Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Grabbed Piñata and Koyaanisqatsi today. Koyanisqaatsi was $50, ugh.

I'd say count yourself lucky. Judging by the ebay gouging already going on you'll never see it at that price again unless they plan on doing another run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bought a crosley c200 which broke almost immediately which I then returned and replaced with a u-turn orbit plus. It's much better.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not satan but I just got this in the mail and I so loving excited. One of my favorite albums+impossible to find streaming+import is the autumn trifecta

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a great one. Tom the Model is one of my all-time favourites since old times.

Funny thing, I never bothered to find out who Rustin Man was in like 15 years, then only recently I got really into Talk Talk and wouldn't you know, he was their bassist all along.

I was actually in the same boat until I was skimming wikipedia the other day. Such a great album.

I am really enjoying the hunting aspect of finding albums that are out of print but I also think this... collecting may be an affliction a bit. Seeing something I want in my collection down to one listed copy or limited edition or something like that tickles a very strange part of my "buy it now" brain and I imagine I am not the only person in this thread like that.

I really need to set myself a budget or something but my collection is so empty right now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's a rad loving sale. I just picked up the first 3 Elvis Costello albums and pre-ordered the Social Network deluxe soundtrack for $60

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well this is going to be my evenings from now on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

still waiting on my uDiscover (not even a shipment notification) but I did just get this in the mail after forgetting I ordered it

My wife looked at it disapprovingly but I love Carpenter and his weird soundtracks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My udiscover stuff finally came today. Welcome first 3 Elvis Costello albums and social network soundtrack

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I found I had a lot of dead time cooking or cleaning that I'd fill the empty sound with tv and it feels a lot better to put on a record and let it play. Granted I could do that with bluetooth/spotify but then I'm inclined to fiddle around with stuff and hop around songs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My kitty desperately wants to try his hand at some scratching it seems.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think I did the math right on this.

actually I think I have it spinning slow in that one.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 27, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alright I think I have it right finally up there as the second one.

Like I said the math is really loving with my head but ~44.6s for each frame, at 30fps, rotating 12degrees each iteration.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

One of the weirder things I have in my collection is this: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Narrates-Prokofiev-Eugene-Ormandy-The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-Perform-Britten-Peter-And-T/release/1046310

David Bowie narrating "Peter and the Wolf" recorded in December of 1978 for his son Duncan Jones. It's actually quite a cute and fun recording. Bowie is really into it.

Bowie was not one to half-rear end a gig he chose to take, at least not until his late 80s glass-spider malaise

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

^^^ I also like Let's Dance and Tonight. The only album I really cold on is Never Let Me Down.

CPL593H posted:

I heard him say about the Let's Dance era/tour he said "I had an audience of Phil Collins fans when I wanted an audience of Iggy Pop fans.". That sums up his all his 80s work after Scary Monsters. Speaking of which, how the gently caress did he go from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance? That kind of drop off is almost impressive.

I think it was part studio influence and part he was just creatively exhausted at that point so he was trying to go back to the familiar things that worked. His resurgence in the 90s is my favorite of his output though. Not a bad album from Outside to the end.

And speaking of - re-release those goddamned albums already, Parlophone. I will give you so much money just so I don't have to pay $200 for outside.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This bowie talk is making me think I need both a crystal japan single and god willing, a poster version of that single cover

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

screaden posted:

Look at all these folks missing out on Earthling and Outside. Those are great albums. Hours and Black Tie White Noise are the real stinkers compared to Tonight and Never Let Me Down

Whoa now we have to fight. Hours as a whole may be a bit overproduced and left some of the best material on the cutting room floor but Something in the Air/New Angels of Promise/The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell are up there with his greatest tracks.
If he'd kept We All Go Through and We Shall Go to Town on there it would have been amazing rather than just "a pretty good album for Bowie doing a videogame concept soundtrack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEiGQcOj90

e:
And for Black Tie White Noise it's got Nite Flights, Jump They Say, Pallas Athena, and The Wedding Song.

Miracle Goodnight and Don't Let Me Down and Down right next to each other is drat near 10 minutes of ear poison though, I agree.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 29, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

the last 3 are fine but that cover of nite flights is like a bottom-10 bowie song

I came around on Earthling a couple years ago after a friend of mine mentioned it was his second favorite Bowie album, which really caused me to reevaluate what I thought were objectively true facts about music (tbf said friend is a huge fan of 90s dance cheese). Finally listened to Outside last year at some appropriately apocalyptic-feeling time when I was thinking "eh, if I die in this whole pandemic or whatever I don't want to go to the grave having never listened to Outside." Didn't quite live up to the hype but it is quite an album.

Haven't given Hours or Heathen a full listen yet, probably should. I've been avoiding the Bowie box sets because (a) money and (b) I generally like getting old records in stores instead of remasters, but when the 90s box set comes around, I'll probably jump on that because... well, I assume like any popular mid 90s albums, you're just not going to find those records in any stores.

Heathen is absolutely my favorite, and I would argue has some of Bowie's best and most haunting vocal performances of his career, specifically (my favorite Bowie song of all time, 5:15 Angels Have Gone) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZYqKYPI4U
and the title track Heathen (The Rays)

The bit in 5:15 at 1:45 when he cuts in with "Weeeeeeeeeeee never talk anymore" I feel like that's a voice that is throwing a punch at you

e:
And the opener, Sunday - same deal. He just really cuts loose on that album.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 29, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At least you can still get old psych/prog rock records for penny candy prices. And classical. But that seems to be about the extent of it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sporklift posted:

Tapes are extremely portable and took way more abuse than CD's. You can shove a tape or two in your pockets. Also most CD's I have taken in the car with me end up scratched up and unplayable after a while. Tapes? Throw them on the floor. They play forever. Until my tape deck stared eating them but that is the fault of the deck.

Seriously. I think I own or have owned every record in this picture at one point.

I feel like every record collection I've ever come across ends up with a copy of that kansas album in it somehow, and never from having been purchased.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

looking at upgrading my turntable from the bargain-basement stanton I've been on for like 14 years now to an audio-technica

the 120 appears to be backordered to hell and back, but I can get a 140 now if I drop an extra hundo-plus on it. trying to see what the difference between the two is and not really seeing it, apart from the 140 coming with a more dj-oriented stylus (at's website says that the cartridge is compatible with vm styli so I could presumably flip to something nicer if the one it comes with is a vinylgrinder) and possibly having an all-aluminum case (idk what the 120's case is made of and google isn't helping)

it's the season of mandatory overtime where I work, so I should probably treat myself but I'm always leery of going ham on purchases

I'll give another shout out for the U-turn Orbit as an alternative. I got it rather than an lp120 and it has been a workhorse for me so far, though it is admittedly a little less user friendly if you're switching between 45s and 33s a lot and the cue lever is an add-on which is bullshit.

But overall it's got so few moving parts, like it's just such an austere build, that there's very little on it to break or do wrong, and that's kinda comforting in the simplicity.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Been picking up cheap poo poo on discogs to find some new bands and I found this and had to have it for the cover alone

$4 and the guy also threw in a free copy of Abacab

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's that or putting out something you really really want (Koyaanisqatsi full soundtrack) in a stupidly depressed amount like they're making graphics cards or something

I got the bastard but at what cost

at what cost

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

petit choux posted:

That's what I want to know. Hopefully under $30.

I think it was a little over $90 actually

but I loving love Koyaanisqatsi and I'd have paid that in a second for a regular release of the full album

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot drat
I swapped out the ortofon OM5e that came with my orbit finally (had it long enough that I figured it was about time even if not strictly necessary)
Opted to go for the seemingly recommended everywhere mp110 since I have a lot of older records I'd read that cartridge would smooth over a bit better

and I was fully expecting my busted ears to hear no difference between the two but I swear to god the difference is night and day

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hit up the cd cellar for the first time today... I could've spent hours there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Get Happy owns

It does and was paradoxically the cheapest record there ($7). Elvis doesn't get the respect he deserves.

McCoy Pauley posted:

CD Cellar is awesome. So far as I can tell their stock of new arrivals seems to change fairly often, so it's always worth going back to see what new stuff is in.

This reminds me I've been meaning to get out there and also to pop my head in that guitar store next door.

It was jam packed so I didn't even look at the bins under the main "new arrival/used" sections but it certainly seems like stuff would be moving in and out in droves. People were ravenous.
Their new/sealed collection is also extensive as gently caress but I opted to stick to just literal new releases and hard to find since they were a buck or two more expensive than online prices for everything.

The only other shop I've been to in the area was the vienna music exchange and the prices were a lot better there but it's small, boutique would be a polite way to put it maybe, and not well ventilated so I was loving melting after half an hour of digging through boxes.

Moebius is also pretty close so I'd like to check that one out sooner than later.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 7, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The re:call set on that Bowie collection has some of my favorite tracks he ever made on it. Hell of a price of admission but drat they're good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Been on a buying binge myself lately and wanted to pick up some favorites (because at least the Portishead records seem to go out of print fairly often and then the prices loving double)

Perfect records through and through

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

After years of diverting my "new turntable" fund to my "just buy more records" fund I broke down when I found a like new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a fresh Ortofon cartridge on it at really good price. I was moving on from a Technics SL-BD20 that was perfectly serviceable but man the difference is nice.

I just did a cartridge upgrade myself and the fun part is now you get to go through all your favorites you thought you knew so well and hear them in an entirely new way
really that's like buying a whole new record collection when you think about it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

midge posted:

Because of that Sonic Boom hint in the thread, I headed into Toronto for some shopping. I planned on hitting about 4 stores, but I spent so long in Hidden City Record Shop that I tapped out after just two.

Picked up Pacific Breeze 2, completing the set - thank you WaitsUp

BAD is a nostalgia fueled pickup & finished the set of Iron Maiden 80's albums (2014 Parlophone Reissues). Still unsure I wanna cross the boundary in 90s and start another OCD pathway.

....which I immediately did after coming across a copy of The Moon And The Melodies. Which twisted my arm for an instant Cocteau Twins collection...

I've gotta loving stop - no more in May, OK? Side note, going through some mental health stuff and music is doing some real heavy lifting these last few months. I just assume everyone loves music, but I've gone to a while new level recently. Thanks for being in this thread y'all!

I also did a huge Cocteau reprint buy because who the gently caress knows when those will become scarce
I fear sooner than later

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, Yes Album and "I'm Your Man", along with the rest that's quite a score

I need to start building out my Leonard Cohen, I only have Old Ideas and that's like my least favorite of his modern output

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

tried preordering the newly-announced blur record last night, since the special edition has a 7" of bonus tracks, and the website loving stalls out when checking out

it also appears to be eating poo poo when you try to create an account.

the first single from it is real nice tho

Yeah I jumped on that bastard right away. I don't get why the newer Blur albums are apparently printed in batches of 10

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

what browser did you use

I'll have to try again tonight, if it isn't already sold out

Firefox, it went right through for me. I was using the US store though so maybe that made a difference?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

i was on the us store as well, or at least i thought i was. i was on chrome.

i will extremely be displeased if i miss out on this because of Computer (and working nights)

It's a super early pre-order so I would hope they're holding out to press until a little later (so I'm rooting for you)

Read After Burning posted:

I love that feeling. :allears: Off the top of my head, I bought that Was (Not Was) album for "Walk the Dinosaur", but now I just like the whole thing.

This and just picking random things for $4 because I like the cover. "Something with a cool cover released in the late 80s or early 90s" is how I discovered Skunk, Hugo Largo, and Hetch Hetchy just throwing random poo poo onto discogs orders.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

IG-88 posted:

It's less than 3 months away. Surely they've got inventory numbers locked in.

Maybe so.. I don't really know the logistics for big label releases but I'd also assume the benefit of a large pre-order window is that once you've got the master plate ready to go you can eyeball the demand and just crank some out ahead of the date... at least for something like the special colors

I know I could go from audio to mastering to pressing in around the same time as an indie artist and that's starting from nothing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

IG-88 posted:

Well then you know more than me lol

I thought you needed more time with the way plants were backed up. Maybe that changed?

I think it's more about getting the master done and then "can you cut the line" and I imagine a huge band/label can do both pretty easily. For the indies yeah, you're probably looking at a 3-4 month lead time at the least but also once the plant has your master it's nothing to say "gonna need more of that"

this is in my limited research in the US at least...

and going by the cracker island gently caress up (the supplier got the exclusive colors mixed up and then the Warner shop had to re-ship the exclusive colors) they got that re-pressed and shipped within 2 months

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That's a really low bar though. I've always felt like the original LPs for their first couple albums lacked dynamics. I'd really only be interested in Congratulations at this point because I always thought that was by far the better album and at this point in my life I've listened to Oracular Spectacular enough where I probably never need to hear it again. I remember when Congratulations came out people lost their poo poo because it went in a different direction and was more of a psych rock album than a dancey thing. But I always found the people who said that to be folk who never listed to the b-side of the first record. It's weird to me how big MGMT was and how little anyone ever talks about them anymore.

I have opinions about MGMT.

They seem a bit like Gotye in that they accidentally made a radio hit but it wasn't really what they were about creatively.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Creature posted:

It’s their best album.

My housemate at the time got so angry about RAM because she was convinced that it was just a placeholder for a 'real' album, meanwhile I was getting my yacht rock groove on. I loved it then and I still love it now.

I think everyone was waiting for them to do what Justice did with Woman via Woman Worldwide and give us a club banger remix album

and maybe even they thought they'd do that but at the same time it seems like that whole experience just sapped up all they had left in the tank for music

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Record printing mishaps are always fun. Thanks to that I have 2 different shades of purple copies of Cracker Island for the price of 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I'm going to buy the poo poo outta every single one of these, but Bone Machine FINALLY back in print yessssssssss. :kheldragar:

I knew this was gonna happen. I ebayed a lovely bootleg of Bone Machine on some weird pepto pink vinyl that sounds pretty bad and a few months later the remaster is ready
not even a question to buy it again though