Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Some of the jazz stuff looks neat but I ain’t waiting in line to eagerly pay $40-50 for a new record. These days digging through the bins for surprises is more fun.

My favorite is finding records on different visits with “Property of X” handwritten in the cover, and being like “Dang Mr. and Mrs. Joe Carter had good taste.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I've never really done RSD, is there a way to get a specific release? There are like 20 record stores in my city, do I just call them all to ask if they're going to get the Malfunkshun LP?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Some stores post pre RSD surveys to see what people are interested in and how many copies they should request, but requesting X amount of a certain LP doesn’t mean they will actually get anywhere close to that many. The best you can do if you actually need the LP in your hands ASAP (you really don’t) is find a store that is doing RSD and show up when it opens, and hope that all their shipments came.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

BigFactory posted:

Wow, an Eric Carr box set. Just what everyone wanted

I know that it's called "The Eric Carr Box Set" but it looks like it's only 2 lps

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

I know that it's called "The Eric Carr Box Set" but it looks like it's only 2 lps

I bet they were struggling to fill it up too

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Wow, an Eric Carr box set. Just what everyone wanted

I'll just pick up an old copy of Creatures Of The Night and Asylum for like $5 each, thanks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Peggotty posted:

I've never really done RSD, is there a way to get a specific release? There are like 20 record stores in my city, do I just call them all to ask if they're going to get the Malfunkshun LP?

Check store lists if they post em, otherwise you're getting in line early as poo poo and hoping for the best.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Recent pickups from Light in the Attic:

Exotic Moog is weird but a lot of fun.

And today my wife got released early from jury duty so we went to In n Out and the local record shop:

and get a load of these guys from Mazarati:

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Arcella posted:

Recent pickups from Light in the Attic:

Exotic Moog is weird but a lot of fun.

Want that Exotic Moog.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Arcella posted:

and get a load of these guys from Mazarati:

That first Mazarati album is fantastic. Especially 100MPH. A forgotten Prince classic.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If there’s something you really want, check online after the fact too. RSD at this point is like the Collectors Edition of collecting.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Cemetry Gator posted:

If there’s something you really want, check online after the fact too. RSD at this point is like the Collectors Edition of collecting.

That's what I do now. I learned that with a little patience I can get the ones I want at retail price from Discogs or eBay within a week of RSD.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not the Bluey “Dance Mode” record though. That poo poo is still going for >$200 on eBay for the RSD one.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Yeah it really can be a mixed bag. I’ve definitely been hit by FOMO and bought stuff that day that is sitting there months later at a discount, but then there are other titles I’d bite the bullet and pay over retail on eBay only for it to continue to climb.

If you have the means to, wake up early and get in line. The cool people I’ve talked with far outweigh the eBay scalper crowd.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
that Todd Rundgren album is quite good, his best since 1981 if you ask me. currently copies go for $100+ so I'll be picking that one up at least.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Took a huge crate to Prospector Records in Portland but didn't have a lot of time to shop around so now I have a bunch of credit.

Found some gems though

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
slurpin it up

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1759356456137117955?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
lmao I dropped "Truck Stop Piss Club" into my last DJ set and there was definitely at least one guy making the "what the gently caress did he just say?" face

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Looks like BBE is doing/has done represses of their "J Jazz Deep Modern Jazz from Japan" series of albums.

and a pretty neat book up on Light in the Attic, kinda wished I hadn't blown my Christmas money on other stuff there last week.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Arcella posted:

Looks like BBE is doing/has done represses of their "J Jazz Deep Modern Jazz from Japan" series of albums.

and a pretty neat book up on Light in the Attic, kinda wished I hadn't blown my Christmas money on other stuff there last week.

I need to stop looking at this thread. It's the worst (best) enabler.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
New local record store opened near me. They're called Pizza Records, and put my records in a pizza box after I bought them. Brilliant.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Fun!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

apparently Beth Gibbons has a new album coming out in a few months up for pre-order? And the CD seems to come with a signed card, so anyone into Portishead/Out of Season should get that because the promo track sounds real good

also a remastered Roseland NYC Live is due this year too

shaping up to be a great year for trip hop fans already

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

apparently Beth Gibbons has a new album coming out in a few months up for pre-order? And the CD seems to come with a signed card, so anyone into Portishead/Out of Season should get that because the promo track sounds real good

also a remastered Roseland NYC Live is due this year too

shaping up to be a great year for trip hop fans already

Nice, I'd love to see her do a collaboration with Beak>

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My newest mix of vinyl record recordings is up over @
https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-54-ft-pete-moss/

quote:

Mandrill - Drill in the Bush
Alfonso Lozo - Tropical Jazz
Sara Webster Fabio - Jujus/Alchemy of the Blues
Madlib - Theme de Crabtree
Lovage - Archie and Veronica
Say She She - Passing Time
Ginger Root - Nisemono
Puccio Roelens - Northern Lights
Project Gemini - Scorpio Waltz
V. Geminaini - Ophis le Serpentaire
John Villemonte - I am the Moonlight
Michael Chapman - Stranger in the Room
Grails - Stray Dog
Circuit Rider - Hobo and Shadow

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Frozen Peach posted:

New local record store opened near me. They're called Pizza Records, and put my records in a pizza box after I bought them. Brilliant.

I like to think someone got really high one night, ordered a pizza, accidentally put one of their records in the lid of the box and wrote down “PIZZA RECORDS!?!?” and now here we are

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I once ordered something off Discogs that came in a pizza box. Amazingly not a dent on it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wasn't that Licorice Pizza's deal too? Probably misremembering the box thing

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
As guy I know released an album packaged in a pizza box. The project was called ‘Litter’ so along the record itself, the box contained an old coffee cup, a ‘used’ disposable nappy, and various other bits of rubbish, all with song lyrics printed on them.

He hand delivered the records on a Vespa scooter which I thought was a neat touch. 🛵

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
loving surrender monkeys at Le Poste lost my Carpenter Brut album that I ordered 4 months ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stopped at a record store and picked up some cheap stuff:

Five of these were $1. One was $7, but I'm not telling which :ssh:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Molly hatchet may be the strongest mismatch between their album covers and music.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wish everything on Renaissance sounded like Food Fight.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
TBH, the Death Dealer artwork on Molly Hatchet is worth the price of entry alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Dealer_(painting)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve never seen that village people album before. It looks like Doyle from the misfits on the right. What’s going on there.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I’ve never seen that village people album before. It looks like Doyle from the misfits on the right. What’s going on there.
Once disco died, they tried to reinvent themselves as a new wave band. It's not a great album, but it does have one great punk song thrown in:

https://youtu.be/hpttbL8J4N4?si=MTeh35y2ucIXQ9Fu

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Once disco died, they tried to reinvent themselves as a new wave band. It's not a great album, but it does have one great punk song thrown in:

https://youtu.be/hpttbL8J4N4?si=MTeh35y2ucIXQ9Fu

That’s amazing

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

That’s amazing

It's like they heard Ballroom Blitz at an arcade once while drunk and tried to recreate it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

John Carpenter's Lost Themes IV is up for pre-order on Sacred Bones website :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

John Carpenter's Lost Themes IV is up for pre-order on Sacred Bones website :getin:

yeah I grabbed one of the sacred bones editions because I'm a sucker.