Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Millstone posted:

You'd have to double that figure.

Maybe if he's planning on doing this for a museum, university, or someone looking to reissue these recordings. If it's for his own personal use I don't see the need for something that expensive. Other than personal preference, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

In all honesty, the "loudness wars" is hardly the worst thing that the music industry does. Yes, there is a lot of music out there that is overly compressed, but that's existed for a long time. You listen to 60s pop music, and you'll hear loud. Hell, I remember some people complaining about the loudness on Hip-Os Motown singles sets, and the reality was that Hip-O was just reflecting how loud and hot the original singles were mastered at.

Here's what record companies have done. They've done terrible tape researched and used whatever was on hand, even if it was a worned EQed copy, rather than the originals. They've used noise removal to the point of adding artifacts. They've added slight phasing due to bad mastering. They've added overdubs. They've hosed up stereo and mono tapes, sometimes using them pretty much at random. They've sourced from records, and often times they didn't even use a clean disk, even though the tapes actually existed (this happened on a Boxtop compilation I have, where they sourced a B-side from a worn 45, yet when Sundazed put out the albums, they found the original tape). They've mastered things at the wrong speed. They've chopped off endings. They've mastered stereo discs in mono by accident. They've used remixes rather than original mixes. Sometimes they just don't use the right mixes. They've used single edits in place of the album version on the actual album.

If you have the older Rolling Stones CDs, you also get the joy of seeing a track switch from stereo to mono, although often what happens is that the intro will be in stereo and then once the song proper starts, it's mono.

Deluxe editions can be fun. I have the "Songs from the Big Chair" deluxe 2CD set, and while overall it's great, for some reason Mercury put the "7" version" of "Everybody Wants to the Rule the World" on the 2nd disc, which collects the single version. Only problem is that the 7" version is the album version as well. There's no unique edit. I have the new Kinks remasters, and for some reason, there are random "ñ" all over the place in the booklet for Something Else.

Trust me, clipping is the least of your worries when it comes to reissues.

poo poo like this probably explains why it took so long for them to release some Beatles CDs that didn't sound like a bowl of liquid feces.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Yeah, as I said in my followup, my complaint is more about the pricing for what's in the package. I don't know what the remastering is like but expect the CD/digital versions to be brickwalled as poo poo.

At this point I'm leaning toward the deluxe vinyl which mirrors the content of the deluxe CD set. As for the one CD only available in the "super deluxe" that I want (Butch Vig's original mix of the album; the version of Breed from that set is in the With The Lights Out box set), well...

The ORG reissue of Nevermind sounds really good, so there's always that. Plus it's been out for a year or two, so you can just buy that whenever. I wish they'd focuse more on reissuing things that are hard to find (Beck's 90s material) than albums that already have multiple reissues. Or better yet not loving up the reissues of the rare stuff they do put out (mostly everything I bought on record store day). I suppose it's more important that I own six different versions of Nevermind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Next month is shaping up to be expensive between the Nevermind release, Star Wars Blu-ray, assorted stuff I'm forgetting, and now this (apparently 9/26):
http://www.musiconvinyl.com/news/music_on_vinyl_to_release_universal_titles

:hellyeah:

How much is the nevermind thing anyway? I wasn't really all that interested in until I found out it had a live set with it. Even though I still think it's kind of bullshit they have to tack that onto yet another release of an album everyone already has and then jack up the price. Also if you want to save a few bucks, skip the Star Wars blu-ray. It's not going to have the original theatrical versions of the movies, so gently caress it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Deluxe (no live set) is around $25.
Vinyl (no live set) is around $60.
Super Deluxe (deluxe with live set, early mix of the album, DVD (NOT Blu-Ray), and about $20 worth of reprinted junk) is around $150.
They're also selling the DVD and Blu-ray separately for $around $20.

I guess as long as I can buy some stand alone version of the live set that'll do. Hearing old demos and studio poo poo is cool sometimes, but whenever I own something like that I hardly ever revisit it. 150 bucks to own it on vinyl is a bit much for me.

quote:

But they're including sweet deleted scenes from the OT and fixing the god awful poo poo they added with the DVD releases (poorly colored lightsabers).

Who cares? The rest of the loving movies are wrecked with a bunch of stupid cartoony Jar-Jar Binks poo poo popping out for no reason. If they really wanted to "fix it" they'd make a blu-ray that contains nothing but the original releases remastered. I don't want to start this kind of spergfest derail here, though. So that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So, sort of vinyl related I guess, this is happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzjVL5tFn0&feature=player_embedded

So... Oh god... Vault members can expect an Insane Clown Posse package coming one of these days? :stare:

I hope not.

edit: They're already hilariously over reacting to this in GBS. Oddly enough the people reacting the worst are the ones who don't even like Jack White. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from in the Vault's comment sections.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 1, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I love the GBS post that says Jack White is a bad guitarist because of an ICP collaboration.

The Vault is incredibly knee-jerky when it comes to the teeniest things, so I assume it's a cluster gently caress over there.

edit:
Speaking of Third Man Records, where's that special edition of "Rome" they announced ages ago?

As far as I know GBS has always had a hate hard-on for Jack White, so that comes as no suprise.

But anyway, I remember when they announced the special edition of Rome it was basically "eventually we'll do this!". So I'm not exactly holding my breath. They also didn't say much about it other than it's going to be two discs and have fancy looking album cover. I'm still wondering if it's going to be a 45 rpm album or what.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress, you can say that again:

The Maroon Ninja posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that Jack white is an embarassment to guitar players everywhere.

It's funny because I notice that people who say poo poo like that tend to think a "good guitarist" is someone like John Mayer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

this is really loving expensive

I warned you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I just ordered the NMH set and am now incredibly excited. To those who ordered, did you get asked for a shipping address at checkout? Or does it just ship to whatever is associated with the PayPal account?

Also, to the Boston people here, I checked out In Your Ear (it's on campus and a 15 minute walk from where I live, so my wallet will hate me) and while it was awesome, I would love a store that focused more on new/used indie and punk. In Your Ear had pretty good collection, and I snagged a copy of The Make-Up's In Mass Mind, but I'd love a store that focused more on like post-punk/indie/punk/hardcore/whatever. Does such a place exist?

There's also the Armageddon Shop in Harvard Square. They specifically focus on those genres. Also Metal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So does anyone know if Foster the People's album is any good? Like everyone else, they loving haunted me with that goddamn single.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Sooooo...I went to Nuggets yesterday, and though they had some nice stuff, it was definietly expensive. They had a (what seemed to be) orignal copy of Still by Joy Division, but I have no idea if 40 dollars is reasonable for that. Also Lightening Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain for 35.

Well, it's still cheaper than the reissue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I might go spend forty bucks on it...but I haven't even been to some of the other stores and that's a lot of money......

You're probably better off seeing what the average price is on that one. Nuggets has some pretty insane markups.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Welp, I bought Still. Most expensive record I've ever bought, but it's an original and I've never seen Still for sale before, so it's worth it. Also, I see that I'm not the only one who uses their bed as a place to take pictures of records (at least I think that's a bed?).

I remember the days when I thought 40 dollars was a lot for a record. I was so young then. Also I had money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I guess not being a crazy Flaming Lips collector helps? I don't know, I'd spend a ton if the record really meant something to me. But yeah I worry about my wallet :ohdear:

That's my whole problem. They all mean something to me, always. Basically I've reached the point where it's bordering on addiction.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Yeah, I don't buy records unless I really love them or just want new stuff on vinyl. But beyond the odd Modest Mouse or Pumpkins record, I guess what I really want isn't as expensive. Speaking of The Lips, I saw a record of theirs (the name escapes me) at In Your Ear. It was a double LP and it was blue. Might have been their first studio album.

Their first full length album was a single LP and on black vinyl as far as I know. Unless it was one of those reissues. I know some of their early stuff was reissued on colored vinyl and I think some of those were double LPs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

That's the Plain reissue of Telepathic Surgery, their third album.

The first 2000 copies of Hear It Is were on white vinyl.

I was waiting for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What's the album on the bottom left?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think that's Devo's 1988 masterpiece Noodles or Wet Noodles or something like that.

Apparently, the album is a huge mess.

I was guessing Devo, but I didn't recognize the cover and I've never heard of that album. For some reason I thought Shout was their last album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Remember that giant loving Smiths box set? Turn out it's getting a US release, limited to 750, for $500.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/the-smiths-the-smiths-complete-deluxe-boxset?cmpid=ga

who wants to buy me a christmas present?

I probably said this before, but you can get the whole set of Smiths vinyl reissues for something like 120-150 dollars. And they are they same discs as what are being offered in this set. I know there's a bunch of add ons and CDs and poo poo, but honestly if you've got the LPs what the hell do you need to pay an extra 350 dollars more for CDs of the same thing. Hell you can probably score the CDs at ten bucks a piece if you really want them. Or less if you get them used. Rhino box sets are always a huge loving rip off.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 13, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

They're always a rip off yes, but I do think this is the one set with the 25 singles.

e: also some people just really like box sets. I love box sets, I won't be getting this one, but it's cool to stare at.

I knew about the singles, but I still think that's insanely overpriced. There was a recent singles reissue box, but that it only has ten of the singles and is kind of a hot item. And as it turns out you can get the albums for something closer to 80-100.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

The Insound people tossed in some really clutch coasters with our new Rapture album order (we respect wood...) :3: But...sometime on the B-side on the first record my stylus decided to poo poo the brick and the jams had to stop immediately. :(

So thinking about just updating my cartridge rather than pay almost the same cost of a new cartridge to replace the Shure M97xe. Right now my main contender is the Audio Technica AT120e/t but if anyone can recommend something comparable in the ~$100ish range to consider that would be lovely. Listen to a lot of electronic/new wave/indie rock bullshit with dash of folk and classic rock and my speakers are a couple of polk monitor 40's paired with a smallish powered polk sub.

I don't have any advice in the area of the carts. But I just wanted to say good choice on those speakers. I have the monitor 50s (which I'm pretty sure are just the floor standing version of the 40s) and I love them. They were pretty cheap too. I also kicked in the extra money for the extended warranty at Circuit City when I bought them. That was a good decision.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

- Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues (Rauschenberg version)

I think at this point I'm the only one posting here who doesn't have this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I usually find if the outer is beat than so is the record. Especially, if the outer is separated.

That's often the case, but I always check anyway. I've found quite a few records that were pretty close to NM condition in lovely sleeves.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

I recently found a copy of the Portsmouth Sinfonia's first album in a charity thrift store hidden in the mounds of old Al Hirt and Herb Alpert records. If any of you aren't familiar with the Sinfonia, they were a group of students who (mostly) couldn't play any of the instruments they were assigned. Brian Eno produced their first album and played the clarinet. Here's their version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (which you've probably heard by now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOpk8NwFL8

I think I almost crapped myself out of glee when I found it.

I didn't know there was a record for that project.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

In New Orleans for a business trip and made a pit stop at Louisiana Music Factory. Definitely one of the best shops I've ever been too. A must for jazz and soul - ok enough rock section. But what I really dug their good selection of local stuff. I went there after I made a stop at Peaches and just found their prices way too high for my blood - decent selection though. Ended up picking up a copy of Quintron and Miss Pussycat's Swamp Tech for 15 bucks, which rules because I remember finding in the Newbury Newbies in Boston for twice that much.

Why do they still call it Newbury Comics if none of the stores have any focus on comic books? That's what I want to know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So does anyone know if any of these Pink Floyd vinyl reissues are analog remasters?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

They're all digital.

Lame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leavingharvard posted:

Probably worth tracking down original copies as opposed to the new remasters. Wouldn't it take more work to digitize the analog masters than keep it analog and master then?

Seems retarded.

It's tough to get decent copies of them because all you ever find are beat to poo poo copies people dug out of their basement (this is why I have three copies of most Led Zeppelin albums). And then of course when you do find them in playable condition, people overcharge through the rear end. Also, I've heard some analog remasters that blew my loving mind. Like the (insanely overpriced) Classic Records edition of Quadrophenia.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leavingharvard posted:

Oh that's completely why I was hoping for analog lineage on this, but you rarely get the quality of boutique labels on label remasters. Save for the Beatles, anyway.

Yeah, those Beatles remasters sounded great. I was thinking that if the new Pink Floyd ones are of similar quality I'll pick them up gradually.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

juggalol posted:

For the past couple of years, I've been picking up vinyl copies of stuff I really liked, figuring I'd eventually pick up a turntable and should pick up stuff I really like when the opportunity presents itself.

I found a used Technics SL-1200MK2 on Amazon in "very good" condition for $350, and submitted the order this afternoon.

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s for a while, and really like them. I'd be happy enough just using those headphones instead of speakers for now, but I'd like the ability to use both.

Other than knowing that I have a pair of headphones, a turntable and a bunch of records I'd like to listen to, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

What else am I going to need? The first page of this thread makes me think I'll need a cartridge, but other than the few models listed there, I don't really know what to look for. Can I reasonably assume that those cartridges will fit with the SL1200?

The first page also says I'll need a pre-amp, and that generally a $30 unit from Amazon would be okay. Will I need to purchase a unit that's compatible with the turntable I have, and that offers the 1/8" audio jack that my headphones use?

I hope my questions aren't too dumb, I just don't know what I'm doing :blush:

You might be able to keep whatever cart you already have, do a bit of research and see if it's any good. If it is, just buy a new stylus. Although if you have a DJ cart on there, I'd recommend replacing it. DJ carts often use heavy tracking force and this can wear away your records.

Unless you already have something connect the turntable to, you're going to need a stereo receiver. Having the receiver also eliminates the need for a preamp. I don't know a whole ton about receivers, I just happened to buy one that has a good brand reputation/product reviews. There are also differing opinions on what makes a good receiver. Some people here prefer vintage models. In any case you should consider buying used because you will save money(although buying used is a given if you should go the vintage route). Until someone more knowledgable comes along the best advice I can tell you is to pick something with peak wattage that matches whatever speakers you plan on buying. This gets tricky with old receivers, because I'm told the wattage was measured differently way back when (the 70s).

And don't buy Bose speakers. They're the least bang for your buck speakers out there. They have a great marketing team, though. Good choice on the 1200.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

stuff

Yeah I glossed over the fact that he should make sure the receiver has a "phono" input. Assuming that whatever he purchases does have this, a pre-amp will not be necessary.

Actually the best advice I can give is to piece together whatever you can afford for the moment and if you decide you have a taste for this, gradually update your system as your budget allows. That's certainly what I did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

How else are you going to play them continuously on your two record players?

Also, do people really care about track order?

I do, especially if it's a concept album. But even if it's not, most albums seem to have a certain flow to them that seems to work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Probably depends a lot on the kind of music one listens to.

You're probably right. I honestly never really considered this because It's never occurred to me to listen to an album out of order.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wish I'd known what a hot item Demon Days was going to be a few years back. I used to see multiple copies of that loving album everywhere.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Musicians creating albums instead of songs as a norm is something that has lead to 75% of most published music being unlistenable tat.

You don't think this has anything to do with the sheer volume of bands who just plain suck? Or the fact that there's just an awful lot of bland, unchallenging, lowest common demoninator crap floating around. Especially as those are the type of acts that most often get signed to major labels. I really reject the idea that albums as a whole are a few good singles and mostly fluff. Obviously that is the case with lots of stuff, but then that's a matter of having the taste to steer around the artists who put out that kind of junk. I've always considered people whose music collections consist of "best of" collections and radio tracks to be people who aren't serious about music. I'm not making that claim against you. But a lot of the times when I hear that kind of talk about albums or see the lack of willingness to explore them, it's from people who aren't really music fans so much as they are music consumers. This is also why I think the way most people buy music now trivializes it. Imagine going to a concert and the only songs they play are the ones that are always on the radio.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Maybe it has something to do with seeing the album as the "primary format" for music which is extremely off-base and not to mention rockist.

You do have a point. I'm seeing it from that perspective because I pretty much only listen to various rock based styles of music. There's nothing wrong with other formats. What I was trying to say there is that I hold the album format in high regard when the band has chosen that as the medium. I rarely take out an album to hear a track or two. I play the whole thing. When the band's taken the time to assemble an album and create the overall theme of it, I think that's how it should be heard. That's not to say lots of bands don't have a bunch of fluff on their album but I think it's extreme to say that almost all albums are just a few good songs and then mostly filler.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of record stores sell used vintage turntables for under 100. This is probably going to be your best bet. The trick is finding one such store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Today I came across a 12" promo copy of the Love for Sale single by Talking Heads. I was going to buy it but the guy who had it said it was rare or something and wanted 30 bucks. Anyone know if that's true? I'm having a hard time finding anything out about it online. If I discover that it's not valuable the guy will sell it to me for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mr. Stepmom posted:

Here's the discogs entry - http://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Love-For-Sale/master/39418

(it's probably not worth $30)

Yeah I did manage to find some information on it. I didn't assume it was valuable, but you never know. The guy who has it isn't a record dealer he just occasionally has records. What I think he does is he'll half assedly google something or look it up on ebay if he comes across something that isn't entirely run of the mill and bases his idea of its worth on that. I found one guy online selling it for 50 bucks, but I also found several selling it for 3-8 dollars.

Oddly enough this discogs entry doesn't have the martix number form the promo copy (which this is), but I was able to find that elsewhere.