a week, and he kept thinking it was getting better until he started vomiting and mom ordered him to go to the emergency room. Turns out it got so bad his kidneys had stopped working. Don't be like my dad.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

ZETA TASKFORCE - I would hope those idiots made some type of restitution for your loss. What kind of people bring animals without asking permission? IDIOTS! That makes me so angry.

Just call me Zeta. We are all friends here. :)

The fact is I'm not really upset. The guy is a friend of a friend, he does quality work at a fair price, he shows up when he says he will. I was talking with other friends and co-workers and they said that contractors have weird bonds with their dogs. It's not like having 2 week old chickens in the basement is a normal thing, and I didn't think to tell him ahead of time.

Plus they cost about $4.00 each, I bought more than I need, and in a way it was a relief it was instant because I had just leaned boards up against each other and I was afraid 2 of them got out and were wandering around the basement hungry and scared.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

More pictures!

This is what happens to an Easter Egger in 40 days. She still has the dreamiest eyes.

Barred Plymouth Rocks

Welsummer

Aconda with the white Easter Egger

My goal was to have 2 of each breed, but all 4 of the Easter Eggers look so different from each other I don't think I can let any of them go. I might have to have a flock of 10.

When will I know if I have any roosters? No one is acting any different or growing any combs, except for the Acondas and a lesser extent the BPR, and all of them are growing at the same rate. Could I have lucked out and gotten all girls?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

ZETA TASKFORCE I thought hens also have combs and wattles? Your chicks/pullets are so adorable.

I think so. All 4 of the ancona are growing combs at the same rate and amount, I think it might be part of the breed they get combs earlier.

Chido, I cracked up hearing about wild poultry landing on your doorstep. Word must have gotten out that you are a really good chicken mom :)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Sorry to hear the Chido. I was wondering how things were turning out but I was afraid to ask. I would also ask for a full refund, especially since it sounds like their error. They can’t undo the mistake, but they should at least make you whole financially. I personally had good luck with MPC and I think they are a good company, so I think this is an exception, but when the exception happens to you, it is still painful.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

So is there any reason that raising 2-3 would not be do-able or practical? I don't have a giant back yard.

Three should be entirely practical. Even 2 would be doable, but if one dies the one remaining would be really lonely. Three would be barely more room than two. How much space do you have?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

Very little. The coups posted here would take up most of the open space which is why I'm really not sure if it's even worth considering. Plus the zoning might just not be there.

The usual guideline is 10 sq foot per bird for the run and 4 sq feet per bird for the coop. More is better, but somewhat less isn't going to matter too much. That said, chickens at best have an odor and at worst smell pretty bad. Also they poop A LOT so it helps if you have a garden or some place to use it.

You can post pics, but if space it that tight, it might not work too well. If it is marginal but you still want to try, you can get bantams.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

You can use this breed selector tool, or of course you can watch Tim's videos and see what is the prettiest. (In my opinion the Sebrights)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sicilian Buttercups are awesome little birds, a friend of mine has one who lives as a housechicken, named Dixie:

Over the years Dixie's fancy headgear has gotten more and more elaborate.

A few years back Dixie suddenly decided that she was a crowing hen. With spurs.

My friend sent the picture in to Jones soda and Dixie made the root beer label.

But she's still a cuddler, despite her fame. :)

That is way too cute. But I thought house chickens needed to wear diapers. Is this not the case, or did she take them off for the camera and put them back on after?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I just realized there is a breed, the Croad Langshan, that lays purple eggs. Aren't they pretty? :allears:

It looks like they are almost impossible to find in the US though.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Yesterday at work I noticed an apple that someone threw away after taking 3 bites sitting on top of the trash. Just below that I saw a half eaten Lean Cuisine creamy noodle thing. In the fridge there were two soggy English muffins because some someone’s juice spilled. On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy am I for sneaking in and bringing all that home and making some girls very happy?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Velvet Sparrow posted:

For the benefit of people living outside the US, I thought I'd share one of our lesser-known holidays...

The annual Torture Of The Pumpkins!

First, introduce your Halloween jack-o-lanterns to a flock of suspicious chickens.

Your big, tough rooster will immediately run away screaming and hide in the coop for the next 10 minutes.

Hens, being more practical, approach cautiously...after all, it MIGHT be food!

Sooner or later, you just know that someone is gonna stick their head in one of the pumpkins...

...and Rose wins.

Not to be outdone, others quickly follow suit.

Zipper, with Bloop watching in confusion.

Pompadour is content with pecking out The Thing's eyes.

Gloria, the Brinkotter, goes at this 'eating' thing hammer & tongs while CM watches.

Sora and Pompadour are a bit concerned...

...and Pomps makes use of The Thing's eyeholes again to watch her.

Bloop does, too.

As does Burger. Gloria was in there a long time.

After a while it got to be like some kind of weird 'stick-your-noggin-in-a-gourd' club.

It's hard to tell if the chicken is wearing the pumpkin, or the pumpkin is wearing a chicken. Sora, looking like a Christmas hat.

WILSON!! I'M SORRY, WILSON!!!

Chickens are so very predictably weird. :keke:

What percentage of the pumpkin do they end up eating?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

VS that must be so difficult, they are very long lived chickens. I just watched the video on Ustream of Boots telling Bloop who is boss, that was so adorable. You truly take great care of your chickens, something that I hope to aspire to one day. My cat is 18 and acting like it's close to the end. My other cat lived to be 20 so I am feeling robbed, but it is old for a cat so the vet says.

For my flock, do you think one chick per breed would work or should I get two of each breed. I'm thinking 4 to 6 hens. I would like a variety of breeds and egg colors.

Your expert opinion please, thank you!

There would be no problems about getting one of each breed, (unless you get day old chicks and you are unlucky about the one from the breed you really wanted being a roo). I'm not an expert, but I would aim for all of them to be around the same size and not mix breeds that are especially aggressive (like Rhode Island Reds) with ones that are especially docile (Favorelles or Polish). If unsure, err on the side of more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Customer Service posted:

I have a question about when it would be safe to banish my chicks to the garage.

I have four of them, a little over 2 weeks old now. I currently have them in a very secure cat-proof bin inside. It's about 2x3' so they're starting to look restless.

The last batch I kept in a larger pen in the garage, but that was during the summer when it was in the 80's in there normally. It's been getting down into the 30's lately. I have a heat lamp and all but I worry about things like it breaking in the middle of the night. How old should they be so I know they'll be okay?

Here's a pic of when I got them :) Mostly different varieties of Wyandottes. They're additions to my parent's flock since we lost a few to predators (they have a secure run now though so hopefully that won't happen again!)

How cold do your winters normally get? I don’t know what you should do because while chickens can acclimate to very cold weather, acclimate is the key word. The usual advice is you can lower the temp by 5 degrees per week. If they are 2 weeks old they would still need temps at least in the low 80’s. In a couple weeks they would be able to take ambient room temperature, but it’s a big jump from that to 30’s. Is there a way you can regulate the temperature so they are slowly subject to temps in the 60’s, 50’s then 40’s, etc?

Mine were shipped on August 8th and when I brought them outside in September they were fully feathered and it was still mild and were outside constantly as our days got shorter and colder, and right now at the crack of dawn they are outside in the run even if there was a frost.