Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Beliskner posted:

You guys talking about keeping roosters...I always assumed that if you had a rooster you kept it apart from the hens most of the time? And only let him in with them when it was time to make some more chickens.

Do you just eat the fertilized chicken eggs like regular ones? One time I cracked a store-bought egg and a freakin 1/4 inch fetus fell out with blood vessels all running through the yolk and :cry: gently caress that sneaky ninja rooster.

I guess if the egg is super fresh or refrigerated immediately you can't even tell the difference, or what?
My husband and I just had a conversation about your question last night. I don't know if it was ever answered (though the rooster one was addressed).

Most mass egg producers keep roosters away and there's no chance of fertilization of the eggs, but if there is, the eggs are safe to eat I think as long as no bacteria is there (also eggs with blood in them aren't necessarily fertilized, but could be just have retained blood from a broken blood vessel during formation of the egg).

People can tell the fertilized and non-fertilized eggs apart by candling.

Anyway, this is a cool thread, and kind of addicting to read. I guess at some point, if we ever have land we would possibly want to raise chickens. A barnyard subforum would be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

meriruka posted:

I had a young hawk kill two full size chickens by piercing their necks.
My biggest predator is other people's dogs, despite the fact I'm out in the country with hawks, owls, cats, coyotes, weasels, fox, possums, etc.
Seems that would be our problem too, including bears. I guess bears like chicken feed too.