Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I have a German (I think) bootleg that features every track from GBMS performed live at various events. It's pretty cool and it only cost about 18 dollars.

Yeah, I've seen that for cheap as well. This is just literally the album printed on coloured vinyl.

It does not sound as bad as you'd think but still. 'twas a gift v :D v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I was seriously considering it.

On a totally different note, an indie label called Joyful Noise Recordings (they put out weird novelty items like oF Montreal and Dinosaur Jr. cassettes) is doing a record of the month club where they'll issue flexi discs with songs exclusive to each release. Every disc is limited to 500. Truth be told I've not heard of half the bands on the list, but it's only $5.75 (shipped) a month so I figured why not. If you pay an extra 20 bucks for the first month, they send you a special hand numbered and decorated wooden box to hold the discs. I figured the folks here would be interested to know this because it's a pretty unique offer and a few of the bands on the list for these singles get name dropped here now and again.

That's awesome. Thanks for bringing it up.

Deerhoof and Make Believe both contribute? I'm so in.

Also, the box artwork is done by this guy so I'm totally getting it too.

Oh, by the way, you can sign up here:
http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/

Here's some more info for interested parties:

Joyful Noise Recordings posted:

Joyful Noise is very pleased to announce the 2012 Flexi Disc Series! This $4 monthly subscription features new exclusive recordings from 12 of our favorite artists making music today, each limited to just 500 copies on single-sided flexi discs.

WTF is a Flexi Disc?
In case you are unfamiliar, a Flexi Disc is essentially a thin, single-sided vinyl record which is flexible (hence the name), and rather obscure. However it is playable on any standard turntable. Back in the day flexis were often packaged inside magazines and even in cereal boxes.

Beginning this January, the Joyful Noise 2012 Flexi Disc Series will feature a different artist each month for the duration of the year. All of the releases will be limited to 500 copies on single-sided clear flexi discs. Digital will NOT be made available. That's right, these songs will only be available on these 500 physical units. All of the songs featured in the series are 100% new and unreleased and will never be released in any other format. So kiddies, there isn't even a chance you already have this in your iTunes... Literally the only way you will hear these songs is to sign up for the subscription.

Here are the 12 bands featured on the 2012 Flexi Disc Series (in alphabetical order): Akron/Family, Danielson, Dead Rider (ex US Maple), Deerhoof, Jad Fair (Half Japanese), Lou Barlow (Sebadoh/Dinosaur Jr.), Make Believe (ex Cap'n Jazz/Owls/Joan of Arc), of Montreal, Racebannon, Rafter, Richard Swift, and Tortoise.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just remember to take a break from buying and take your time listening every once in a while. It's easy to buy up more poo poo than you can ever hope to listen to - especially second-hand.

Don't listen to this guy. Hoard. Hoard your rear end off, because at the end of your life you'll be judged by the amount of poo poo you've managed to collect over your lifetime.

It's how you win. At life.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Slightly off topic but does anyone know how a European such as myself can file a complaint against a webshop? BurntToastVinyl has been screwing around with me for months and I'm fed up.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Never trust a website who's color palate is entirely 80s pastels.

Their site looked different when I ordered :smith:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chime_on posted:

Who exactly are you looking to file a complaint with? If you bought something from them and they didn't ship it or something like that, reverse the charges with your credit card provider.

Paid with paypal and they kept me busy long enough so I'm powerless about complaining. I'm just gonna keep bothering them. Like an imp.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

theradiostillsucks posted:

Are you in Italy? If so, I feel for you somewhat because your postal service is the worst.

Oh god no. It's just this site giving me the roundabout.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dmitri-9 posted:

Did you pay with a credit card using paypal as a payment processor or did you use a paypal account balance? If you do a chargeback on paypal you'll get your money back and they will take the money from the vendor automatically.

Paypal balance. So I can't chargeback.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Third Man Records Vault packages are always sent without bubble wrap or anything. I'm always surprised that they're not ruined when they arrive here in Europe.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I listen to all my vinyl through my phone's speakers. It's the only way to achieve sonic perfection.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

The ideal setup is to place your phone next to the stereo system and listen to the music through your other phone that you have called from the first phone, from a distance of about 100 metres. It adds tremendous depth to the sound stage.

I only listen to music recorded on an Edison cylinder :colbert:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just look at phonautograms and deduce the music. (I would collect the poo poo out of Edison cylinders if I ever saw them. I guess They'd be out of my price range, though.)

Me too :ssh: Those things are cool as hell.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
RECORDS!

Got Bear In Heaven - Beast Rest Forth Mouth on red vinyl because it's a fantastic album.
Also got my hands a clear vinyl copy of Starfucker - Reptilian by sheer luck from Discogs. Cheap too! Terrific album.

Finally bought Gareth Liddiard - Strange Tourist who is my favorite artist so it's about time I got the vinyl release seeing as it's been out for over a year. Incredibly moving acoustic songs.
Totally related to that is The Drones - A Thousand Mistakes which is his band. This is a live compilation album that somehow chooses to include neither Jezebel nor The City, my two favorite songs :argh:

Managed to get Electric Six - Heartbeats And Brainwaves, a tour only vinyl release of their latest album. Had to pay 50 bucks for it seeing as there's no way I'd get it any other way. Worth every penny though. Love this album.
Also got The Ivory Coast - Clouds. Why? It had a couple of good songs and was/is a whopping $3.60 on Polyvinyl records. It's pretty good, actually. Definitely 4 bucks good.

One of my favorite albums of this year, Blessed Feathers - From The Mouths Of The Middle Class, came on limited to 500 copies white vinyl with a poster and the album on cd. Rockin'. Unlike the music which is beautiful and sweet.
Last but not least, Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica. Stunning album, but I'm pissed off that I got the second pressing on black vinyl (which I didn't know existed) instead of the limited white vinyl edition.
I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl V :) V

Now what's keeping my NMH boxset!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Ah, I thought it would've came in some fancy box.

Cover of the box:

Fancy side:

Sticker on the back:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
PolyVinyl Records has a few more copies of the Out of Print coloured vinyl editions of Starfucker - Reptilians and Vivian Girls - Share The Joy back in stock.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cheese eats mouse posted:

What are you all using to protect your box sets?

I'm ashamed to say I use my box sets to protect my vinyl. No more. :ohdear:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

My wife bought me a subscription to the GraveFace record club for my birthday. As some of you already know, I'm a fan of the label, so I'm supposed to receive the next 10 releases from the label as they are released. Even if I'm not a huge fan of every band on the label, what an awesome gift that keeps giving.

This is a great gift even if I do feel the same way about most of the label's bands. That's awesome though. And darn thoughtful.

Can't wait to buy the next Radiohead album on cylinder.

In other news, I ordered this and now I feel suitably dirty.

I know, vidjagame music but the original music does have some nostalgic value from when I was 13 and still had time to play videogames. :unsmith:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Socket Ryanist posted:

I was expecting mega man or sonic the hedgehog. I feel old.

Mega Man and Sonic would've been sweet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I know that on the Liars album They Threw Us In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top the last song just keeps looping the final part endlessly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can understand the hate, but come on. Is wanting a nice big copy of your favorite album's cover art displayed on your wall really such a crime?

My first vinyl purchase was a vintage copy of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. That's a pretty hipster purchase (even though this was way before it became a 'thing' but regardless) and the reason I bought it was because vinyl, more than a cassette or cd, made me feel like I owned the music. Because of the size and the feel of it.

A couple of days later I bought an actual record player, but I can totally see people collecting records without the craving for audio fidelity.

Also, at least they're contributing to vinyl sales v :shobon: v

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
These two came in today:

Starfucker - Jupiter, an expanded re-issue of their EP, on OXBLOOD RED :black101: and limited to a whopping 90 copies. Great music.

And, can't believe I bought it, this thing:

In my defense, it's worth it just for this song.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

I'm kind of interested in both, but more torn on the Halo Soundtrack. I know the music was great, but I've never thought that it was something incredible. Maybe the fact that I thought moments in Halo CE were awesome is a testament to the soundtracks power cause I don't really remember too many songs from it.

Yeah, I thought I'd recognize one or two songs but when I put it on a whole lot of it was instantly familiar. Halo CE had a killer soundtrack. These re-done songs are really good, although not necessarily better than the originals.

Admittedly, I really have it mostly for novelty's sake.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Portland nerds will recognize the places, the rest of you will recognize the feelings (its not really funny, but some of it made me laugh out loud)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jJHSS2UZs

"Black vinyl?!" :flame:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

alg posted:

Jeff the B rarities vinyl up now if there are any left:

http://infinitycat.com/wordpress/products-page/vinyl-categories/jeff-the-brotherhood-brotherhood-of-light-pre-sale

100 pressed on coke bottle green

Aww, it was gone in a second.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

alg posted:

Yeah, their site crashed initially. Took them about 40 mins to get it back up, then I went in and got mine pretty easily. Sorry you missed it :(

edit: http://infinitycat.com/wordpress/archives/1336 looks like they will have black ones up next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jJHSS2UZs#t=02m17s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Crimson Sox posted:

I know there are a lot of Lips fans here so here you go

Heady Nuggs Compilation for $74 and free shipping

Use discount coupon of FACEBOOK10 for additional 10% off as well.

You know, after Warner Brothers screwed me out of a coloured vinyl set I sorta vowed not to buy Heady Nuggs. But for 55 Euros? Sold.

Thanks man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dumbledore 64 posted:

Stupid cheap shipping as well (for Canadians at least) :O

8 bucks shipping for Europeans as well, and with the 10% discount it's basically free shipping.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Artists making albums instead of just making songs is why we have so much lovely music on records. This was the case even before CDs.

I could not disagree with you more.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Either of you order the box?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Didn't Radiohead put out one of their albums for free a few years ago and it ended up selling really well after that?

Radiohead is really well known though. This system wouldn't necessarily work for smaller, unknown bands.

(having said that, some of my favorite albums of late have been one of those 'pay-what-you-want' type deals. Lookbook's Wild at Heart, Decibully's self-titled, Blessed Feathers' From The Mouthes Of The Middle Class, etc)

CPL593H posted:

So could people just say they only wanted to pay a penny, or pay zero dollars?

They could pay zero dollars. So yes, they put it up for free.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Their status as a big name group is exactly why I made an example of them. The record companies are doing stupid things as a knee jerk response to people downloading poo poo on the internet. Meanwhile, here's a top selling group who found a way to actually work with the current culture of downloading and actually make some money. It's almost as if you can get people to buy poo poo if you don't pre-emptively treat your potential customers like common criminals.

See also that Louis CK show just recently.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Don't you love going through your records and finding poo poo you can't remember buying... and then wondering why you bought it? For instance, I found a Weird Al promo 12" for White and Nerdy... and I don't know why.

What? Why not?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Because some people are just dead inside. I met Weird Al after a concert and he signed my UHF DVD. He's a really nice guy. He also looks freakishly young.

He came to Europe once. For a show in Amsterdam. And I couldn't go.

Seriously, I regret that so much. I grew up with that guy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That Joyful Noise flexi-disc subscription is really classy. Glad I signed up for it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm on track to getting every Deerhoof record but to be a completist, I'll need to buy up all of these collaboration 7in records they've been putting out. I bought one with Xiu Xiu and it didn't get more than 1 listen from me.

That's a killer collaboration (as in, they used/sang each others songs) so I don't get this at all :colbert:

In fact, the new Xiu Xiu album was going to be like that when Zac Pennington (of Parenthetical Girls) and Sam Mickens (of The Dead Science) joined Xiu Xiu: All three of them (well, four with Angela Seo) singing and writing, but that fell through after they apparently had a large falling out after a recent tour together, prompting Zac and Sam to leave the band (quietly, with only a single tweet saying they left the band between them). Supposedly this was after the completion of the album, but after they left they wanted their part in the album (singing, perhaps some of the songs) taken off the record.

The new Xiu Xiu album sounds like Jamie Stewart and Angela Seo made new versions of the songs they'd made as a four piece band and it kinda shows. Which sucks because that Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu collab had that song where all four of them sang and it was brilliant. I love that song.

What could've been :(

I really want to make a Xiu Xiu thread for the new album, but I don't think there's enough interest.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Oops, I should have explained that it only got one listen out of me because I'm not a big fan of 7"s and I can't be bothered to put one on due to the need to flip it/change it every 3 mins. The song is good. I'll probably end up buying them but for me to buy them and put them in a box and rarely listening to them is weird but I guess that's part of collecting.

I feel the same way. I've got a lot of Xiu Xiu 7" splits and I've only listened to them once or maybe twice. Which is a shame because I'm sure the songs would grow on me were it not for the fact that... well, as you said. 7" singles are a nuisance to me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I've got a few extra bucks laying around and I'm probably going to get one of these:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/walker-audio-proscenium-black-diamond-turntable-III-vinyl-lp-turntables.shtml

Looks good. I'll go raid the couch and the small compartments in my car.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, I completely forgot that I found a online store that sold the red vinyl edition of Wild Nothing - Gemini and I waited to long to pull the trigger on it. Now it's gone and I'll never get an affordable copy.

That's a drat shame :(

Well, hellooooo lone copy on GEMM. I'll consider the more expensive shipping costs a $5 idiot tax.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

trdn89 posted:

I had a spare copy of the clear version of that record, but it was the only record to get destroyed when my shelves collapsed :(

I retract my earlier 'drat shame' to apply it here:

That's a drat shame :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
You know, I come across so many soundtracks. Heaps upon heaps of soundtracks for the crappiest films ever made.

Yet there's never been a vinyl release of the two French Connection soundtracks. What the hell, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Anyone have any experience with buying vinyl from amazon as far as packaging? I've fallen in love with some albums lately and want to buy them and have a bunch of gift cards to amazon. I know this has been answered here before but jesus, I can't find it.

Had some vinyl shipped from the US to Europe. Shipping was pretty cheap and the box was hugely oversized and filled to the brim with those air pocket things.

All in all, really good.

BUT they have changed it since with their self-designed vinyl packaging which I have not yet had experience which.

So all in all, this was a rather useless post.