Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I bought my first new vinyl record off of the internet and just got it today. Yay!

But, it's kind of warped a little. Not dramatically so, but enough that I can hear the pitch drop/rise just a little bit.

I understand that there isn't anything I can do about this unfortunately. My question is, what the hell? I just bought this brand new (Decemberists - The Tain). Is this common? I'm a little surprised to be honest...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Can a crappy turntable lead to the same pitch changing effect as a warped record?

I ask because I've started buying new records over the last few weeks and a lot of them seem to be doing this, but looking at them I don't see any significant warp. I can also see that moves up and down a fair bit while spinning, so the arm is pretty much constantly moving up and down a little bit.

It's a pretty lovely player I bought last summer for about $100 new, so it's definitely in the low-quality tier.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Does anybody have experience with the Stanton T52? I've been looking around and it seems to be a fairly decent budget table from the few reviews I've seen. It's around $160 at my local music store which is a respectable price.

It looks like the tone-arm weight can be adjusted but doesn't have anti-skating stuff. How important is that in terms of not doing damage to records?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
So I ended up purchasing the turntable I posted about on the last page. This has left me with a bunch of questions and I'm wondering if I should return it. I am also fairly new and stupid to this vinyl business.

1. There's no anti-skate. From doing some reading I'm led to believe that *should* be OK because the arm is straight. Is this true or am I going to be putting uneven wear on my records?

2. Whenever I hear a pop on this table it's WAY louder than the music itself. This didn't happen on the $99 table and I'm playing the same albums that I was yesterday. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Did I screw and buy a bum/the wrong table here?

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 19, 2012

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh, I have the reissue, and let me say, DO NOT GET IT. It sounds terrible. First off, it is way too quiet. I have to turn my receiver up all the way to even hear it. And then, if that's not enough, the sound is way too overcompressed. Literally, all the detail in the drums, bass, guitars, and vocals is just mired because everything has the same volume.

They did a terrible job in my opinion.

I have the Justice reissue and it sounds like garbage as well (beyond the album's original production issues of course).

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

dflanny posted:

http://www.popmarket.com/details/27219891

Caribou vinyl bundle daily deal at Popmarket. Andorra and Swim for $30, free shipping (even international!), use code FACEBOOK10 for an extra 10% off.

I jumped on this as they're both great albums which I've been meaning to get on vinyl.

Nice, ordered this. I can't resist free shipping to Canada.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Speaking of not getting an order, has anyone by chance ordered the Coolrunnings LP and not received it?

I ordered in it late May and nothing has arrived. I've emailed the band several times without a reply. I'm also past the 45 days to do a meaningful paypal dispute. This is my first time getting totally stiffed on the internet and it kinda sucks that it happens to be by a small band I actually wanted to support.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Peacebone posted:

I was a part of the Kickstarter to get the LP pressed and it was thought to ship in February..then March..then didn't hear anything until I pestered the singer on Twitter (@BRAND0NBI0ND0) and finally got it around May. The dude/band really needed some business guy to help him with shipping out LPs. II thought the LP was great and loved the band, but after following the singer on twitter and hearing his dumb rants, I lost a bit of respect for him and the band. I think COOLRUNNINGS is dead now anyways as the singer is now going under a new less name, Shy Boy. Sucks.

I'll bug him on Twitter and see if that works. At least he'll see that, he's completely ignored all my emails.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
If y'all are into subscriptions you might want to check out the Too Pure Singles Club.

I subscribed this year and they've been good releases, only one or two that I haven't been crazy about.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Got my Dan Deacon - America pre-order LP today! It's on clear vinyl and sounds great. I'm a big Dan Deacon fan so I'm pretty happy about this one.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I didn't get any fancy RSD stuff but I did use the 20% off discount on everything in the store to get a copy of QOTSA's self-titled and Desert Sessions III/IV, so I'm happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Me in Reverse posted:

Fun fact: It's now been four months and a week since I was supposed to have gotten my Man With The Iron Fists Deluxe Pak from Soul Temple.

They've ignored in the range of 20 emails now, save one reply two months ago which said "We shipped them out in December, you should have gotten it."

:thumbsup:

If it makes you feel any better I still haven't received my Coolrunnings record that I ordered nearly a year ago. I've emailed the guy a bunch, he even replied and apologized and said he'd be sending it soon! But then he never sent it, and stopped responding.