Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skavoovee posted:

My girlfriend got me this for my birthday :D

It's not an original, but I don't really mind that as I don't even know if people sell those. Now that I have this and "Shaggs Own Thing", I need to pick up that Deerhoof 7" to "complete" my collection.

Your girlfriend sounds like the best girlfriend. Also, as far as I know the original pressings of this were made in a pretty low quantity and most were destroyed because the Wiggin sisters' dad owed money to who ever helped them make this record. This reissue is how most people have heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anybody know if the soundtrack from The Book of Mormon is going to be on vinyl? I did a quick google search and I turned up someone selling a multidisc set of some one reading from the actual book of mormon(which I guess would be interesting from the kitsch factor if I found that for very cheap), but nothing from the play.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 12, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

I also got this amazing thing:

Haven't listened to it yet though.

Oh man. That's awesome. Does Deniro sing on this? Did he really play the saxophone or was that just for the cover? It raises so many questions. I want it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HKR posted:

stuff

You seem like a guy who would know this. What's a good place to start with the B-52s? Is it best to just go in order?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

77 cents at Goodwill here :colbert:. Unfortunately, it's usually a very small selection and it's on the other side of town. Got Tommy (1975 reissue) there last time, though.

It is a 1975 reissue of the 1969 Who album or the soundtrack from the movie? If it's the latter you paid 77 cents too much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Actually some of us enjoy the Tina Turner version of Acid Queen and the Elton John Version of Pinball Wizard, thank you very much...

I will admit I kind of like these.

But then there's also the version of Amazing Journey/Sparks with lovely disco sounding instrumentals and the genuinely disturbing Keith Moon rendition of Fiddle About.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've only ever encountered two kinds of record store guys. They are:

1)Old dude who knows waaaay too much about 60s garage/psych

2)Hipster guy

I have never seen a record store lady.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SupahDren posted:

Hey sorry, rear end in a top hat question: I'm getting into vinyl more and more for various reasons, maybe I'm just a douchebag, who knows...anyway, I would like some advice on getting a serious turntable. My current solution is great, but maybe it's time to do this for real. I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and a Pro-Ject Debut III. Within the former, there seem to be about 200 options over the last 30 years. Which 1200 do you guys recommend, if you don't mind sharing? Also, how would you compare these vs the pro-ject, or would you recommend something else entirely? I know this is vaguely answered in the first post, but if we can't be neurotic and stuff why are we in the vinyl thread?!! Thanks.

I think the answer to this question is going to depend a lot on the personal preferences of whoever answers it. Honeslty they're both good solid choices. And due to the wide popularity of each of those turntables there's a good chance you can pick up a used one for way cheaper (more so with the 1200, though).

I will second what HKR said in that you're going to want to ditch the stock cart in either case. Which is yet another thing you'll have to consider. And once again everyone will have their own preference. Right now I have an Audio Technica AT440MLa cart and I really like it. Although, the one drawback is that the replacement stylus costs almost as much as the cart itself. So it may not be cost effective.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

You don't know me, do you?

:ssh:

I can't check you off the list until I've actually seen you behind the counter in a record store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Not an Anthem posted:

Get the technics don't even think twice.

Types of record store clerks:

1) Assholes. Usually owners. Can be assholes because they own the records.

2) Assholes. Usually clerks. Have no reason for being assholes. Hope they get fired.

3) Cool people who are too friendly. I make them tapes of rare stuff I buy that they want.

4) Not cool people who are too friendly. gently caress off.

5) Assholes.

Not giving them a bad rap but 90% are terrible people and the rest are too nice. I wish I could buy records out of a vending machine. Mabye I'm the problem.

edit- women are way better clerks than men, know fewer, but less talky.

I've encountered plenty of rear end in a top hat owners/clerks because it just seems the nature of the business. Funny enough the assholes always get a lot more friendly when they see how much money I'm about to spend. Even though sometimes the people are dicks I would never want to eliminate the human interaction part of it. I really enjoy the discussions I have with record store people. Although I guess much of that is due to the fact that none of my friends are into vinyl and several of them give me a whole ration of poo poo for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

One is owned by black people, and is just like an expanded goodwill bin.

I know what you mean. I always make a point of stayin outta them there negro record shops, I tell you what. Half the time they ain't sellin nothin but that jungle music they all listen to! :bahgawd:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Are you being sarcastic or are you just this racist? What the hell

I was being sarcastic because I thought it was a bit odd that he had to point out that a lovely record shop was owned by black people. It came off as a bit racist. I figured the emoticon with the fist waving hillbilly would make that clear.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I picked up a couple Miles Davis LPs today. Tribute to Jack Johnson for 5bux and Live-Evil for 15. However I'm not that seasoned, so can anyone tell me the deal with Quadrophonic LPs? Live-Evil is one, and I'm curious if that's a good or bad thing.

They were a precursor to surround sound. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they never really took off. Probably because it required you to have four speakers at a time when people generally didn't. I've never actually listened to one so I can't tell you how they sound. I haven't really come across them too often so it's a cool thing to find at the very least.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

Just when I was about done with garage sales today I finally found some stuff. None of the covers are in great shape, but for most the vinyl was fine

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat (had a big line through side 2 but sounds fine)
Kronos Quartet - Kronos Quartet (sealed)
Eubie Blake - Blues & Rags
Lightnin' Hopkins - the best of
Mike Batt - Six Days in Berlin
Mike Heron - Smiling Me with bad Reputations
Mothers of Invention - Ruben & the Jets
Taj Mahal - Giant Step/Olde Folks at Home
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
"" - Between the Buttons
"" - Beggars Banquet
Country Joe and the Fish - I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die

....for 50 cents apiece

I need to start going to more yard sales. That's a drat good haul. And Brian Jones era Stones are the best Stones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

What's the consensus on promo records? I was down in St.Paul this week visiting for the NHL Draft and went to a "Cheapos". Not much of a metal selection but I found Queen's self titled debut for $15. Radio copy only with a list of suggested songs to play. Nice record too -- Queen logo is embossed. Plus this album rules and not a lot of people know that Queen isn't just a bunch of bullshit sports anthem hits.

This is pretty much why I never got into Queen, I guess I've really only heard the radio songs and sports game poo poo. But then I saw Flash Gordon and decided that I must own the soundtrack to that movie. I've yet to come across a copy, but then again I've been holding off buying any music for a while. I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to find.

Tiny Faye posted:

Most used record shops don't care about selling them even though technically they shouldn't. As a buyer I try to avoid them because more often than not whatever track was the single or most popular tends to be worn to poo poo even if the rest of the record looks and sounds ok.

I always suspected this was the case but I've only ever bought a few promo copies and in those cases I had no issues.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 30, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

No, not the label, the playing surface! I received a crate of records that looked like this.

They were free, but still, radio is a hard life for records.

What kind of sick degenerate would do a thing like this?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Vinyl Engine forums are great because if you ask something, a guy with a moustache and an intense stare will always answer (usually something very useful). Except if you ask something about Technics SL-1200s, in which case the moustache guy will also answer but then you'll get 10 pages of flamewars.

What the hell's so controversial about 1200s?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Old people hate them.

Old people hate everything. gently caress 'em.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

If you can get past the huge amount of awful, awful audiophiles on that forum, there is occasionally some good advice to be had. And yeah don't talk about a 1200 or the rubber band boys will be out in force.

I get it now. It's because audiophiles think direct drive is worse than the holocaust. "The motor is too close to the media and it produces an audible hum!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigHustle posted:

Guys, How do I get chocolate off my needle?

Holy poo poo, that is the worst idea.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Charred Bronson" posted:

Then I landed on the ATLP120, which I guess LOOKS like a 1200, but is way cheaper. Not being an audiophile in any sense of the word, and being the type of person that will likely only listen to the odd 7" or special edition only available on vinyl, am I really going to notice much of a difference? I'd just be hooking the thing up to a Pioneer 1018AH-K, which is more of a home theater unit than anything, and have no plans of ever messing with an analog unit.

It's a pretty good entry level table and if you're just going to use it casually I'd recommend it. I actually own this turntable and I've never had any major complaints. I did however replace the cart it comes with with an AT440MLa. The cart they give you uses some pretty heavy tracking force. But it's totally up to you if that's going to be a problem. A heavier tracking force means more wear and tear on your records. Don't expect it to be the same quality as a genuine Technics 1200, because it's not. But for the price it's probably your best option. Most tables I've seen in the same price range as the ATLP120 are total poo poo.

fozzie dunlop posted:

I've got one of these and it works really well all-around. It's sort of like the Squier to the 1200's Fender in that the budget variant works almost as well as the higher-priced original, and you'll only notice its shortcomings if you care way too much about pristine audio quality. It's a really solid option for a manageable price, although it helps if you find yours on the street :whatup:

That's a good way of putting it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is anyone here a Third Man Records Vault Club member? If you are, are you still waiting on the recent package? Because I am and I don't remember it ever taking this long. I'm starting to worry that evil mail goblins snuck into the post office somewhere along the line and ate mine. It figures that this would happen for the package that I consider to be the best yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm pretty sure they only started shipping the packages a week ago. They have a blog post about it, if I recall correctly.

I guess that makes sense. In the past they've usually gotten these out sooner. Maybe membership has increased. Do you happend to know where they posted that? I looked in the usual place and it never mentioned anything about this.

Harry Privates posted:

I got mine last week. The final show LP is amazing! Your in for quite the treat when it arrives.

I've been especially excited about this one because I never got to see the White Stripes live. So I've basically been buying every live recording I can get my hands on. But hearing the last ever show will be a special treat. All the live stuff from the Icky Thump tour that I've seen/heard is really good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peacebone posted:

Has anyone purchased any of the Third Man Live series Vinyl? What is the quality like on these? I understand that it's direct to tape. I would like to get the Jacuzzi Boys one but $15 seems a bit expensive for 6 songs or is it double sided.

I have a few of them. They sound good. The recordings are taken directly from the soundboard so it's not a lovely bootleg sounding thing if that's what you're worried about. The show you're buying could be different, but as far as I know they're all double sided. I don't know if this will be a deal breaker, but they don't have cover art. It just comes in a generic black cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheForgotton posted:

This is a Decca pressing (DXSW 7205). I'm not sure if it's really worth anything, as there are a couple of breaks in the shrinkwrap and scuffs to the jacket where it's exposed, but I snagged it anyways since it's guaranteed to be unplayed. Should I put this aside and find one from ebay to listen to?

No, you should remove the shrink wrap and then listen to it. It's not valuable, but an unplayed copy of a great album is a very worth while find in any case.

In other news, this guy I know who has a bunch of old records might have an original Blue Monday 12" single with the die cut sleeve. So I'm hoping I can make that score.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 12, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The best thing about selling in SA Mart is that there are no fees.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

What are you waiting for?

A source of income.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, that Smiths set is tempting but that is way too much money. :(

I'd only really want Hatful of Hollow and the first album anyways.

There are already Rhino reissues of the individual albums. Rhino price gouges the gently caress out of their box sets anyway. I remember they had a Joy Division set which included the two albums and Still. Of course when it was released there had already been the exact same reissues by Rhino for a few years and buying them separately was something like 150 dollars less.

Socket Ryanist posted:

Does anyone have a good solution for keeping dust off records?

Carbon fiber brush as others said. Plus it's a good idea to have anti-static inner sleeves (Mobile Fidelity makes a really nice static free inner that's inexpensive) and a good outer sleeve as well. Paper sleeves are garbage because they create all kinds of debris, often cause static, and can be abrasive.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I figured as much, I just found it kinda awesome because I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan. My friend's was the same way, so I guess they just had a lot of copies of The Fruit That Ate Itself lying around.

e: while I'm thinking about it, can any Boston goons tell me what good record stores are in the city? I'll be up there for college. I've already been to Newbury Comics (which was boring) if that helps.

Just a heads up, there's more than one Newbury Comics, of the ones I've been to the one in Harvard Square seems to have the best vinyl section. But anyway a few places you might want to check out are In Your Ear, Looney Tunes, Nuggets(kind of overpriced), and the Armaggedon Shop. There's some new place in Somerville, that someone here posted about. But I'm not sure if it's open because I haven't been there yet.

Oh and there's a shop in Harvard Square which may be of interest to any vinyl people. I think it's called Stereo Lab. They have all kinds of audio stuff. It's in the same building as the Harvard Square Newbury Comics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Cheapo Records in Central is decent as well as Weirdo Records (although Weirdo has a really eclectic kind of theme going on). The Newbury St. Newbury comics is actually pretty decent for used but the Harvard Sq one has a slightly better "new" section. Outside the city though there's not much vinyl at other Newbies though, but you probably won't care unless you find yourself stranded in the burbs.

I wasn't aware of Cheapo or Weirdo. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the look out for those places next time I'm in the area.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

I've seen a lot of different shelving for vinyl storage, but nothing I can think of beats the functionality of:

Do you own one of these? I would like to know where I could get one. Or at least what this type of shelf is called.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just got this... The Flaming Lips with Lightning Bolt.

Dear god, you're touching the playing surface! What have you done?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In other news: Readers of this thread may remember that I occasionally recommend the AT440MLa cart. I recently looked into getting a new stylus and I discovered that it costs 160 dollars. I paid 170 for the cart. What the gently caress is that bullshit?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

When you buy a new "stylus" aren't you essentially replacing all the moving parts in the system?

Think about this for a minute.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

Hot Topic is a pretty silly store, but some of them do sell vinyl. Awesomely enough, they also sell classic albums freshly put on vinyl at discounted prices.

Any decent record store will also have those albums. I'm not trying to give you poo poo, but I think it's better to encourage people to shop at locally owned record shops. They not only need it more, but they actually appreciate you shopping there. This is why I often name drop the places in my area. They all need and want your business. Chain stores at the mall couldn't care less if you died in the parking lot.

And if you're ever in Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI check out the Armageddon Shop.

Yes, I worked in a plug and I don't even care, that store is awesome.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 16, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maguro posted:

I'm having some trouble with my Numark TT1625 Direct drive turntables, and I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

I've been getting this very loud, distorted hum whenever certain bass freqs are played at even a moderate volume (seems to be around 60hz). If I cut the bass just a bit I can turn it up much louder, but the low end has to be cut enough to noticeably effect the song. I also get this distorted humming effect just from putting down the needle on a non-playing record.

The turntables are correctly grounded (from what I can tell) to my awful awful Numark iM1 mixer. The mixer runs via RCA into my studio monitors. The monitors sound fine when not used on these turntables.

I've tried plugging everything's power directly into the wall sockets, then everything on surge protectors, etc.

Also the stylus is brand new, replacements of the factory ones. The old pair produce the same humming.

Ive seen some posts on other forums suggesting to touch a wire from my ground on my mixer to my metal tonearm on one of my turntables to see if an ungrounded tonearm could cause the humming. Would this be a good idea?

Are you playing records with the dust cover still on? If it's one of those hinged covers that opens half way that can still make a sound at moderate volume, so slide it off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maguro posted:

Nah I dont have a dust cover.

Well I'm out of ideas.

As is the tradition of the thread here's some stuff I just got:

The Beastie Boys-Cooky Puss maxi single
The Hives-Uptempo Venomous Poison(this is "an unoffical release" with some live tracks)
Crass-Christ:the Album
Siouxsie and the Banshees-Peel Sessions 1977/1978
Bauhaus-Burning from the Inside(reissue)
Gaye Bykers on Acid-Everythang's Groovy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

I've had good luck doing the same task with melamine foam cleaning products like magic eraser.

Supposedly the magic erasers can leave behind an abrasive residue. One again this falls under the category of "I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm sure as hell not going to test it".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Why do people want to convert their records to digital? I don't get it. Unless you are literally the first person on the planet to convert that particular dic, what is the point?

Sometimes if something is particularly rare or valuable people choose to record the audio digitally. In fact if you've got old acetates or something of that nature you'd pretty much have to do this because those are not meant to last or be played very many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Couldn't they obtain the recording through much easier means as well?

Who knows? There are other reasons to archive. Some people don't like putting wear on their discs and will make copies to reduce this. Or maybe they want to make copies for a friend who doesn't have a turntable. Or possibly just have a portable version of the recording.

I don't generally make digital copies of my albums, but there are occasionally reasons and I have done it before. I don't prefer the copies, but it's not an outrageous idea.