Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I raised 3 chicks from getting them at about 2-3 days old up until they were laying and it was an awesome experience. Unfortunately I had to move so I ended up giving them away on craigslist last week, though I believe they've got a good home now. It was pretty great; I learned a lot and it was fascinating watching them grow, plus extremely rewarding once I was getting daily eggs and had something to show for all of my work.

It's opened my eyes a bit and I know that I'll definitely be getting more chickens in the future once I've got a long-term living arrangement with a place to keep them. Not only that but it motivates me to start a garden and anything else that will give me fresh food from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

Our chickens absolutely love to eat snakes, lizards, and human blood. They would probably eat a mouse if they caught one.

My feed bag was getting holes chewed through it by a stupid mouse so I kept having to move it around and improvise ways to put it out of reach, up until I went out to feed the birds one day and saw the little bastard in their coop.

They didn't eat it, however they did nearly decapitate it in wonderful tiny-dinosaur fashion.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Chido posted:

they are peacocks, peafowl I think is the term. My city is next to the city of Arcadia here in California, and there is a big peacock community that roams free in the streets near the Arboretum. Apparently whoever founded the city loved peacocks, and these birds have been free roaming for 80 years or so. I don't know if these peacocks come from that group, but they are protected I think. I never see anybody try to catch them, and they've been roaming free in the streets near home for years.

They're protected, as far as I'm aware. I live near the area and have family in Arcadia so I always see the peacocks when I'm visiting for holidays. Peafowl are just a bunch of loudmouth jerks :colbert: