Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

That's crazy that your Goodwills charge $2 per album, though, because all the ones here charge 99¢, although I used to get them for 49¢ if I was a suave and debonaire customer (and nice to the cashier). It seems like Goodwill has been creeping up in price for everything else, though, and cashiers no longer give their own discounts on stuff, which sucks. Also, the Goodwill by my house has had the same records on display for at least two months now. I'm sick of looking at the same copy of the Xanadu soundtrack and that one Seals & Crofts album at the front of each row.

77 cents at Goodwill here :colbert:. Unfortunately, it's usually a very small selection and it's on the other side of town. Got Tommy (1975 reissue) there last time, though.

On rare occasion one thrift store has the 10 cents deal, but it's 50 cents at all other times. You have to dig through piles of stuff, but occasionally there's something decent. Like a 1959 single of Teenager in Love and a couple of Elvis singles.

The ReStore is $1 per album. I have never found anything interesting enough there, though I did once find a $5 Super Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

It is a 1975 reissue of the 1969 Who album or the soundtrack from the movie? If it's the latter you paid 77 cents too much.

Reissue, though I'd probably buy the soundtrack as well just so I could say I have it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spent two hours this evening photographing the cover and actual record of every album I have stored at my parents' house. There are way too many and not enough space in my apartment to take them with me. I also don't have enough time to sift through them one by one while I'm here and match them up on Discogs.

None of them are very interesting, but I'm curious about what exactly I have. Hopefully, I can get everything updated within a week.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thrift store haul. 25 cents each:

LPs
The Dave Clark Five: American Tour
The Kingston Trio: At Large

Singles
Thomas Dolby: She Blinded Me with Science/Flying North
Everly Brothers: Devoted to You/Bird Dog
Elton John: Little Jeannie/Conquer the Sun
Elvis Presley: Blue Christmas/Santa Claus is Back in Town
Elvis Presley: Return to Sender/Where Do You Come From (singles in connection with film, "Girls! Girls! Girls!"
Elvis Presley: My Way/America the Beautiful
Zager & Evans: In the Year 2525/Little Kids

Single on Tops label simple because of the red colored vinyl. Label itself isn't in the greatest of shape.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Starting to figure out what exactly I have in the storage bins of records. Not many highlights, but a couple from the boxes

Capitol promotional?

I can only assume someone gave this to my grandfather. I have no idea who as there is a long list of people he knew that would. I have never played it. I have no idea if it lives up to its label and I don't have a turntable up here to find out.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

This is pretty much why I never got into Queen, I guess I've really only heard the radio songs and sports game poo poo. But then I saw Flash Gordon and decided that I must own the soundtrack to that movie. I've yet to come across a copy, but then again I've been holding off buying any music for a while. I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to find.

Queen II is a work of art. Nothing is similar to what's played on the radio, as the main single, Seven Seas of Rhye is pretty much ignored.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been submitting photos and information for a bunch of singles for Discogs. Somebody out there better appreciate the efforts to have a database that includes Kitty Wells 45s.

There is some terrible schlock in the collection. Of what I was given a few years back, one of my uncles had won a radio station contest somewhere for a whole bunch of free records. On the good side, I think it included Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and a promotional single for The Zombies' Time of the Season. On the bad side ... let's just say it sinks pretty low.

How low? This low.

As if the Paul Anka single, (You're) Having My Baby wasn't bad enough, she altered the lyrics a bit and covered it.

No wonder I ended up with this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Someone recently left a decent stack of singles in the thrift store.

25 cents each:
Bee Gees: How Deep Is Your Love/Can't Keep a Good Man Down
Monkees: Daydream Believer/Goin' Down (Colgems label)
Tommy James & the Shondells: Crimson & Clover/Some Kind of Love
Johnny Cash: A Boy Named Sue/San Quentin
Monkees: As We Go Along/Porpoise Song (Colgems)
Devo: Whip It/Girl U Want (1985 reissue)
George Harrison: My Sweet Lord/Isn't It a Pity

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

g-c posted:

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Reckoning - R.E.M
Abbey Road - The Beatles
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Who's Next - The Who
Some old Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, and Nat King Cole

and just a bunch of random albums by random artists. This has been one of the best weeks!

Yet no mention of the Love You album on top of the cabinet. I love that album, though it's their weirdest.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

traveling midget posted:

So there's this guy from craigslist who's selling this Beatles lot:

He's saying "give me an offer" which either means he thinks he has a goldmine and is going to want way too loving much, or he has no idea what he has, considering he called the White Album "White cover back in ussr".

Thoughts?

A handful of these are going for $15ish each on Discogs, given that I have no clue what actual pressing some of them are. I have no clue what to tell this guy.

Stay well away from it.

You don't know the pressings on several and you don't know the condition of the vinyl or covers or inserts. And if he's one of these guys who doesn't know what he has, he does know it's The Beatles. It's been my experience with collecting anything that if it's something very well-known and nostalgic, the seller automatically assumes that anything associated with it must be worth money.

Only if this were a singer/group not well-known in the US, say Tyrannosaurus Rex, would I even consider this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I finally checked out the little antiques place that's a block from me. There was a pretty good little section of records, so I bought this.

Brian Wilson. Age 20. Only marginally nutty.

It's difficult to find early Beach Boys albums in good shape and this one is spotless. The vinyl has no scratches at all.

They should have just stopped after Noble Surfer. That is one bad B side.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

Can anyone tell me a little more about this copy of The Beach Boys' Smile I found? The record label is Sea of Tunes, which I found out was run by the Wilson's father until he sold it in the late 60s. The copyright on the vinyl's label says Surfin' Records 1971, but there are little bits written on the back of the jacket about each song, and it mentions dates as late as 1993. There is no Capital Records logo on the cover, and above the title it says 'New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo'. It's just a plain black vinyl rather than one of the colored ones they apparently came out with. Anyone have any insight into when this came out, where it was made, etc?

Smile was never released as an album until Brian Wilson's CD release a few years ago (and also the recent one with the Beach Boys).

This is a bootleg.

I can't tell exactly which bootleg version this is, as there are a handful and I don't own any of them, but they range in quality. Some essentially ripped the tracks off the Good Vibrations box set, and some bootlegs (also) contain stuff that did slip out of the studios. Sea of Tunes is the most popular "label" for the bootlegs and once upon a time, the CD releases went for a good amount of money, but those were even the pre-original Napster days.

Back to Smile itself, the promotional art of the cover was released in the 1960s as well as a few articles hyping it. Smile stuff in various forms made it onto some albums over the next few years - Smiley Smile, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up - but other than that, none of the original stuff never saw an official release until Capitol's Good Vibrations box set in the 1990s.

Here's some stuff on Sea of Tunes, the publishing company started by Murry Wilson.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Good find on the T.Rex. I rarely come across any of that. Although I do have a white label promo coy of Tanx :smug:. Also that's technically not their first album. It's the first album under the shortened name and where they used electric guitar. They released four albums under than name Tyrannosaurus Rex. :goonsay:

I'm so glad someone is talking about T-Rex. No one ever give them their due. I love T-Rex.

Elemental Child on A Beard of Stars is also electric. Bolan was using a fuzz-type effect on it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

david puddy posted:

Speaking of The Beatles in mono, I just found this at a store about 15 minutes ago:

(click through for big)

It has a bit of surface noise but on the whole it's in pretty good nick. It's weird having a gatefold that opens at the top though.

Queen II opens at the top.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thrift store finds:

Promotional copy of Hawkwind. Cover is decent, but actual album looks perfect.

And 8-tracks of Leftoverture and Point of Know Return. My monster Panasonic turntable has a built-in 8-track player that still works. Don't know if these will, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thrift store finds:

Promotional copy of Yes' Tormato and the Beach Boys' Endless Summer.

The sticker on Tormato is "suggested cuts." Future Times and Rejoice are grouped together as one song and everything else is listed individually. The slipcover is a lyrics sheet and it's beginning to split on all sides. And I'm a Beach Boys fan and scoop up every album in decent shape I can find in the wild. The cover is a bit beat up, but both discs look quite good. On first glance, the artwork is abysmal, but on second glance, it's quite accurate. Everyone was on serious drugs.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This setup - a Panasonic SE-2680 - originally belonged to my father, but I lugged it up a flight of stairs this evening and put it together. He told me that it cost him over $300 and he paid it in installments. It looks like it came out in about 1976. If there were headphones, I've never seen them. There is a headphone jack adapter to a standard plug but I must not have grabbed it.

Bad photo, but it's a bad camera. The basic components: record player, tape player and one of two Thrusters speakers. There is a top to it, but I haven't reattached it.

Tape player.

Got a dragon on my back. It's a dragon attack!. The needle was replaced about 15 years ago, but still seems OK. Three choices here: regular albums, 45s, 78s.

Yes it works. There's significant bleedthrough, though, from program 1 on this tape. On the plus side, Bridge Over Troubled Water makes an interesting mashup with The Boxer.

I have about 20 albums. Nothing fancy, nothing bought new. Only a couple are Dad's as like every thrift store, he had a good many Linda Ronstadt albums.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 21, 2013

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Recent thrift store finds:

The only reason I picked up 90125 is because it was 25 cents. That is one aggressively mediocre album - I even like Big Generator better than it. Close to the Edge is just stunning on vinyl. The seams are split to hell on Something New, but cheap Beatles albums are hard to find. The singles are Genesis Abacab/Who Dunnit and The Cross' Shove It. I had no idea they attempted to market the latter in America.

Speaking of The Beatles, I was handed down this. It's promotional, isn't it?

The hole goes all the way through, snipping of a little section of the cutouts and the sleeve.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I found this at a thrift store some time back:

It's a single from the combination of Mimi Martel and Bud Roman. Martel sings Why Don't You Believe Me and Roman does one called I. It was distributed by Tops Records who apparently did cheap covers. Red is the only other color that has seemed to pop up and it looks like most Tops releases were on the standard black.

Yes, it says "unbreakable under normal use" and there is a big scratch on it. It's bad to enough to cause it get stuck, which is a shame as the Roman song isn't bad.

I'm also slowly going through an album collection I've inherited, with a few bits I've picked up over the years. Everything of Dad's is from his adult years and includes a ton of John Denver, Linda Ronstadt and ABBA. Other stuff appears to be mostly from a slew of albums an uncle of mine won in a contest. Some are good - greatest hits albums of The Animals and The Kinks - but most of it has stayed in storage. I grabbed the ABBA stuff this week and a couple of Ventures albums I had forgotten I had. The Ventures in Space is pretty awesome with an amazing cover of Out of Limits.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As there are no record shops within 2 hours of this place, I spent my weekend cataloging stuff I had in storage. I inherited stuff my parents had previously owned (lots of Linda Ronstadt and Doug Kershaw) and from a stack in my grandparents' closet. The grandparents liked country music so there's that and an uncle had apparently won a lot of albums in a contest - mostly back room dregs.

Since I am eventually going to add releases to Discogs that it doesn't have, I took a bunch of photos and here are a few highlights.

Promotional copy of this, one of the albums won in the contest. I've since listened to the cover of Scarborough Fair. It's interesting.

Gramps liked his Kitty Wells. It's not uncommon to see similar outfits on the era's female singers on album covers.

I have not a clue as to how this got into the collection. Both parents grew up in the middle of the sticks and neither ever went overseas. The booklet is written in German, French, Italian and English.

Gramps and grandma bought one of those massive console record players. This apparently came with it, part of a 4-5 album set of Zenith saluting various genres of music that my grandparents had no interest in hearing. "Collector's item" is my favorite part.

And the other set of grandparents get a record player. I think theirs was also a console.

Part of a library book sale. Vincent Price and Hyacinth Bucket.

I love the cover of this one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack - The Nice

I don't know if it's just a typo on your part considering the way everything else is formatted on your list, but that's the other way around. The Nice are the group. Rondo and Flower King of Flies are the standouts on that album.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme is awesome. 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night is one of those songs that's difficult to replicate in another format; it has to be on vinyl to be truly appreciated. Patterns is great, too. Of course Scarborough Fair, too.

Makes me jealous and I just went album hunting last week at an antique store.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

So as expected, the Goodwill vinyl selection was lacking, to say the least. The only exception is the the above 10" record. For me anyways, it stood out amongst the Linda Rondstadt and 1950s Christmas albums: it looked old as poo poo, was absolutely filthy (the above pics are AFTER I cleaned it, it probably could stand about 2 or 3 more trips through the Spin Clean) and felt really heavy in my hands. For a buck I figured I had little to lose.

It's actually... really, really good. No idea how old it is; my guess is somewhere between 1940 and 1945 (Edit: this would indicate ~1947). Muchachita sounds like it came straight off my Fallout soundtrack, while Los Timbales has a bit more Latin flair. It's also 78rpm shellac, my very first.

Probably not worth much more than the buck I paid for it (unsurprisingly, it's not listed on discogs), but for me at least, it's a neat little addition to the collection.

Shellac records are fun to look through as there are such a variety of group names. Out of the handful of records I have, my favorite artist name is Deacon Utley And The Smile A While Quartet which is, unsurprisingly, gospel. I also have an Arthur Godfrey one. On one side, he's accompanied by the Too Fat Trio, who had to be inspired by the Too Fat Polka, which Godfrey covered.

Yep, Discogs has few shellac records. I think all except perhaps two of the ones I cataloged were new additions.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

Essentially with a microgroove stylus you will ride in the bottom of the groove and just be dragging through poo poo the whole time. Dust, dirt, fragments of steel needle and record. A regular groove stylus is like night and day.

Some of the later 78s sound downright amazing with a regular stylus. Here's one I prepared earlier. This turntable is a really amazing performer on 78s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiQaFpkAZNU

I wish anything in my pile of 78s was half as awesome as that. My Panasonic setup from the early 1970s does have a setting for 78s, but almost everything I have is religious and almost always a single voice against perhaps two or three instruments. Gospel Boogie was pretty decent, though I expected better out of the Lawrence Welk. Bubbles in the Wine had one instrument sound like a low buzzing sound instead of whatever it was supposed to be. Of course, it doesn't help that all of the albums need to be cleaned.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Are the Hollywood Records vinyl pressings of Queen albums as bad as I assume they are?

I'm in a culture dead zone without a single record shop within 100 miles (and it's a bad one) and have had this strange desire to listen to Flick of the Wrist on my record player. There's copies on Amazon for a decent price, but I can't sort the reviews for vinyl only.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found a promotional copy of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for really cheap and I couldn't resist. This is apparently the original inner sleeve.

Yes, I have a crappy camera.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I inherited a beast of a turntable that is the same model as this one.

It's been in use for about 40 years, but when attempting to turn it off a couple of nights ago, the power switch broke. I assume the cable that connects it to the power source has broken as the button itself is fine. Does anyone know if it's a difficult fix? I sincerely doubt the turntable has ever been taken apart and I'm a bit nervous about touching it. There are two screws on each side connecting the faux-wood paneling.

I am going to buy an extension cable with a switch on it so I can power it off without having to unplug it, but was curious if it's something I could easily mess with.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MMD3 posted:

Has anybody found any good record/record player a/v furniture?

I'm looking for something that can hold receiver, turntable & records along the lines of this:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/drew-and-robyns-smart-and-sunny-logan-square-graystone-house-tour-206951#gallery/47877/6

or this:
http://www.atochadesign.com/products/the-open-close-cabinet

but ideally something slightly more reasonably priced than the second.

Anybody have a good solution that would look good in a mid-century decorated living room? (Ikea, while perfect for other rooms of our house wouldn't make sense in this room)

This is my current setup (pardon the ugly photo):

The table is an old end table that I was given that is unbelievably sturdy; it has to be to hold this beast of a turntable. I'd have records on the shelf, but it's not quite tall enough to hold them.

Something like this could found at nearly any thrift store and usually for around $20.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crappy photo from a crappy camera, but recent finds.

L.A. (Light Album), Shut Down Volume 2, Fragile and I keep buying hammy Wakeman solo work and he's the hammiest ham to ever ham on the picture in the gatefold.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My area of the state finally has an actual record store than isn't an FYE in a mall. It's an hour away. That said, so were both FYE's.

The prog selection isn't very good, but prices are more than reasonable on used.

Didn't really have much time to browse, but picked up (pardon the crappy camera):

Apparently, it's an earlier pressing of All Summer Long as Don't Back Down is credited as Don't Break Down on the front.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Are any needles better than others?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm looking at purchasing an Audio Technica turntable as a replacement for my mid-1970s Panasonic. Can the Thrusters speakers off that set be plugged into an Audio Technica? This would be temporary until I get something more decent.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

Half the time you'll discover you have a variant not listed and you're then faced with a dilemma of picking a release that is technically not what you have or committing to creating a new entry from scratch.

drat matrix numbers.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I have a few like that. A Longines history of the 1950s through news audio clips. Highlights of a few sports teams' seasons, too. There's a Boston Celtics one, the 1967 St. Louis Cardinals and the latest one I have, the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Boinks posted:

Is this the tape thread now? :) I bought a tape deck last weekend.

I'm just waiting on the 8-track thread. I have a release of Sweet Baby James on a canary yellow and Jethro Tull on blue.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

david_a posted:

How is this not an actual thing yet? Screw waiting your turn getting the actual records pressed, just sell the covers directly. There's clearly a market for it.

I could see some shameless record store doing this as a side business.

One around here sells covers for $2.50 each. Pretty sure it's exclusively old albums, though, as in someone brings in a box of their dad's/grandad's vinyl and there's a Ventures cover without the joy of having a Ventures album inside it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

petit choux posted:

Now THIS is America!

The White Knight is a redneck answer to Convoy. It's not exactly an uplifting trucker song, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MNSNTZR posted:

I can't stand all of the vinyl communities online that aren't in flyover states, because all y'all talk about is how much cool poo poo you find in Goodwills. All you find in Louisiana Goodwills are farted-up throw pillows, crock pots and "god bless white America" type gospel albums.

I'm in a very rural section and there's a lot of that here, too.

And once I found a copy of Hawkwind's first album.

That's by far the best thing that's ever shown up in a local Goodwill pile.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A human heart posted:

Do people really care about the special feature crap on all these classic rock box sets? like is dad that amped to listen to 33 outtakes of the same 10 Beatles songs?

I'd imagine there are more obsessives for this than for the Pet Sounds Sessions 20 years ago and it did OK.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Also, what if you've got a hankering for 78's? Got some of my grandma's old shellac records a while back and they're neat in a hosed-up "everyone remotely involved in this recording is long dead" kinda way.

Thrift stores and antique stores. They're usually in horrible shape, but occasionally you can find one intact.

Gospel Boogie is amazing. I have a cover version by something called Deacon Utley and the Smile-A-While Quartet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

There isn't a bad song on best of bee gees.

I have it on record. Their early stuff is sadly ignored compared to the (still good) disco era.

Also have one reel to reel. It's a recording of my dad's high school band. My grandmother saw an ad somewhere that you could send in a recording and they'd turn it into a record for you. The group went down to the local radio station and recorded a handful of songs using the one mic and primitive recording technology it had.

The records came back warped. Someone later recorded from the reel to reel to a cassette tape. They're pretty decent, singing a handful of Beatles songs as they had just hit America and they obviously couldn't figure out all the lyrics of House of the Rising Sun.