Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I haven't bought any records in a while, but I got these at Goodwill today in the dollar bin:

No Men Without Hats, unfortunately.
edit: There was also what looked like a copy of Q: Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo, but it was just the sleeve. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dancing Potato posted:

Arthur for a dollar is a hell of a find.
I actually am really unfamiliar with The Kinks so I hadn't heard of any of those albums. I knew I liked when I had heard of their 60s stuff, these were all late 70s/80s (Arthur had no date) so I figured they were crap. I ended up buying them for the hell of it and got to listen to Arthur before reading anything about it. :aaa: What a great album.

Johndice posted:

Daaaaaaaaamn. I'd just about given up on finding vinyl locally after my town's last record store closed, but maybe I should try Goodwills and other thrift shops.
Thrift stores can be great or terrible depending on how they're run, and it's pretty easy to figure out which ones are worth going to often. Bad ones (usually Goodwills) will charge 1.25 or more, and they won't ever throw anything out so you get to dig through the same 200 christian records that are there month after month. Good ones will keep a fresh stock of <50 records and throw out any old stuff if it sits there too long. Those stores are usually more concerned about moving inventory and will usually charge less than $1.

The store I got those from is one that keeps stuff around forever, but somehow they manage to consistently get great collections dumped on them that nobody buys because they put their stock in a really non-obvious place. I check there once every other week or so, and probably buy something once every month or two (but when I do, it's usually 10-20 at a time).

So it's at least worth a trip around town to scope out the stores to find any good ones. You might be able to snag a decent turntable for $10 as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dancing Potato posted:

Does it have the sweet/creepy kangaroo lyrics insert?
No, it's missing the inner sleeve altogether.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to the same Goodwill on a whim today. I didn't expect much since I bought the good stuff last week, but they had a large bunch of probably 200 new records. A lot of these I had never heard of but sometimes it's fun to spend $10 on ten records just based on the cover art/tracklisting.

Men At Work - Business as Usual ^heh
Men at Work - Two Hearts
Dickie Goodman - Mr. Jaws and Other Fables (A comedy album that I've been looking for for years. I used to think this was hilarious when I was a kid and my dad would play it for me, though I'm sure it won't be as funny as I remember)
Weird Al - In 3D
George Carlin - Occupation Foole
Joan Baez - self titled
After The Fire - ATF
Love and Rockets - Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
The Vapors - New Clear Days
The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
Steppenwolf - Early Steppenwolf (live album)
Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe
The Gymslips - Rocking with the Renees. - This is the best/oddest of the bunch. It's some british punk girl band from the 80s. Great condition with a weird lyrics insert. Don't know if it's worth anything because it's hard to find any that have sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7sBdpvm-Q

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

alg posted:

Man I know this is :goonsay: as gently caress but I wish y'all shipped your products faster :( I placed 2 orders around noon on Friday and they haven't even shipped yet. If I could've found them on Amazon they would be here tomorrow, free shipping.
Are you really comparing another site's shipping service to Amazon Prime, which costs $80 per year? 2 business days to ship something out isn't exactly unreasonable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

thebigpicture posted:

Amazon has the Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Committee-Part-2/dp/B002T9HD3M

2LP + 7inch, digital download, and iron on graphic. I also got the flexi from Joyful Noise. Really cool, can't wait to see the box to store them in.

Thanks for posting this. Mine came in yesterday and it's an awesome set. Contrary to the picture, it came on white vinyl (the single, too). I've never bought a record from Amazon but they packaged it very nice. Looks like it's still available from Amazon (select them as the seller) for < $11.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Devo announced their RSD release. It's a 1981 live recording from a Seattle concert:
http://devo-obsesso.com/seattle-1981-news.html

It's a pretty cool release because despite all of the live Devo recordings circulating, there aren't any really good ones from the New Traditionalists tour that I know of, and this show specifically hasn't been heard before.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Its been done but I can't remember who the hell did it.

The soundtrack to The Black Hole was one but apparently they leaked so they were never mass produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've just been adding stuff I buy to a spreadsheet because I'm too lazy to deal with Discogs.

You can check it out here, but it's all stuff from Goodwill and thrift store dollar bins so there's a lot of crap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiPtqBvPHm0vdExHOUszclBEV3NMS0tWbjJOX1FROFE
Still need to add about 100 more that I left at my parents house a year ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I find price gouging to be the absolute worst thing about record collecting and I pretty strongly resent anyone who does it.
They started the auction at $150 AND they're keeping one for themselves. For a family who probably doesn't even know or care who Jack White is, what should they have done instead?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RizieN posted:

But what is this engraving? Some "collector" mark his poo poo?

It says AL- 34427 and them some weird squiggle that could be anything really, looks like 3 letters, but they're squiggles. Its hard to get a picture of with my phone.

Don't pretty much all records have engravings like this?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just sold all my vinyls to feed the homeless. Thank you to this thread for opening my eyes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't say I've run into many yard sales where they individually price records.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

(I've posted plenty of record store finds in this very thread before. I have absolutely no reason to lie about where I find my LPs).

Oh I wasn't trying to imply that, I would just be surprised if I found some guy selling stuff like that in my town. Every time I find LPs at a garage sale (which is surprisingly uncommon itself), the person has no idea what they're worth, and that's usually a bad thing. Last week I stopped at a few garage sales and found one batch of records. The guy was selling them for $5 a piece, and it was all garbage that nobody would pay $1 for. I've had much better luck at thrift stores because at least you know they're going to price them around $1 regardless of quality, you just have to get lucky and get to the new ones right after they're put out for sale.

Garage sales can be fun though. I've only bought stuff from one guy yet this summer, a bunch of 80s pop rock (Heart, Quarterflash, etc) for 10 cents each. Usually the people are happy to make conversation too since you're buying the albums from their childhood. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

The zip lock bags are a pain as well because if you seal them 100% you can never get enough air out to stop each and every one being an annoying air pillow thing. Consequently I only seal them 3/4 of the way. :corsair:

You could just punch a hole in every bag.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

They are really going up in price now, did you get it for something sane?

It looks like you can almost buy the whole Bioshock 2 special edition with the game and vinyl for the same price as the record is going alone on ebay. I guess people might not realize that the Bioshock 1 soundtrack came in the Bioshock 2 package?

For a while after release, they were dirt cheap. I got the special edition for $30, and then bought another for $10 shipped from best buy a few months later. :psyduck:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I play all my records by laying it on a table, putting a rusty nail to the vinyl, and running circles around it.

CDs just can't match the warmth of a record played with a rusty nail.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I can see Polyvinyl or someone eventually using a 3D printer as a gimmick for a single release or something, but only once the resolution is high enough that it doesn't sound like complete rear end. Other than that, I think the 3D printed record thing was kind of just to say, "Check out the amazing resolution of this 3D printer!", not "Check out the future of pressing records!" 3D printing is still a budding technology, and obviously it's not viable for music distribution in its current form, but it is still pretty impressive that there's a machine right now that is capable of PRINTING OUT a clip of audio that actually plays. That's some futuristic poo poo.

Polyvinyls are the future of music.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Especially because it's a reference to something you never actually said.

And because it's not even a dumb opinion.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Our local Hastings bookstore is doing a test run of buying records at a flat rate of $.50/per. My dad's driving over a load of a couple thousand to sell, so I "get" to spend all tonight doing a once-over of them and picking out anything I want or think might be worth something. Last time I looked at them I know I saw some Miles Davis and about five Funkadelic records, including Maggot Brain, so I'm hoping there might be more good stuff. Unfortunately it's genres I don't know much about, so there will be a lot of time spent on popsike/ebay tonight.

edit: Scratch that, they've all been unloaded by relatives who are taking them to another store. Sucks that nobody will bother to go through them first. :(

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 5, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A few pickups from the 49 cent bin at Salvation Army.

My habit of buying everything with Swedish text that looks like it might be Rock is working. Also I don't own any Randy Newman records so I guess I'll start with those.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

david puddy posted:

I dunno, I was born in 1992 and had never even seen a record until a few years ago.
Not even in TV or movies, Or do you mean in person? Did you never set foot in a thrift or antique store?

edit: vvv Ah, I could see that then.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 18, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

Well I am very excited :whip:
http://www.superiorviaduct.com/collections/devo

Definately picking up the Deluxe pack when I get paid. I love the more Gritty DEVO sound.

Oh poo poo, I never really expected that. There's hardly any albums that I would pay $50 for, but Hardcore Devo might be the first.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 30, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to the Salvation Army today and picked up the rest of their Swedish records that I passed on last time.

Ulf Lundell - Nådens år
Torsten Wallen - När Kulorna Rullar ‎
Anita Lindblom - Self Titled
Arja Saijonmaa and Mikis Theodorakis ‎– Det Är Tid Att Sjunga Sånger
Röda bönor - Sköna Skrönor (On the cover the album name is first so it says "Skona Skronor Rode A Boner" :mmmhmm:)

I don't know the language or anything about the music, but this stuff is fun to listen to.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

von Braun posted:

Ulf Lundell is considered the "Swedish Dylan", though I have personally never gotten into him. Röda Bönor is Swedish communist prog. Arja Saijonmaa is also some kind of folk singer and has some really good songs (Jag vill tacka livet is a favorite). Anita Lindblom is just a classic schalger singer. Torsten Wallen I have no clue who it is.

Thanks, it's nice to have some context! I've been putting them on as background music while I work. Normally I listen to instrumentals or I get distracted, but it turns out languages you don't speak are just as good. :)

One thing I've noticed though - all the sleeves are flimsy and poorly glued together, and it's not like they're all from the same label. Are a lot of European releases like that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

So when's the Hardcore Devo moving out?

May 14th. Deluxe edition is sold out now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are the black vinyl copies limited?

I don't believe so, and they said it will be available in stores. The deluxe edition was exclusive to the website, though they didn't promote it as being limited.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So I guess the release date for Hardcore Devo has silently changed from May 14 to June 25. Would have been nice to get an email considering I've already given them $50. :mad:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dunno if I should be annoyed about this because it seems like a bit of a 'gently caress you' to the people who preordered it/bought it when it cost $40 (how exactly is it a "limited edition" if you're just gonna keep producing it alongside the standard package?)

It could be worse, look at "limited edition" video games. Vinyl does way better than most other products that push limited edition versions.

And then there's the hilarious case of the Bioshock 2 special edition, which came with the game, huge hardcover art book, soundtrack CD, posters, and a vinyl version of the Bioshock 1 score. Retailed for $80 or $90. I bought a copy when it hit $30, and another from Best Buy when they sold them for $10. It was dirt cheap for the longest time, but now just the record itself seems to be appreciating in value. It sells for $30 or so.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Like Me In Reverse said, you're looking at 350 listings and sorting by highest price. Only 5 of those 350 sold for more than $200.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'd be really interested in finding a mono-pressing of that album, but it looks like Ebay is coming up nil.

I always thought the whole point of the "ping pong percussion" fad was to tack some crazy stereo percussion effects onto tracks. I doubt a mono version would have ever been produced.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stacking will result in rings on the covers after a long time. It also makes them harder to browse through and pick one out. There's just no reason to store them that way, but don't be afraid if you have a few records laying flat on your turntable or something.

I'm not sure how they would get warped, I guess into a slight concave/vex bowl shape? I've never seen a record get warped from being stacked, even in stacks that have been sitting still for 30 years. The covers will get messed up though, especially in a moist environment.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

nadabolt posted:

A cool trick is using wood glue to clear out any lingering sawdust

I decided to look up wood glue record cleaning videos and found someone who's delusional about his copy of The Doors:
http://vimeo.com/40170449#t=361

Everyone dig out your copies because you're sitting on a goldmine!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

For anyone who ordered the Hardcore Devo release, it's finally shipping:
http://www.superiorviaduct.com/blogs/news/8110903-now-shipping-devo-hardcore-vinyl

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Huh, I had no idea that new 45s didn't have the big holes in them. I guess it makes sense though. Can you still queue up a bunch of 45s on a turntable without using an adapter then?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As an early birthday present, my girlfriend got me a suitcase USB turntable and a vinyl copy of Random Access Memories, one of my favorite albums of the year. I thought it was really cool because vinyl is a hobby I've wanted to get into for years but just never got around to. But I've got a couple problems:
    - 1) The record is skipping. It's a 2xLP with 4 sides, and it skips on every side.
    - 2) USB recording sounds really flat. I connected the player to the computer, it automatically installed a driver for it and I was able to record in Audacity and get sound and everything, but the recordings just don't sound very good on multiple sets of speakers.
    - 3) I can't find a way to connect the player to my computer speakers (a good 2.1 Logitech system with a nice sub). That system has a wired remote that only has a headphone port. I tried plugging it into that via RCA > 1/8, but that didn't work. It plays fine through my studio monitors, connected to my audio interface via RCA > 1/8 and then 1/8 to 1/4, but I don't have a sub for my studio monitors so I just get the high end of the mix and not much else.
Any ideas on how to correct these issues, vinyl goon buds? I have a sneaking suspicion the first two may be caused by the player itself being cheaply made, but I'm not sure. The brand is Pyle, which I'd never heard of before. It's a refurbished model, I think, and was sub-$100. As for the third, do you guys know if I'd need an adapter to do this or is it simply not possible?

For the skipping issue, my gf read that it may be caused by an improper balance of the cartridge or something, and to fix that, you can weigh it down with coins. So we tried putting coins (a quarter and a nickel) on top of the headshell, and it didn't skip after that, but the coins would fall off onto the record while it was playing. So we tried taping the coins to the headshell, but that didn't work too much better. That seems like kind of a ghetto-rig solution, so I was wondering if y'all might know a better, more efficient solution.

The fact that you have the same avatar as David Puddy made this post really confusing.

You're right, the recording probably sounds bad because pretty much all those USB turntables are cheaply made. Same with the skipping issue. You might search for a newer driver?

If it's truly a hobby that you'd like to get into, it would probably be worth returning that one and spending the same amount of money on whatever is the highest rated turntable on Amazon. It won't be the best but it should be better than the one you have. You don't need to spend $300 to get something that sounds good, it's just that all of those USB turntables are going to be inferior to a similarly-priced "normal" turntable. Of course returning yours might not be an option since it was a gift and it was refurbished, but there you go.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

And what kind can I get that sounds good for not too much money? If everything under $100 doesn't sound good, I don't want to go too cheap. But I don't want to spend a ton of money either, because A) I don't have a ton of money to spend and B) I'm coming into this as a beginner.
I'd suggest looking around for a used vintage turntable. You can get some great equipment for very cheap, but you might have to be patient. If you live in a big town, check out craigslist. Check garage sale ads in the paper and online for anything mentioning record players or stereo equipment (it's that time of the season!). Thrift stores will sometimes have turntables as well.

I'm someone who considers the hunt for used records and equipment the fun part of the hobby, though. If you prefer to buy new, I'm sure someone can recommend an entry level turntable for <$100 that will sound better than your current one and won't skip. Just looking on Amazon, this one seems to be the most popular one in that price range, though I've personally never used it.

You also might check out this thread, which is specifically about equipment:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

edit: and speaking of craigslist, this ad popped up in my city recently.

I don't know anything about the brand but that thing looks cool as hell.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 25, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't even tell if you guys are joking :negative:

Judging by the look of it, this stuff doesn't look like it's from the 90s. Well, maybe the speakers are. They look newer than the turntable/receiver. The turntable/receiver look like they're from...I don't know, the late 70s or early 80s? They look really retro. I honestly have no idea, though.

The cartridge/stylus looks like it was recently replaced, though. Like maybe within the last few years? It looks newer than the rest of the parts on it, at least. It's an Audio Technica 30E/U.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow (well, later today actually). I feel like I've been fooling with this stuff way too much today, since I went to my girlfriend's mom's house like half an hour out of town, tested some records on it, then unhooked everything and loaded it into my car, then unloaded it into my house, then positioned everything multiple different ways until I found one that worked. I need to take a break from it already :v:

You made out like a bandit. Marantz is very high quality stuff. Try looking up your model numbers on ebay.

Also post some pics!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

They made some absolute tat after the were sold to a Philips in the late 70s. It's a shame as they were both once companies with products of high quality.

Ah, I didn't know that. Either way, it's still a big step up from the suitcase player he had. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

When you're buying a console player, you're buying a piece of furniture. If you like the way it looks in your place, then go for it and don't listen to anybody saying it's not good at actually playing records. The one you posted looks like it's in fine condition and could be a neat addition to a room.

I have a big-rear end console player in my garage. The turntable is garbage but I use it as a radio and a table. I know it's not worth anything and it's not a collector's piece, but not everything has to be valuable to enjoy.