Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I live down the street from one of the better music/record stores in the city and I just drove by on my way home and saw about 5-8 people bundled up in blankets and and jackets (it's about 60 degrees right now) camping out in front of the store. They've got about 12 hrs to go. Who knows how long they've been there. Oh RSD :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

ChiTownEddie posted:

I honestly forgot all about RSD. I am okay with that.

I didn't but I also didn't participate. Maybe I'll take a walk down to the store to see what they have left. I really only wanted the Brubeck release anyways.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Last record I bought from Amazon was shipped with an iphone case. The big box I received had the case inside with packing AND the amazon LP mailer inside. I haven't tried to order anything limited from amazon though so I don't know. Sure as hell beats Insound's always bent to hell corners.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

My copy of Deerhoof's Milk Man on strawberry vinyl came pretty badly warped from Polyvinyl. They just sent me a new one no questions. It played but I felt that I should recieve a non-warped copy.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm not big on buying soundtracks but what the hell is wrong with people? I really wish people wouldn't pay these stupid prices so flippers would stop doing this poo poo. That way, people who actually want something, can just pay what it's worth. It's just a record. GETTIN MAD ABOUT RECORDS! :argh:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

beergod posted:

What is the consensus on last year's Beatles stereo box set?

I was told to wait until the mono version. Too many bad reviews about poor quality and it being pretty difficult to get a full box set without at least one record having issues.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Has anyone had a friend come up and say "Hey, I found these and thought of you" and then handed you some Herb Alpert records? I know I'm not the only one. Surprisingly, Whipped Cream wasn't one of them but I did get a duplicate but it's in better shape than the one I have. The school my friend works at has a library full of records that nobody ever uses. I told him to dig through the jazz section at least and skip the country and musicals. I really can't see why some grade schoolers would ever dig through the vinyl section during their library period.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I wouldn't get one of the 5x5 expedits unless I was filling the entire thing with records, and then I would be a bit worried. Granted, I hacked two 4x2 and two 2x2 expedits into a standing desk and that thing has been pretty awesome for about a year, even with me leaning on it and it holding a 27" imac and a 24" monitor, plus another 22" monitor. They're pretty sturdy as long as you build them right and in my desk's case, fasten the parts together with good brackets. Even my 5x2 laying on it's side has been holding my 55" tv plus all my records in the cubbies pretty well for quite some time. They really are the bee's knees when it comes to simple and cheap furniture/storage.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 24, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

It's Summer time. If only I could take all of my records outside in the heat and sun to listen to them by the pool and/or BBQ pit.

http://www.insound.com/stuff-we-like/swl_ind.php?id=1070

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I started to organize alphabetically but realized I didn't want certain things mixed. For instance, in my expedit, I have a square that holds all of the beat up old dad rock that I stole from my parents. It's in no order. In another box, I have new stuff I've purchased of bands that I have multiple albums of. Another box hold new stuff from bands that I only have a single album. Some of that is a clump of releases from a certain label.

My poo poo doesn't make any sense really but at least I have a general idea where something would be. I should alpha them but I'd rather not have all that dad rock mixed because honestly, I don't really know everything I have in the dept. and I wouldn't even come across it unless I knew what I was looking for.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

There was a guy in SA mart that was selling off his vinyl collection and his list noted the condition and amount of plays each record had. Apparently, he bought the LP, ripped it to his computer and then shelved it, never to play again. I guess he was one of those people that bought vinyl for the quality and then only listened to the WAV recordings after. I don't get that personally, but I got a great condition Little Dragon record from him. So jealous of the person that bought his Cornelius collection.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

You would wrap the ground wire around that terminal. Receiver should have had a nut or cap on that terminal to tighten. I think that's how it works.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The paper sleeve always somehow catches on the tiny piece of overlap cardboard where it glues itself together inside the jacket. That drives me nuts. Part of the reason why I haven't plastic outer sleeved my collection is it's just another step to putting stuff away or getting the record out. If I ever do get around to plastic outer sleeving everything, I'll probably start storing the records outside of the jacket.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yamantaka//Sonic Titan - YT/ST is getting a re-issue on white vinyl.

Get it, because it's amazing.

I bought this record because of this thread. Thought the album art was cool and decided to give it a listen. One of the best suggestion purchases I've ever made.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

CPL593H posted:

So I guess the United States finally has an answer to Death Waltz.

http://waxworkrecords.com/

So far they only have two planned releases, but if they're actually any good they might take off like Death Waltz did. At any rate, someone needs the release a loving soundtrack album for Beyond the Black Rainbow. At this point I'd settle for a goddamn CD.

I always wondered why that movie didn't have an available soundtrack.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I've got my setup on a 2X4 Ikea Expedit turned on its side like a "credenza/console" with the cubes full of vinyl and the receiver and turntable on top of it side by side. It's been quite sturdy and I haven't felt like I've needed to worry about it collapsing or catastrophically failing at any point (knock on particleboard). The thing is- I'm planning to move my current Nakamichi receiver (weight ~19 lbs) to the bedroom and replace it with a monster 1970's Yamaha that's about twice its size (and more than double the weight at 45-50 lbs). I'm pretty scared about overloading the Expedit (particularly since it's sideways so the it's arguably not in ideal weight-bearing orientation). I understand that it's "only" an addition of 25 lbs but it'd be concentrated in one area.

Does anyone have any experience putting *particularly* heavy equipment or concentrating weight on top of a horizontal Expedit in that way? How grounded are my fears? I've got the receiver all set to go and I must put it in its rightful place- the Expedit is literally the only thing holding me back right now.

It's solid. I have all of my game consoles, cable box, 3 cubes of records, etc and a 55" Plasma on top. It's not going anywhere. You'll be fine.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

shmee posted:

Due to having a load of things more important to spend money on or save money for than records, I have been spending money on records the past couple of days.

I love that Cornelius album. It seems everything I want to own on vinyl recently is extremely expensive. I'm sorry, I just can't spend $70+ on an album just because it is no longer in print. Where did you get that for $4?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

lil mortimer posted:

It looks like he/she might live in Japan. That was my uneducated guess when I first read the post. I'd really love Point on vinyl. I'm swearing off eBay. Too many people selling garbage for way too much money. Anyone else avoid buying vinyl online?

My latest purchase:

The Crying Princess:78 rpm Records From Burma

I also just got Amon Duul II Wolf City & Circus in Babylon. Oh yeah, and this sweet album:

Pretty pleased.

I figured they probably live in Japan. Looks like a discogs seller has one for $32.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Move over Record Store Day! Get out your boomboxes and stereo shelf units for CASSETTE STORE DAY! http://cassettestoreday.com/

Can't wait until they rerelease Rumors on the glorious cassette medium!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I feel the same way about CDs as I do about cassettes. I just don't ever have a need to put a CD into a player or car anymore.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I personally don't see anything wrong with buying old cassette tapes for .25 if that's your thing and you have a tape deck and the space to store your cassettes. I will agree that even for punk bands, it would just make a lot more sense to burn CDs because you can definitely count on your fans having access to a CD drive over a tape deck. It would make a lot of sense for a broke band back in the 90s to record their demos over old cassettes to save money but in 2013, it just seems weird, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Cassette Store Day on the other hand is loving ridiculous. Why would anyone other than collectors grabbing every format available for a release be interested in spending between $20 and $30 for a loving cassette? I seriously hope it's a massive failure. Trying to bring back cassettes as a music medium is pretty dumb. They really don't hold any positives over any other music medium.

I'm personally waiting for Minidisc Store Day :colbert:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Most of the time when I see records being sold in stores other than dedicated music stores, it's nothing you'd be too interested in buying. "Oh hey, Best Buy sells vinyl in store, let's see what they... oh, tons of Hendrix reissues and poo poo like Sublime". I think that's what I hate the most about vinyl showing up in mainstream outlets. It's always the most predictable classic rock reissues and some friend that you're with that doesn't collect records grabs every recognizable reissue and holds it up and says "Hey, you want The Doors?".

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

So the new St. Vincent album is up for pre-order. The limited LP and 12" seems like something I'd want but it's like $32. Then I looked at the shipping... $15 for Priority Mail. :negative: Sorry, but I'm not dropping $50 for this. I'll wait until Amazon has a listing for it and just buy vanilla LP.

Anyone know why Topspin charges so much for shipping?

Here's the link if anyone's interested.
http://ilovestvincent.com/preorder/

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

That Wolf Parade album is excellent and if you hate it, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I remember researching types of CDs and I think even pressed discs eventually die. Burned CDs die much faster.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

caligulamprey posted:

Nice! Back in print on November 17th. I hope more reissues are on the way after switching to ATO (c'mon Chocolate and Cheese 30th Anniversary repress!)

thanks for the impulse pre-order.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

bagina posted:

FYI The Sound of Vinyl is having a flat 30% sale. Grabbed a couple things that I was waiting for a sale.

Thanks for the heads up. Found a nice xmas gift as well as a couple records I've been wanting to pick up and are now justifiable with the discount.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

In the last few weeks with xmas presents and sales, my wife and I have obtained the following:

Modest Mouse: Moon and Antarctica
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever
Beck: Colors
Beck: Sea Change
Beck: Mutations
King Gizzard: Nonagon Infinity
Caribou: Andorra
Ogre You rear end in a top hat: Outside the House

This is what happens when I unbox my collection again.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

thathonkey posted:

nice how much did you get this for if you dont mind me asking? is there a recent reissue? i have a copy in my discogs cart but its $45 :ohdear: i couldnt find it at any of my local shops

I think I got it on amazon for around $30. Pretty sure it's a reissue. drat, I forgot. I also snagged Beach Boys Pet Sounds off Sound of Vinyl during their sale.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

i'm committing felonies by running my player through a bluetooth speaker. i used to have a receiver and speaker set up i swear.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone had any luck getting Sound of Vinyl to respond to return requests? One of my records came with two very noticeable scratches that have audible pops as well as some warping. Not happy.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

An update to my Sound of Vinyl journey. They've sent me an email regarding my order but are saying that a another record in my order (not the defetive one) is out of stock so they are refunding me. It was more expensive so I guess I'll just take the refund.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Enos Cabell posted:

Achilles surgery has kept me from hitting up any record shops for the past month+, so here's new stuff I've got in the mail recently.

Hoping to pick up some more Ty Segall stuff at his show in a few months.

Great spread of good stuff. I really like that Thee Oh Sees/Osees album even if it's not their best. I just appreciate the dip into Devo territory.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks! I've just started dipping my toes into Oh Sees within the past year or so, what are some of your fave albums?

A Weird Exits and Orc were probably my favorite records for years as that's when I really got into them but I go through phases of listening to their early stuff. Lately I've been playing Face Stabber and Smote Reverser on repeat.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm looking to replace my 10+ yr old expedit shelving unit that I'm using for record storage and my player. Is there a new (non ikea) favorite among collectors? I love the expedit and kalax units for their utility but they are not great to look at. I've been looking at shelving an cabinet style options but haven't found anything great yet.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I want a sound burger but no idea how I would use it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

but i already have one those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

strap on revenge posted:

does anyone here listen to Black Moth Super Rainbow, and if so, did anyone buy a copy of Start a People? I only just found out they pressed it earlier this year, it's sold out everywhere, and I'm sad about it. I have a spare copy of Dandelion Gum on pink vinyl and would be keen to do a swap if that interests someone in the thread who has it?

I used to buy their releases back in the day but didn't see about this one coming out. When they re-released House of Apples and Eyeballs I was all over that. Let me know if you wanna part with that Dandelion Gum record.