Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Of course, chocolate records are no innovation but in the past (I forget which decade, I'm guessing 1930's) they used to be covered in tin foil, at least. (I read this in the same book from which I learned there used to be chocolate spoons to make giving medicine to children easier.)

You're thinking of the Stollwerck Phonograph from 1903.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Carl FTWinslow posted:

You've set something up wrong because I have this exact same setup and do not have this problem. I have the heavier counterweight and I haven't had to adjust it in over a year and it never moves at all. If you have everything the way it should be, you shouldn't need to fiddle with your counterweight frequently at all. Also the 'distortion' at the end of the record you may be hearing is the hum of the Debut III's motor which is clearly audible through any quiet part. I used some memory foam under where the transport screws go in on the motor to dampen it a bit. It barely helped though.

There's a few threads on some other forums here and there about the d3's motor. Everyone hates it. I would go as far as recommending that this be mentioned in the OP where it suggests the d3.

The Pro-Ject motor hum is a very common fault with many of their turntables (my old Pro-Ject Xperience exhibited it as well) which share the same motor mounting assembly. The hum is caused by the vibration of the motor travelling through that lovely rubber band support directly into the plinth. Essentially, it's just a really badly thought out isolation system (seriously, did they even test it?). Fortunately, some enterprising person (not me) came up with a fix, an 'official' version of which is now also available from Pro-Ject (they have also modified the mounting system on the new Debut).

More details on this VinylEngine thread here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39274

And here is the page with details of the original fix:

http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html

I can't verify the fix, as my Xperience has long gone, just putting the info out there in case it's of use to anyone :)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
BBC Radio 6 are having a All Vinyl day on the 1st January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16330702

Should be interesting (although I think every day should be Vinyl Day)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm trying to think...

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Flaming Lips - Telepathic Surgery
Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
Flaming Lips with Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Boris - Feedbacker
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Black Moth Super Rainbow/Octopus Project - The House of Apples and Eyeballs

'Summer Holiday' by Kevin the Gerbil :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFlw31Pk4w

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

My dad came by yesterday and dropped off his two old record players, one Dual and one Thorens, with a promise that I can have his entire record collection if I want :woop:

None of the players work (i.e. spin) as far as I can tell. Dad recommended I get them serviced at the hi-fi store in town, but is there anything I can check myself first? The store option sounds like it might get expensive.

They probably just need new drive belts. What models are they? Thorens and Dual are two good makes.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Check the belt too, it might have risen up and be riding on the rim of the motor.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Yoshifan823 posted:

The second thing I would do after I bought that piece of beauty would be to plug it into a TV with some lovely speakers and take pictures, and post those pictures to every audiophile forum I could find, just to watch them flip out.

The first, of course, would be to drive home to my mansion in my Lambo with my wife, Scarlett Johannson.

Make sure you proclaim it to be 'useless for scratching' for added effect.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Well gently caress, that doesn't sound promising. I might just end up moving the whole stereo instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

If you have a separate pre-amp you could move the pre-amp close to the turntable, then use the extension cables between the pre-amp and the amplifier/receiver.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Another Person posted:

Hm, thinking maybe I can source out some help from some vinyl experts here. Everything I play through my turntable and amp has a fuzzed up, crappy bass which can only be made tolerable by turning the bass up on the amp. Is this an issue that is rooted in the turntable (a really old Sanyo TPX1) or the amp (equally old Technics SA-110L) and it has existed for pretty much as long as they have been in my possession. First off, anybody here know the quality of this ancient kit? For all I know they could be stinking piles of poo poo.

I have tried polishing the vinyl, cleaning the stylus, changing the cables running between all the gear and a few other things.

I know it is not my record collection, as I have tried new vinyl on it which has had the same problem. I also know it is not the speakers as I have tried four different kinds through the times with no success. It is always the same problem.

If it is the gear that is being crappy, due to just being crap brands, then does anybody know where I can get a tolerable turntable and amp in the UK for a relatively low price? I literally have no idea what prices I am looking at because no shops near me stock turntables or amps, I have checked.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys may lend me.

Well, the equipment is pretty low end - I looked up the Sanyo and the arm looks a bit um - 'basic', but it should work okay. I'd be looking at a possible cartridge problem myself. A few questions:
1) What is the make/model of the cartridge, or if it's not possible to tell, what does the cartridge look like?
2) How old is the stylus?
3) What tracking force are you using?

Also, do you run any other sources (CD player, iPod) through the amp, and if so do they sound okay? If not, maybe it's the speakers which are at fault and not the deck at all. e: I read good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a pretty cool video about the making of the new Flaming Lips records for RSD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioq70dsUmqI

The one's they've been pressing for this look insane.

He's touching the grooves with his fingers :gonk:

Great video though, I always find it amazing the process of pressing a record works at all.