Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I came to post pictures of Shields but beaten by better quality shots so I will refrain. Insound shipped preorders a few days ago and mine arrived today as well. Does anyone know what is up with the gold edition? Is it available from all retailers for a limited time only or was it just Insound that had the gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
My second LP of Shields is popping really bad too (on side C especially). Already tried cleaning it with a wet brush... didn't really make it any better :(

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Back to Grizzly Bear Shields LP for a moment, does anyone here have a non-gold copy and can talk about the surface noise on it? The 1st LP of Shields is fine, it is the 2nd one that is really really noisy. Nothing makes me more sad than listening to new vinyl only to find that it ALREADY has noise on it, or worse, a bad mastering (thankfully that isn't the case with Shields but it is for lots of new releases).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Snowy posted:

Some ol Bullshit, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, and the last one, Hot Sauce 2

That is a remarkably awesome birthday gift. I've never been able to find Hello Nasty on vinyl at any shops... is it still in print? Didn't it just get re-mastered a couple years back?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah well if you are a collector yourself and your SO isn't then it will likely be construed as "thanks for getting me a gift that is clearly for you"

To contribute: I picked up J Dilla - Donuts (finally). Unfortunately it seems side A has a scratch or something causing some loud noise during the first 5-6 tracks :( Sigh. Maybe I'll try and get a copy with the original cover...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Has anyone picked up Flying Lotus - 'Until the Quiet Comes' yet? I was wondering if it comes with a digital download by chance?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Just bit on the Insound buy 10, get 20% off deal (christ). Quite a few of my selections were backordered unfortunately. Anyone know how long it typically takes Insound to fill backorders? I remember ordering a Dilla record for them a long time ago that languished in backorder hell for weeks until they finally cancelled it. I'm hoping that won't happen with their top sellers though.

The backordered stuff I bought included the new Kendrick, Madvillainy, Lonerism, and Until the Quiet Comes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Amazon had the Nevermind Deluxe 4LP re-issue as a lightning deal for $35 and I couldn't resist, even though the remastering of the original album is apparently complete poo poo (absolutely unheard of in this day and age, I know). I'm more interested in the other vinyls though with b-sides and session recordings.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Buying vinyl at shows is usually the best deal (and definitely for the artist), and they'll often have autographed copies available (at least at a lot of the indie shows I go to)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Not sure if there are many J Dilla fans here, but Donuts is being special released as a 7" box set in January. I just bought the normal, 2 LP version but I might get this anyway. Dammit.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I just realized I don't have any Beatles LPs in my collection which is a drat travesty if you ask me. I've decided to take up what I suspect will be a very expensive and arduous task of collecting my favorite records from their catalogue. There are just way too many reissues and whatnot, so I've come here to ask advice. Here are the albums I am most interested in getting (preferably in mono but I'm not sure what all is released/feasible to acquire):

- Abbey Road
- White Album
- Rubber Soul
- Revolver
- Sgt Pepper
- Let It Be
- Magical Mystery Tour

(anything else will be considered a bonus, these are my favorites though)

I was hoping for advice on how to get the best value (best condition, best mastering/mixing etc) on these titles and where I might search for them (discogs? ebay? retail?)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'm OK with a current issue pressing as long as it sounds good (so many vinyl re-issues these days are just plain lovely sounding - worse than CD etc). So there is a currently released version of White Album that is pretty good? Stereo is fine for those. I do care about audio quality obviously but I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by any stretch. Thanks for the tip on that forum.

edit: does anyone here have the stereo box set - http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Box/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354035671&sr=8-1&keywords=beatles+vinyl

The lazy bastard in me is thinking maybe I should just suck it up and buy this

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 27, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah from the Amazon reviews it sounds like the sound quality on the mastering is great but that unfortunately, even if your set is shipped in perfect condition, the discs within could be badly warped, scratched, finger printed, etc.

Blah... yeah I don't think I'm gonna do a $300 gamble because that would drive me loving crazy. I wonder if the individual reissues, which I assume are the same masters, fare any better? It is way more expensive to buy them individually though, of course.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah I think I'm gonna hold out and see what that mono box is like, I'd prefer to have the mono mixes anyway.

Cemetry Gator posted:

accidentally left the Pro-Logic circuitry running on your amplifier.

Oh, Pro-Logic tsk tsk you need to get yourself a silver face stereo amp ;)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
edit: ^^^ thanks all for the info on the Beatles LPs. Sorry it didn't even occur to me before I posted that this has probably already been discussed at least once in this thread.

iostream.h posted:

Black face Pioneer trumps your blinged out fancyness!

Good sir, I beg to differ, silver faces are all class on the outside and all beast on the inside. Here is mine -

Never really able to turn it much past quarter volume though or my neighbors will kill me :(

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 27, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The best way to get a vintage amp, IME, is just to keep an eye on Craigslist and be patient. Sometimes record stores will have vintage equipment for sale but it tends to be overpriced as hell. I'd recommend seeking out a private seller - save a query that includes these brands: Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui and you can't really go wrong with any of their silver face offerings. Outside of those three I'm sure there are good ones to be found I'm just not familiar with them. If you find one that you want, post it here and I or someone else can help you figure out if it is a good value. You'll be so glad you did it.

When you go to buy, make sure the owner has some speakers that you can test it on. You'll want to test the phono stage too if possible (hint - this means you don't need an external pre-amp, so if your turntable has one built in you want to disable it, the switch is normally found under the platter). Give all the nobs a twist and see if they're working etc. Scratchy knobs can usually be fixed easily with some pots cleaner. Also don't worry about bulbs being out - these can be replaced easily too usually.

Don't be mislead by low WPC - my Sansui is only like 55 WPC and it is incredibly powerful (ie. turning it much past 3/8th becomes painful for normal listening). Anything 45 WPC and up for a vintage stereo receiver will probably be plenty for home listening. Anyway, my Sansui blows all of my new modern black faces out of the loving water (including a $500 Denon). You will be amazed at how much better a vintage silver face sounds compared to even your Denon 5.1, which I assume by modern standards is a pretty nice receiver.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 27, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, if you really rely on the 5.1 experience for movies and TV that would be silly (as you'd need a redundant set of speakers), but I don't really, so I ditched my surround sound for a stereo setup and haven't looked back.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah I'm sorry for the epic stereo-talk derail but it does go hand in hand with vinyl collecting if you ask me.

Also I think it is a bit silly to use studio monitors for home-listening... they're designed for a completely different purpose but whatever floats your boat sir.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Anyone who says the Beatles suck or can't at least appreciate their significance is really not worth listening to. Just my 2 cents.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Well my Nevermind special edition 4 LP thingie came today aaaand... well it is the worst sounding vinyl I've ever heard. It sounds like absolute loving garbage. Loudness war bullshit.

I should have just trusted the Amazon reviews... if anyone is planning on getting this just stay away. Stay far away. At least it looks good on the shelf.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cheesus posted:

What blew me away about that release is including the boombox demos.

Yup. They sound just as bad as you might think. I can safely say I'll never be returning any of these LPs to my turntable... thinking about just selling it. I got it almost 50% off on a Amazon black friday lightning deal.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So I picked up the new re-issue of the White Album. It sounds fantastic, one of the better mastering jobs I've heard on an LP in quite some time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Don't skimp on your turntable. A lovely or old/poorly-maintained turntable WILL ruin every single record in your collection given the opportunity. I have a bunch of records that I can't listen to anymore because I got them early on in my vinyl days and didn't know what the gently caress I was doing and let them get badly damaged on crummy players.

Actually don't skimp on any part of your setup. I'm not sure where you're gonna find a receiver and speakers for $60, that is really low even for lovely gear.

edit: seconding the AT-LP120, great quality direct-drive for the price (as all the reviews indicate, just read the top review on Amazon the guy goes into heavy detail about almost every component). I got mine used off Craigslist for $100.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 16, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can't speak to either of those units in particular but I wouldn't buy something that can only play at 33 1/3 speed (as the latter indicates). It's not super uncommon for something to be put out on 45 these days.

Anything you buy used though you'll want to demand a demo. Belt-driven or motor, you want to have a listen to make sure the speed is accurate, get an idea of the condition of the needle/cartridge (ask when they were last replaced, demand a lower price if they will need to be replaced again soon) , etc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Finally found a copy of the excellent Raekwon album Cuban Linx 2 on purple vinyl!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 1, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks, I found it randomly on this little hiphop label/distributor's site for only 14.99... They might have more: Fat Beats

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Jumping on the Insound blows train.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Not sure if anyone else ordered this, but the Dilla - Donuts box set of 45s got delayed til end of the month. Apparently due to competition w/Beatles re-issues at the same pressing plant.

Like they point out, Pitchfork has a really beautiful gallery of the box set up. If you're into flipping records ever 2-3 minutes, this is right up your alley.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How hard is it/how long does it take to perform the 'manual speed change' from 33 -> 45 or vice-versa on those Carbons?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
question about turntable setup if anyone happens to be familiar with it (belt-driven):

i recently got a pro-ject turntable (T1 so pretty basic model from them) and i think the cartridge got messed up a little while it was shipping. it was loose in the headshell and the stylus cover had fallen off in the box. anyway i know i should have exchanged it but i was too lazy to send something that heavy and delicate back so i learned how to align and calibrate it myself. i also attempted to verify that the stylus was not damaged using a magnifying glass. so during playback everything works fine now and it sounds great to my ears BUT...

issue: as soon as a side is over, if i dont catch it pretty quickly, the tone arm will quickly slide over to the center of the record (like within a matter of seconds) and scratch into the label sticker. is that common or did i gently caress something up calibrating it (maybe the counter weight is off idk)?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thanks! i believe it did come with an analog vtf gauge. it's a little white plastic thing you rest on the platter and then lower the arm onto a specific point thats marked, adjusting the counterweight until it balances perfectly? does that sound like the right thing

edit: didnt see your link at first. cool!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever

nice how much did you get this for if you dont mind me asking? is there a recent reissue? i have a copy in my discogs cart but its $45 :ohdear: i couldnt find it at any of my local shops

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i saw urban outfitters has back in stock the 30th anniversary edition of snoop dogg's seminal work "doggystyle" on nice clear double vinyl. it's kind of pricey for a new record but i could further justify it to myself if somebody tells me it might be worth more someday even after i open and play it a bunch of times. lie to me idc

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

sporklift posted:

drat. Pretty sure I picked up a copy of that for ten bux a couple years ago... fake edit: lol six years ago. poo poo.

in other words it has already appreciated by nearly 300% ... i better buy now !!! :getin:

edit: i was talking about the 30th anniversary edition - https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/snoop-dogg-doggystyle-2xlp - album came out in 1993 :v:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2023

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I wonder if that is something that a repair shop could have fixed? I think the way electronics are built these days, it's often more expensive to pay for a repair than to just buy a replacement, but that Pioneer looks just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.

i have a silver face sansui from the late 60s that needed some fairly standard maintenance work. nothing even that complicated just mostly cleaning and replacing a bulb. anyway i could only find one shop in <fairly major city> that would agree to work on it, and after dragging their feet for a few weeks, they finally did a mediocre job and charged me more than i had paid for the unit on craigslist. the reviews for this shop were abysmal but i had no other option and they're literally the only game in town. seems like there's just not many places that have people knowledgeable enough to work on these old amps much these days. everyone that works at the shop i used looked like they were at least 60+

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah i would def take a stab at it myself next time but i was gunsht at the time. i rarely use the unit much anymore. i just like the way it looks and knowing that it more or less works.

i actually originally took it to the shop because the channel balance was messed up (ie. when i have the balance at 12 oclock, one of the channels is noticeably louder than the other). not sure what causes something like that but they didnt even fix that part so i was doubly pissed when i finally got it back from them. it's a simple enough work around to just balance out using the knob i guess it just irks me that it aint perfect :v:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

I know this isn't technically the stereo thread but, how make-or-break do you consider the receiver in your setup?

im not an audiophile or expert so take it with a grain of salt but in my experience the amp/receiver and speakers are the two most important components in any sound system. upgrading other components can certainly help but pair a great amp with bad speakers and it will sound bad. pair great speakers with a bad amp and that also sounds bad.

i had kind of a cheap kenwood early 2000s surround sound receiver for a long time and when i upgraded it to the sansui silverface stereo i mentioned upthread (its a 5000A if you want to see more about the specs) using the same speakers (KEFs, which are quite nice speakers i inherited from a family member) it almost literally blew me away the first time i turned it on with the volume at 50%. the difference was absolutely night and day moreso than ive ever experienced upgrading other parts of my system or any other audio equipment in general.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have a random question does anyone happen to have tool - aenima on lp? i got a copy that is some kind of bootleg (judging by the price at least i think it must be). anyway it sounds kinda disappointing to my ear (overall quiet but especially lacking bass it seems :confused:) i was just wondering what other versions are like or if the mix on this album just sucks and ive never noticed

edit; i just compared it to my copy of undertow and wow this (bootleg?) aenima sounds like assssssss to the degree i did not even know was possible. oh well

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 4, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the ultimate CD period piece would be one of those massive 100 disc changers that people had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the ones in cars were the most unreliable (for perhaps obvious reasons :v:). discs would get lodged into them all the time. especially the ones integrated into the dash via a single slot rather than a cartridge under the seat or in the trunk. one of the ones in my car broke but the discs that were in it at the time could still be played and cycled through reliably enough, just never changed again