Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Whoops, I didn't realize there was a new record thread and posted in the old thread. I also didn't apparently see the post a few posts up from mine stating that this is the new thread for records :downs: The old thread really should be closed.

Anyway, a repost of my own from the other thread:

You Are A Elf posted:

Today was a good day at the thrift store. I walked out with 22 albums, but wait'll you hear what I paid for them. None of it is really anything rare or collectable, but I don't care about any of that; I like the music that's on 'em. It encompasses dad-rock, prog-rock, some funk & soul, a couple of good ol' country albums, and a gaggle of some other good ones. The list:

Led Zeppelin - II
Led Zeppelin - III
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Yes - Yes
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
The Who - Quadrophenia (with a thick picture and lyric book included)
Nilsson - The Point!
The Kinks - Preservation Act 1
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash At San Quentin
Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
Phantom of the Paradise - OST
Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (with special promo 3 song EP of live stuff)
David Bowie - Pinups
Sly & the Family Stone - Stand!
Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
Atlantic Records - Golden Soul Compilation (special aid relief album)

Someone must have just dumped their old collection at the same time for me to find. Everything is original pressings with any special stuff that's usually missing included (such as the Costello EP and the Who lyric/picture book). Oh yeah, the price for everything:

$2.20

That's right, this thrift store sells records for 10¢ a piece, and they usually have the usual Mantovanis and Belafontes (even more so than usual because it's in a retirement community), but not on this day :zoid:

I've already got a few records to clean, and now I've got a whole bunch more. Oh well. I've got the time and the newfound happiness from spending so little on so much that I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

^ ^ ^
There's a Herb Alpert joke here somewhere, but nice free stuff, nonetheless.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Woah, $2.20 is dirt cheap. Thats 20 cents more than what the Goodwills around here charge for one record. Well theres the Goodwill bins which charge by the pound but if you think you're going to find anything good there you're sorely mistaken.

Hell yeah that's cheap. I'm floored I managed to get what I got because most of that dad-rock stuff is thought of as RARE AND WORTH MONEY BECAUSE IT'S SO RARE when most of it is common mass-produced stuff, but that doesn't stop people from trying to get the most money out of their copy of Double Fantasy (JOHN LENNON OF THE BEATLES; THEREFORE IT'S ULTRA-RARE).

That's crazy that your Goodwills charge $2 per album, though, because all the ones here charge 99¢, although I used to get them for 49¢ if I was a suave and debonaire customer (and nice to the cashier). It seems like Goodwill has been creeping up in price for everything else, though, and cashiers no longer give their own discounts on stuff, which sucks. Also, the Goodwill by my house has had the same records on display for at least two months now. I'm sick of looking at the same copy of the Xanadu soundtrack and that one Seals & Crofts album at the front of each row.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 16, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Last time I went to goodwill they had a huge hip hop 12" collection added to the stacks. All from the last ten years too, wonder what happened to the poor hip hop dj

A few months back, a Goodwill in midtown had a whole bunch of late-70s to late-80s R&B /early new jack swing 12" singles in the bin that no one went through. I feel as if the original owner worked at a roller rink or something and held on to their collection after that kind of recreation went tango uniform (really, these were the kind of songs you'd imagine swaying to on a pair of roller skates back in the day) and they gave it all to Goodwill. I happen to dig that kind of music, but I didn't have much money at the time and wish I could have bought everything, but I did walk away with some Timex Social Club and Club Nouveau records (same group, different names, great stuff).

Speaking of dwindling record areas at thrift stores, it's happening here, too. No sooner after I bought a plethora of awesome dadrock albums at one thrift store I frequented, the store cut back its record display by 75% and filled the former space of records with CDs and books on tape. Since this store happens to be in a retirement community, you can be rest assured that Mitch Miller and beautiful music string compilations by some conductor no one's heard of are all that's left :(

Also, you can't not flip through a thrift store collection and not find at least 17 copies of this goddamn thing at every single thrift store ever.

You want your million selling records? Here's your million selling record right here. 7.5 million sold. That means I'll keep finding this thing until I die.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dansu posted:

I have a problem with my record player. Everything I play us just slightly too slow. It's not a real high end modern one but does that sound like there is something wrong with the belt or motor?

Look up your make and model at Vinyl Engine and register for free to get the service manual. I have a Sansui DD linear-tracking table that did the same thing when I first bought it (played just slightly too slow). After I registered, I got the manual and found out that there are two small holes on the bottom of the player for 33 and 45 RPM that allows you to manually adjust the pitch/speed. It works like a drat champ now, and all my records sound boss at the correct speed.

If it's not direct drive, replace the belt for cheap like Jerry said.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Inspector_71 posted:

So the [Pias] warehouse was burned to the ground in the riots in England.

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.

Goddamn, what a terrible, tremendous loss for everyone involved in each of those labels. Major suckage :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ron Burgundy posted:

Does anyone here collect the American Top 40 syndication records?

For every show, affiliate stations were sent a 4 record set of the entire AT40 show with cue sheets for the DJ on duty to drop in local ads. The first few years were reel to reel tape, then LP for much of the Kasem era, then CD's into the Shadoe Stevens era and beyond. I've collected 70/80s shows in digital format for a while, but when I looked into buying some of the records, the sets go for like $60+! There must be some old radio people around with an absolute shitload of those things stashed away somewhere. It's my understanding these were not supposed to be sent back, just filed/trashed/given away in station contests etc...

Or for that matter does anyone collect any radio transcriptions?

I have about six Casey Kasem American Top 40 shows from late 1986 and four Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40s from late 1984. I bought them at a local record store at least 14 years ago when they were having a clearance sale, so I got them each for $5. I guess they were unwanted then, but yes, the labels say something like "to be destroyed or returned to Watermark, Inc. after immediate broadcast." They were never meant to be given away or kept by the radio station; either destroyed or returned to the production company for destruction. Copyright agreements and issues and all of that.

And yes, all the DJ really had to do was drop the needle and insert local 30 second spots when it called for it (always at the end of commercials, which are included on the records). "Pontiac Fiiiieroooo, we build excitement, WE BUILD EXCITEMENT, PONTIIIIAAAAAAAC!"