Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah so that explains why it can take a day or so to have new releases added to discogs. I don't have time to learn their style guide to make new entries myself so I just wait until some one else does it.

I thought this guy had an interesting take on the contributing to discogs thing.

https://dollarcountry.org/items/show/27109

He also has a really awesome mixcloud show focusing on old, unknown country 45s.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DollarCountry/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
New Vault package announced recently.

quote:

THIRD MAN RECORDS ANNOUNCES VAULT PACKAGE #59: ELVIS PRESLEY AT 706 UNION AVE: THE SUN SINGLES 1954-55

January 08, 2024

Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony Music Entertainment and the Sun Label Group, is proud to announce its 59th Vault package, Elvis Presley at 706 Union Ave: The Sun Singles 1954-55. Celebrating the seventieth anniversary of these monumental recordings, this collection includes faithful reproductions of all five of Presley’s original 7-inch 45rpm singles on Sun, pressed in a hypnotic yellow and black marble colored vinyl. Additionally, a bonus 7-inch EP of four Elvis songs recorded at Sun which didn’t see release until later are collected in a prime pretty picture sleeve and pressed on yellow and black “sun ray” splattered vinyl.

To further accentuate the set, Third Man has included two linen-style postcards in the box, one depicting the classic, unassuming facade of the Sun storefront and the other showing, in glorious detail, the beauty of sound absorbing acoustic tile. Also added here is a name-tag styled patch spiritually inspired by the accoutrement of Presley’s truck-driving job at Crown Electric, extolling the titular hook of that first Elvis a-side. And finally, a substantive, milled nickel 45 adaptor, featuring the iconic rooster emblazoned on all those early singles.

Beyond that, ONE lucky customer will receive a package that contains original 1950s pressings of ALL FIVE Elvis Presley singles on Sun. Sought after by collectors for decades, these records’ value align more with precious metals than molded plastic. A true golden-ticket opportunity. Order now through January 31st at https://www.thirdmanrecords.com/vault. Packages begin shipping in April.

It's cool but I'm not even sure it's $60 cool, let alone $75 cool. If you love Elvis, maybe.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

New Vault package announced recently.

It's cool but I'm not even sure it's $60 cool, let alone $75 cool. If you love Elvis, maybe.

I am not into Elvis. So that set would be just the right amount of Elvis for me. But $75 for a six 45s... lol no. That 45 adapter looks nice but I do not trust Third Man with patches after the Sleep box.

Here. Save yourself some dough.

https://www.discogs.com/master/107699-Elvis-Presley-The-Elvis-Presley-Sun-Collection?format=LP

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPy2ODqIgg

YouTuber orders the album you can't get.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I tried to get a Danzig and got Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Live in 1960. It's quite an upgrade.

I do wish that I had the opportunity to order more than one album the night this was happening. Oh well.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
well I did something cool I hosted a vinyl night at a local bar where I set up two turntables and a mixer and brought about 40 records and encouraged people to bring in their own. I honestly did not expect anyone to but a bunch of people did! so my "set" was like 40% random poo poo people took with them, which was good because I kind of ran out of things to play by the end! (it was 4 hours though) all the stuff that was brought owned too, I got two King Gizzard records and they both ruled, some weird Fripp & Summers insane disco thing (??), Kraftwerk's Radioactivity, a Hall & Oates cut that actually was good, a random blues record which was okay but something I could mix out of, and some other stuff I forgot about. I am pretty sure I made some transitions that have never been made before in human history

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

well I did something cool I hosted a vinyl night at a local bar where I set up two turntables and a mixer and brought about 40 records and encouraged people to bring in their own. I honestly did not expect anyone to but a bunch of people did! so my "set" was like 40% random poo poo people took with them, which was good because I kind of ran out of things to play by the end! (it was 4 hours though) all the stuff that was brought owned too, I got two King Gizzard records and they both ruled, some weird Fripp & Summers insane disco thing (??), Kraftwerk's Radioactivity, a Hall & Oates cut that actually was good, a random blues record which was okay but something I could mix out of, and some other stuff I forgot about. I am pretty sure I made some transitions that have never been made before in human history

Nice! That sounds like a blast.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

That does sound like a great time. I'd be kinda paranoid taking my albums to a bar, but I suppose anyone that came up with an idea like this would be good at handling them.

Out of curiosity, do you know which two Gizz albums they brought?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

JAMOOOL posted:

A Hall & Oates cut that’s actually good? Isn’t that almost all of them?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

A Hall & Oates cut that’s actually good? Isn’t that almost all of them?

Not gonna lie, you had me in the first half.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't go for that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Hall and Oates are responsible for Wu Tang's M.E.T.H.O.D. Man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3F4c7E9IBU
Show some respect.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Did anyone order anything from Blue Note on black friday? Every day they push my estimated shipping date +1 day lol

Update: my Black Friday records just came in today. Incredibly though, they issued me a refund as an apology. $100 bucks of free records, baby!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Update: my Black Friday records just came in today. Incredibly though, they issued me a refund as an apology. $100 bucks of free records, baby!

Awesome! Goongrats on your 2 free records!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Enos Cabell posted:

That does sound like a great time. I'd be kinda paranoid taking my albums to a bar, but I suppose anyone that came up with an idea like this would be good at handling them.

Out of curiosity, do you know which two Gizz albums they brought?

I think it was "K.G." and "L.W." - I know the first cut played was "Honey", can't remember what the other was but they were both great

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Been cataloguing all my stuff on discogs over the past week. Was able to find exact pressings of most things but man it gets tedious from the phone app. Almost done though! Only have like half a kallax shelf left. Super satisfying to finally have a nice, sortable list of everything.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Stan Taylor posted:

Been cataloguing all my stuff on discogs over the past week. Was able to find exact pressings of most things but man it gets tedious from the phone app. Almost done though! Only have like half a kallax shelf left. Super satisfying to finally have a nice, sortable list of everything.

Yeah after a certain point I just settled for "close enough" myself (I'm not gonna squint out the runout matrixes just to see if it's a Pitman / Terre Haute / Jacksonville / whatever the gently caress US plant)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I PURCHASED THIS RECORD WHERE YOU CLEARLY STATED IT WAS A PITMAN 3RD PRESSING WHEREAS THIS IS CLEARLY A PITMAN 2ND PRESSING I DEMAND A 175% REFUND AND NAMING RIGHTS TO YOUR FIRST BORN.

PLEASE STAY OFF OF DISCOGS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE IT

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah after a certain point I just settled for "close enough" myself (I'm not gonna squint out the runout matrixes just to see if it's a Pitman / Terre Haute / Jacksonville / whatever the gently caress US plant)

I love that I only open the discogs app to add stuff I just got in the mail to my collection and finding like 15 messages about changes to stuff in my library and it's almost always the most ACKSHULLY THIS RECORD IS THIS VERSION BECAUSE XYZ poo poo. Followed by like 3 more messages about the same record because some nerd got in a slap fight about it. :allears:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does it have the music on it and is it the right color

All other concerns are secondary

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Heath posted:

Not quite

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1871868
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1131553

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heath posted:

Does it have the music on it and is it the right color

What if you’re talking about 2 completely different pressings?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The most insane poo poo is the "Optimal Pressing" tag on Radiohead vinyl. I just don't get it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I, Butthole posted:

The most insane poo poo is the "Optimal Pressing" tag on Radiohead vinyl. I just don't get it

Optimal is the name of the pressing plant. It’s considered one of the better pressing plants currently in operation.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ballz posted:

Optimal is the name of the pressing plant. It’s considered one of the better pressing plants currently in operation.

Ay then why is side 3 and 4 of The Smile's debut loving defective on every copy?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Because it still has a better track record than GZ

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ballz posted:

Because it still has a better track record than GZ

Ah I'm confused now bc that album looks to have the master cut at one and then pressed at the other or vice-versa depending if its black / color / etc.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ah I'm confused now bc that album looks to have the master cut at one and then pressed at the other or vice-versa depending if its black / color / etc.

Yeah, sometimes the lacquer will be cut at one place and then sent somewhere else to be pressed (usually GZ) because the first pressing plant doesn't have the capacity to press it themselves. Most are fairly small operations, with GZ being the largest pressing plant still in existence today so a lot of the larger releases get sent over there.

In other news, I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to my old stomping grounds of St. Petersburg, Florida, and came home with a bunch of beat up but still charming (and stupidly cheap) finds:

Most of these come from either Bananas Records in St. Pete or some antique store in Plant City that had a "buy 6 for :20bux:" deal. The Quincy Jones came from a Goodwill and is in shockingly good condition for Goodwill fare.

That copy of Heart's Magazine is the OG version released without the band's approval that was eventually recalled. Not especially rare, but a neat version to find if you know what to look out for.

And speaking of forbidden music, two of those three Erroll Garner records were released without his consent during his lawsuit against Columbia Records. After he won his lawsuit, the albums were recalled, never to be released again. There are probably about two dozen people out there who care about those albums, but I count myself among them so am happy to finally have them in my unnecessarily large collection of Erroll.

Lastly, that coverless Blue Note is Lou Donaldson's Alligator Bogaloo. The record is in great shape... just missing that cover!

Edit: I forgot to include Ahmad Jamal's "But Not For Me" in the pic, Just pretend there's another random 60-year-old jazz record and you're all set.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Ballz posted:

Yeah, sometimes the lacquer will be cut at one place and then sent somewhere else to be pressed (usually GZ) because the first pressing plant doesn't have the capacity to press it themselves. Most are fairly small operations, with GZ being the largest pressing plant still in existence today so a lot of the larger releases get sent over there.

Is GZ not 100% DMM?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bread Dragon posted:

Is GZ not 100% DMM?

I meant like plates being done at one place and then sent to GZ who'd use them to do the actual pressing. Perhaps because of their high demand/capacity, GZ's quality control is... unreliable at best.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I don't really want this but I kinda need it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2ioE5Vue6A/?igsh=N2pneDFwNnBta2Z5

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah Tierra Wack's finally putting an album out on March 15th. Interscope's got signed vinyl for the same price as unsigned, too.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought some stuff recently I've been thoroughly enjoying.

A Weedeater album and merch

Also Mercurial World by Magdalena Bay, softscars by Yeule and the single Barz Simpson by Jay Electronica and MF DOOM

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Megabound posted:

Also Mercurial World by Magdalena Bay, softscars by Yeule and the single Barz Simpson by Jay Electronica and MF DOOM

All I see there is a baby.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sigh

I'm loving around on the mobile fidelity site like I do every so often, pondering what could possibly be the difference between "sold out," "awaiting repress," and "out of stock," all three of which are distinct states of being for most of the records they sell

and I kinda want to buy some records, and I can definitely afford to buy some records, but they're expensive enough (and likely enough to become unavailable at any moment) that trying to decide which ones to get when buying a few of them turns into a "which child do I like the most" dilemma, and buying a huge stack of them is right out

a lot of the decision pivots on questions like "do i buy something i've never heard before and want to explore, or do i take this not-likely-to-come-again chance to buy a really nice copy of something i've already got a thrift store special of"

and I'm only looking at the 30, 40, and 60-dollar records, not even the ridiculous triple-digit stuff

trying to stack records up to where it feels like I've gotten a bunch but also haven't spent a truly stupid amount

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

thrift store scores today

(my wife insisted I get the Tarzan but Phil Collins owns anyway so...)

I'd never heard of the ones of the left but initial listen, they sound pretty good

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Your vinyls look sick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah there's never anything good record-wise

well... there were volumes 1-4 of Kitaro's silk road but that's not really my scene

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

yeah there's never anything good record-wise

well... there were volumes 1-4 of Kitaro's silk road but that's not really my scene

It is totally my scene, tho, drat. I would have.

recent pickups:

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

It is totally my scene, tho, drat. I would have.

recent pickups:

Does the Alan Parsons have the blue outer sleeve??