Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Does curated mean "categorized by the stereotypical person that buys this stuff?" Let's curate the Grateful Dead together with Allman Bros. and Dave Matthews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Vinyl newbie -
Just bought a new copy of Daft Punk's Discovery, and there's awful skips right out of the package on most of the tracks. I'm not using a high-end turntable by any means, but our beat-up second-records play perfectly.
Did I just get a lemon, or do new records need to be cleaned?

I had the same problem with a Metallica reissue I bought from the Best Buy sell off a couple years ago.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I hope this isn't considered a drunk post, but I've been drinking and catching up on 150+ unread posts. I'm considering sending free records to "newbies" that you guys are snarky to. I'm going to sober up before I definitely decide on this. (I'm cheapass when I'm sober so don't expect free records).

As for the vertical turntable....
I'm in manufacturing, and help design assembly and materials delivery processes and think anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, and even I think a vertical turntable is a terrible idea.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure these things are notorious for completely loving up records.

I'd want one of those too, but only to use with $1 bin fare for the novelty. I wouldn't pay a ton for one, though, or I might as well buy a vertical turntable.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I've also heard Sample in a Jar and Farmhouse on the radio.

I heard Free also, when the album Billy Breathes came out. I hadn't been into Phish long and was really excited for that album, and was really disappointed.

Phish is my favorite band that has the most songs that I absolutely loathe. Most bands that I like I will tolerate or like everything on the albums. Phish sets themselves apart. For every song I absolutely love, there's a song that I can barely listen to.

Rift and Hoist are my favorite 2 albums. Those might not be the cool choices the dirty hippies would make, but I have no idea.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I thought of a reason to make one of those absurd turntables that play your records upright....To play both sides without having to manually flip. Does that weird rear end upright player even attempt that?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

omg so horrible, where are the speakers 5 times larger than he will ever need for his small apartment? Why aren't his $30 obscure niche records with tribal art and pentagrams on display instead of some lame all time great singer/songwriters?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

numerrik posted:

So I found out I am getting a record player for xmas from my wife, and was wondering if there were any must have albums, or if collecting vinyl was more along the lines of find poo poo you like in a familiar genre and listen.

All of these people are wrong.

Frampton Comes Alive

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Instead of time traveling you could just buy 100 copies of like a virgin and disappear Madonna.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'd buy every copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights, then destroy all but say 50 so that it would actually become a highly sought record

At $1 each I hope you have at least $1,000,000 to spend on this

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Jesus Christ, guys.

You're not cool unless you're listening to MiniDiscs.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Thread title is once again relevant.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I have record that has John Lennon's penis on the cover.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

my summer at fat camp posted:

In 30 years the next Great Pacific Garbage Patch will be composed of Jack White albums and video game soundtrack picture discs.

And Funko Pops

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

Oh yeah I skipped on Blade Runner because it was a (((picture disc))) and in hindsight I'm dumb. They aren't actually lower quality than regular records anymore, right?

Maybe the answer is they are all lower quality, now?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

What genre of music is it that makes all of their covers black and white with the optional splashes of red?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you American?

If so, the Kinks weren't really that popular here. Like, they had hits, but their LPs weren't huge movers, and there was a period of time in which they were basically going nowhere in the US because they were forbidden from touring. Then add to that the fact that as time went on, their esteem in the US went up significantly because bands are always being influenced by them, that makes it so the records people love by the Kinks are in high demand and relatively low supply.

There was a really good reissue of their 60s Pye albums in mono last year. The book that came with the boxset was absolutely terrible and it could be summed up as interviews with Ray and Dave Davies about how awesome mono is. But the records were fantastic.

This is a good post. I got lucky and got my Kinks records from a record shop that had a huge collection they got from a British collector that had already moved his collection from the UK and he had to move across the US and decided not to move it again.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Mine is a first US pressing of zombies - odessey and oracle. Not sure how rare it actually is, but I've only seen one and looked for it in the wild for years. Mine isn't in great condition:(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Download code for Psychic Temple IV:

joyfulnoiserecordings.com/downloads - uch6-38ql

Don't sleep on this record if you love good sounding music. The songwriting may not be for everyone but the playing is flawless and the sound is that sweet analog 24-track sound.

Have you released anything lately?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Having it framed as wall art is also acceptable to me.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I've ran into a few. Someone also posted an article about it here a while back and apparently it's a noteworthy percentage of the people who buy records now.

You're not doing a very good job of gatekeeping, then.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Nick Cave and glass houses and all that.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I havent been following this thread for a long time and on a whim googled Crow Soundtrack Vinyl and just found out it was an RSD exclusive that's now been sold by scalpers for $100+. Any idea how likely it will get a wider release? Is there a wider release and I just didn't look hard enough?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The Barnes and Noble near me was having a big 50% off select vinyl sale.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That’s too bad. The B&N here had lots of newer albums by smaller artists on sale like The Shins, Iron and Wine, and Sufjan Stevens.
Personally I bought Jim James “Tribute to 2,” A Perfect Circle’s newest album and an Iron Maiden live double album.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I am at my dad’s and thumbed through a random stack of records sitting in his garage and one of them is a sealed copy of Miles Davis - Circle in the Round. I have no idea how to value this thing. It seems to be printed in 1979. I don’t see any other sealed copies for comparison. Is there a way to gauge value short of making an auction listing for it?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I dont know if this has been posted yet. Walmart has everything for $15 in store.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Just found there was a "Rocktober" release on Oct 30th of The Crow Soundtrack. I never find out about these in a timely manner.

https://www.rhino.com/product/the-crow-soundtrack-black-vinyl-with-etching#black-vinyl-with-etching

Anyone know where this might be in stock or are they up to scalper prices already?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

SPINS THE BLACK CIRCLE

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Who had the garth brooks set on sale? unironic.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Hekk posted:

I fly back home tomorrow. If you are seriously looking for Garth Brooks albums, I can send you one of the sets I have for whatever the shipping cost is. I think I paid 25 bucks for three copies of the albums and only opened the 180 gram version. I still have the analog and remasters sitting in shrink wrap.

It was for a gift. I found it for $12.50

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Original-Analog-Garth-Brooks/dp/B07VQW9K7J/

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I've forgotten who it was, but we had someone trolling by posting his new finds in places like in kitty litter and other gross/bad places.

I'd do a troll picture of showing my collection and having all unsleeved vinyl stacked and stored together separately from the sleeves, but it would be way too much work.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Johann Pachelbel is pretty overrated.

My evidence is how much better this remake is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz_NxOF7RB4

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I’ve heard creep a million times and had it on the Pablo Honey cassette because I didn’t return my Columbia house selection of the month card in time, but I had to go out of my way to hear paranoid android a long rear end time ago (pretty sure the music video was briefly on MTV) and didn’t care for it. I don’t recall hearing Radiohead anywhere else unless they’ve been in movie soundtracks/Advertisements I wasn’t aware of. There’s plenty of popular musicians that have managed to do OK without getting much forced exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Samfucius posted:

Hi everyone, I'm not deeply familiar with vinyl so please be patient.

My wife was shopping around and found a cheap record player. This one, specifically.

She bought it because she thought it was really cute and matched the decor she was going for in our brand new place. It's obviously cheap, and it has one major issue I'm hoping for advice with.

It just hates certain records, and is entirely copacetic with others. Those hated records skip constantly. I can't find anything in common with the records that skip: some are brand new, seconds out of the plastic shrink wrap perfectly flat 200g pressings. Others are old and wavy. On the other hand, there are other records that look exactly the same that play perfectly. In fact, one of the most consistent records is an original pressing of Willie Nelson"s Red-Headed Stranger which is almost 50 years old and looks like the sea after a storm. It has never skipped once.

Is there any known way to deal with this? I'm a complete baby beginner, so even if it's something insanely obvious please tell me. I'm just annoyed that it seems that there are just certain records I will never be able to listen to without buying another machine.

Things I have tried:
  • Cleaning the stylus (it was only unboxed brand new a week ago, but I looked for hair and fluff anyways)
  • Cleaning the records (I don't have any special equipment, but I have given the worst offenders gentle wipes with soft cloth. This seemed silly to do because I literally took a brand new record out of the shrink wrap, put it on the player, and it was skipping within 30 seconds)

Is there a way to increase the downward force from the arm? I put a very gentle finger on top of the cassette as an experiment and it fixed everything.

Thanks and sorry for the silly questions.

Most recommendations will be to get a better record player. If there's not a tonearm adjustment near the base of the tone arm you can add weight to the tonearm with various forms of jankiness. You don't want it too heavy. Without knowing anything else about the player, I'd probably upgrade the stylus and stylus+cartridge.