Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Great idea. I can grab some insulation panels as well. Usually the lows for Raleigh, NC are in the 30s at the lowest. It hasn't gotten this cold since I got this flock so it hasn't been an issue before. My old flock was only 3 so they would hang out in our bathroom if it got super cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The coop now has some foam panels I can take in and out on the inside.

Why do chickens choose to molt during the coldest time of the year like a bunch of dumbdumbs?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The ceiling ones I could slide in the opening I have for venting so it fits snug. I tossed a brick of suet in their enclosure for them and they went bananas for it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What's the deal with this conspiracy going around about chicken feed causing chickens to stop laying eggs?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our resident Red Shoulder Hawk family has decided to nest in a tree about 50 feet from our coop this year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

I've never heard of these! They seem lovely!

now i want them

:ohdear:

there's a pair in my neighborhood, too. not entirely sure how to handle that beyond bird netting over the run i guess.

They've lived around our house for years and haven't messed with them. We have Robert Smith now, too. There are so many squirrels around I doubt they would run out of food.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is also about the time chickens bought at the start of covid might start slowing down their production naturally.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Action shot.

Robert Smith surveying the land.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a hawk scare today and he did a great job warning them and getting everyone under the deck. It wasn't our red shoulder family who lives in the yard. I didn't get a great look, but it had a dark gray head and maybe a white belly. I was able to get the dogs out to fully scare it away.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Went to close up the coop. Look at these idiots.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I haven't posted Ft. Clux in a while. I repurposed some old kid stuff and moved tree limbs that fell during storms.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The kids outgrew it so I thought it would be another great hawk hideaway for them.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Crossposting this from the critterquest thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCJYWXS5Qw

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Gross https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/08/food/perdue-chix-mix-launch/index.html

Chickens aren't vegetarians!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ft Clux has the hardware cloth over every square inch of it and dug down and splayed out from the base with dirt put back on it. Chicken wire isn't meant to keep chickens safe, its mean't to prevent chickens from getting to places. (I saw on one of your photos it looks like chicken wire)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We need to insulate our coop again before the temps drop next week. Shoving foam board didn't work super well because they wouldn't stop pecking it. I was thinking of getting some sort of insulating blanket to throw over it at night?

Alterian fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 12, 2024

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have the laziest rooster. He doesn't start going till 6 am.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm thinking about building a new coop. The current one is a pain to clean and I always have to deal with insulting it the few nights it gets cold. I am thinking about getting a mini storage shed to start with for it. I only have 6 hens and 1 rooster.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm looking at getting a 6 x 4 metal one. It would give me the opportunity to buy some new power tools to allow me to cut the metal so I see it as a win/win. I might look to go slighly bigger and portion off part of it as storage for chicken related things.

Edit: the other thing I was thinking of doing is getting something like this: https://www.suncast.com/bms4700.html since they just need it for sleeping and we have nest boxes and all that fun stuff built separately.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 10, 2024

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Being able to open it and hose it out is one of the major reasons I am considering it. The clean out would be super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I mean...grass can be a component of a well rounded chicken diet.