Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

my turn in the barrel posted:

It's garage sale season again in the Midwest.

Yesterday I was driving past the garage sale and it looked like absolute junk and I almost didn't stop but I saw a small stack of records on top of a breakfast in bed table so I figured I'd stop.

At the bottom of the stack I found original pressings of Tracy Chapman and Price 1999. The seller said two bucks a record so the Smokey Robinson and Perry White albums were just impulse buys.

Still kind of blown away, I've never seen the Tracey Chapman album in the wild before and have been looking for several years. Of course now that I find one they announced they're going to repress it due to the songs recent resurgence in popularity due to the Luke Combs cover and Grammys duet performance.

https://imgur.com/h2G85YT

Is that a framed BAD picture disc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Yes it was a framed bad picture disc, I didn't ask how much they wanted for it because I only really collect records to play versus to display.

Haha. Yeah. I mean you can play it but they usually sound kinda crappy. I woulda bought it and tossed the frame. (if it was under $5)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

It was down the street from my house so I just stopped back today after lunch and asked. They want $50 😂

Haha drat. ItS a CollEcTor'S iTEm!

Speaking of collectors items. Had my old DJ crew over and we recorded a bunch of 7" sets for 45 Day. Tons of fun. Everyone brought a unique set and I think we might be reuniting more often for stuff.

https://www.mixcloud.com/3mdjcollective/

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Accidentally ended up doing two vinyl shows at the radio station.

1st one didn't turn out too well because of technical issues. This is the Redux.

The Time is some good poo poo. Might have to personally go down a rabbit hole of all these Paisley Park offshoots.

One thing I don't miss is hauling my crates down to the station only to have technical difficulties. Or even worse get to the studio and the rest of the building (warehouse artspaces) had turned into a rave for the night haha.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Friend posted:

Hey vinyl thread, I'm hoping y'all can give me some guidance. My mom gave me a record of her father doing an interview on the local radio in 1951, a month before he died in the Korean war.

She wants me to get it digitized, which I assume would be best done by a professional, but the record looks pretty rough from fingerprints and age and whatever else. I know there are plenty of cleaning kits and techniques, but they're all for mass-produced records, and since this looks like it was made in the radio station and is so important, I really don't want to gently caress it up by using something that scratches it or accidently melts it because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not above paying someone to clean it professionally, but before I take it to the local record store, does anyone know about this type of record, and if there's anything I need to keep in mind re: restoring it? I'm pretty lost and I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thats not a vinyl record. This might be applicable. But yeah. Maybe seek a professional.
https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/cleaning-discs

Aaand... last night I decided to finally throw down a little country set for 45 Day. Classic country and honky tonk 7s. Some rarities in there that I acquired from Frank the Drifter at https://www.mixcloud.com/DollarCountry/ Dude puts on an amazing show. Highly recommend if you like crispy records.

Here is my thing.
https://www.mixcloud.com/3mdjcollective/pete-moss-country-mix-for-45-day-2024/

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

There is this little hole in the wall record store that I pass all the time and for whatever reason I have never gone in. Happened to drive by yesterday and he was having a $1 sidewalk sale so I stopped in and bought some soul 45's. I regretted not buying more. Went back today and he had changed it to 10 for $1 and all of the stuff I regretted not buying was still there. Haha. So now I have 100 45's to listen to. Nothing too crazy so far but a good stack of James Brown, some Philly soul, and Stax stuff. A lot of poo poo I just grabbed because the label looked cool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

Jump Jump is oooooold Portland. Daniel is a great guy and has heat. He ran the old Night Owl record show and runs the new the Record Hawk show in town. If you call ahead he usually will let you dig in there. If I remember correctly Quest Love said this was his favorite record store in the world.

Yeah. He said to come back and check out his 45's some time.

pwn posted:

Never gonna run out of Moss Appeals :woop:

Truth

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

This was in that big stack of 45's I'm currently going through.

Pretty sure it is an acetate. I assumed they would just be someone covering the songs but although the sound quality is pretty poo poo they seem to be the original recordings. I would assume making these would cost more than going down and buying the 45 so why would someone put these songs on acetate? Was home acetate recording killing the record industry before tape came along?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

Lots of reasons for acetate for records that old it is probably a pressing master or a test cut before the master is cut.

They are also used a lot for short run bootlegs or even those old school song booths.

Looking at that record I would guess song booth or test cut. In my experience the master cut records for 45s are on 10 inch metal disks covered in acetate.

You will also see them a lot in the reggae and early ska scene too.

Yeah. I was expecting a songbooth record but I'm pretty sure it's The Platters on one side and Little Richard on the other. It's a 7" 45 so maybe it is just a weird bootleg master for jukeboxes? One of those "Double Hitter" records. I dunno. It's kinda neat but it sounds like poo poo and I doubt its worth anything so probably going in the discard pile.

A friend of mine has been asking me to come over and take a look at a bunch of 7"s he acquired and I finally went to check it out. Probably about 1000 records. Tons of unsleeved of course. About 80% Easy Listening/Big Band stuff (Jackie Gleason and stuff like that) Then a random Ice T Colors or a Johnny Cash American 45 mixed in. Some stuff of note. A small stack of Spanish imports, Bruce Springsteen singles like this one https://www.discogs.com/release/4995226-Bruce-Springsteen-Im-On-Fire and Joe Jackson https://www.discogs.com/release/2813893-Joe-Jackson-Sale-Realmente-Ella-Con-El. A couple Wipers singles that he is definitely keeping and this box of Duke Records 45's (Maybe 150 or so)

Also a poo poo ton of Epic records from all genres. There are some ok things scattered in but he's kinda looking to me for some advice. I told him to throw away or donate the unsleeved for sure. I really don't think that most of this collection is worth the effort to sell other than the few things I pointed out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh. look what I found. Patron Saint of the thread.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

I might have that top one, is there a song about Baton Rouge on the other side? Can't look as that one is part of the pile at my parents house still.

Much to Young to Feel This drat Old is the other side. I somehow have 4 Garth Brooks 45s right now. I hate Garth Brooks haha.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I don't! Hmu if you'd love to get rid of em.

Awesome. Two of them aren't technically mine so I'll have to ask but I'll just send them to ya for the cost of shipping. I'll pm you later this week. I kinda forget that the 45 jukeboxes were still very much in effect in the mid 90's early 2000's.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

lament.cfg posted:

I bought this because Steve Albini died

This isn't the meme thread.

Also gently caress that sucks dude was only 61.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

I always feel like an rear end in a top hat pulling out my phone to check discogs in a shop, because I don't want to look like a flipper scumbag. My poo poo rear end memory pretty much necessitates it though, I've bought too many duplicate albums not to.

Yeah. I use it to check if I have something or my want list and I will check going prices. If the shop is asking $10 more that the record is going for online I want to know. I think it's pretty obvious from the random stuff that I buy that I'm not a flipper