Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

What this thread is about :

We like vinyl records and would like to talk about them, as well as record stores, turntables, etc. There's not usually a whole lot of in-depth music discussion, but if you found a weird record go ahead and tell us about it, that's part of the fun!

We don't tend to talk much about turntablism, scratching etc. And I can't tell you much about it myself.

We often post our finds, recent additions, or our collections! Some of them are steals from garage sales! Some of them are high-ticket collectors items! Some are orange see-through vinyl of the latest hot band! Half of them are Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins or White Stripes...

We have a lot of different reasons for liking this format and show it in a lot of different ways, some of which may seem stupid to you (they do to me!). Don't be a jerk about it, we're all friends here and nobody's mind ever gets changed.

DON'T post with download codes you get from vinyl. That's very nice of you but it clutters up the thread. You can go here for that

----

Are you new to collecting vinyl? Let's anticipate some of your questions

Q: OK yeah, I just got into VINYLS a---
A: NO DON'T CALL IT THAT, EVERYBODY WILL GET UPSET! You're getting into vinyl, no "s". “Vinyl” is like “people”, or you can just call them “vinyl records” if you haven't gotten the hang of it. Or to be more specific:
LPs (Long Play) – the big 12” ones that rotate at 33rpm (with some exceptions)
7”s – They are 7 inches in diameter! Typically play at 45rpm and are either an EP or a 2-sided single. In fact they are essentially the same as
45s – physically the same as 7”s, terminology usually reserved to older stuff
78s – the oldest of the bunch, they're typically 10”s diameter and play at 78rpm (if your turntable supports it)

Q: How do I unwarp a record?
A: You can't
Q: But I saw this guide online and –
A: You can't

Q: I have this Journey album, how much is it worth?
A: As a general rule, if a lot of people bought it in its day, it's not worth much now. But you can look up how much big ticket items went for on popsike.com. Although really, if you're selling it, be reasonable and don't go for the highest amount its sold or the “record pricing guide” book.

Q: How do I clean a record?
A: This is an age old and frequently debated question. There are record cleaning kits and brushes out there, a lot of people have trusted solutions of distilled water, soap and alcohol, and some buy tubs or motorized setup dedicated to that purpose. Listen to others and experiment!

Q:What do you guys use to store records?
A: 45s lend themselves pretty well to shoeboxes.
LPs: On a small scale, today's milkcrates no longer really fit LPs, though Target etc tend to have milk-crate like bins that hold them well. Wine boxes tend to work decently well too.
On a large scale, most people all over the internet point to the Ikea Expedit. I have it, it's better than the $20 bookshelves I got from craigslist, but don't expect anything more than your standard Ikea construction. I haven't heard many instances of them collapsing, but if you don't trust them, it might be worth building some yourself.
78s: I think the best way to deal with these brittle fuckers is to buy an album (as in one of those big book-like things) of lovely 78s you don't want and stick the ones you do want in there.

Q: Do I really need to keep these paper sleeves and poo poo?
A: Honestly, if you don't care for your records you'll probably wish you did later. You can get more inner and outer sleeves from sites like bagsunlimited.com

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The HARDWARE

YOUR TURNTABLE:

Q: My turntable is like really really quiet when plugged into my shiny new logitech speakers/7.1 surround receiever.
A: Your turntable needs a preamp. Most older receivers with a “phono” input have these built in, but modern equipment rarely does. Most $30 preamps on amazon are fine

Q. There's this loud, low-pitched hum
A. This could be any number of things, but most turntables need a ground in addition to the RCA cables being plugged in. Small black wire coming out of the TT needs to meet the GND part of your receiver.

Q: ooh USB turntable! Does that mean I can make DIGITAL copies?
A: Yeah sure, but first of all, if you're listening to your music from a receiver with a line out, that line-out goes into your computer's line in and there ya go, you can rip vinyl in Audacity or the sound editor of your choice. USB Turntables MAY let you plug directly into your computer to use its speakers, foregoing the need for a receiver. I don't know, I don't have a USB turntable. Lastly, ripping vinyl means listening to the whole album, then editing it into individual tracks. That can get real tedious, most of us don't bother unless it was never issued on any other format.

BUYING A TURNTABLE:

DON'T: buy one of those Crosley (or Crosley-looking) setups with a turntable packed in with a CD player in a big wooden box. We're not being snobs, they're made on the cheap and break easily.

A note on modern players: vinyl might be on the rise, but turntables really aren't. Vintage turntables tend to feature a lot more features like autoplay switches, auto return, etc. That's not to say there aren't decent TTs out there, they just tend to be a little more complicated.

Sub $100:
Second hand. Turntables used to be the #1 format and reigned in a time when consumers really valued build quality. There are plenty of cheap turntables out there, but also plenty of great ones for cheap. There's no one model you should look out for (OK, maybe there is, but that comes later), but if you're new to all this either insist on seeing it in working order or have a good reason to believe the person (“yeah it worked last time I plugged it in” can mean 20 years ago). A lot of independent record stores sell turntables and will do this for you. They're usually simple machines and there are plenty of ways to fix them.

Mid $100-$300
If you can find a used and good condition Technics 1200 line, they're often considered the gold standard in quality and reliability and have been for a few decades now. This tends to be around the price range of finding a good used one, but that'll take some snoopin'.

If you can't find it, I'd suggest this wannabe Tech12: The Audiotechnica ATLP120. I haven't used the USB version but I use them every week at my radio station and find little reason to complain.

$300+
I won't really call it high-end because it's clearly going for a different thing than the aforementioned, but a lot of people love the Pro-Ject Debut III player, though most quickly replace the stock Ortofon cartridge.

Portable: Last I checked in on this debate, most people are split between the Vestax Handy-Trax and the Numark PT01, the latter of which is more frequently found in stores.

–----
CARTRIDGES AND STYLI

First of all, stylus = needle. Cartridge = needle + the part the stylus sits in (I'm writing this at non-science level). Headshell = the part the cartridge is screwed onto.

There are a million cartridges out there (though the guy at the garage sale might tell you you can get a new needle for cheap.... chances are it will be $20 if you can even get it separately from a new cartridge). If you'd like recommendations, there's a lot of love on this forum for

Shure M44-7
Shure M97xE
Grado Green

though by all means, branch out and figure out what you like.

----

SPEAKERS/RECEIVERS ETC

Most will agree that vintage sounds better, especially for the price, lots don't bother because of the problems getting them second hand. This is more of a topic for A/V Arena.

---

Few other quick things:

Vinyl is not necessarily better sounding than CD/Digital formats, and even then is often not perceptibly any better. We tend to like having our music on physical media and nothing beats the art of an LP.

45s may seem stupid in today's album-oriented world, but a lot of us prefer the format because of all the great artists that never cut a full-length album, as well as the low price point that lets you discover new things with little financial risk. Again, though, everybody's got their own reasons for liking it.

There really aren't many good places for second-hand records online. Keeping a wishlist on Discogs has been recommended by some in this thread. Ebay is pretty high-ticket, I haven't found a reason to use GEMM or MusicStack for Ages.

Support indie record stores and Record Fairs in your area! They often have better deals than you can find online or in big boxes, plus they're run by REAL PEOPLE.

Thrift Stores and Garage Sales are legendary spots for great finds, but don't expect that to happen without patience and persistence. Garage sales especially can mean getting up at sunrise for the best finds.

If this all seems like a hassle, it shouldn't be. Sure, there is a slightly higher learning curve than the “press play” of CDs and MP3s, but there's also a lot more depth to it. It's just music, enjoy it the way you want to.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 9, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

There are a million cartridges out there (though the guy at the garage sale might tell you you can get a new needle for cheap.... chances are it will be $20 if you can even get it separately from a new cartridge).

I think it should be mentioned that many (though not most) times the cartidge on a used turntable may be a lot better than what one can afford to buy new so spending $20 on a new needle (even an OEM one) may well be the best option. A lot of carts will take better stylyses than they originally came with. For instance, a Shure M75-6S from 1973 (I think) will take basically any Shure stylus, new or old. Whether or not a given cart is worth keeping is not something you can tell just by looking at it if you don't know your poo poo so, for beginners, I suggest asking around in places like http://vinylengine.com before going out and buying a new one.

Also, $20 is basically nothing, and you can get a new stylus (although not necessarily an 'original' one) for most types of magnetic cartridges on-line with very little effort.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 9, 2011

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

great intro farts, covered thee basics nicely.

jumping right in:

I religiously go to the local record shows, but this time I was sorta broke and had to agonize over every buy. Passed up a bunch of fun stuff (inc. a not-bad copy of The Mothers' Absolutely Free for $10), but I couldn't walk away from that Fall album & spent half my roll.

Still had lotsa fun digging the bins under the tables with the change I had left.

anyway, another record fair, another John Cale record.
one day I'll see Vintage Violence :pray:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Posting from last thread:

Tiny Faye posted:

Holy balls it's like the ice cream man but for records!!! Any Boston goons want to team up with me and book this dude?

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/emd/2428700924.html

Someone make this happen for the love of God

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
My girlfriend got me this for my birthday :D

It's not an original, but I don't really mind that as I don't even know if people sell those. Now that I have this and "Shaggs Own Thing", I need to pick up that Deerhoof 7" to "complete" my collection.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skavoovee posted:

Cherish her.

Also, what's up with that url?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My family has at least 2 really fancy linear-arm turntables chilling at home, one of which is a B&O make. A goon once described it at looking like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. In addition, my father has collected loving boxes upon boxes of records, pretty much all LPs but with some little gems thrown in, like promo copies of singles from J&R and even a couple of little squares of singles that came out of Guitar World magazines back in the day.

I've managed to add a modest collection of my own to the mix, especially given that I listen to screamo/hardcore stuff which is still actually released on vinyl as a primary format. One time I bought a 5" record at a show and only just barely stopped my dad from cramming it into the CD player in our car when I showed it to him. I guess the fact that it was translucent blue didn't tip him off to the fact that it wasn't actually a CD.

I guess the point I'm trying to make with these lovely, meandering stories it that vinyl is cool.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Inspector_71 posted:

I guess the point I'm trying to make with these lovely, meandering stories it that vinyl is cool.

This is the vinyl thread, those stories are definitely not lovely nor meandering here :unsmith:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

milk teeth posted:

great intro farts, covered thee basics nicely.

jumping right in:

anyway, another record fair, another John Cale record.

I was jealous when you picked up Fear, and I'm jealous now. Slow Dazzle is his best record, hands down. I really need to hit up a record fair, are there any notable Chicago area ones?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just go and cherish the only clickable link on that page. It is work safe, despite the name.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cherish her.

It's a fake zine name me and a friend came up with in college. I liked it so much that I went ahead and grabbed it. I mostly just use it to host pictures. Here's a bunch of other pictures of records I own http://retardedbitcheswithdicks.com/img/.

The song on the front page is a byproduct of weed and alcohol, glad you enjoyed it BigHustle.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Skavoovee posted:

The song on the front page is a byproduct of weed and alcohol, glad you enjoyed it BigHustle.

It reminded me of the hidden tracks that Skankin' Pickle used to put on their CDs, specifically 'Dates from Hell' off the Green Album.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
This thread makes having no job suck even more. Vinyl DTs are the worst :( anyone want to buy a $40 metal EP? Heh

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farts Domino posted:

45s may seem stupid in today's album-oriented world, but a lot of us prefer the format because of all the great artists that never cut a full-length album, as well as the low price point that lets you discover new things with little financial risk. Again, though, everybody's got their own reasons for liking it.

I grew up in the 70s and still have nearly every album and 45 I ever bought. Forty-fives were great if you only liked that one song by that artist. I remember paying anywhere from $.69 - $.99 for them (not unlike today's downloadable singles).

One neat thing about 45s is the "DJ played the wrong side and it became a hit" stories (see "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam and "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles and Company, for example).

I was always fascinated by the label art on 45s. Some of my favorites are Atlantic's black & red label, the Motown "map", Atco's yellow & white, and Jet Records' spotlight labels. I'm also a sucker for colored vinyl.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was always fascinated by the label art on 45s. Some of my favorites are Atlantic's black & red label, the Motown "map", Atco's yellow & white, and Jet Records' spotlight labels. I'm also a sucker for colored vinyl.
favorite 45 label, though for the rest of their releases it got much more boring:

(Fire was definitely a cool label too, and usually good enough songs to back it up)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farts Domino posted:

favorite 45 label, though for the rest of their releases it got much more boring:

(Fire was definitely a cool label too, and usually good enough songs to back it up)

That label is on the front page of this site.

This site is pretty informative, too (not the best looking site).

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Wish I had spending money, I'd go out and buy a good turntable (mine is really terrible for some reason and I'm pretty sure my records are warped) and speakers, go buy ELO Time and just listen to it over and over and over again. Oh Jeff Lynne, your vocals are as amazing as your crazy hair :allears:

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Hey Farts Domino, I think there should be a section in the OP about where to look for new records and how to shop for older ones. Most people don't have the luxury of living near a store that actually sells new releases/reissues or even used ones.

saberwulf posted:

Wish I had spending money, I'd go out and buy a good turntable (mine is really terrible for some reason and I'm pretty sure my records are warped) and speakers, go buy ELO Time and just listen to it over and over and over again. Oh Jeff Lynne, your vocals are as amazing as your crazy hair :allears:

I've been itching to buy a copy of Out of the Blue, buuuuuuuut I have to get the breaks on my car fixed so I'm not buying anything for awhile.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 9, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

Hey Farts Domino, I think there should be a section in the OP about where to look for new records and how to shop for older ones. Most people don't have the luxury of living near a store that actually sells new releases/reissues or even used ones.
I tossed in a quick note at the end (I tried to keep it all quick notes) as far as second hand goes. I wasn't sure whether new was necessary, since I thought google+band name could probably get the job done just as well as listing sites. But if you or anybody else wants to PM me a revision, you got it

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I know you guys hate people posting new releases, but I think this record looks really cool...

It's the Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73 EP, and just like the Neon Indian one, each copy was custom made so that no two look alike.

Mine looks like this:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skavoovee posted:

It's not an original, but I don't really mind that as I don't even know if people sell those. Now that I have this and "Shaggs Own Thing", I need to pick up that Deerhoof 7" to "complete" my collection.

Your girlfriend sounds like the best girlfriend. Also, as far as I know the original pressings of this were made in a pretty low quantity and most were destroyed because the Wiggin sisters' dad owed money to who ever helped them make this record. This reissue is how most people have heard it.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Surfingelectrode posted:

I know you guys hate people posting new releases, but I think this record looks really cool...

It's the Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73 EP, and just like the Neon Indian one, each copy was custom made so that no two look alike.

Mine looks like this:

Really want to get this, but I haven't seen it online/local shops yet.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I have this Technics turntable that someone gave me used, and I have issues with the cartridge not being positioned right. Sometimes through trial and error, I'll get it set up to where it sounds good, but eventually, it slips out of position and stops working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, since I know very little about turntables. Is there some trick to positioning the cartridge just right?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Thanks Panic Records!

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Anyone with a copy of the Involution LP, I would love to get ahold of one.

http://www.discogs.com/Involution-Involution/release/198205

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Thanks Panic Records!

That's pretty drat swell. Apparently I used to live with the sister of TSL's drummer.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Malaleb posted:

I have this Technics turntable that someone gave me used, and I have issues with the cartridge not being positioned right. Sometimes through trial and error, I'll get it set up to where it sounds good, but eventually, it slips out of position and stops working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, since I know very little about turntables. Is there some trick to positioning the cartridge just right?

It's either the tracking force, the height of the tone arm, or both (unless it's a technics where you can't adjust the tone arm height). Look up what make and model cartridge you have and it should tell you the proper tracking force weight to set your tone arm on. Level the tone arm height and with the counter weight, then set your tracking force to what the cartridge manufacturer told you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6PDs49u0BM

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Highlights of thrift digging over the last week, everything <= $1.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Surfingelectrode posted:

Mine looks like this:

Goddamn you, I've been looking forward to this release, but so far because it's in store pick up only I feel I've been a bit shafted, being in the UK and all I have no chance of picking it up in a store.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is the vinyl thread, those stories are definitely not lovely nor meandering here :unsmith:

Aw, shucks. Here's a picture of a record and a shotgun! They're kind of thematically linked!

I also have a Genghis Tron Cloak of Love 10" picture disc which really blew some 15 year olds minds when I got on the train with it coming home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malaleb posted:

What exactly do you mean 'slips out of position'? Would it be possible to post a photo?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I look at the pictures in this thread and its predecessor, I can't help but think I really should just start hanging some record covers up on walls. I mean, here I have these sometimes amazing works of art and I'm keeping them in boxes and tucked away in pieces of cheap Ikea furniture, in translucent plastic sleeves, where I can't properly look at them except if I take them out - and for what? What's going to be more important - that I leave behind a record collection where the covers are in immaculate condition when I die, or that I've been able to look at fuckawesome art every day at home while I'm alive?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Haven't had the time to go dollar bin hunting lately, and too poor for most other stuff at the moment, but I had to splurge this time.

A buddy of mine got his first vinyl release. Just got delivered, and it sounds sexy as hell. Never had the privilege of combining my habit with supporting a friend before, probably boosted this to my top 15 purchases just for that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I look at the pictures in this thread and its predecessor, I can't help but think I really should just start hanging some record covers up on walls. I mean, here I have these sometimes amazing works of art and I'm keeping them in boxes and tucked away in pieces of cheap Ikea furniture, in translucent plastic sleeves, where I can't properly look at them except if I take them out - and for what? What's going to be more important - that I leave behind a record collection where the covers are in immaculate condition when I die, or that I've been able to look at fuckawesome art every day at home while I'm alive?

How about the best of both worlds?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought a few of these magnetic album frames from ebay, fairly cheap but they work well. They just clip around the LP sleeve without damaging it, now I just rotate them when I feel bothered!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Isorenieratane posted:

Goddamn you, I've been looking forward to this release, but so far because it's in store pick up only I feel I've been a bit shafted, being in the UK and all I have no chance of picking it up in a store.

Rough Trade got the Neon Indian 12"... I'm sure they'll get this, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

God drat those are expensive frames. Urban Outfitters seems to have a similar product for €16.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 10, 2011

surc
Aug 17, 2004

BigHustle posted:

How about the best of both worlds?

These are what I've used for hanging covers, never had a complaint. Also, if you just want a few immediately instead of waiting for shipping, target carries them for a couple bucks more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

What exactly do you mean 'slips out of position'? Would it be possible to post a photo?

I can try to explain it better. I just skimmed over this page http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm and I think the correct term for it is the alignment of the cartridge. The headshell on my turntable has slots, and I've never actually done a proper alignment. I've just done trial and error adjusting until it works.

From the look of that guide, it seems like I need to sit down and take the time to do it properly.