Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Kaboobi posted:

Posting from last thread:

Someone make this happen for the love of God

I should mention I talked to this guy on e-mail, linked him to this thread and he was pretty tickled by this quote. Anyway, someone make this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The best kind of record store clerk is the one who gives you a kind of scowl when you walk around his store for the first time and get that it's just overpriced dadrock and Goodwill swill and leave after 3 minutes.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Neat stuff from craigslist:

-Talking Heads, Remain in Light
-Ministry, Work for Love
-Kraftwerk, Computer World
-Tom Tom Club s/t
-"Mash it Up!" (razorbeat records comp, some late 80's ska)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Why can't more places have turntables for listening before you buy? A place in portsmouth has like six boxes of "punk(?)" records, all artists I've never heard of, some really weird ones too (like one white heavy 10" that was just folded between cardboard with a bunch of ink scribbles on it, or an LP in a plain gray sleeve with just a number on the back, all labels just Side A and B with some numbers. what could it be??). I wanted to dive in and find out, but $4 for who knows what ain't my game.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ron Burgundy posted:

This.

Personally, the best of the bunch for me is the Numark PT-01 and the Vestax Handy Trax.

A word of warning, for whatever reason you might need to, for the love of god do not EVER back cue on one of these portable turntables. It will literally tear the living poo poo out of the groove. Those big red snap-in sapphire needles are like bread knives.

Yeah that sounds pretty scary. I think NH record stores (all of them I know anyway, I've never been in one that had a player) just need to buckle the gently caress down and realize that just opening a store full of your parent's old records isn't simply the key to jumping on this Vinyl Bandwagon.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Well, just goes to show, I e-mailed the owner and asked if they had any plans to put a table out, he just kinda went "hm sounds like a good idea!" and now there's one out there. Cool

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
well I guess the dude at the store meant "yeah we play our instore music on a table, so there is one in the store" kinda thing, so I just blindly bought two things that I have no idea what they are, just looked cool

Process -- "Regeneration"

The O Voids -- s/t

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Snowy, it sounds like you'd have a ton of stuff I'd be interested in, definitely post a list.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Snowy posted:

Yeah, me too, I love checking out thrift shops while on vacation. You really get a feel for the character of the area. In California I found a lot of old Environments records- still trying to find the whole collection- and in far northern Finland they had boxes of cheesy 80s euro disco.

Ahaha, this was given to me as a gag gift once. I forgot it in my car and it melted to hell though.

Mitch Miller's sing alongs are pretty prevalent around here, as well as Chirstmas albums, songs by Broadway performers, compilations from the 60's of "Song's the Whole World Loves" etc., and of course Streisand/Bee Gees/BARRY MANILOW/Chuck Mangione/Hank Williams/Lionel Richie.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
goddamn FD that owns.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I finally got around to hearing that whole record the other day, aside from some tracks being really meandering and long it's pretty great.

e: not gonna spend 30$ for it, but it's cool that it's getting a (small) reissue anyway.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 29, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Found Tar's debut "Roundhouse" in a bin, $3. Pretty neat. My go-to store is having an on/off sale on all physical media just to try and move it all, it's pretty great. It's all this one dudes personal collection mostly, and he has got to have over 10,000 records easily.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That thing is a party fuckin machine

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Someone made a shame dump of old 45s at goodwill the other day:

Men without hats: Safety Dance (why bother with the rest, jerry?)

Kenny Loggins: Danger Zone

simple minds: Don't you forget about me

Nina: 99 luftballoons

I'm a use em as christmas/bday gifts for people I think highly of.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That TH thing owns dude, wicked find. Never heard of it either. Of course this means now my collection is incomplete, so also gently caress you, but still

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MokBa posted:

Haha, sorry man. Isn't it oh-so-pretty though? :allears: I've already given it a couple spins in the <2 days I've owned it. Speaking of things, I saw that http://www.insound.com site that was posted a few pages back, and it is my new favorite. I came across these:

http://www.insound.com/EVOL-Pink-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89691/
http://www.insound.com/Sister-Purple-Vinyl-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89688/

Do they seriously still have copies of the Pink and Purple versions? If only 500 of each were made, you'd think they would have been long sold out by now. Either way I have to get E.V.O.L. because it's the version with the endless groove at the end of "Expressway to Yr. Skull" instead of the one that ends in "Bubblegum". My very first proper concert at age 15 was Sonic Youth and they ended the night with a long rendition of "Expressway" so it's very near and dear to me.

If it's actually true there are only 500 of those (didn't we just discuss bullshit limited runs though) I'm glad I bought that on a whim at RSD like 2 years ago. My favorite SY album and the endless groove man...!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
new store opened up in town, they're clearly still getting everything set up, but I did find Big Black's Racer-X (92 reissue) and Headache EPs. Should be getting a big buncha punk/hardcore in soon that I'm going to dig into!!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

cheapandugly posted:

Just received this fabulous work in the mail today :
Front:

Back:

Label:

I can't wait until no one else is home so I can actually listen to it. I'm planning on picking up the rest of the series of reissues as well.

Big Business Sloth, nice haul on the Big Black EPs. I've got both myself, and they're absolute favorites of mine. Did your copy of Headache still have the "Not Quite as Good as Atomizer" sticker on it?

yeah it does, fuckin decent TG by the way

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Funny, I would have been interested but I got a TX-8211 yesterday.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've only ever encountered one. Are they common in some genre?

They show up occasionally, and also auto-return isn't affected by them (my copy of EVOL will just play away forever)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
While good, Gish isn't the premiere SP release, it's the following one, Siamese Dream. I think they remastered that one too.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Don't let 'em get too hot, and although your older records are probably gonna have ring stresses all over the cover anyways, store them upright like in a milk crate so that doesn't happen.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
yeah not to derail record collecting talk too much here but the idea that an album is less a "collection of songs set down on record" than "a single flow of songs in particular order with possible narrative" is a very new and western rock oriented idea, so don't hang on that too too much.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Handshake Drugs posted:

Expanding my Sonic Youth collection plus some other things as well.

Neat. I got an OG copy of Atomizer the other day in Portland and now all I need is the Bulldozer EP to have em all, minus Lungs but that's some insane poo poo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

After listening to the Ultra-Lounge compilations for 2 days straight I had to go out and buy a ton of exotica. Slim pickings for the cheap stuff, but i got some scores in the store's free box, including this gem:

Its really pretty ok actually. One of the songs on the b-side (forgot where in the sequence) is actually really beautiful and should not be hidden in the last half of a novelty accordion orchestra album.

This is kickass, I need to hear this.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CPL593H posted:

I'm way too lazy to put my collection up on discogs. You fuckers are committed.

Yeah geez. And then you have to figure out if you have the canadian version or some poo poo like that and oh no you got it wrong it was actually the reissue seven months later or whatever. But I only have like 50 88 records so I dunno why I'm saying this

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 5, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

That is one hell of a noise rock collection.

yikes, this is crazy. cool stuff

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
A Big Black poster too? Where'd you get that?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
of course, the bulldozer EP is the one I don't have, excepting Lungs.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
oh sure, I've heard bulldozer and it's good, probably more consistent than racer-x. but I want swag too, and there isn't much to be found online.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CPL593H posted:

gently caress Record Store Day.

not an emptyquote.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That Medicine box is cool as hell. I recognize Aruca, and yeah is that an alternate cover for The Buried Life?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

fozzie dunlop posted:

Jesus God, this is incredible.

Okay, I swear to god I'm not insane or an idiot, but I wanted to hear this and I donated some money to ELHR but how do I actually download the thing? I can't even preview it, I don't think, but maybe chrome or linux is preventing that.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

WASDF posted:

You should also be redirected to a page to download it.

I get to the paypal thanks page and that's it. I'll have to e-mail them I guess.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Kickstarter only Black Tambourine EP

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on this. It's Ramones covers right?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That's from loving yardsales? I'm gonna need to hit up more yardsales.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'm on the West Coast for a minute here and dang are the stores around here so much more diverse and their price points slay stuff from back home. I found many records that would normally be in store windows back East with $35 tags for $9.99 over here.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Skeletone also has bins of $4 "punk" records that are great to buy impulsively because of their covers. I got some cool stuff I've never heard before doing that (also, a Tar record, which was neat)

is that RS Butler's place actually worth it? I figured it would just be regular old antique store swill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Let it be known that I am the Most Dweeb and will surely purchase this dumb fetish item for god knows why and I don't even care